Splunk Insights for Infrastructure OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is #17 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. IT Central Station users give Splunk Insights for Infrastructure an average rating of 8 out of 10. Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is most commonly compared to PRTG Network Monitor:Splunk Insights for Infrastructure vs PRTG Network Monitor. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Splunk Insights for Infrastructure?

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is a new monitoring product from Splunk that unifies metrics and logs to do performance management and troubleshooting. It takes minutes to set up and for small environments, it's free (up to 200 GB of storage, which is about 50 servers).

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is also known as Splunk Insights.

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Buyer's Guide

Download the Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Customers

Entrust Datacard

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Video

Archived Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Reviews (more than two years old)

SM
Senior Network Administrator at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Quick log searching and good reporting helps us to consolidate and track incidents

• "The most valuable feature in this solution is the log searching."
  • "This solution is difficult to configure and the instructions are complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to examine the logs and consolidate and track incidents.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in this solution is the log searching.

The search indexing is very fast.

Mainly I like the reporting in this solution.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution is very high and can be improved.

This solution is difficult to configure and the instructions are complex.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

This is a stable solution and we have had no issues.

This solution is being used every night.

The scalabililty is ok. If you want to scale then it's fine.

We have not contacted technical support.

I have used multiple solutions, and I find that searching the logs in this solution is very quick.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward, without too much problem.

You have to take the training, otherwise, you are going to have trouble.

The deployment takes between two and three hours.

We received help from an integrator to help implement this solution.

One person is needed for deployment and maintenance.

We have seen ROI since implementing this solution.

This is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product, but my advice is that you have to be trained in order to use it, otherwise you will be lost.

SoheylNorozi
IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The data integration is good but it should have a simpler interface

• "The feature I find most valuable, is the data integration."
  • "I would like to see an improvement and some innovation in the customer interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are IT consultants and our primary use case for this solution is for analyzing machine data.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the data integration.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement and some innovation in the customer interface, which puts something in your design. If we able to customize more parts of the user interface, it would be great. I also think the scalability should be improved.

I've been using this solution for a year now.

The solution is stable and I haven't seen any box glitches or crashes.

We have a hundred users. I really do not know how scalable the solution is. I couldn't find any submission for a flat fee and for expanding the installation in my last project. So perhaps this is also something that can be improved.

I am happy with the support, how they respond and help to solve issues.

The initial setup is straightforward and you can do it yourself.

What other advice do I have?

My experience with this solution in analyzing machine data is really good. The interface could be simplified and I would like to have more clustering. On a scale of one to ten, I rate this solution a seven.

Learn what your peers think about Splunk Insights for Infrastructure. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Abdullah El Deeb
Technical Consultant/Instructor at SIGMA IT
Leaderboard
Good stability and technical support but requires more sensors for fiber intelligence

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is its ability to get information about all of the security measurements in my environment.

What needs improvement?

The solution should have more sensors regarding fiber intelligence for security measures.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The stability is pretty good. I'd say it's about 80% stable.

I don't consider the solution scalable.

Technical support is very helpful. They make contacting them easy.

We're also currently using IBM Pure Adarius.…

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two years.

The stability is pretty good. I'd say it's about 80% stable.

I don't consider the solution scalable.

Technical support is very helpful. They make contacting them easy.

We're also currently using IBM Pure Adarius. Although we do use both consecutively, I do prefer Splunk. It's more digital and more open.

The initial setup is very easy.

If you compare it to IBM, the solution has fairly good pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

RG
CEO with 11-50 employees
Evaluates the logs in an efficient way which enhances utility and efficiency

• "The tool is efficient in collecting, monitoring and evaluating logs."
  • "The product collects a lot of data but it does not assure that it collects all of it."

What is our primary use case?

For us, we use this product to create a special kind of log. It just logs everything for what it is monitoring and does the parsing afterward based on a packet that you impose on the logs. Then you can extract the data out of the fields that the logs normally comprised of.

Typically, people just monitor applications, network infrastructure, and compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us another tool for monitoring our infrastructure in a different way.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable feature is that you easily get adapted to standard components. So, you don't need to involve the user with interface and GUI decorations. The tool just evaluates the logs in an efficient way. This enhances utility and efficiency.

What needs improvement?

What I don't like is that you are not sure all the data is recorded. Our product is better in these areas of functionality. Splunk is quite a bit different. When you transfer some logs at the end of the day you are never sure that you grab everything or not. The transport layer is not so well done and could be better.

What should be better in the solution to make Splunk a ten out of ten is a question I would rather not answer. That is an area where the products delivered by our companies compete in some ways.

This product is very stable. There is no doubt about the fact that it performs as expected when we use it as far as stability is concerned.

There is no issue with scalability at all.

The support is sufficient and responsive. We already know the product so we do not need to consult with them often. The documentation is pretty well done and covers most issues. They have some smaller issues with service, but normally you get what you need when you contact them. The technical support is okay and it is not an issue.

We use both Splunk and another solution simultaneously for somewhat different purposes.

For me, the initial setup seemed quite easy and not complicated at all. We are in the business so a little knowledge helps.

We are consultants, and we know a lot about Splunk and many other products. So one branch of our company takes care of the sizing and interviewing for new data professions and services for banks. Because of our experience, we now know these tools and the pros and cons of using any of them and why you would choose one over another. Security issues are one of our core capabilities.

As far as pricing, you can negotiate with the company, but I'd say the price is fairly high for the product. The typical price for competing products is also quite high, so it is not necessarily bad. It's a good product — that is not the problem. But there is more and more competition in the market and their prices stay high. I think that the pricing and marketing situation gets more difficult for Splunk. By comparison, with our tools in the other solution we use, you can do the same evaluation. All you need is an employee to run the product, but the pricing is way lower. So, I think that cost has become an issue for Splunk over the long run.

There are also costs in addition to the standards licensing which raises the cost even more.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give to companies considering this type of solution is that choosing the right solution all depends on what you want to do. I'd say Splunk makes more sense if you only want to have one tool or service to monitor. A lot of our infrastructure is not complex. I just put Splunk there, I collect the logs and I calculate what I need. I do that step-by-step, so it is a bit difficult as an approach when things are more complex. You want to reduce complexity when monitoring just one single service. Our business is focused on monitoring. We don't want monitoring to care about software distribution and additional concerns. So, if it is just straight forward monitoring of a service that you need to do, then I think then you're right to use this product. There are other potential solutions.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Splunk as an eight.

it_user782697
Security Operation Center Analyst at Sadad
Easily gather and manage any types of logs for analysis

• "The Add data feature lets you gather any type of log and easily analyze it."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see more integration with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for security management. We gather security logs from intrusion detection and prevention systems, such as firewalls, web application firewalls, and system logs from Linux and Windows servers, as well as anti-malware system logs.

We combine them with Splunk to analyze our security level for our company. We use this data to analyze our company security situation and to define security use cases, like attacks. When we find these attacks, we contain them and mitigate our security flaws in our business environment.

What is most valuable?

The Add data feature lets you gather any type of log and easily analyze it. This is easier than using other solutions like ArcSight or Elasticsearch for example.

We can use these logs with our data processes to explain our situation.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see more integration with other solutions. For example, Juniper, ManageEngine, PAM (Privileged Access Monitoring), and Wallix.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

We don't use technical support because we are under sanction. We use our own knowledge and team to implement and to develop Splunk.

We have used ArcSight and Elasticsearch.

The initial setup is easy.

Splunk has a good community. They have good opinions and suggestions for deployment.

It took one year to deploy and implement Splunk completely.

The implementation is easier than other solutions.

I implemented and deployed this solution by myself.

What other advice do I have?

I am not certified with Splunk, but I am a system administrator. I passed the fundamentals one and two.

This is a very good solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.