SD
Assistant Manager System at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, with easy log connection and the capability to scale

• "Its compatibility with other SIEMS is very useful."
  • "We find that the maintenance process could be a lot better."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Splunk as a SIEM tool. We're using it for monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The ease of log connection has been great.

Its compatibility with other SIEMS is very useful.

They have many basic use cases that we like.

The cloud version of the solution is especially scalable.

The product has been quite stable so far.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

Technical support is lacking post-sale.

The modification of firmware could be improved.

We find that the maintenance process could be a lot better.

The solution is more expensive than other options on the market.

We haven't been using the solution for too long at this point. It's been about four months or so.

The stability has been good. It offers good performance and doesn't seem to be buggy. There aren't glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable. This is especially true for the cloud deployment model. There really isn't anything holding you back if you use that version.

We have around 100 people on the solution currently. 60 to 70 of those are technical users.

We do plan to keep using Splunk

Technical support services are lacking, especially after you buy the product. They aren't as helpful or responsive as we need them to be. However, when we do reach them, they are good and they help.

I have used McAfee Nitro in the past and IBM QRadar as well.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward. In fact, it's far easier to install than other log tools on the market. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

That said, I did not work on the installation myself. Other people at the company handled that aspect of the process.

The maintenance process could be better. It's a bit difficult once the deployment is done. We need about five people for maintenance tasks.

When you compare the services and features, the pricing is reasonable. That said, if you compare Splunk to other options on the market, it is more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

As we recently purchased the solution, we are using the latest version right now.

I would recommend the solution to other users.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. If the solution offered a better price and better support services, I would likely rate it higher. However, for the most part, we have been satisfied with the product and its capabilities.

HimanshuTejwani
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Very straightforward, easy to configure, stable and scalable.

• "This is a straightforward solution, easy to configure."
  • "This is a costly solution."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Splunk is for log monitoring and infrastructure monitoring. If we want to diagnose any issue in our application, we just push our application logs. This is on any client server using the universal forwarder logs on the Splunk server. After indexing, we can create a base log, and create attractive dashboards that are simple to understand and use. I'm a system administrator and we are customers of Splunk.

What is most valuable?

This is a straightforward solution, easy to configure and difficult to mess up.

What needs improvement?

Splunk is a very costly solution and I think it's the most expensive in the market in terms of costing. Splunk provides an application for infrastructure monitoring. If we're monitoring the docker with containers, we can't see the container name, only the ID. That's a big drawback.

I've been using this solution for two years.

This is a stable solution. Deployment takes one person, it can be a system admin or an engineer.

This is a scalable solution. We can do the clustering of it for large applications. We have around 15 users for this product.

If I have any issues, I'll go to the community. I can generally get a response within a day. Although most of the documentation is good, some of it is unclear, particularly if you're new to the product.

I think it takes around 10 minutes to install it on the server. On the client side, it takes around five minutes. I do the installation myself.

What other advice do I have?

If you're going with this solution, make sure that when implementing the ports are open. If they're not open, it creates problems with the server. Other than that, this is a very stable and very easy to configure product. We can easily deploy and easily use. Other similar solutions are difficult to configure, Splunk is the simplest. I've used three or four monitoring tools and Splunk is the easiest. If a company can afford it, this is a good product. We are planning to shift to another product because of the cost. We're searching for an open source or cheaper product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10. They lose one point for the price and lack of infrastructure support.

Learn what your peers think about Splunk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SS
Consultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good scalability, dashboards, and alarms, but should have a default dashboard for a firewall and better knowledge base

• "Its dashboard is valuable. If you have a good knowledge of how to create a dashboard, you can create any dashboard related to cybersecurity. If fine-tuned, the alarms that are triggered for instant review are also very valuable and useful."
  • "Splunk is query-based, which is not the case with most cybersecurity tools. It is based on search queries and can be difficult to use. It would be good if they can make it easier to understand how to create search queries. They can improve the knowledge base for better understanding. To create your dashboard, you need to have a search query. We have multiple firewalls in our company, and we need a dashboard for them. It would be helpful if a default firewall dashboard is included in Splunk to make monitoring easier. If a dashboard is available for a security device, the operation part will be more efficient. We won't have to follow a manual process for this."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Splunk for cybersecurity operations.

What is most valuable?

Its dashboard is valuable. If you have a good knowledge of how to create a dashboard, you can create any dashboard related to cybersecurity. If fine-tuned, the alarms that are triggered for instant review are also very valuable and useful.

What needs improvement?

Splunk is query-based, which is not the case with most cybersecurity tools. It is based on search queries and can be difficult to use. It would be good if they can make it easier to understand how to create search queries. They can improve the knowledge base for better understanding.

To create your dashboard, you need to have a search query. We have multiple firewalls in our company, and we need a dashboard for them. It would be helpful if a default firewall dashboard is included in Splunk to make monitoring easier. If a dashboard is available for a security device, the operation part will be more efficient. We won't have to follow a manual process for this.

I have been using this solution for eight months.

In terms of operations, it is stable, but if you don't have a proper configuration and sizing, there could be many issues. It could be more efficient on the storage part. We are still in the deployment stage to be able to say that for sure.

It is very scalable. Currently, we have around 50 users. We will increase its usage if more people need access.

We have raised multiple tickets. Some of them are good, and some of them can be better. Overall, their technical support is okay.

We didn't use any other solution.

I didn't do the initial configuration. I take care of the operations part. One of our clients did it, and it is somehow complex, and it takes time. It also depends on your knowledge. If you don't have knowledge of Splunk, it is complex.

We are a partner of Splunk. So, we did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Splunk a seven out of ten.

TG
Sr. Cyber Security and Solutions Architect at a government with 10,001+ employees
Robust, with the ability to capture different data streams and good reporting capabilities

• "It allows us to digest the information, the data, the different data streams, so we can make decisions based upon information that we receive, and it is pretty robust."
  • "The configuration could be better."

What is our primary use case?

It's the mainstay of our monitoring solutions that we have for auto-logging, et cetera, for our enterprise solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the ability to capture the different data streams. We also appreciate the reporting in that aspect of Splunk. If we can grow now, with any security arena, it's going to be proactive, not reactive. It allows us to digest the information, the data, the different data streams, so we can make decisions based upon information that we receive, and it is pretty robust.

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be better.

We would like to see improved pricing, however, I'm kind of out of that arena. I make suggestions based upon the flexibility with which we serve our customer base, which is millions of our veterans. I would say that if someone was not familiar with it, one of the things that I've heard is that it's kind of hard for them to understand the whole thing. Splunk is just one piece to the puzzle. It's not the whole puzzle. It's kind of not the solution's fault, in that sense. That said, if it could be more accessible to people with different skillsets, that would be ideal.

We'd like to see reporting where there's a way that we can get a higher description without being too technical, for example, where it's kind of more of an executive-level of technical.

I've personally been using the solution for over ten years. At this point, it's been more than a decade. I've used it for a while now.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Splunk.

We use the latest version. I'm not hands-on. I'm called the architect, however, we do use the latest version as that's a part of our configuration management framework, that all of our applications - especially in security - are up-to-date with the latest and greatest updates, bells, and whistles. We use both public and private clouds.

In terms of creating the solution, for what we do from an enterprise standpoint, everything from monitoring to data capture to reporting, we would rate it at a nine out of ten.

Praful Bhatnagar
Principal Systems Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A reliable and complete solution, but the pricing model is complex and it's expensive

• "The completeness of the solution is what we like the most."
  • "It's difficult to set up initially, and their billing model is also a bit complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the mobile SDK to check the stability of mobile applications.

What is most valuable?

The completeness of the solution is what we like the most.

What needs improvement?

We have to predict in advance how much data we will have and what the storage would be that we don't have. This makes the licensing complicated because when you start you don't have these numbers.

In order to know how much it will cost, you need those numbers.

I really wish that it was an application that was easier to use.

I have been working with Splunk for more than five years.

We have not experienced any issues.

For our use cases, we have not required any scaling.

The technical support is fine. At times, they take time to respond back but it may have been the support contract that our client had.

I would assume that they are not as responsive as we want them to be.

We have a team of approximately 100 people who are responsible for the development of mobile applications, DevOps, and application development.

The licensing cost model is complicated.

I think that most of the monitoring solutions are expensive. I wish they were less expensive, for all types of products for monitoring.

We work with Splunk, but we are looking for some LOG Kinetics solutions for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely suggest sending people to analyze or evaluate Splunk.

Because the licensing model is very complicated to understand, it would be better to start with another product that provides a better licensing model. Later, if the product is not working well, they can consider using Splunk and may have a better understanding of the cost.

For me, I would not recommend Splunk as their first solution unless they have all of the data that is required.

I would rate Splunk a seven out of ten.

Attila Mate Kovacs
Senior Cyber Security Expert at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Great performance, easy to set up, and offers good speed

• "The level of robustness on offer is very good."
  • "The complexity could be worked on so that it's even easier and faster."

What is our primary use case?

Typically, we use the solution for critical infrastructure companies.

What is most valuable?

The speed is a very valuable aspect of the solution.

The way Splunk handles low data and low-rate costs are great.

The level of robustness on offer is very good.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

We have found that the solution offers good integrations with other products.

Overall, the solution works very well.

What needs improvement?

The complexity could be worked on so that it's even easier and faster. However, I understand that, if some complexity was removed, there might be slightly more limitations.

Occasionally there are data sizing and data-related issues that need to be overcome.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years.

The performance is very good. It's something that customers are always looking for. The product offers good stability. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have about five to ten partners that use Splunk.

I'm a fan of QRadar. I use them as well.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process. The deployment process doesn't take too long. You can manage it with fewer people and smaller teams. This is especially true if it isn't the critical infrastructure that you are working with.

For deployment and maintenance, you only need two to three people. That can include one manager and two professionals. Since Splunk is easier to handle, more people can join in on the client-side.

We also use QRadar, and we make more money with QRadar than with Splunk as we can make bigger projects happen. However, we find that with Splunk, while we don't make as much money on each project, we can do more of them.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Julio Ortiz
General Manager at Intersoft S.A.
Reseller
A great solution for application management, security and compliance

• "The correlation capabilities are the first value that our clients say they like with Splunk."
  • "The difficult part is related to integration with sources of data that are used to create the logs as this depends on the infrastructure of the client."

What is our primary use case?

We use Splunk for security and also PCI compliance.

We have installed and implemented this solution for several clients in Bolivia with our team. We have received training from Splunk directly, and we have also provided training to our clients.

We deploy two versions: one for on-premise and one for the cloud.

Most of our customers purchase Splunk because they required a tool for gathering and collecting all of the logs from the infrastructure in order to make a correlation between data and to spot patterns surrounding security incidents.

What is most valuable?

The correlation capabilities are the first value that our clients say they like with Splunk. Another benefit is that they can connect to any device or log from any device from anywhere.

It's easy, the tool is very easy to install and set up.

What needs improvement?

They could have more dashboards done or predefined so our clients could use them directly in order to have more information ready to use.

We have been using this solution for more than five years.

Stability-wise, it's great.

We do not require much scalability here because the clients are not so big; however, the hardware where we installed the products was enough to handle all the transactions of Splunk.

The support is not so good, I would only give them a rating of six or seven.

They should provide support in Spanish here in Latin America. Their response time to inquires or requirement tickets is too long. It should be shorter.

Deployment took us two weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Splunk to any company: small, medium, and large.

Splunk is a great tool but you should get a partner who knows what they are doing, implementation-wise.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Splunk a rating of nine.

SO
Founder at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to deploy and relatively simple learning curve; could be more user friendly

• "Easy to deploy and simple to use."
  • "Could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution to try to build a virtual network and put Splunk inside it and do some kind of transcentralization with a log server. Our aim is to track connections, network traffic and some personal databases. I'm the founder of the company and we are customers of Splunk.

What is most valuable?

Splunk can quickly be deployed and it's not difficult to learn the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more user friendly and it's difficult to know at this stage whether our requirements will be met by the solution.

I've been using this solution for a couple of months.

The solution is stable.

Scalability is good with Splunk.

The initial setup doesn't take much time especially if there's good bandwidth. In a small company deployment might take a month or two. If you have 100 devices then a technical team of three should be sufficient. They would need to be able to deal with log analysis, forensics and have general knowledge about admin systems. In time, we would expect to have thousands of users.

I think Splunk is expensive compared to other tools at the purchase stage. It's possible that if we can keep control of the costs involved down the track, it won't be so bad.

We studied four or five tools including Logrhythm and Exabeam. We went with Splunk for now and will see how that goes.

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a good solution and rate it a seven out of 10.