Spring Boot Overview

Spring Boot is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Java Frameworks. It is most often compared to Jakarta EE: Spring Boot vs Jakarta EE

What is Spring Boot?

Spring Boot is designed to get developers up and running as quickly as possible, with minimal upfront configuration of Spring. Spring Boot takes an opinionated view of building production-ready applications. Make implementing modern application best practices an intuitive and easy first practice! Build microservices with REST, WebSocket, Messaging, Reactive, Data, Integration, and Batch capabilities via a simple and consistent development experience.

Spring Boot Buyer's Guide

Download the Spring Boot Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Spring Boot Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Spring Boot pricing:
  • "Spring Boot is free; even the Spring Tools Suite for Eclipse is free."
  • "This is an open-source product."

Spring Boot Reviews

Randy Masciana
CEO at Modal Technologies Corporation
Mar 14, 2020
Good security and integration, and the autowiring feature saves on development time

What is our primary use case?

I primarily rely on Spring Boot as the core microservices framework, used for creating myriad solutions for health care and for the financial services industries. Environments change, depending on client commitments and budgets, but Spring Boot remains as the successful nexus for all development. I have used it for both SQL and NoSQL solutions, including both caching and non-caching environments. With over 20 Spring modules to select for possible augmentation of the basic Spring Boot platform, there is nearly always a solution available. In cases, where some additional, narrow functionality is… more »

• "I have found the starter solutions valuable, as well as integration with other products."
  • "Perhaps an even lighter-weight, leaner version could be made available, to compete with alternative solutions, such as NodeJS."

What other advice do I have?

Spring Boot is a great way to implement microservices in the Cloud. It is an especially good choice if the requirements include background processing and calculations, which make the application a poor candidate for a lighter-weight solution, such as NodeJS.
reviewer1352904
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jun 1, 2020
Very smooth implementation; excellent features for monitoring and tracking network calls

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to develop APIs used by single-page applications. It's almost exclusively for web applications and sometimes for communication between micro services, meaning two Spring Boot apps talking to each other. I develop API and the processes, using open API to define before developing them. With Spring Boot we generate the code and we serve the API's to this single-page application or other micro services. I use it almost every day. It's open source, so we don't have any partnership with them, we're a customer. I'm a software engineer.

• "Features that help with monitoring and tracking network calls between several micro services."
  • "Having to restart the application to reload properties."

What other advice do I have?

For anyone wanting to implement Spring Boot, I would recommend watching the developer, Josh Long, on You Tube. He has a lot of explanation videos showing the basics of Spring Boot. It shows what you can do in few steps, and you can then go to start.spring.iu, download your first project and start working on it. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Spring Boot. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Venkatesan Alagapillai
Team Lead at cei
Aug 18, 2020
It gives you confidence in one readily available platform

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version of Java Spring Boot. We can just start with the application within a day. When we start developing we can just start up the application development immediately and work for like four or five hours. We are using it for logistics companies and will be logging thousands of users. Companies of three thousand to four thousand users are what we are using it for.

• "It gives you confidence in a readily available platform."
  • "communicationbetween different services from the third party layers or with the legacy applications needs to improve."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend looking into logistics and buying a domain to use Spring Boot. I would rate Java Spring Boot at a nine on a scale of ten.
Daniel Chang'Masa
Consultant at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Sep 10, 2020
Stable and scalable with a fairly easy setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for building applications.

• "The cloud version is very scalable."
  • "The security could be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. We use both on-premises and cloud deployment models at this time. I would highly recommend the solution. It's worked quite well for us and we've been really happy with it overall. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. In terms of the overall accommodations made by the product, it could be a bit better. If it was, I would rate it higher.
Deepti Shibad
Associate Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 13, 2020
Stable, scalable, lightweight, and easy to install

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for various in-house applications and products.

• "The platform is easy for developers to download."
  • "It needs to be simplified, more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

Spring Boot is a good product to get started with, especially when there are services to be written, in particular, when in the new microservices area. They need to look for the unnecessary binary size that gets increased, otherwise, it's good. I would recommend this solution I would rate Spring Boot an eight out of ten.
Andrey Rogov
CEO at a government with 1-10 employees
Nov 28, 2019
A great product that simplifies development for business applications

What is our primary use case?

I'm the CEO of our company and a user of Spring Boot. I use the product on a daily basis for business applications. It's great because it simplifies development. Together with MyBatis, they make a beautiful pair for Java development. I'll be developing with Spring Boot in the future.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by supporting and integrating Hadoop. A year ago Spring Boot announced that they were removing Hadoop support from the product but many software companies work with Hadoop and Cassandra, and I really think that Spring Boot should renew the Hadoop connection.

I've been using Spring Boot since 2003 when the framework was created.

What do I think about the stability of the