Spring Boot OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Spring Boot is #2 ranked solution in top Java Frameworks. IT Central Station users give Spring Boot an average rating of 8 out of 10. Spring Boot is most commonly compared to Eclipse MicroProfile:Spring Boot vs Eclipse MicroProfile. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Spring Boot?

Spring Boot is designed to get developers up and running as quickly as possible, with minimal upfront configuration of Spring. Spring Boot takes an opinionated view of building production-ready applications. Make implementing modern application best practices an intuitive and easy first practice! Build microservices with REST, WebSocket, Messaging, Reactive, Data, Integration, and Batch capabilities via a simple and consistent development experience.

Spring Boot Buyer's Guide

Download the Spring Boot Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Spring Boot Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Spring Boot pricing:
  • "Spring Boot is free; even the Spring Tools Suite for Eclipse is free."
  • "It's open-source software, so it's free. It's a community license."
  • "This is an open-source product."

Spring Boot Reviews

RM
CEO at Modal Technologies Corporation
Good security and integration, and the autowiring feature saves on development time

• "I have found the starter solutions valuable, as well as integration with other products."
  • "Perhaps an even lighter-weight, leaner version could be made available, to compete with alternative solutions, such as NodeJS."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily rely on Spring Boot as the core microservices framework, used for creating myriad solutions for health care and for the financial services industries. Environments change, depending on client commitments and budgets, but Spring Boot remains as the successful nexus for all development.

I have used it for both SQL and NoSQL solutions, including both caching and non-caching environments. With over 20 Spring modules to select for possible augmentation of the basic Spring Boot platform, there is nearly always a solution available.

In cases, where some additional, narrow functionality is still lacking, many existing solutions can be integrated into the Spring Boot Java framework, even if that functionality is not part of an official Spring Boot add-on module.

How has it helped my organization?

Spring Boot has sped time to market and has also improved testability, hence also improving the quality of deployed solutions. By eliminating the need for XML configuration, Spring Boot has also been instrumental in improving application performance, since this shift away from XML has provided an impetus to migrate from SOAP to RESTful services.

Also, Spring Boot has facilitated cloud migrations, since now the application can be deployed as a simple JAR file. Where Spring Boot has not helped has been with clients, who insist on moving away from Java (and .NET), towards lighter-weight solutions, such as NodeJS.

What is most valuable?

I have found the starter solutions valuable, as well as integration with other products.  For example, the MongoDB Repository feature is extremely helpful. Also, the integration with Spring Data JPA is valuable for accessing familiar JPA query functionality.

Spring Security facilitates the handling of standard security measures.

The Spring Boot annotations make it easy to handle routing for microservices and to access request and response objects.

Other annotations included with Spring Boot enable move away from XML configuration, and, of course, autowiring removes the necessity for creating objects in many scenarios.

What needs improvement?

It would also be extremely helpful if hand-holding templates were provided, to quickly guide new developers through the entire end-to-end process of developing a solution with Spring Boot. These aids could be in question or checkbox answer format, which would then trigger the appropriate guides. The guides should be geared to developer tasks. For example, after the neophyte Spring Boot developer answers some questions, the guide might say, "OK, then, you will want to put your MongoDB queries in the MongoDB Repository that you have created. You can use this @Query format..."

I have been using Spring Boot for three years.

My impression is that Spring Boot is highly stable. In fact, I have not seen any stability problems, at all, since I have been using it.

Spring Boot scales well. Care must be taken if any state is to be maintained since maximum scalability would be associated with a singleton instance of the application.

A deep and wide community provides substantial support for the entire Spring Boot ecosystem.

Previously, I used the traditional Spring and EJB. Performance, error-prone XML SOAP layer, XML-weak developer skillset, as well as increased ease of Cloud deployment were prime motivators for switching to Spring Boot.

The initial setup is straightforward due to the extensive starter project support online. Also, there is vast community support online for Spring Boot.

Developers implemented without any vendor team support.

Since Spring Boot, as well as the associated Eclipse IDE (with the Spring Tool Suite, STS, installed) are free, ROI is extremely high. The only investment is developer training, which is minimized, in part by having starter projects available online, and in part, by the simplicity of the design of the platform.

Spring Boot is free; even the Spring Tools Suite for Eclipse is free.

I advise others to use the cost savings to invest in Postman Pro, and to use that product to create and run suites of integration testing, whenever changes are made to the code base. I even advise moving unit testing to Postman Pro test scripts, which can be run by testers, in addition to developers. In this way, zero-defect applications can be deployed and supported.

The closest competitor was a totally different option: NodeJS/React.

What other advice do I have?

Spring Boot is a great way to implement microservices in the Cloud. It is an especially good choice if the requirements include background processing and calculations, which make the application a poor candidate for a lighter-weight solution, such as NodeJS.

EC
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Very smooth implementation; excellent features for monitoring and tracking network calls

• "Features that help with monitoring and tracking network calls between several micro services."
  • "Having to restart the application to reload properties."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to develop APIs used by single-page applications. It's almost exclusively for web applications and sometimes for communication between micro services, meaning two Spring Boot apps talking to each other. I develop API and the processes, using open API to define before developing them. With Spring Boot we generate the code and we serve the API's to this single-page application or other micro services. I use it almost every day. It's open source, so we don't have any partnership with them, we're a customer. I'm a software engineer.

What is most valuable?

Once you know how to use this solution, it's very easy, especially when building APIs. It has easily understandable convention and is an opinionated framework because of its conventional configurations. It helps build apps very fast and in particular Spring Data JPA  and Maven plugins are very useful in generating code like open API plugin. I like all the features that help with monitoring and tracking network calls between several micro services. Usually when I develop with other tele frameworks or technologies, there are things that don't work but this is not case with Spring Boots. Almost everything works smoothly and upgrading from one version to the next is very easy.

What needs improvement?

I think that security is a delicate issue in this product. It's not as easy as in other technologies so unless you already have something configured it can't be done with a junior developer. You need some experience to do that properly and to understand how Spring security works.

In addition, as many developers say, sometimes you can see too much magic without really understanding what's happening under the hood. This is the main benefit of Spring Boot, but also a disadvantage in the event that the convention doesn't work and needs to be customized.

An additional feature they could consider would be the ability to reload properties without having to restart the application. It's one of the things I miss most. There is a solution that requires cloud tools, but there's no way to do it with a simple configuration.

I've been using this solution for about seven years.

Once you understand the solution, it's very stable and unless you have an error in Java, it's very stable. I don't have many crashes or bugs related to the stability of the product.

Scalability depends on how and what features you use. If you have to scale a stateless API application, it's easy because you can scale it horizontally, ensuring that all the shared resources are available and that if the nodes need to talk to each other, they can. Spring Cloud helps and it's well supported and documented.

In terms of support, the documentation they provide is one of the best around and the community is very helpful. It's a very big community, so you always find the resources that you need. I've never had to contact technical support, I just open any issues on GitHub Bird to get a better idea of some concepts or problems I might have.

The difference between Spring Boot and other systems is the ecosystem and the  community which allows for testing. Other frameworks like Python, Django, have a much smaller community so it's more difficult to get information. I also use Liferay, which is a huge monolith but has a very small community. When you need help, you need to go to the forum and wait for someone to reply to your question. It can take weeks or even months to get a proper reply because the community is so small. It's an important and valuable feature of Spring.

There is a website called data.spring.iu where you can choose modules and download the zip file where you can start to develop, so it's easy. Deployment is simple because it's just one configuration file . If you are not an expert in servers or cloud providers, you might have some work to do but it's only one file and a few steps.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone wanting to implement Spring Boot, I would recommend watching the developer, Josh Long, on You Tube. He has a lot of explanation videos showing the basics of Spring Boot. It shows what you can do in few steps, and you can then go to start.spring.iu, download your first project and start working on it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Spring Boot. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VA
Team Lead at cei
It gives you confidence in one readily available platform

• "It gives you confidence in a readily available platform."
  • "communicationbetween different services from the third party layers or with the legacy applications needs to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version of Java Spring Boot. We can just start with the application within a day. When we start developing we can just start up the application development immediately and work for like four or five hours. We are using it for logistics companies and will be logging thousands of users. Companies of three thousand to four thousand users are what we are using it for.

What is most valuable?

It doesn't take much time like most other applications. So I just do my business with Spring Boot. It gives you confidence in a readily available platform. You just have to implement your project and you don't have to worry about third parties and integrating all the jobs.

What needs improvement?

I feel like communication has to be increased. For example, communicating between different services from the third party layers or with the legacy applications. But, it's getting mature right now, but there are some communication patterns that are getting with Spring Boot.

We have been using Java Spring Boot for more than 3 and a half years.

Java Spring Boot is very stable. It's already proven and the market is moving towards this technology.

One of the best advantages of Spring Boot is the scalability. You don't have to worry about it. You can deploy an application like in a service. If I want to have a separate application, or if you want to go with a business logic application, I would tend to go with the single application for the instance. So when I just want to increase the business logic application resources I can just scale up the service. I don't have to scale the whole application. That's monolithic. You can deploy an application individually or have it as a single application.

We do not use their technical support.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The cloud deployment gives you the DevOps technology, continuous integration, and continuous deployment tools. We have Docker, and we can put the image on the container. And we can do it again very easily. We can just bring the application down and bring up the application within 30 minutes.

We did the initial setup in-house and we also maintain it in-house. We have a team of 30 people using Spring Boot.

We have used other frameworks and the scalability is not nearly as good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend looking into logistics and buying a domain to use Spring Boot. I would rate Java Spring Boot at a nine on a scale of ten.

JI
System Analyst and Team Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Has a very lightweight framework, open-source, and easy to control

• "Spring Boot has a very lightweight framework, and you can develop projects within a short time. It's open-source and customizable. It's easy to control, has a very interesting deployment policy, and a very interesting testing policy. It's sophisticated."
  • "I would like to see more integration in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I have 12 developers using Spring Boot in my organization. There are currently two teams in my company: one for the web version, another for the desktop version.

What is most valuable?

Spring Boot has a very lightweight framework, and you can develop projects within a short time. It's open-source and customizable. It's easy to control, has a very interesting deployment policy, and a very interesting testing policy. It's sophisticated.

For data analysis and data mining, you can use a custom API and integrate your application. That's an advanced feature. For data managing and other things, you can get that custom from a third-party API. That is also a free license.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration in this solution.

I have been using Spring Boot for four years. This is a cloud-based solution, deployed on AWS.

The solution is stable. I developed a project in hospital management for a big institute in our country, Bangladesh, called Company Limited Hospitals. Four thousand people use this application, and it can very smoothly handle this. There have been no problems with it.

The solution is scalable.

It is a big community, so if you have any problems you can get feedback within a fairly short time. There's also a big international community.

Installation was very easy. There are a few different ways that you can deploy the solution: through a Tomcat server, an Apache HTTP server, or deploy with Docker. We can deploy any policy by using Docker. It's totally hassle-free in deployment policy. You can control your memory and load balance.

I have two people on my technical team for deployment. A system engineer controls all of the deployments.

It's open-source software, so it's free. It's a community license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution nine out of 10. Someone in any position can use this technology because there is very little code but gives you maximum output.

Spring Boot is incrementally increasing its users daily. New companies are using Spring Boot because it's very controlled and has microarchitecture. It's a very mobile solution, and you can use it with any product.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
DC
Consultant at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Stable and scalable with a fairly easy setup

• "The cloud version is very scalable."
  • "The security could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for building applications.

What is most valuable?

The cloud version is very scalable.

The product overall is quite stable.

What needs improvement?

The configuration moving down from a command key is difficult. If you are doing configurations and adding items, it can become a little challenging.

The security could be simplified.

I have been using Spring Boot for the last three or four years.

The scalability on-premises is limited as you are dealing with hardware. However, in the cloud, scalability is quite good. If a user needs to scale the solution they definitely need to consider deploying the cloud version.

We have about 400 users on the solution on the on-premises deployment model.

We have plans to increase the usage of the solution in the future.

The technical support is pretty good. We actually resolve a lot of issues via an independent contractor. They are quite knowledgable and responsive and we've been satisfied with the level of service that's been provided.

Before using Spring Boot, we actually used the original Spring solution.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward if you are using a simple setup. The environment can get complex though, and then the setup is a bit more difficult.

The deployment took a couple of months. It was quite a long time.

While we handled the cloud deployment ourselves, the on-premises deployment was handled by somebody else. I believe it wasn't too difficult for them to execute. They were quite knowledgeable in regards to the setup.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We use both on-premises and cloud deployment models at this time.

I would highly recommend the solution. It's worked quite well for us and we've been really happy with it overall.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. In terms of the overall accommodations made by the product, it could be a bit better. If it was, I would rate it higher.

DS
Associate Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, scalable, lightweight, and easy to install

• "The platform is easy for developers to download."
  • "It needs to be simplified, more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for various in-house applications and products.

What is most valuable?

Spring Boot is lightweight. The platform is easy for developers to download. It gives you a good framework and support for the different components they have.

What needs improvement?

This is not a tool for beginners. You need to know and understand it well.

It needs to be simplified, more user-friendly.

Spring Boot is only for lightweight components. You cannot have large applications on it.

If the binary size is large then you have to ensure that the services that are designed are very lightweight.  For example, if there are ten components, you have to divide them into ten and not into one. There needs to be a logical separation.

I would like to see the size of the code improved and the framework. We don't always realize how much we are loading into the microservice. There should be some limitations in place to indicate whether the code size should not exceed a certain amount and should not compile itself.

I have been using Spring Boot for approximately five years.

It's a stable product. We have not had any issues.

Spring Boot is scalable.

I have a team of 50, who are using this solution. The organization has approximately 120 users.

We plan to continue our usage with Spring Boot.

There is a very large community available online. We find enough material there.

The initial setup was straightforward.

There is a lot of documentation to get through, but there is help available online.

This is an open-source product.

What other advice do I have?

Spring Boot is a good product to get started with, especially when there are services to be written, in particular, when in the new microservices area.

They need to look for the unnecessary binary size that gets increased, otherwise, it's good.

I would recommend this solution

I would rate Spring Boot an eight out of ten.