Rafael Keller
IT Manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good technical support, easy to set up, and the documentation is helpful

• "The documentation and manuals are very good."
  • "I would like to have the option to use fewer processors for certain tasks, thus reducing the licensing fee."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to maintain my database client.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about this product is the environment.

The documentation and manuals are very good.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

I would like to have the option to use fewer processors for certain tasks, thus reducing the licensing fee. That would be great.

I have been working with SQL Server for more than 10 years.

I use SQL Server on a daily basis.

The scalability is not very good because when you add processors to the machine, the price of the license goes up. Scaling is very expensive. We have approximately 500 people who are using it.

Technical support is very good.

We used the Oracle Database prior to SQL Server.

The initial setup is simple and the deployment took one day.

We had assistance with our deployment and the experience was very good.

This is an expensive product, especially when you need two servers, or for enterprise solutions. We pay approximately $12,000 USD per month for both the server and the license.

At this time, all of my applications are running on SQL Server. However, in the future, if the application can be migrated to Oracle or another database then I may do that because SQL Server is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, although my advice is that if a company can afford it then they should use Oracle instead.

Other
MD.SIHAB TALUKDAR
System Engineer at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Good system architecture but they need to implement load-balancing capabilities

• "SQL Server is a stable product."
  • "The number of concurrent users is too limited and other databases are better than SQL in this regard."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently developing our own business application and we are using SQL Server as the database. We deploy it as a .NET application and the webserver is IIS. The SQL is a three-node clustered system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the system architecture.

What needs improvement?

There are limitations with load balancing.

We would like to see support for in-memory processing.

We have been using SQL Server for more than seven years.

SQL Server is a stable product.

We are the largest micro-credit finance company with more than thirty companies internally. We have 25,000 employees using the business application and SQL does not scale to our requirements.

I think that Oracle is better suited to smaller applications.

The supporting sites are good.

I have also worked with SAP HANA.

Setting up the database clustering is too complex.

Our current deployment has been ongoing for three years and it is not yet complete because our application is still being developed.

Our in-house team is handling the deployment.

We are currently searching for other products to replace this one with.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering SQL Server is that it works well for small applications. However, large business applications that use a content delivery network or geographical location, it is not suitable for.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about SQL Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MS
Head of Technical Support at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Integrates well, high performance, and provides many features

• "SQL Server provides good performance. Most of the SQL solutions can be integrated and this solution is no different, you are able to link other databases. For example, we have Oracle running a Postgres Server and it is linked. It follows the ISO standard when it comes to commands, it works well."
  • "They could improve by adding the SQL format."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is part of the ERP that we have for application. We use it for many purposes, such as POS in-store cash registers for enterprise companies.

What is most valuable?

SQL Server provides good performance. Most of the SQL solutions can be integrated and this solution is no different, you are able to link other databases. For example, we have Oracle running a Postgres Server and it is linked. It follows the ISO standard when it comes to commands, it works well.

What needs improvement?

They could improve by adding the SQL format.

I have been using SQL Server for approximately eight years.

The solution is stable, I have not had any issue using it.

The scalability is very good.

We have approximately 500 users using the POS.

I have previously used IBM Informix, PostgresSQL, and Oracle Databases.

The installation is straightforward and takes approximately 30 minutes. If you were to add more features the installation could take longer. For example, there are many features such as table partitioning allowing you to do queries faster, transferring data from one table to another, and performing quicker backups.

We did the implementation ourselves. We have a team that does the maintenance for Windows Servers, Linux desktops, and Linux Servers.

There is a license required for servers and for the POS we use the free version. The free version allows you to have tables and a total database size of approximately 10 GB, which is enough for our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

This is an excellent solution when it comes to databases. I would recommend it to others.

I rate SQL Server a ten out of ten.

SJ
Chief Technology Officer & Vice President, Delivery at a recruiting/HR firm with 1-10 employees
Very stable, easy to use, and easy to move data across versions, but needs better indexing, performance, scalability, and JSON support

• "It is easy to use and very stable."
  • "Its support for JSON should be improved. It does support JSON, but the support is not good enough currently. They should also improve the way indexes work. Its performance can also be improved because sometimes it becomes very slow for certain table designs. It cannot have more than a certain amount of data. As compared to other databases, its capability to handle large volumes of data is not very good."

What is our primary use case?

We are a product-based company, and we use it as part of our product. It is deployed in a public cloud and on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as part of our product, so it is helpful for us. It is easy to move data across versions, and it holds lots of our internal data for operations.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and very stable.

What needs improvement?

Its support for JSON should be improved. It does support JSON, but the support is not good enough currently.

They should also improve the way indexes work. Its performance can also be improved because sometimes it becomes very slow for certain table designs.

It cannot have more than a certain amount of data. As compared to other databases, its capability to handle large volumes of data is not very good.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It has been very stable. We had a very good experience with it.

Scaling is a challenge because you cannot scale horizontally. We've run into a couple of scenarios where we were not able to scale it easily.

Their support is quite satisfactory. They have not been perfect every time, but they have mostly been quite good. They're prompt, but they weren't able to resolve some of the issues.

It is easy to install.

Our IT team handles the installation.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

You should know its limitations. It cannot have more than a certain amount of data.

I would rate SQL Server a seven out of ten.

EN
Head of Data Analytics at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Affordable, easy to use and democratic in the enterprise; scalability could be improved

• "Very easy to use, and it's very democratic in the enterprise."
  • "Scalability of the database could be improved if it could handle increased volumes of data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for data mart and data warehousing. My company is a service company and we provide the professional services for deployment of BI solutions. We are customers of SQL Server and I'm head of data analytics.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to use, and it's very democratic in the enterprise. A lot of customers use this type of database, and that's why the deployments are very often in the medium enterprise.

What needs improvement?

I think the scalability of the database could be improved if it could handle increased volumes of data. I'd also like to see improvement in performance when you are loading big amounts of data. Integration with other solutions would be a nice additional feature.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable to a point but not for very large enterprise.

I don't have too much contact with the support at Microsoft, but as far as I know, it's good.

This is a very affordable solution, which is why it's used so widely in the market. I think one of the strongest points of SQL Server is the reasonable cost.

What other advice do I have?

The value of this solution depends on the business case that you're trying to accomplish and company size, and it depends on the volume of data you're looking for and the type of users that you're trying to serve. Basically, it depends on everything that goes with the functional requirements of the solution. If all that works then I would recommend this product.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
SL
Enterprise Architect at a educational organization with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and use, and the technical support is good

• "It is the latest technology and pretty powerful in terms of the high availability of the virtual server."
  • "We have had problems implementing a data warehouse using SQL Server."

What is our primary use case?

We use SQL Server for our application data.

As a government agency, all of our data is stored in our environment on-premises.

What is most valuable?

SQL Server is easier to use than Oracle, programming-wise.

It is the latest technology and pretty powerful in terms of the high availability of the virtual server.

What needs improvement?

We have had problems implementing a data warehouse using SQL Server. It may be because the data is too big, although it claims to be able to handle the amount of data that we have. Perhaps there are some technical issues because there is something weird going on. It cannot find the correct IP address.

I have been using SQL Server for ten years.

This product is not quite as stable as Oracle. I would rate the stability as moderate and would not rate it ten out of ten.

SQL Server claims to be good, scalability-wise, but we have had issues with it.

On the other hand, we have been using it for a lot of large applications and it has worked well in those cases. For the most part, it is good, and we have a lot of users.

Microsoft technical support is good.

I also have experience with Oracle and I find that SQL Server is easier to work with, but it is not as powerful.

Initially, it is easy to set up.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that it is relatively easy to set up.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AM
Assistant Vice President Global IT at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable and stable solution with a flawless setup

• "The initial setup is easy, flawless."
  • "I want to see one improvement and this involves the replication between the DC and DR."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version.

We can use the solution for the same application. On the database side we have Microsoft SQL and on the operating system side we have 2019.

What needs improvement?

I want to see one improvement and this involves the replication between the DC and DR. We have limited options at the moment and it does not lend sufficient support for the number of databases. This means we have a huge number of databases, topping approximately 2,000. For the moment, this particular replication is not supported by SQL.

The support number of databases needs to be increased, as well as the database number of databases that it supports. That support cannot be found when it comes to the replication between the DC and DR.

I have been using SQL Server for ten years.

The solution is sufficiently stable.

The solution is scalable.

When it comes to the speed, knowledge and customer-friendliness of the technical support, we feel these to be good.

We did not use other solutions prior to SQL Server.

The initial setup is easy, flawless.

It lasts a single day.

We handed the implementation on our own.

This involved a technical team of 15 people.

There is a need to pay for the license for SQL Server. We have an enterprise license, which we consider to be fine.

What other advice do I have?

We have 10,000 customers.

I would recommend the solution to others.

SQL Server is good and I rate it as a nine out of ten.

MP
CEO at SkyNet
Easy to manage and configure, reliable, easy to expand, and good documentation

• "What I like most is the management, as it is very easy compared with other products."
  • "Security is an issue."

What is our primary use case?

I am an IT professional, I write services for my clients. I provide support services for SQL, firewalls, and operating systems. IT infrastructure support in general is what I provide.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is the management, as it is very easy compared with other products.

What needs improvement?

Security is an issue. This is an area that needs to be improved.

There is security built-in, but most of the developers don't emphasize the security enough. When they are building the products or databases, they don't focus on the security of the database.

I have been providing services for this solution to my clients for five or six years.

We have had no issues with stability. It's one of the most stable products.

This solution is scalable. It is easy to expand.

In the five or six years that I have been handling SQL Servers, I have not had to contact technical support.

Their documentation is sufficient for troubleshooting and maintenance activity.

I am also using Sophos.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have our in-house team of more than 10 engineers for maintenance.

Pricing is a bit on the higher side. It could be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

To others who are interested in using this solution, I would say go for it. It's a stable database that is easy to configure and maintain. I would suggest this solution when compared with other databases.

I would rate SQL Server an eight out of ten.