MM
Head of IT, CTO at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Reliable, scalable, and user-friendly but the pricing could always be better

• "It's much more friendly in comparison with Oracle."
  • "I am fine with the pricing, but pricing is an area that can always be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution as a database. The main purpose is as an SQL Server.

How has it helped my organization?

Our backend and core systems are using Microsoft SQL Server. We have no complaints from anyone who is using it.

We have nothing that we can compare it with.

What is most valuable?

It's much more friendly in comparison with Oracle.

We are using the standard features. I don't see any areas that can be simplified with the standard functionalities. We don't use any special extended features.

From my point of view, using SQL Server 2017 and 2019 is very good. I haven't experienced any issues or been in a situation where I was struggling with problems for which I didn't have access to proper documentation or proper functions.

I have been using SQL Server for eight years.

After eight years in our company, we have not had any issues with SQL Server from a stability point of view.

We are a small company. We don't have any issues with this and we are fully virtualized. If we need to, we can extend the amount of CPUs as we want.

Our core system is being used by 50 users, but they are not accessing the SQL Server. We have approximately 10 users in our company who are using the SQL Server.

I have never used technical support.

I am using Avamar and Data Domain. I have been using Data Domain for four or five years. It was used as the data storage for the backup solution in our sister company.

I worked with Oracle in the previous company. Microsoft SQL Server is better.

We have also used Software Center, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, and almost everything that is Microsoft-based.

It was installed by an outsourcing company. It is another sister company.

It's cheaper than Oracle.

I am fine with the pricing, but pricing is an area that can always be improved.

We are Microsoft D-level partners. Pricing is not an issue for us, because of the outreach of our mother company.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Microsoft-based company.

I would rate SQL Server a seven out of ten.

JP
Analytics Manager - Data and Capability at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable as a cloud, good as a data warehouse, and offers good analytics

• "As a data warehouse and storage solution, it's quite good."
  • "The solution could use better governance on the management side, especially around data governance."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for many tasks. We use it as a data warehouse. However, we also use it for workflows and processing jobs.

What is most valuable?

The analytics are pretty good.

As a data warehouse and storage solution, it's quite good.

It's easy to put the data back onto the SQL Server or Oracle.

The solution is pretty fast. We find it to be responsive.

There are a lot of services, such as the SSISS, SIS, and SSI's that work quite well.

What needs improvement?

The product could do better at allowing for integrations.

I've been working with the solution for many years. It's likely ten to 15 years at this point. It's well over a decade, so I have some long-term experience with the product overall.

The scalability for the solution is good, at least where it concerns the cloud. Using the cloud makes everything very easy to scale. On-remises, if you run out of dick space, it's a bit difficult.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past. We manage the data center ourselves, however, if we run into issues we know we can contact them for assistance. I'd say we are quite satisfied with the level of support we get.

I can't recall how the initial setup was. It was a while ago. We've had the solution for a very long time.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

I don't know if I would recommend the solution per se. There are other options out there. Something that is a NoSQL database. Something like Snowflake, for example, might be a very good option for data warehousing. They are more adept at handling different types of data.

You shouldn't have to create tables or systems, you should just be able to query files.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. However, for the current scenarios we have, there are other options that may be more suitable. It's not the only product available on the market, and the competition is quite good.

Learn what your peers think about SQL Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PT
Database Administration Team Leader at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
A stable relational database management system with a valuable Always On feature

• "I believe Always On is the most valuable feature. It's also easy to use and not very tricky."
  • "Analysis services have a lot of room for improvement. Basically, manageability on the available tools. They should have improved them already. They are not very efficient. My main headache is with the analysis service, and it would be really good if Microsoft developed some additional tools that are more user-friendly to manage the analysis. This is both from the perspective of management, users' roles, and performance analysis. My main wish for SQL Server would be that management tools for analysis services grow and mature a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for both database services and analysis services.

What is most valuable?

I believe Always On is the most valuable feature. It's also easy to use and not very tricky.

What needs improvement?

Analysis services have a lot of room for improvement. Basically, manageability on the available tools. They should have improved them already. They are not very efficient. My main headache is with the analysis service, and it would be really good if Microsoft developed some additional tools that are more user-friendly to manage the analysis. This is both from the perspective of management, users' roles, and performance analysis. My main wish for SQL Server would be that management tools for analysis services grow and mature a bit.

I have been using SQL Server for about 15 years.

It's stable. The database service is better than the analysis service, but it's quite stable. It's as stable as the support it has. If it has a good infrastructure and good machines with disks, it's quite stable.

SQL Server is vertically scalable. We have about 3,000 people using this solution.

We haven't used their technical support a lot. I would say it depends on the scope of the help you need. On a scale from one to ten, I would give technical support a seven.

I don't know the exact prices because my focus is essentially technical and not on the bills. A few years ago, they changed the billing policy for the Enterprise Edition, and it became less attractive. But I believe they are still cheaper than Oracle. SQL Server isn't cheap, but it's not expensive either.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that it's important to have a good infrastructure, but my advice is for any database, not only SQL Server. It's important to have a good infrastructure and a good network if you're planning to use Always On and clusters. I believe the most important thing is the infrastructure where the SQL Server will be based.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SQL Server an eight.

OY
Specialist Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to install and helps us to keep customer data safe

• "I use the menu on the management view credit section to get information from the database."

What is our primary use case?

We use SQL Server for database integration as we sometimes use queries to take information from the database. For example, if I need a couple of information that is archived or not indexed, I will inform the SQL Server team to help.

What is most valuable?

I have been using SQL Server for eight to ten years, but I still check Google for things that aren't clear to me. For service delivery, we use on-premises solutions for our customers.

We don't use SQL Server as our primary product. Our focus is on safe customer SQL admin as we don't want problems with customer data in our system.

I think we consulted once for support in the active directory. We requested the support of Integration Engineers for installation, and their service was very good. However, in the last eight years, we have also used Microsoft support with satisfaction.

For the initial installation process, I did an installation for database testing using SQL Server Express. Sometimes, the trials for the samplers are not allowing the SQL Server Express. So, when I was doing the installation, I just selected database management because it isn't the default and it has helped me not to fill out the same details for future use.

I cannot answer that question concerning pricing and licensing because I'm just a technical staff member. However, we are just a customer of Microsoft and some of our clients say SQL Server is very high in price.

What other advice do I have?

SQL Server is a very good product and we use Microsoft SQL Server software that runs on Windows as most of our clients make use of the Windows operating system. But I don't have a hundred percent trust in Microsoft products. Why am I saying that? This is not a security issue. I am just... We are hitting this kind of issue because, as you know, Windows servers sometimes get corrupted or we need to restart them.

RV
    2de Solution Engineer - storage & compute at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Scalable and stable with good overall performance

• "The scalability of the product is great."
    • "The licensing is pretty expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution mainly for databases on all types of applications.

How has it helped my organization?

SQL is the all around leading Database server

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The scalability of the product is great.

What needs improvement?

We'd like the deployment process to be better in the future.

The licensing is pretty expensive.

I've been using the solution for 20 years at this point. It's been two decades. We've used it for a while now.

The solution is stable and the performance is great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product scales well. If you need to expand it, you can do so.

We have 900 to 1,000 people using it currently.

I'm more on the architecture side and therefore do not directly deal with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We also use Oracle. We've used it for over a decade already.

The deployment could be easier.

While the deployment only takes about 15 minutes, you have to follow up with a lot of configuration.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We did not enlist the assistance of any integrators or consultants. It was all handled in-house.

We're paying too much for licensing at this time. They need to work on the pricing. They could be cheaper, however, it's also difficult to run the licenses in the right way.

We pay licensing fees on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with SQL.

While everything is currently on-premises, we're making moves to shift to the cloud.

We're using the 2019 and 2016 versions of the product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. In general, we've been quite happy with its capabilities.

AY
    IT Service Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to set up, very stable, and quite scalable

• "The solution has proven to be very stable."
    • "The solution could offer more integration with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our banking database.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a very good device.

The solution has proven to be very stable.

The scalability potential is very high.

The initial setup is very straightforward and the deployment happens very quickly.

What needs improvement?

The solution could offer more integration with other platforms.

I've been using the solution for about ten years or so. It's been about a decade. It's been a while.

The product is very stable, from my experience. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. I've used it for ten years with very few issues. The performance and reliability are very good.

The solution can scale quite well. If your company needs to expand it, it can do so pretty easily. It's not hard.

We currently have 5,000 users on the solution.

We do plan to increase usage in the future.

We've dealt with Microsoft technical support in the past and we were very satisfied with the level of service provided to us. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

The initial setup is straightforward. I wouldn't describe it as difficult or complex. It's actually very simple. A company shouldn't have too much trouble with the implementation.

The deployment was fast and barely took two days.

We have five people on staff who can handle the deployment and maintenance for us. They are administrators and engineers.

We had a consultant that assisted us with the implementation. They were very helpful and made the implementation very simple.

We pay a yearly license to Microsoft. I can't speak of the exact cost, however.

What other advice do I have?

We're likely using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten. We have been very satisfied with its capabilities over the last decade.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

IC
    ICT Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Stable, easy to use, and simple to deploy

• "The product can scale if a company needs it to."
    • "The solution could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We have used it in a variety of ways, including for e-commerce deployments.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

The deployments are very easy.

Technical support is very helpful.

The product can scale if a company needs it to.

The stability is quite reliable.

What needs improvement?

The product can cost a bit, however, it depends on how you use it.

The solution could be more secure.

I've used the solution over a number of years. I may have started originally around 2000. It's likely been two decades or so.

The product is quite stable. there are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

You can scale this solution if you need to. It's not an issue.

Everyone in our company is using the product. We have about 80 users on it currently.

Technical support has been helpful and responsive. We have no complaints. We are satisfied with the level of service provided to our company.

The solution is very easy to deploy. It's not a problem.

The amount of time it takes to deploy depends on what you want the solution to do for your company.

We have an installer available to us that can guide us through the process and help us choose the right options.

The solution can get expensive. You do need to pay a licensing fee in order to use it. I can't speak to the exact costs. There are different subscription types and the subscription a company needs depends on the deployment they have in mind.

What other advice do I have?

I've used the solution on a couple of deployments and also deploy patches.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations and companies.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    NS
    Network Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    An easy initial setup with good pricing and good stability

• "The pricing of the product is very good."
    • "The solution could offer better integration with other solutions - specifically Microsoft."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a WAP server and we have it on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

It's helped us connect to our company's machines.

What is most valuable?

The pricing of the product is very good.

We've found the stability to be very reliable.

The initial setup isn't too complicated. It's pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the solution could be improved in future releases. We hope to improve the way we use it ourselves in our next project.

I've been using the solution for about five years at this point. It'd been a while.

Thus far, the solution has been quite stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. there aren't bugs or glitches. It works well for us overall and we find it to be reliable.

I'm not sure about the capability of the solution's scalability. We've never really tested its capabilities, and it's therefore hard to gauge.

We have a department that handles support. I find them knowledgeable. They respond in a reasonable amount of time.

The initial setup wasn't complex. It was pretty straightforward. We didn't have any issues with the implementation process at all.

The licensing is reasonable. It's not too expensive. We are charged on a yearly basis, however, I don't know the exact amount we are charged. I'm not a part of the billing and payments department.

What other advice do I have?

I believe we are using the 2019 version of the solution.

In general, I would recommend the solution to other organizations. We've mostly been pretty happy with its performance.

We're not Microsoft partners. We are just customers.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. If it had better integration capabilities with Microsoft, I might rate it higher.