SQL Server Overview

SQL Server is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Relational Databases. It is most often compared to SAP HANA: SQL Server vs SAP HANA

What is SQL Server?

SQL Server is the Microsoft-driven relational database management system. This system is used to store data as well as retrieve it when necessary; these functions can be supported by individual users or by multiple users within a larger network. The Microsoft SQL Server has warehousing options, quality and integration services, management tools that are simple to implement, as well as robust tools for development.

Looking at the more technical end of things, Microsoft SQL Server uses query languages such as T-SQL and ANSI SQL. Disaster recovery is one of the product's most prominent features, in addition to in-memory performance, scalability, and corporate business intelligence capabilities.

SQL Server is also known as Microsoft SQL Server, MSSQL, MS SQL.

SQL Server Buyer's Guide

Download the SQL Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

SQL Server Customers

Microsoft SQL Server is used by businesses in every industry, including Great Western Bank, Aviva, the Volvo Car Corporation, BMW, Samsung, Principality Building Society, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario.

SQL Server Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Aju Mathai
Database Architect at Huron Consulting
Apr 4, 2019
It is one of the most stable relational databases out there

What is our primary use case?

Our correlation and relational databases are on Microsoft SQL Server. The company uses two platforms: MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server. Some applications are on MySQL, and some applications are SQL Server. I have pretty much worked all my life in Microsoft SQL Server.

• "It is one of the most stable relational databases out there."
  • "I would like to see native plugins built for other platforms versus having to buy third-party plugins to tap into S3 buckets and AWS Cloud. Right now, it does not have those built-in plugins."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend SQL Server. It's not cheaper any more, like it used to be, but if you can afford it, then it's the best. When I select a vendor, from a tool perspective, I make sure that they have full support available, have been in the market for awhile, and the solution/application is stable. From an open source perspective, like MySQL, Aurora, and MongoDB, they have done a great job in making a robust database container.
reviewer1030020
Programmer Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 11, 2019
Creating and implementing stored procedures is a valuable features

What is our primary use case?

Very pleasing and satisfying experience. * Used to create queries * Implemented store procedures * DBA can also use this effectively.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. Thumbs up.
Learn what your peers think about SQL Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Lei Liu
DBA,data architectuire at LGCNS CHINA
Feb 21, 2019
License price is lower than Oracle's

What is our primary use case?

The customer's MES system use it. The database system desgin as always on architecture. Like Data guard in Oracle , always on contain double data and sync data by using transactions store in transaction log

What other advice do I have?

subpartition is necessary
MR
Menoj-Roekalea
Cloud DBA at UNIT4
Feb 14, 2019
Its stability delivers performance and usability and it has good reporting services

What is our primary use case?

Effectiveness in a production environment New features test

How has it helped my organization?

Besides that, SQL Server has become very expensive like Oracle. Its stability delivers performance and usability.

What is most valuable?

SSMS SSIS Reporting services FCI clustering AlwaysOn Basic availability groups.

What needs improvement?

I would like a mature real-monitoring built in into SSMS, even a trace file analyzer.

Less than one year.
DD
Daniel Du Toit
Systems Analyst Developer with 1-10 employees
Jan 20, 2019
A fast and efficient way to track reporting

• "I have experience with this product for many years. I never have problems with it. It can handle a PC, and it can also handle huge data. It is fast and efficient."
  • "It would be nice if there was a feature to search for a specific value across multiple tables. This would save a lot of time for its users."

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely important for someone looking at a new vendor to consider the support of the solution. In addition, the customer should really do their research and understand what their needs are, and make sure the new solution will solve those needs.
Royden Akerley
Enterprise Programmes Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 25, 2018
Traditional DB toolkit is closely integrated into Microsoft Office, but it does not scale up to a truly global environment

What is our primary use case?

This is a departmental database engine which supports primarily localized solutions, data capture, and retrieval. However, with the exception of our aviation group, it is used for localized data lake or reporting solutions support.
PF
Paul Fijma
Engineer / MS SQL DBA at Solvinity
User
Aug 20, 2018
This solution has proven stability and operational power

What is our primary use case?

The database is primarily used as back-end storage.

How has it helped my organization?

As an engineer working for multiple organisations, MS SQL has proven stability and operational power.

What is most valuable?

The additional tools, like SSIS and reporting services, make this solution useful.

What needs improvement?

Improvements to the indexing, columnstore indexing, and high availability groups are good improvements for future versions.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

MS SQL is constantly improving their products. New options, such as managing with PowerShell, are good improvements.
Rahul Kumar Singh
Software Developer at OATI
Aug 12, 2018
I use it to fine tune my procedures and functions

What is our primary use case?

I use SQL Server to optimize SQL queries and find the estimated cost of my queries. I also use it to fine tune my procedures and functions.

• "Tuning Advisor suggests where to add indexes and from where to remove them. It works like an adviser."
  • "SQL Server Profiler makes finding and debugging easy."
  • "I use it to fine tune my procedures and functions."
  • "Third-party services from Redgate should be built-in to it, like SQL Search."
  • "Debugging from the debugger tool functionality should be enhanced."
it_user540858
IT Technician / Support Supervisor at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 13, 2018

• "Enables us to convert to bigger DBs and more easily move or upgrade between branches."
  • "From a DB administrator perspective, I would like to see more space requirements and space capacity history, so that we are able to see which DBs are growing, and by how much per day or week."

What other advice do I have?

Naming conventions are very very important. Make sure that your principle and mirror servers have the same disk space from the outset.
it_user79482
Senior Developer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Mar 4, 2018
Gives me the ability to mold a process flow or modularly add in new structures

• "Without any doubt the Integration Services and Analysis Services are the most widely used. These are the basis for data quality, data gathering, ETL process, as well as collation for the data warehouse, Cube-generation, and ad-hoc processes. The ease in which you may mold a process flow or even modularly add in new structures is something which is much needed in my job."
  • "An area for improvement would be the SQL Server process monitoring, which is quite basic and could sustain more information."
  • "The only item which I can list is application failure during Integration Services debugging, when restarting a process flow. In a number of instances the solutions fails. I have not given this much thought and simply stop and start the debugging service rather than restarting."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it eight out of 10. It is quite a good product and has improved dramatically. Like all products, it has bugs here and there and some areas still need improvement. I have been using the solution for the past two and half years, however, I have worked with older versions of SQL Server (2012, 2008, 2005). The solution is quite powerful and versatile and I have not yet used all the areas/modules of the solution. It is not always easy to utilise all the available modules for the solution, especially if your work is focused solely on a particular area. Nonetheless, I try to use different…
it_user272976
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Feb 28, 2018
Capable, efficient, OLAP server for Analysis Services; has Big-Data performance issues

What is our primary use case?

Initially as a post-transactional database, but now it's mainly a transactional database and for Analysis Services.

• "It's a very capable, efficient, price-performant OLAP server."
  • "The web interface and the command line interface could be better so we could manage and build some things around an API. If we could build our own solution, our own interface, and then manage the solution through that open API, that would be better."
  • "For a big amount of data, when we are speaking about IoT Segments, and Big Data projects, there are performance issues."

What other advice do I have?

It's good if you need OLAP services. I give it a seven out of 10 overall, because of the things mentioned: First is that during the version upgrades, sometimes things are complicated. The second thing is the support is not so... without an open-source community it would not be so good. Third is the pricing, because it's changing, sometimes it's confusing.
it_user823959
User at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Feb 27, 2018

What is our primary use case?

Implementing solutions for controllers and project managers on their financial data for 10 years, and now using the Power BI Microsoft solution.

• "SSAS is the most interesting feature to organize the data and let the users play with it."
  • "The reporting services of the solution (SSRS and now Power BI) are the less valuable items of the SQL Server suite."
Недашковский Евгений
Senior SQL DBA at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Feb 25, 2018
Quite reliable in cluster configurations and has helped me to reduce downtime and improve SLAs

What is our primary use case?

Usually I install an SQL Server as part of something bigger from Microsoft (NAV, CRM, SharePoint, SCCM, SCOM, BizTalk, etc.) or some custom built solution that was designed around this DMBS. I also teach in a university. My students admit that SQL Server is quite easy to install and work with if you are a total beginner (compared with others).

• "If backups and alerts are configured properly, I can also rely on my restoration plan."
  • "It is quite reliable in cluster configurations and has helped me to reduce downtime and improve SLAs."
  • "Comparing with other database management systems that I tried in other companies, SQL Server is quite easy to install, configure, and maintain."
  • "I would appreciate a dark theme for SQL Server Management Studio and ability to add databases with TDE enabled into availability groups."

What other advice do I have?

Though I do like the SQL Server, I must say it is very hard to find a good DBA nowadays and having a DBMS without a DBA is like having a car without a driver and skills to drive it yourself. Before choosing or switching to this DMBS, check what kind of workforce is available in your area. You may consider Azure SQL Database as a simple alternative, but I would advise it only for small workloads though.
it_user796899
Sr. Database and Application Administrator with 10,001+ employees
Feb 5, 2018

• "You could have an offsite and an onsite, and if the onsite goes down, the offsite picks it up. I like that flexibility to provide continuing operations."
  • "It is a simple query language. It is consistent across all versions. If you start with an older version, move to the newer version. The same code will still work."
  • "It can go easily on a virtual machine and be accommodated by a virtual machine easily. That is a plus, as not all databases can handle that."
  • "It will do clustering, so you can have two database servers looking at the same data simultaneously."
  • "It pesters you to update the Client every month when there is nothing new that you really need to add, but it is constantly pestering you. I do not care for it."
DenisMunger
Chief of Engineering at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Feb 4, 2018
Ease of use, stability make it the right choice for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it to capture long distance calls for billing as a quoting database to redirect phone calls based on customer caller line id.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

What needs improvement?

Only one CPU core can be used Can’t move a database between servers easily Can’t use triggers The free version is cumbersome to use and maintain. But $5000 for a licence is more expense than the benefit I would get from a licensed version.

No stability issues.

We are capturing 1 million calls per month. The free version can’t scale this much data.

How are customer service and

it_user117381
Lead Software Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jan 28, 2018
We've measured notable performance improvements with this solution

• "There was an online system in which we had about 2500 requests to the DB per second. Every request had a completion window of one second to process and retrieve data. After switching to SQL Server, and AlwaysOn, and Snapshot, and tinkering, and configuring and tinkering, the handling capacity we measured increased to about 5000 requests per second, while the time decreased to 0.5 seconds per request."
  • "As a software developer, it can be hard to do something in Oracle that is SQL Server specific, and vice-versa, sometimes."
  • "One stability issue I encountered was the deadlocking between calls to the same resources (tables, etc.). That was solved by row versioning."

What other advice do I have?

I’ve been working on Microsoft SQL Server since 2005, and currently I’m using SQL Server 2014 in my development environment and SQL Server 2012 in the production environment.
Gh0ce
Systems Analyst/DBA at Vecima Networks
Dec 5, 2017
A relational database system that is critical for storing reporting data

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of SQL Server is to store and retrieve data. If you go into the extra features that come with your license, you can also do reporting, analytics and ETL.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't have a DBA on site, hiring a consultant is recommended to help get things setup and configured. This will reduce headaches down the line.
it_user158343
Software Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Aug 15, 2017
Enabled us to use an Agile approach to the design and implementation of DW solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Consider the ROI (most training investment). If training is not in-house, only hire training from an official Microsoft Training Center in your region. Look for the best Training Center. Once you are done with the training, you can start taking customers for DW projects.
it_user718458
Corporate Data and BI Lead - Database Administrator at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 14, 2017
Provides An Easy Way To Monitor And Troubleshoot Problems

What is most valuable?

Most of SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions. They are easy to configure and maintain.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides the best performance and an easy way to monitor and troubleshoot problems.

What needs improvement?

Indexing, execution plans, and the SQL Server Management Studio performance.

Over seven years.

Medium.

Complex design, easy configuration.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

it_user715902
CEO and Founder at a tech services company
Aug 9, 2017
For Mission Critical Systems, Data Warehouses, And Big Data Solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Download the Developer Edition for free, install it on your personal computer (it’s very easy), and start exploring. If you need help with something, just search for it on the internet, and you’ll find a wealth of resources about everything you need.
it_user125703
Management Trainee for Training at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jul 31, 2017
It solved really complex situations

What other advice do I have?

Best practices are the always a better choice for implementing the solution, hire a good expert and consult a better person with huge experience in architecting database systems for decades.
it_user585195
DBA de Desenvolvimento at a tech services company
Jul 23, 2017
Review about SQL ServerGreat product. Like any software, a good and prepared staff is the key to success

What is most valuable?

The way the product shows the execution plan and the facility to the developer and tests the SQL code.

How has it helped my organization?

The product is used in the core systems. It has been used since the beginning.

What needs improvement?

Better execution plans and better debugging. Improved dependency of use of temporary tables to reach good performance in complex SQL.

I've used this solution for six years.

Sometimes the cross-database performance isn't the best.

An eight out of 10.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Paul Nockolds
Data Analyst at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 23, 2017
We're able to easily upscale previous systems to provide an efficient interface for our internal clients to do their jobs effectively

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework first and be prepared for a tough learning curve.
it_user422262
CEO/CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 20, 2017
A useful feature is the ability to write and execute SQL on the fly

What other advice do I have?

Look very closely at the built-in features. For those features that you may need, estimate what it would take to replicate that same functionality on the "free" products. The comparison is not on the licensing cost. It's on the features and the license cost versus the labor cost.
Leonardo de Andrade
Brazil IT Coordinator at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 18, 2017
You can share the results of an integration without having to share the file. The performance could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest that you are first familiar with the bundle functions and plan some of the functions before starting the project. Find more information about the routines and how easy or hard it might be to start the development when you are thinking about cascade and constraints.
Scott Albritton
Applications Business Intelligence Analyst at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
Jul 16, 2017
Just like a Windows PC needs basic defragmentation maintenance to run effectively, SQL Server needs its own regular maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Start in the cloud if feasibly possible and if it makes sense for your business. I have mostly worked with organizations that still don’t trust the cloud for security and legal reasons, but Amazon, Microsoft, and Google are releasing promising products in the cloud that are leaps and bounds ahead of processing power for local servers assuming your organization is willing to pay what it takes. I have priced cloud services enough to know they’re expensive, but they could replace a lot of unknowns for growing businesses or those starting from scratch; mainly network security, redundancy and…
it_user408555
Technical lead/Senior embedded software engineer at a wireless company with 51-200 employees
Jul 16, 2017
I've used SQL Server​ for most of the solutions I worked for, from web crawlers to logistic platforms and medical devices

What other advice do I have?

Improve the built-in database replication technologies.
it_user252576
Business Intelligence and Decision Support Team Leader at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
We’ve been using SQL Server for 17 years

What other advice do I have?

Database modeling and indexing best practices are so important. Do not defer to implement these practices. Before installation, planning different file groups for temp, data, and index files will help to gain performance and maintenance advantages.
it_user280197
BI Solution Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 9, 2017
The database engine is one of the most valuable components of the platform.

What other advice do I have?

Install a trial version as soon as you can and give it a try.
it_user290733
IT Consultant & IT Project Manager Assistant with 10,001+ employees
Jul 6, 2017
SSIS, SSRS, and DB help in everything.

What other advice do I have?

If you want stability, then choose the best.
it_user493200
Pre-Sales/System Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Jun 9, 2017
Provides many ways to help us organize data and process information.

What is most valuable?

The Microsoft SQL Server is a great and powerful data storage capable to provide many functionalities starts on free version until the power with BI resource and mirroring.

How has it helped my organization?

MS SQL is a recognized data tool, it provides many ways to help us organize data and process information.

What needs improvement?

MS SQL need to improve the big data functions and also own market share.

since 1999

few problems

i didn't use it like admin, i don't know.

great product …
Albeez
IT Director at DAAR
Jun 5, 2017
The AlwaysOn feature ensures database availability, even when one of the servers is down.

What other advice do I have?

The latest 2016 version has many more new features and functionalities, if you have the Enterprise Level Agreement and subscription model, you can upgrade to the latest version. The Always ON (High Availability) functionality is support only with the MS SQL enterprise edition. It will be beneficial to many, if this feature is available in Standard Edition.
Aimee White
Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
ExpertTop 5
Jun 1, 2017
High availability/failover clustering makes DR straightforward.
Where to start? Great range of admin tools (far outnumbers MYSQL) - I like the database tuning tools  Nice BI tools and integration ability.  Evolves quickly due to the monster support from MS Integrates with the rest of MS products (this is a plus and a minus, of course) Scalable - a few MBs up to petabytes.  High availability/failover clustering makes DR straightforward. Own reporting services - if you can't report on it, it's hard to manage.  Problems include - is it an MS product? Then licensing can be a pain if they do an audit.  Also, with AWS's offerings becoming so easy to set up, scale, and work at great speed, MS SQL probably needs to up its game massively if they are ever going to keep up, let alone fully compete with Amazon's database suite.
it_user158343
Software Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Mar 15, 2017
Provides data quality services tools and In-Memory OLTP tables.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is focused on companies that develop and offer data warehouse solutions for customers that use SQL Server. Consider the ROI, which is mostly training investment (for the Developer Edition). If training is not done in-house, only hire training from an official Microsoft training center in your region. Look for the best training center. Once you are done with the training, you can start taking customers for data warehouse projects.
Prakash Somasundaran
Project Advisor at A private sector Company
Jan 2, 2017
The MSBI features SSAS, SSIS as well as SSRS together, has enabled us to build a data warehouse for our Enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

1. Find out the right licensing mode you require (Comes with different options CAL/Server and # of CPUs and Virtualisation). 2. Use the Enterprise lincencing or Standard edition or Web according to your need. 3.Make use of SQL Server Clustering or LOg Shipping high availability solution, the best you can find.
it_user290769
Enterprise Architect with 51-200 employees
Nov 21, 2016
We're able to create an end-to-end automated BI platform, but we'd prefer hosting multidimensional OLAP instances with Tabular rather than the either/or installation.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have an experienced database administrator to implement the infrastructure of the solution.
it_user359604
Web Content Editor at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 13, 2016
The most valuable feature for us is SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access.

What is most valuable?

SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (AccessToSQL).

How has it helped my organization?

We migrated loads of access database into large scale SQL server.

What needs improvement?

Access validation rules and expressions need improvement while converting into SQL Server.

I've been using it for 10 years, and was using previously older versions and now I'm on the latest one.

We just needed to upgrade Windows.

It was average.

It was average.

I previously used Oracle 11G, I switched…
it_user118071
Engineer at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 29, 2015
The High Availability feature provides us with failover if a node becomes unavailable, but it lacks realtime data refresh in SSRS.

Valuable Features:

It's a solution that's always on.

Improvements to My Organization:

It has High Availability, therefore provides failover if a node becomes unavailable.

Room for Improvement:

Few in SSIS Realtime data refresh in SSRS More datasources in Power BI
it_user308226
SAP NetWeaver Implementer at a tech services company
Sep 29, 2015
With it, we've been able to tune individual queries by optimizing the database server, but the speed is inconsistent.

Valuable Features

It allows for performance tuning to maximize performance. With the enhancements to the tuning wizard indexes are added to the needs of the system structure and use. I find this helps prevent locking of the system.

Improvements to My Organization

It cuts down on the variable speed of queries, and individual queries can be tuned by optimizing the database server.

Room for Improvement

The speed is inconsistent.

Customer Service: N/A Technical Support: N/A
it_user285990
Service Operations Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Aug 5, 2015
Its use of hyper-threading causes stability issues, but the higher limits for storage and table management are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at the environment you plan to implement including the application and traffic model. Consider using Azure DB depending on your implementation requirements.
it_user284160
Freelance at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 2, 2015
Running long and complicated queries could make the software crash, but it allowed to me make all kinds of important reports easily.

What is most valuable?

The ability to browse table structures and re-design it easily.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the efficiency in giving service to clients, and allowed to me make all kinds of important reports easily.

What needs improvement?

The compiler should be much more precise and give you more information about the error.

I've used it for two and a half years.

No issues encountered.

Running long and complicated queries could make the software crash. You should run them part by part instead (i.e. with stored procedures).

No issues…
it_user231318
Associate Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
Apr 28, 2015
​It has enhanced our real time decision making capabilities but SSRS could include some ad hoc reporting.
it_user165207
Infrastructure Analyst / Engineer (24x7) at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 27, 2014
The user interface can be improved but its always been reliable and consistent, providing tremendous functionality.
it_user153675
SQL DBA at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Oct 2, 2014
The SSIS or SQL Server Integration Services is a vital component that is associated to the Server.
SQL Server and SQL Server Integration Services – Informative Article SQL Server and SQL Server Integration Services: Discussed and Explained The concept of Relational Database Management System when brought forward by Microsoft was known as SQL Server. Architecture of SQL is a division where all the components combine and work, both; independently and together. This is done in order to process the services offered, in a defined way. This allows SQL Server to work smoothly. The external SQL Server interface is developed by the Protocol Layer. All the operations conducted on the server are transmitted through a defined format known as the Tabular Data Stream (TDS). Basically, this is an Application Layer Protocol that helps to transfer data between the client and server (database). Some…
it_user143286
Senior IT Consultant/Program Mgmt at Consultant
Jul 31, 2014
it_user135978
Developer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 27, 2014
SQL server is probably one of the best relational database servers.

What other advice do I have?

With right use it could be part of almost any size and type of company.
it_user4524
Founder & Principal Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Top Reviewer
May 1, 2014
The best-ever SQL Server release - again
Microsoft’s flagship database engine, SQL Server, keeps getting better with every release. The SQL Server 2014 platform is the best-ever SQL Server release, and is packed full of features for organizations of all sizes. Every organization has different requirements for data. Vendors might specify a particular product or platform for their software. In-house development staff might be geared towards one platform over others. Management might have their preferences. SQL Server might not be right for all shops out there, but I can state that it provides the same scalability, flexibility, and raw power of other DBMS platforms on the market, and does it with the easiest to manage suite of features that I encounter. I enjoy this product and the technical community that has grown up around this…
it_user4524
Top Reviewer
May 1, 2014
Best DBMS platform for all of your business needs

What other advice do I have?

I am so fond of this product that I have dedicated this portion of my career to focusing on mastering this platform as a consultant. I feel that this product is the best fit on the market for your database needs. The product is stellar, the amount of free knowledge on the Internet for this product is without parallel, and the community around SQL Server is so strong that I consider it a family.
it_user103896
Sales Engineer at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
Apr 14, 2014
I have found SQL Server to be fast, secure and low cost

How has it helped my organization?

Security, lower cost, ease of maintenance and administration, performance. When all of these are considered, our business is able to run faster, more securely, with SQL as the back-end.

What needs improvement?

The Management Studio front end still needs work as does Indexing.

14 years

No, SQL installs well.

No, SQL was stable for our applications.

No, scaling was easy with SQL. We never had an issue.

Customer Service: Do not expect Microsoft to be in a hurry to get to you, but I have…
it_user7944
Network Engineer & Web Developer at OneTexh
Jul 21, 2013
Consequently, Microsoft SQL server is best choice.
SQL Server Microsoft Microsoft itself is the name of trustworthiness, solid promise, reliability, steadfastness, loyalty and commitment. Among its ranges of products which are mostly open source and freely available for consumers, Microsoft SQL server is useful for the “Great Data Storage” tool. The latest version of MS SQL server is 2012 which incorporates many enhanced features but previous versions like 2003 and 2008 also meet the needs to store data and analytics of data during structuring query. Microsoft SQL server 2012 emerged in three different versions Standard, Enterprise and Business edition. The basic standard version can be used by smaller companies' databases and include many vivacious features to manage the data integration. Some features are not available but still…
it_user6414
CEO at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
May 10, 2013
SQL Server offers tight integration at low pricing

What other advice do I have?

• Database developers who want to have a clear logical and physical understanding of database systems will no doubt benefit much from using SQL Server. I personally marvel at the extensible support provided by the management studio especially on disk and file management as I enjoy using SQL Server 2008. SQL Server is friendly to both beginners and experts and its installation process can be customized to suite different features.
it_user5520
Network Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Apr 1, 2013
Will be my first choice for a DBMS again in the future.

What other advice do I have?

A great DBMS for organizations of all sizes. Will be my first choice for a DBMS again in the future. The installation process was simple. You will pay for this SQL Server, but don't be afraid to try the free programs also.
it_user3876
Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 2, 2013
A tool of choice for many corporate environments

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft SQL Server is the tool of choice for many corporate environments because it is a commercial database server. Its core role in the commercial world is only to store data which is slightly different than other databases like MS Access. In addition to data storage capability, MS Access allows developing a full user interface for data entry and reports generation. Whereas SQL Server simply stores data. Significant numbers of companies are moving to SQL Server. When it comes to costs SQL will very often make a very good business case.