StorageCraft ShadowProtect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

StorageCraft ShadowProtect is #13 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software. IT Central Station users give StorageCraft ShadowProtect an average rating of 10 out of 10. StorageCraft ShadowProtect is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication:StorageCraft ShadowProtect vs Veeam Backup & Replication. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.
What is StorageCraft ShadowProtect?

Fast, flexible recovery starts with a solid backup. StorageCraft ShadowProtect SPX is the cornerstone of the StorageCraft Recovery Solution, providing comprehensive backup protection, reliable recovery, and system migration in a single, cross-platform solution that supports Windows and Linux systems on virtual and physical machines.

StorageCraft ShadowProtect was previously known as ShadowProtect.

Download the Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

StorageCraft ShadowProtect Customers
Lion
StorageCraft ShadowProtect Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about StorageCraft ShadowProtect pricing:
  • "Pricing is most likely comparable."
  • "It is approximately $400 to purchase a virtual service outright."

StorageCraft ShadowProtect Reviews

KB
Founder/CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Transitions easily from physical to virtual servers, reliable, with comparable pricing

• "The ability to switch between different hardware platforms and utilization tools are some of this solution's most valuable features."
  • "A lot of their new technologies are not very good."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use StorageCraft ShadowProtect for small and medium-sized businesses, backup servers, desktops, and public servers.

What is most valuable?

The ability to switch between different hardware platforms and utilization tools are some of this solution's most valuable features.

Physical and virtual servers are treated the same, and an image can be copied from one machine to another, whether physical to virtual, virtual to virtual, virtual to physical, or physical to physical. As a result, you can transition from HP to Dell, or from VMware to Hyper-V to physical.

What needs improvement?

A lot of their new technologies are not very good.

The older products were fantastic. They invested in ShadowXafe, OneBox, and other companies, where they purchased hardware and attempted to reinvent product offerings that I do not use because they were difficult.

I have been working with StorageCraft ShadowProtect for ten years.

StorageCraft ShadowProtect has good stability, but ShadowXafe does not.

ShadowProtect does not scale as well as ShadowXafe.

ShadowXafe is an entire space where you can backup all of your virtual machines at once.

It's easier in large environments.

The technical support was horrible. That's why we switched. We've been drifting away from StorageCraft for a long time now, largely because of their support.

They are the worst support organization in existence.

They are assessed using metrics such as closing calls. They are difficult to connect with and even more difficult to reconnect with when you do. They are only interested in resolving cases as quickly as possible. They provide incorrect information.

There are only a few people that know certain products, and getting in touch with them is almost impossible. In general, it is extremely difficult to connect with anyone.

It was completely useless.

A few are good but most are not.

It was more a case of being difficult to reach them. They send you three emails in a row, and if you do not respond, the case is closed, which is frustrating. They don't seem to care about resolving the issue; instead, it appears that they are more concerned with closing the case in order to meet the quota.

In the previous version, the initial setup required the installation of several tools in order to get things working properly. Many of those tools have been combined in the new versions.

The new version is supposedly easier to use, but there is still a lot of fine-tuning to be done, which they may have corrected by now.

Pricing is most likely comparable. Some are more costly than others. They are somewhere in the middle, in my opinion.

What other advice do I have?

ShadowXafe is the new software they have developed, that they have been focusing on it for the past couple of years. ShadowProtect is the older software.

I worked at StorageCraft for seven years. I was responsible for their technical sales. I am familiar with their products, as well as their competition.

I was on my own for almost five years, using their product and others to do backup recovery as a service for businesses. I use StorageCraft as well as some other vendors to fill in the gaps where they're weak. Because my job at the end of the day is to do a restore for companies.

I resell items, but mostly just implement, and manage their service. In most cases, I pay a monthly fee for whatever software we use.

We still have customers and use StorageCraft. We started using ShadowXafe, but it nearly destroyed my business. For older customers with older products, I reverted to the older version, and Beam for a few others.

If I had to rate ShadowXafe, I would say a two out of ten.

I would rate StorageCraft ShadowProtect an eight out of ten.

RS
Owner at a tech company with 1-10 employees
Stable single-server backup, with quick restore and good support

• "The most valuable features are that it is able to restore quickly and that it is able to virtually restore on Hyper-V."
  • "Licensing is an area that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I am a very small organization. I am a single person with a group of clients and most of them are five to ten seats.

I do onsite backups and I deal with ShadowProtect, and a couple of clients have moved up to their cloud solution. I will continue with this type of architecture for the small amount that I do.

We are using this solution almost exclusively for a single-server backup.

What is most valuable?

It's an extraordinary product. We've had ransomware several times over the last few years.

The most valuable features are that it is able to restore quickly and that it is able to virtually restore on Hyper-V.

What needs improvement?

Licensing is an area that needs improvement. I have had six support calls in the last two years all related to licensing because the license would stop all of a sudden.

I have been working with StorageCraft ShadowProtect for a few years.

Everybody has moved to version 6.

It's a very stable solution.

I believe that this solution is scalable, but it an area that I have not exercised.

I have had very little contact with technical support. I tend to work through things myself.

When I have had contact with technical support, I was satisfied. They did a good job.

The learning curve was about 10 years ago.

I guess maybe at first, it was complex, as none of those products were really matured at the time. It was in its infancy.

I don't pay monthly. I purchase the solution outright and use it until the license is done. I get my money's worth.

It is approximately $400 to purchase a virtual service outright.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that you do your backups and backup your backups. Always have multiple backups.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.