Stratoscale [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Stratoscale [EOL]?
Stratoscale is the cloud infrastructure company, allowing enterprises to deploy an AWS-compatible region in any data center. Stratoscale Symphony, can be deployed in minutes on commodity x86 servers, creating an Amazon Web Services (AWS) compatible region and offering AWS-compatible services including EC2, S3, EBS, RDS and Kubernetes. Stratoscale was named a “Cool Vendor in Servers and Virtualization” by Gartner and raised over $70M from leading investors including: Battery Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Cisco, Intel, Qualcomm Ventures, SanDisk and Leslie Ventures.

Download the Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Stratoscale [EOL] Customers
SanDisk, Orange, Merck, NTT, Troy Cable, Bezeq, Tieto, Neen, Ofek Cloud Technologies, APA IT, Netkom, SOS Surveillance, Futong, WeBank, Team Netsol

Archived Stratoscale [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

RB
Server and Storage Platform Team Lead at Invesco US
I like the automation and self-healing features

What is our primary use case?

SDDC.

How has it helped my organization?

Speed to market.

What is most valuable?

Automation and self-healing.

What needs improvement?

Oracle engine. Google and Azure API.

Still implementing.

What is our primary use case?

SDDC.

How has it helped my organization?

Speed to market.

What is most valuable?

Automation and self-healing.

What needs improvement?

• Oracle engine.
  • Google and Azure API.

Still implementing.
it_user621825
Senior Director, IT Global Service & Support at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It can dynamically allocate resources between different projects.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to dynamically allocate resources between different projects.

How has it helped my organization?

We efficiently move resources between major engineering projects. What used to take us weeks takes hours now.

What needs improvement?

Not all functionalities are available.

I have used Stratoscale for six months.

We have had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

Technical support is very good. We had a dedicated technical resource who was very knowledgeable.

Which solution did I use previously and

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Not all functionalities are available.

I have used Stratoscale for six months.

We have had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

We didn’t have a previous solution.

Initial setup was complex at the beginning as the system was still lacking some important features, while every new release required a full reinstallation.

We didn’t evaluate any other products.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product.

Find out what your peers are saying about Stratoscale, Amazon, Microsoft and others in Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS). Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Nir Ashkenazi
Global VP Technology & President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is scalable and gives us the ability to provide an AWS region to our clients everywhere.

What is most valuable?

The scalability of the product, and the ability to provide an AWS region to our clients everywhere; this is one of the most important features for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Stratoscale to allow our end customers and our integrators to manage their own servers and their own product. We're allowing them a great deal of flexibility in terms of how they utilize the cloud. We're making the cloud a lot closer to them, rather than having only six locations like Amazon does. For example, they don't have presence in Israel. They don't have a place in New York, which is closer to our customer base.

What needs improvement?

We've been working with the product for so long, we've actually been very satisfied. But they could integrate more products. They recently purchased a DB-as-a-service provider, which is something we've been expecting.

We never had an issue with stability, but when we implemented the product, there were certain places where we weren't sure that they are completely aligned with our goals, in terms of how we use the system to get there. I can tell you that the Stratoscale team was amazing; very responsive. They actually helped us throughout the phases of getting the product up and running. They made a lot of validation checks with us. We even found, along with their team, bugs with other vendors. For example, with our cloud storage; that was fixed with the help of our team and the Stratoscale team.

We have not had any scalability issues. We even performed an external stress test. We hired a third party to stress test the system, because that's one of our main goals. We're selling cloud and if we cannot scale, we are out of business. We hired the third company to stress test the system and it was above and beyond in terms of what we expected.

The value proposition is very good. We did our own ROI and we figured out that that's the best way to go. In terms of support, we had a dedicated success manager within Stratoscale that was available to us almost 24/7.

We used several products to test. Some of them were in their secret phase, because it was other start-ups. I cannot mention them at this point, because we are under NDA. We also tested the big ones. We tested Hyper-V, trying to get to this point; it was far off from what we needed.

Setup was very straightforward. When installing the product, it only asks you a very few straightforward questions regarding the architecture of your network: how does everything connect, how's the host connected to the network, how do you like to name the servers. That's only for the first server. The other servers, once you install them on this same environment, they take the same configurations. It's very smooth. The first server installation is about 20 minutes. The other servers are about 10 minutes. Whenever we need a new host, it's about 10 minutes to configure.

We looked at Hyper-V. We looked at VMware. We looked at other OpenStack-based solutions. We were able to find that Stratoscale was the one most fitted to our needs. The others were either more expensive or not suitable for what we needed or didn't support the roadmap that we had in mind for our cloud services.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice I can give them is the things that we actually done ourselves, which is: We tested the product and installed it in our own environment. Get to know the product. There's a lot of high-tech features.

Download our free Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Stratoscale, Amazon, Microsoft, and more!