SwiftStack Valuable Features
Scientific Information Officer at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
- You can bring your own drives, which don't have to be certified. This usually means that they cost significantly more to insert a certified drive with the manufacturer who is selling you your solution.
- It is platform independent, so you bring your own hardware. It doesn't matter if you get a Dell EMC, HPE, IBM, etc. Its hardware agnostic capabilities are great. Dell EMC, HPE, and Lenovo are obviously big players, but sometimes they don't have the best prices. You are not tied to any one particular vendor, and it gives you great flexibility as far as pricing is concerned. You can go out, and say, "Give me the most capacity in the smallest number of use spaces." Sometimes that's not the big vendors, it's the small vendors who provide this.
- The forward thinking in their cloud solution creates a global namespace across the major public clouds. It allows you to go from on-premise to the cloud seamlessly. They have made it easier to move data between the different cloud vendors and move those flows from on-premise to the cloud, then from the cloud back to on-premise. That freedom that they facilitate is hard to put a price on, because it gives you flexibility.
- The metadata search capabilities are something that we look forward to being able to use, though we haven't fully had a chance to get into them. However, in the life sciences area, it could be tremendously beneficial.
- Ease of operation: We got it up and running, and it's been solid. We can upgrade the capacity of our drives at any point in time.
- The flexibility that the solution provides, both for hardware and on-premise, then to the cloud. That flexibility is great.
Engineering Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Group Leader Online Data Services at Surfsara
The most valuable feature is its versatility. We use 1space and we can use it for almost anything: for our cloud service, for backups of VMs. You can use it for almost anything. That's something we like very much.
We have a storage policy where we have three copies of the data. We migrate that data to another storage policy and we use the 1space feature for that. I very much doubt that the developers envisioned that use case when they developed it but it does work.
When working with petabytes of data, we find that data can be ingested and accessed at a fast rate.
SwiftStack is also quite flexible when it comes to hardware. It depends, of course, on the use case and the kind of hardware you want to buy. But you have quite a bit of choice in hardware. The SwiftStack software itself does not impose anything on you.View full review »