Symantec Advanced Threat Protection Overview

Symantec Advanced Threat Protection is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Advanced Threat Protection tools. It is most often compared to FireEye Network Security: Symantec Advanced Threat Protection vs FireEye Network Security

What is Symantec Advanced Threat Protection?

Symantec Advanced Threat Protection is a single unified solution that uncovers, prioritizes, and remediates advanced attacks. The product fuses intelligence from endpoint, network, and email control points, as well as Symantec’s massive global sensor network, to stop threats that evade individual security products. It leverages your existing Symantec Endpoint Protection and Symantec Email Security.cloud investments, so it does not require the deployment of any new agents. You can deploy a new installation of Symantec Advanced Threat Protection and start to discover suspicious activity in under an hour. Using the proven technology in Symantec Insight reputation based detection, Symantec SONAR behavioral analysis with the new Symantec Cynic sandbox and file analysis platform, Symantec Advanced Threat Protection provides better detection and prioritization than other vendors, allowing security analysts to “zero in” on just those specific security events of importance.

Symantec Advanced Threat Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Advanced Threat Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Symantec Advanced Threat Protection Customers

ECI

Symantec Advanced Threat Protection Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Advanced Threat Protection pricing:
  • "The pricing of this solution is inexpensive and affordable."

Symantec Advanced Threat Protection Reviews

Bálint Kamarás
Lead IT Security Consultant at Compliance Data Systems Kft.
Aug 5, 2020
Good incident management and great integrations but needs to improve its on-premises appliances

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its integration capabilities.

• "The incident management on the solution is very good. You get a lot of detailed information about an incident. You also get a lot of documentation in connection with the CVI or integration."
  • "Symantec appliances need improvement. The whole appliance environment is a robust system and it needs a massive amount of storage space. If you have to increase or speed up the background storage it's a pretty complicated process. The scalability and sizing is critical, and if you do it wrong you run into issues pretty quickly."

What other advice do I have?

We have been platinum partners with Symantec. The solution is at a bit of a crossroads due to its acquisition by Broadcom and they changed their EDI solution because Broadcom had an EDI network solution too. There were EDI scanners in the network, but it's on the side. Now they have a new direction in this area, due to the fact that they want to solve these processes only from the endpoint side. Frankly, I am still waiting for the restart of this new direction. I do not think it's enough. While most deployments are using on-premises, we have some hybrid and cloud solutions too. It depends on…
reviewer956412
Competitive Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 23, 2019
Offers elaborate detection features and provides information linked to each of the attacked computers

• "They manage to solve detection quite nicely. There is some rather elaborate detection compared to other providers."
  • "It's a strange situation where the infrastructure of the consumer or customer is behind some kind of firewall and they have always used some kind of customized proxy. In this situation, the ATP has a very tough time to pass the information to the cloud and back. To fix, it requires a more elaborate and complex configuration for that particular case."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend GravityZone over the Symantec package. Symantec has a lot of products which are working individually and separately and in the last two or three years, they have tried hard to integrate one with the other. ATP has had some serious features cut, and they're not working timing-wise if you don't integrate it with endpoint protection. My advice to the company would be to either make them work individually, separately or to integrate them seriously. The dependency between several separately sold products from Symantec is bothersome. You buy a product, for example, Endpoint…
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Advanced Threat Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Adminisyste67
System Administrator at a non-tech company with 201-500 employees
Jul 16, 2019
Offers email protection, monitoring detection, network intrusion detection, and overall advanced threat protection

• "Technical support is very responsive. You just have to open a ticket. They respond in a timely manner. Their response is good. I'm satisfied."
  • "The administration interface needs a lot of improvement. It should be UI based, and simple. They need to improve it. It's pretty much not that friendly compared to what we were using as Bitdefender before. It's okay but is improving, actually."

What other advice do I have?

Overall I can recommend the product. It's pretty much the best for protecting from intrusions or other malicious items that are coming from the endpoint and the servers. If you have the ATP software, it will actively seek out whatever is being affected inside it because it has PFM threat protection enabled for it. Each of these features is not normally found for endpoint protection. I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.
SeniorDib3d3
Senior Director of IT Operations at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Mar 20, 2019
It's very helpful from a centralized administration point of view

What is our primary use case?

Endpoint production is to protect our laptops. So, we use it to secure our corporate laptops.

• "It has certainly helped out our audit efforts because we each stay compliant in terms of various security standards."
  • "An improvement could be made on the reporting because then it would be easier to collect information and submit it for compliance."

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid solution. Do your testing. Get a trail edition. Try to attack it with malware in your lab. See how it will stand up in a bake-off. The key thing is to keep up with all the industry changes. There are more services running on the cloud and figuring out how to do that.
reviewer1260576
CyberSecurity Operations Lead at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 17, 2020
Good threat protection, but cloud capabilities need improvement and technical support is poor

What is our primary use case?

In general, we use the solution as our endpoint protection. It's an additional layer, and it's our endpoint security for our antivirus product for the company.

• "All of the solution's features are quite valuable for us. We especially like the threat protection it provides."
  • "The cloud platform needs to have improvement in terms of the user interface and the different capabilities it has available. It needs to match the other leading next-gen EDR products that are available in the market. That's the reason why we are stepping away from Symantec. Their cloud environment is just generally lacking in comparison to others."

What other advice do I have?

We originally deployed the on-premises model, but over the past year, we've started to use the cloud deployment as well. It would be really great if we had some involvement from Symantec's side. Some of the other endpoint protection products in the market or other companies who are selling the same product, are, in my experience, really helpful. That's one thing that's lacking on the Symantec side. For those considering implementing the product, try to get Symantec as involved as possible. It would be better. I'd rate the solution six out of ten, based on the cloud capabilities and the privacy…
Mohammed Asif
Asst. Manager System Administration at Saudi Re
Oct 3, 2019
Protects us from email threats that include file attachments and embedded URLs

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for email threat protection. It automatically scans our emails, including attachments. It also provides a sandbox feature. It is hosted within the Symantec cloud.

• "The most valuable feature is Click-time URL protection."
  • "There are limits with respect to blocking files by hash value or blocking IP addresses, and these limits should be removed."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution, and whatever our requirement is, all of the features are there. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
reviewer1327503
Infrastructure Team Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 7, 2020
Stable with good line protection; advanced threat protection is somewhat lacking

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for endpoint protection. I'm an infrastructure team leader and we are a customer of Symantec.

What is most valuable?

Endpoint to network is a good feature, it can protect the line.

What needs improvement?

In general, improvements can be made but nothing specific. I think SonicWall and McAfee are better solutions.  I think this is a good solution for someone looking for endpoint protection but not so great if you're looking for advanced threat protection.

I've been using this solution for about six years.

I think this is a stable solution, we haven't had any bugs or glitches.

Product Categories
Advanced Threat Protection
Download our free Symantec Advanced Threat Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.