Symantec Cyber Security Services OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Cyber Security Services is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Managed Security Services tools. It is most often compared to Dell Secureworks: Symantec Cyber Security Services vs Dell Secureworks

What is Symantec Cyber Security Services?

Technology alone may not stop advanced threats. You need security experts on hand to interpret and prioritize the critical events that need action. Your designated and highly specialized, in-region security analysts are available 24x7 to act as an extension of your team, continuously monitoring and hunting for advanced threats. Our analysts are some of the best-trained security experts in the world and they leverage state of the art technologies and global threat intelligence to minimize the business impact of cyber attacks. Detect, assess, and respond to attacks faster with Symantec Cyber Security Services.

Symantec Cyber Security Services Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Cyber Security Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Symantec Cyber Security Services Customers

BayWa, Carrington Holding Company, Citizens Business Bank, Englewood Hospital and Medical Center, FBL Financial, Molina Healthcare Inc., Pgi, Sealed Air, TSO cloud

Symantec Cyber Security Services Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Cyber Security Services pricing:
  • "Currently, we are paying about $3,000-$4,000 yearly. I don't believe there are costs above the standard licensing fee."
  • "The list price is approximately $50 USD annually per user."

Symantec Cyber Security Services Reviews

Osaid Raza
Information Security Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mature, stable, and reduces threats.Symantec Managed Security Services has been relatively easy to deploy and operate. Symantec's support is knowledgeable at the lowest tier and responsive.

• "This product has a feature-rich environment that fill the needs of those looking for antivirus but it is more than just a solution for antivirus and cybersecurity services."
  • "The reporting has fallen behind competing products and needs to be updated to meet or beat the competition."

What is our primary use case?

There have been a few recent incidents that have occurred with hacking and breaching of security. Not all of the public is aware of these problems and the problems it causes for the businesses involved — as well as their clients. So we are focusing on our work to reduce these threats on-premises and we are keeping up-to-date on cloud instances as well. We have various sources giving us feedback on what we can do and we are using the information to ward off this problem, help our clients and reduce cyberattacks. We are conducting seminars for awareness of the problems that are ongoing about the threats to cybersecurity.

Currently, the government in our sector is not focusing much on cybersecurity but gradually they will have to do more to work on this. Our hope is to help Pakistan reach goals in the digital community. The testing and deployment of 4.4 IoT (Internet of Things) for Blockchain and artificial intelligence along with other things like Symantec Cyber Security are tools that we are cultivating. By May of 2020, we expect to be able to compete not just in Pakistan, but in the world as well.

What is most valuable?

Out IT team is the group that is looking at and evaluating the features of the Symantec product. I am not the best person in our organization to comment on this product right now about the most valuable features. But I, personally, do have around eight to ten years of experience locally, internationally and personally with Symantec products and I love them. Symantec is a wonderful product and they have feature-rich environments that fill the needs of those looking for antivirus but they are more than just a solution for antivirus and cybersecurity services. Other products are trying to onboard all the services that Symantec is already providing. I think that Symantec is in a good position within the industry and with the Gartner reports as well for good marks in security and risk management.

What needs improvement?

The part of the product that I think needs the most work is reporting. From time-to-time, we face different challenges, so flexibility and improved reporting details would be more convenient in order to get the information we need. If we generate a report from SIEM (Security Information and Event Management) we see all the details end-to-end. In fact, they also show us the global map as well.

Symantec needs to do something more like this and expand the reporting capabilities to match the competition. The technology over time leads to change and evolution, and competing products need to stay in the race. Besides this divergence in reporting, Cyber Security Services is a genuinely great product.

Besides the reporting, I think Symantec has to focus on some cloud service as well. Most of the appliances getting fees from AlienVault cloud have more focus on the potential of the cloud as it seems to be much of the future of all aspects of computing. I think these are the two focusing points Symantec needs to take into account.

We have been using Symantec Cyber Security for around three years.

The product is mature and stable, definitely. I am one of the many satisfied users of Symantec products.

I think the product is very scalable in any way you can imagine. There may be some cost depending on what you do, but the product itself really does not seem to be limited in the way it can expand.

In a financial institution like my organization, so we have it on 24-hour service. So it only requires two to three people to maintain Symantec cybersecurity appliances while they work with some other appliances as well. This is because many things are going to be automatic and we just oversee the batches or other server license services. There is no need to be watching the product all the time because it is not meant to be monitored by humans all the time. Three people who are aware of the product are enough for maintaining cybersecurity or Symantec services.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to approach the Symantec support team directly. I think from time-to-time there is interaction on social media with me because of the shared interest people have in cybersecurity. It might be Symantec or McAfee or other products. But technically, I did not contact them for support because between our team and Symantec, there is a vendor and their job is to connect with the Symantec technical team to sort out all of the issues if some issue occurs.

I joined the organization before they made the decision to go with Symantec. They have or have still another antivirus like Norton Security Premium in some instances. This does not change my opinion of Symantec.

Now it is simple to work with the initial installation of Symantec. It wasn't always. It is not a complex concept because people know very well about the importance of cybersecurity. They are working in different locations. There are cybersecurity information sessions and conferences. We are creating awareness ourselves at our company for the people and the organizations. We are involved in the universities as well and we are giving the students some advanced core security projects.

Security is finally a recognized product and finally a project as well. Now the dynamics are changing and there are people working in different universities and different organizations coming together to work on these problems. They are opening regional and country-wide chapters as well. They are looking at this problem and calling on people to get themselves up to date on what is going on in the cybersecurity domain.

The problem it solves is complex, I think. The product itself is not so complex to use, but at the same time, it is definitely not a very simple technical thing. The UI is not so user-friendly without instruction. If I give someone a training session for like an hour or two hours that is all it takes to can get all the things they need to understand. I think, on average, it is not very difficult to learn.

I personally did not do the installation. A man came in and he installed the product. I think he took around a week because we have around 3,000 to 4,000 users. But now even I will get some lessons on Symantec. Very soon the vendor will come to us to give us personal instruction on the installation and implementation.

The installation and implementation was done by the vendor, not by someone from our company.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to someone who is looking into implementing Symantec Cyber Security Services is that I would recommend the product. I have a strong connection with security work. I have a lot of friends from India, from the UAE, from Canada, from the U.S, and we share information. I recommend this product as nine out of ten based not just on what I have experienced but on what I know from the cyber community.

We are conducting a multiple vendor cybersecurity event. We are open to companies who want to introduce their products as well. In Pakistan, Karachi, Slavs, and Lahore, we are working on this. Definitely I'm trying to recommend these security precautions to other users. The hope is to beat the threats of cyberattacks. Many products may do the job, but the important part is to do the job.

Overall, I would rate Symantec Cyber Security Services and nine out of ten.

GC
Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
Easy to use with a good user interface and excellent management capabilities

• "The solution is very easy to use. It's not very complicated."
  • "The solution needs to improve its reporting functionality. That's lacking right now. They need to change the layout or make it more functional."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this product to maximize the filtration of my server. I use it for controlling the traffic, specifically internal traffic. We manage our users and are able to block users from accessing the internet if necessary. We mainly use the solution as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use. It's not very complicated.

It's easy to control our users and to block users from accessing the internet, for example.

I'm able to easily manage my internet's bandwidth.

The firewall is fantastic. It's one of the most valuable aspects of the solution.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

The solution has good integration capabilities.

There's the opportunity to do a seminar with the company, in order for users to help better understand the solution.

The user interface is quite good. Everything is easy to find.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its reporting functionality. That's lacking right now. They need to change the layout or make it more functional. I would like to make reports according to groups. Right now, I can't do this.

The pricing is quite high and could be reduced.

I've been using the solution for five or six years at this point. It's been a long time.

The stability is good. It's even better than it used to be, as we'd initiated a lot of new rules.

The solution is scalable. A company can expand if they need to. There's a lot of integration capabilities as well that make it easy.

We have about 400 users on the solution currently.

I'm not sure if we'll increase usage in the future. We're actually considering changing solutions.

Technical support is quite good. We find them knowledgeable and responsive. We're satisfied with the assistance that they provide.

We're currently looking at another solution that is not as expensive. I sometimes do use Calico Control. I find the software on the solution is better than Symantec.

The initial setup was not complex. It's very straightforward. Even configuring the servers is very easy when you are implementing the solution for the first time.

The deployment is quick. It's doesn't take too long. We had about 11 staff members that handled the deployment.

We didn't hire a consultant or integrator. We handled the solution's implementation ourselves. It's fairly easy. We didn't need help.

This solution is expensive. We're looking for a more reasonably priced product currently, as we can't afford the yearly licensing fee.

I don't have much experience with other solutions and their ability to handle firewall management. However, many can do email, management of devices, and threat management as well.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the solution.

We've been using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Symantec Cyber Security Services. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PankajJain
CEO at PANZER IT
Reseller
Provides security transparently in the background, but the technical support needs to be improved

• "The technical aspects and the features of this product are all good."
  • "As far as new ransomware and the next-generation malware is concerned, Symantec is not quite up to the mark."

What is our primary use case?

We are channel partners and national distributors for this solution, and we sell it to end-customers across India. Our customers use this solution generally for cybersecurity, but more specifically as an anti-virus solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Symantec is extremely versatile, extandable solution. it covers all platforms, all OS & devices. APT, EDR, Patch management etc all under one roof.

What is most valuable?

The biggest selling point and the most valuable thing to our users is the brand name. It is a top priority in business and for our customers.

The technical aspects and the features of this product are all good.

What needs improvement?

As far as new ransomware and the next-generation malware is concerned, Symantec is not quite up to the mark. I wouldn't say it is the best, but average and competitive compared to other anti-malware security products.

The pricing and licensing need to be simplified because it is more on the commercial side.

Technical support needs to be improved.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see more features for APT and ADR.

I have probably got a couple of hundred clients who are using this solution, and some of them have been using Symantec for 10 to 15 years.

Symantec Cyber Security Services is a stable solution that is working fine. It runs in the background at all times.

This solution is quite scalable.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate technical support a three.

In my experience, I have seen that people tend to keep changing their cybersecurity products every three or four years.

The initial setup is simple.

Some of our customers have on-premises deployments, while others are using a cloud-based solution. The length of time for deployment varies depending on the number of users. For example, if it is being implemented for 1,000 users then it will probably take a couple of weeks to deploy.

On average, it takes two junior-level engineers to deploy and maintain this solution. Generally, the clients do the implementation themselves.

The list price is approximately $50 USD annually per user.

What other advice do I have?

For people who use this solution, it is updated automatically.

My advice to anybody who is implementing Cyber Security Services is to consider that alone, this is not a foolproof solution. They also need to install a firewall and some kind of APT (Advanced persistent threat) products. Essentially, it needs to be part of a security bundle.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

FS
Senior Manager - Cyber Security at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good device control, but poor stability and client memory utilization should be very optimized

• "The solution offers good device control."
  • "The stability of the solution could use a lot of improvement. It was our biggest concern."

What is our primary use case?

We used the solution primarily for its antivirus capabilities and device management.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good device control.

What needs improvement?

At the endpoint, the client memory utilization should be very optimized. The client takes up a lot of memory when processing CPU, so it affects the endpoint performance. It's the reason we ended up switching solutions.

Although we are no longer using it, we had used the solution for two years.

The solution wasn't too stable. We had issues around the utilization.

Scalability was a problem for us. It's not ideal.

We have contacted technical support. They weren't good but they weren't bad either. It was an average level of support.

We work with Trend, and McAfee together. We no longer use Symantec.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's not complicated. Deployment took about two and a half to three months.

SIU assisted with the setup. If the solution would have had better setup support, we wouldn't have needed them.

We looked at McAfee and Trend Micro. We use both of those now.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten. We've since moved over to McAfee.

Noppasorn Kadchan
Technical Manager at vst
Reseller
Ease to configure and use, and the management portal is helpful

• "The most valuable feature is the management portal."
  • "This solution needs to improve with respect to zero-day attack response."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. It is for managed security and our clients use it to protect their company data and infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the management portal.

The threat ranking feature is good.

This product is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to improve with respect to zero-day attack response.

Technical support is slow and needs to be improved.

I have been working with Symantec Cyber Security Services for about ten years.

We have not had any trouble with stability issues.

Scalability has not been a problem.

Technical support is poor these days and they are slow to respond. It seems that they have some internal problems.

This is not a complex product. It is easy to set up, configure, and use. The deployment takes about five days.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is ok but they have problems with providing support. It may be related to the sale of the product to another vendor. For now, I would not recommend it. However, perhaps in three or six months, things will improve and I will reconsider.