MUHAMMAD FAHAD  HASSAN
System Engineer at ABM Info. tech
Great end point encryption and provides good data loss prevention

• "Good end point encryption and data loss prevention."
  • "The policies need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

In Pakistan, this solution is used mainly in the banking sector for protecting the credit card payment industry. Our clients are generally small businesses. We are partners with Symantec and I'm the manager of information security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the end point encryption and the solution provides good data loss prevention.

What needs improvement?

Symantec needs to improve the policies. If they could gear the policies, or the templates, and publish them, enabling customers to download them, it would simplify things.  They currently have a package uploaded in the system with some policies but there is no option to download our link device. There are some difficulties on the portals with Symantec. In general, the softwares are not available for partners on their portal. If a new patch requires updating on customer sites, those particular softwares are not available on the partner portal. The products they're giving the agent for Linux operating system could be simplified but Symantec is not geared for writing that option for Linux and running windows on it. Symantec doesn't have any agent for DLP on the operating system.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

The initial setup is quite complex and can take around two hours.

Licensing costs are based on the number of users and can be purchased on an annual, three-year or five-year basis. The cost is high compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

KP
Network Engineer at LTTS
Provides an excellent reporting feature

• "The solution offers great reporting."
  • "The solution could offer improved more informative documentation."

What is our primary use case?

We have several use cases, the main one is probably the prevention of prohibited files from being uploaded. I'm a user of this product and a network engineer.

What is most valuable?

Reporting is the most valuable feature the solution offers. It provides information on any incidents that occur in our environment.

What needs improvement?

Symantec doesn't necessarily catch things that are happening in the DLP features such as someone attempting credit card fraud. For the future, I'd like to see better documentation with a more informative focus.

I've been using this solution for about three years.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable solution. We currently have 15,000 users so it's very scalable.

We have primary support from one of the vendors and they are good.

The initial setup is not very complex but it's not simple either. We had assistance from the vendor. There is no maintenance required - at the initial stage we created a policy for monitoring only and we get the day to day logs. After that we impose a policy for blocking and justification. This solution is used on a daily basis.

I've worked with other DLP solutions that I think were better than Symantec, but it's working well for us currently.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for us and I would recommend it. I'd rate Symantec DLP a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Amrutha  Gadagakar
Data Protection Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Highly stable, good paid support, and scalable

• "I have found the most valuable feature to be partial enlisting."
  • "Symantec could improve by being more creative and simplifying the functions. Additionally, the data protection should be bundled with data classification and labeling instead of them being separate."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Symantec Data Loss Prevention for protecting IPs and intellectual properties.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable feature to be partial enlisting.

What needs improvement?

Symantec could improve by being more creative and simplifying the functions. Additionally, the data protection should be bundled with data classification and labeling instead of them being separate.

I have been using Symantec Data Loss Prevention for approximately four years.

The stability has been good.

I would rate the stability of Symantec Data Loss Prevention a four out of five. There is room for some improvement.

The unpaid support can have a lot of delays but the paid premium support is good.

I rate the technical support of Symantec Data Loss Prevention a three out of five.

The installation is more complex than other solutions.

We did the implementation of the solution ourselves.

The price of the solution is expensive.

We did evaluate other options before choosing Symantec Data Loss Prevention, such as Microsoft solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if it fits their companies requirements.

I would advise those dealing with critical sensitive information to use Symantec, such as in the health care industry. If the data is not as sensitive, I would recommend Microsoft.

I rate Symantec Data Loss Prevention an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
SS
Information Security GRC at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Highly scalable, reliable, and plenty of features

• "Symantec Data Loss Prevention is the number one product in its field. It does its job well and it has all the necessary features. It is definitely better than any other solution on the market."
  • "There should be more information about the features of the solution and what they do. This way we would be able to use all the features that are available."

What is our primary use case?

Symantec Data Loss Prevention is used for endpoints to protect users from data leaks.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Symantec Data Loss Prevention for approximately five years.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention is reliable and stable.

The solution is highly scalable.

We have approximately 50 people using this solution in my organization.

We have not needed to contact technical support. We have our own internal team that handles support.

We did the implementation of the solution.

The solution should be less expensive to allow more people the opportunity to use it. Some of their competitors are less expensive. There is a license required to use the solution and we purchased an annual license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Symantec Data Loss Prevention a nine out of ten.

SK
Associate at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
A stable, scalable and easily installable solution which offers a maintenance pack for bug inspection

• "The initial setup is easy."
  • "I would like to see an improved interface, with better documentation and integration with other products."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the current version.

What is most valuable?

We are planning to implement OCT, which we consider a valuable feature.

We also like the maintenance pack for bug inspection. We encountered many bugs, especially with the Endpoint MP1, the MP2 being the other one.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improved interface, with better documentation and integration with other products.

The initial setup could also be better, so that the solution would easily interact with other monitoring tools without the need for taking further steps.

I have been using Symantec Data Loss Prevention for four or five years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is definitely scalable.

For non-critical issues, technical support lends email assistance. Otherwise, we will work with the log. For critical issues they talk with us by phone.

The initial setup is easy.

I cannot comment on the price, as this is in the purview of the finance team.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Symantec Data Loss Prevention as an eight out of ten.

AA
Information Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enables us to protect sensitive and confidential data

• "We work in the banking field. We deploy data loss prevention. Our branch protects our clients' data, credit card numbers, account numbers, and other confidential and sensitive data."
  • "I would like for the administrator management interface to improve. It's kind of old and slow. Updating it would make this solution better."

What is our primary use case?

We work in the banking field. We deploy data loss prevention. Our branch protects our clients' data, credit card numbers, account numbers, and other confidential and sensitive data.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Symantec for three years.

We haven't had any issues with stability.

I have actually contacted technology support twice. They never responded.

The initial setup is complex. It should be made simpler. The deployment takes around a day to day and a half.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because there are certain things that need improvement.

My advice to someone considering this solution is to look at your needs. Try a few products because there are some features that exist in other solutions like Forcepoint that do not exist in Palo Alto. You should choose a solution based on your needs.

I would recommend Symantec depending on the needs of the clients, but for me, Symantec is the best on the market.

Product Categories
Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
Download our free Symantec Data Loss Prevention Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.