NoufalMohamed
Technical Manager at Mignet Technologies
Reseller
Good device control, good features in the basic plan, and good price, but needs better performance and user-friendly dashboard

• "Device control is most valuable. Symantec is providing all such features in the basic plan, whereas when we last checked, such a feature was not available in the basic plan of Malwarebytes."
  • "More control features can be added, and its performance can also be better. Sometimes, the performance is not good when we access the cloud console. Moving to each tab is slow. The dashboard can be a little bit user-friendly. For some users, it is a bit difficult. If someone is a little bit familiar with it, then it is fine. Otherwise, it is hard to find policies in Symantec."

What is our primary use case?

We are providing endpoint protection services. Our customers are very basic, and they usually enquire about endpoint protection, mainly antivirus. We try to explain to them about the threats and suggest that they go for endpoint security. We suggest this solution because it is a cloud-based solution, and they don't need to spare a VM for it. However, most of the time, they insist that nothing will happen to their system, and they just want to renew their endpoint protection system. They are usually not aware of ransomware or other threats.

How has it helped my organization?

I recently checked with a customer, and the feedback that we have got from this customer is that it is catching almost all pirated applications. They are very happy with it. The customer was using a few pirated applications, and it blocked all those applications. The IT person was able to convince them to go for genuine applications.

What is most valuable?

Device control is most valuable. Symantec is providing all such features in the basic plan, whereas when we last checked, such a feature was not available in the basic plan of Malwarebytes.

What needs improvement?

More control features can be added, and its performance can also be better. Sometimes, the performance is not good when we access the cloud console. Moving to each tab is slow.

I have been using this solution for just one year.

It is stable.

Initially, our customer had a problem with SSO, and they contacted Symantec's technical support. They got immediate support, but the support that they received was not good.

Initially, it was a bit complex, and we spent some time understanding it. Since then, it has been straightforward. We know where exactly everything is. We have become familiar with it.

We usually set it up for our customers.

It is cheap. It is especially cheaper than Malwarebytes, which is three times higher than this. It is also cheaper than Cisco. Its price is almost similar to Bitdefender, Gravity, and CloudZone.

What other advice do I have?

Before recommending a solution, we check out the new features in each solution because we provide constant support. I would recommend this solution if a customer's requirements are basic. Similarly, if you are concerned about the price and looking for a safer option to secure your endpoints, you can go with Symantec.

It lacks certain features that are there in other solutions. There are certain features that are available in Bitdefender, but they are not there in this solution. I'm also not sure how good is its anti-ransomware protection.

I would rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security a seven out of ten. As compared to other solutions, I don't find it to be a great solution, but our customers are very satisfied with it, and they would rate it at least an eight out of ten.

MN
Manager IS Security at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very stable and easy to manage but needs advanced threat protection

• "It is very easy to managing everything in relation to the implementation and processing. The initial setup is very easy."
  • "If the agent can be minimized so that it can work with in-memory concepts, that would be ideal. As of now, it is file-based, signature-based."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for all of our desktops and laptops; we use it for security purposes - for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

The solution is constantly getting updated with the latest definitions.

It's easy to get it across to all clients. The agent installation is very easy and the agent will talk to the server.

It is very easy to managing everything in relation to the implementation and processing. The initial setup is very easy.

The solution scales quite well.

The solution has proven itself to be very stable over the years.

Technical support has been pretty good in general.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the solution could match up with the competition's offerings - for example, making sure they are keeping up with, for example, CrowdStrike and other offerings.

They need to ensure they are continuously keeping up with cybersecurity trends.

If the next release contained advanced threat protection and EDR, et cetera, it would be really fantastic.

If the agent can be minimized so that it can work with in-memory concepts, that would be ideal. As of now, it is file-based, signature-based. If they should come with an in-memory option, it should work at the random-access memory level also.

We've been using Symantec for the past two decades. It's been a long time. I have years of experience with the product.

The stability has been very good. We haven't had any issues in that respect. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is very reliable.

The solution can scale if you need it to. If a company needs to expand it, it shouldn't be a problem to do so.

I can't speak to how many of our users are currently on the product at this time.

As of right now, we do not have plans to increase the usage within our organization.

Technical support has been very good so far. We find them to be helpful and responsive. We're quite satisfied with the level of support we get.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It is very simple and straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial implementation.

We may switch to another solution and we are evaluating a variety of options currently. We have not come to a decision just yet. We simply want to see what else is on the market and how this product stands up to other solutions. We're mostly just curious to see what is happening in the space. We've looked at, for example, CrowdStrike, among others.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer as well as an end-user. We don't have a professional or business relationship with the company.

We only ever use the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure what version number we are on right now, however.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Symantec End-User Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CA
System Analyst at Abbey Mortgage Bank
Great auto-discovery capabilities with good overall security features and good stability

• "The solution offers very good security features and is comparable to Sophos."
  • "The monitoring capabilities could be further developed."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection for the workstations. It's desktop protection, basically.

What is most valuable?

The auto-discovery capabilities are great.

The solution offers very good security features and is comparable to Sophos.

The solution is quite stable.

What needs improvement?

Sophos's ransomware protection gives you some kind of comparative advantage over Symantec. Symantec needs to be better in this regard.

The monitoring capabilities could be further developed. For example, you get Sophos Central in Sophos. In Symantec, I don't know if there is an equivalent. You can actually manage and do deployment across the various geo-locations on every single point, however, Sophos is a cross-platform solution and Symantec is not.

Sophos Central gives me a one-stop-shop on one page that allows me to monitor all activities going on in my network. Symantec doesn't have that.

The initial setup can be a bit complex.

The scalability could be a bit easier.

We're not too happy with the level of technical support we get.

The pricing is okay, however, it could be more competitive.

I've been using the solution for ten years at this point. It's been about a decade. We've used it for a long time.

The solution is very stable. We have no complaints. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability of the product is decent. I'd rate the ease of scalability at a seven or eight out of ten.

The support hasn't been fantastic lately. It can be better. We're not very satisfied overall. They need to be more helpful and responsive.

I use Symantec, however, I also use Sophos. I use Sophos for endpoint protection for my server. I use Symantec for my email workstations, et cetera.

For Symantec, it's sometimes a bit complex or difficult - especially when you're setting it up. It's not straightforward when you have to set it up, specifically from the server. On top of that, the administrative side is not a piece of cake. You have a lot of items you need to take care of.

The pricing is decent. It falls within an acceptable range. However, if the goal is to draw more clients, it could be a bit less expensive.

If you do a comparison between Symantec and Sophos, then you can easily see the comparative advantages Sophos has over Symantec. Symantec should study it in order to gain an edge in the industry and to better understand the areas to improve on, and what additional features to add.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten.

MS
Project Manager at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
A straightforwards setup with good pricing and good real-time updating capabilities

• "The pricing is pretty good."
  • "Technical support could be more responsive."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using this solution for our workstations.

What is most valuable?

The product is a good antivirus in terms of the fact that it can do real-time scanning and scheduling. We can plan scans for the weekend. We can also control it on the server for all the clients it manages.

The solution gets real-time updates of virus definition files from the internet. If there is any malware attack or something, then it can immediately download and apply it to the clients.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The pricing is pretty good. We don't find it too expensive to have in our organization.

What needs improvement?

We've had some issues with the performance. There have been some minor hiccups. Now it's better. Initially, it had some issues, not for all, but some of the systems only. We had applied a fix that was released in the 14.1 version. By 14.2 they fixed the issue. Ever since we applied 14.2, it's good.

During the scanning time, it could be less intrusive for the users. Right now, it's not exactly working quietly in the background.

Technical support could be more responsive.

I've been using the solution for six years at this point. It's been a while since we began working with it.

While we've had issues with stability in the past, since version 14.2 it hasn't been a problem. We no longer have issues.

The resources can be expanded with more load and all, however, I'm not sure how scalable it is in terms of expanding it.

Internally, there are likely 800 users that use this product.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. They are okay, however, they could be faster in their response time. We're not fully satisfied with their level of service.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is not too complex. It's pretty simple and straightforward. A company shouldn't have too much trouble with the implementation.

The installation of the server would have taken few hours, however, on the client site we attracted an automated installation, so it deployed from the server and we can pose the agent to the server from the client.

We had a manager and two consultants that handled the implementation.

We had a consultant assist us with the client.

We need licenses to use the product, however, the pricing is reasonable. It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten.

Phillip Evely
Network Administrator at Cape Breton Regional Municipality
Offers good antivirus protection, but there's no way to track how infection get into the network

• "The antivirus and antimalware features are good."
  • "The platform itself can be improved as there's no way to track how infections get into the organization."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for endpoint protection at the desktop level.

What is most valuable?

The antivirus and antimalware features are good. Reporting is also pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The platform itself can be improved as there's no way to track how infections get into the organization. You're just notified if there is an instance. Still, there's no way to actually determine a workflow of how it actually came in, how it was executed, and how it was distributed within the enterprise if indeed it did migrate or propagate through.

It would be really good if they had a proactive feature to isolate the node with the agent on the endpoint when it sees some type of erroneous behavior and knock it off the network. Then it can't probably get onto another node. You can usually do that with a policy setting.

It'll also help if they give us more of an explanation of what the malware tries to do once it's on the network. For example, if it's trying to call home to a specific IP or domain. We can use that information to beef up the firewall rules.

Case in point, we had an issue where we had a machine that was affected. It immediately tried to find other machines on that network segment with the same vulnerability to infect that particular node. There was no way to lock that node down immediately when you see something out of the ordinary.

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Protection for about 13 years.

Stability has been fair. There have been some issues with the CPU utilization on some of the endpoints. A little bit of a resource hog, but we've been able to work through it for the most part.

Symantec Endpoint Protection scaled very well. It's actually very easy to use.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It probably took an afternoon or maybe a day to install and deploy.

I implemented Symantec Endpoint Protection by myself.

We usually go on a per-seat basis, and it's usually yearly. The prices fluctuate, but this year I think it was maybe around $12,000. If you're looking at the on-prem costs for the virtual server and the licensing for the server, that would be the only extra cost.

What other advice do I have?

Symantec Endpoint Protection is very straightforward to implement. The installation of the septum server on-prem is very straightforward, and you can push the radio to your endpoints almost instantly.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Symantec Endpoint Protection a six.

RC
Sr. Windows Analysts at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly and does the job but it forces upgrades instead of patching

• "It seems to be user-friendly. Our users seem to like it for the most part."
  • "Every time an OS comes out, I have to upgrade the Symantec product. They don't know how to patch it. If they would produce a patch instead of uninstalling or installing over the current version and rebooting I'd be a lot happier with the product."

What is most valuable?

We haven't had problems with the product recently.

The solution does the job.

It seems to be user-friendly. Our users seem to like it for the most part.

What needs improvement?

As far as what it attacks and how good it is and its job I don't really care. It drives me nuts because every time I have to do a feature update it requires a new version of SAP. Then, I have to go through the silly process of putting it into the configuration manager, running tests and upgrading it, and making customers reboot their machines. It should make a pass and be done with it.

We've had Symantec for many years. It's likely been 10 plus years.

We haven't been too happy with technical support, We'd like them to be more helpful and responsive.

We deploy the solution ourselves.

I don't have any insights into the pricing or licensing aspects of the product.

We were looking at Microsoft Defender Antivirus due to the fact that we were looking at switching away from Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user.

I'm a client guy, I'm not the security team that inspects the end product. My team deploys it and we have a configuration manager that makes sure it's deployed correctly. We have staging processes around Windows 10 and policies, et cetera, however, as far as inspecting it, that's not up to us. It's not our mandate. It's the security team that makes the decisions about the products we use.

While our current version is on-prem, everything's going to the cloud. If we stay with it, maybe that is something we're looking at, however, we have a lot of different security products on our machine and we have applications that our customers use. Hopefully, they're going to decide to get something that combines the five or six other apps that we have that are doing various things beyond slowing our machine down.

I'm not sure if we are on the latest version of the solution.

My main issue with the product is that I just can't stand the way they force you to upgrade the product instead of putting a simple patch on it.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Anthony Ndong
Systems Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
Centralized control and good network visibility, but more support for wireless devices is needed

• "This solution helps in that I can control quite a few computers from our central location, with ease."
  • "In the next release of this solution, I would like to see more to do with malware, encryption technology, and controlling mobile devices."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for its  antivirus capabilities   . It is an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Centralized & localized control of client machines ,  using the SEPM dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the antivirus and the protection against Ransomware/Malware/Zero day attacks and device control

What needs improvement?

I would really like some of the features that are available in Kaspersky Enterprise to be available in the client version of this solution.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see more to do with malware, encryption technology, and controlling mobile devices. I would like to be able to protect my wireless equipment at that level.

I have been using this solution for 12 years.

I've had no issues with stability in the ten years that I have been using it.

This product is being pushed the maximum, and we are using it every day.

It is stable, and once you put in the policies, it does what it is supposed to do.

From my experience, I find scaling this solution is difficult. You have to work your way around it. It takes some time getting used to the admin dashboard before you can make any changes.

We have about sixty users in the company. Two of them are administrators and the remaining are end-users.

Technical support for this solution is ok. I have no issues with them.

We did not use another solution prior to using Symantec.

From my point of view, the initial setup of this solution was pretty easy.

Only one person is required for the maintenance and to handle support assistance. Everything is done remotely. You just push the changes across the network.

I performed the deployment myself, and it takes about an hour, or perhaps two hours at most.

Considering the features, the price of this solution is average. We pay our licensing fees on a yearly basis, and everything is included in that price. Whether it is via email or phone call, they do what needs to be done.

Evaluating fortigate client antivirus and security features

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is that people should try this product.

In using this solution, I have learned a lot about our security and what needs to be done.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

BD
Manager Operations/ Information Technology at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
Is scalable but needs to integrate more with other cloud computing providers

• "It is a scalable product and is average stability-wise."
  • "The spam filter is something that you can't control, and you can't set the filter to intercept different types of emails."

What is our primary use case?

On each desktop, we have Symantic End-User Endpoint Security installed to control the use of any unauthorized software, any unauthorized files being downloaded to the workstations, and so on.

What is most valuable?

It is a scalable product and is average stability-wise.

What needs improvement?

As for improvement, it would be good to have Symantic End-User Endpoint Security integrate more with other cloud computing providers rather than being a standalone product.

The spam filter is something that you can't control, and you can't set the filter to intercept different types of emails. We certainly don't have any control over what can be adjusted in the actual filter. So, we still have a 50/50 chance of a suspect email being legitimate or not.

It would be good if they can partner with one of the other big players who provides enterprise software that includes it with the product rather than having to buy their software separately.

I've been using it for the last two years.

Stability-wise, this solution is average. Because it's not cloud-based, where it's being updated continuously, there are times when it displays something on all the workstations and disables the workstations. We then would have to call the consultant to come in and apply some updates.

It is scalable. It's being used universally by all workstations in my organization. We have 10 users.

We have not had a positive experience with technical support.

Implementation was done remotely by the provider to the actual domain server. A consultant performed the implementation.

The licensing costs are huge compared to what is normally included in the licensing with other products such as the Microsoft products that we're using. We're paying between $300 and $400 per seat.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the opportunity to have an integrated security product, go with it instead of Symantic End-User Endpoint Security.

It does what it says on the box, but there are so many other products that do the same thing but better. So, I would rate Symantic End-User Endpoint Security at seven on a scale from one to ten.

Download our free Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.