Anthony Ndong
Systems Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
Centralized control and good network visibility, but more support for wireless devices is needed

• "This solution helps in that I can control quite a few computers from our central location, with ease."
  • "In the next release of this solution, I would like to see more to do with malware, encryption technology, and controlling mobile devices."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for its  antivirus capabilities   . It is an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Centralized & localized control of client machines ,  using the SEPM dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the antivirus and the protection against Ransomware/Malware/Zero day attacks and device control

What needs improvement?

I would really like some of the features that are available in Kaspersky Enterprise to be available in the client version of this solution.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see more to do with malware, encryption technology, and controlling mobile devices. I would like to be able to protect my wireless equipment at that level.

I have been using this solution for 12 years.

I've had no issues with stability in the ten years that I have been using it.

This product is being pushed the maximum, and we are using it every day.

It is stable, and once you put in the policies, it does what it is supposed to do.

From my experience, I find scaling this solution is difficult. You have to work your way around it. It takes some time getting used to the admin dashboard before you can make any changes.

We have about sixty users in the company. Two of them are administrators and the remaining are end-users.

Technical support for this solution is ok. I have no issues with them.

We did not use another solution prior to using Symantec.

From my point of view, the initial setup of this solution was pretty easy.

Only one person is required for the maintenance and to handle support assistance. Everything is done remotely. You just push the changes across the network.

I performed the deployment myself, and it takes about an hour, or perhaps two hours at most.

Considering the features, the price of this solution is average. We pay our licensing fees on a yearly basis, and everything is included in that price. Whether it is via email or phone call, they do what needs to be done.

Evaluating fortigate client antivirus and security features

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is that people should try this product.

In using this solution, I have learned a lot about our security and what needs to be done.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Manjit Singh
Cyber Security Engineer, Team Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Regular updates, good features and support, and fair price

• "The features are very nice. We are getting updates continuously from the Symantec side regarding any attacks, such as zero-day attacks. Symantec helps us in mitigating any attacks or threats early."
  • "They provide the updates of the client, and those clients need a reboot after the upgrade, which is something we don't like. We don't like to reboot the server after the upgrade because we have live applications. If we do a reboot, it can impact the business as well."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for endpoint security and EDR and as an antivirus. We are also using it for threat detection purposes.

It is on-prem. We didn't migrate to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The features are very nice. We are getting updates continuously from the Symantec side regarding any attacks, such as zero-day attacks. Symantec helps us in mitigating any attacks or threats early.

Whenever we have any issues regarding the endpoints, Symantec is very helpful in resolving those issues.

What needs improvement?

They provide the updates of the client, and those clients need a reboot after the upgrade, which is something we don't like. We don't like to reboot the server after the upgrade because we have live applications. If we do a reboot, it can impact the business as well.

It sometimes behaves unusually. It sometimes stops our full services, and if we didn't upgrade to the better version or current version on the server, many a time, it blocks Microsoft patch upgrades.

I have been working with this solution for around four years.

It is good. We don't have to worry much about bugs. We had a bug only once where we had not allowed for automatic upgrades, but it was upgrading. From the perspective of bugs, Symantec is fine.

I would rate them an eight out of 10. Sometimes, it takes a lot of time to connect to Symantec through a call. They usually reply by email. They are also reachable on call, but it takes lots of time to connect to them by phone.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It is complex. All servers report to SEPM, then after SEPM, they report to EP. It is complex and not straightforward. We have different environments for inside, outside, and DMZ. So, for that, it is kind of complex.

Its price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution. Symantec is a traditional antivirus, and among all traditional antivirus solutions, Symantec is very good. It has good updates.

I would advise others to go for the cloud environment. The cloud environment is very good, and there are a lot of new features.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Symantec End-User Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BD
Manager Operations/ Information Technology at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
Is scalable but needs to integrate more with other cloud computing providers

• "It is a scalable product and is average stability-wise."
  • "The spam filter is something that you can't control, and you can't set the filter to intercept different types of emails."

What is our primary use case?

On each desktop, we have Symantic End-User Endpoint Security installed to control the use of any unauthorized software, any unauthorized files being downloaded to the workstations, and so on.

What is most valuable?

It is a scalable product and is average stability-wise.

What needs improvement?

As for improvement, it would be good to have Symantic End-User Endpoint Security integrate more with other cloud computing providers rather than being a standalone product.

The spam filter is something that you can't control, and you can't set the filter to intercept different types of emails. We certainly don't have any control over what can be adjusted in the actual filter. So, we still have a 50/50 chance of a suspect email being legitimate or not.

It would be good if they can partner with one of the other big players who provides enterprise software that includes it with the product rather than having to buy their software separately.

I've been using it for the last two years.

Stability-wise, this solution is average. Because it's not cloud-based, where it's being updated continuously, there are times when it displays something on all the workstations and disables the workstations. We then would have to call the consultant to come in and apply some updates.

It is scalable. It's being used universally by all workstations in my organization. We have 10 users.

We have not had a positive experience with technical support.

Implementation was done remotely by the provider to the actual domain server. A consultant performed the implementation.

The licensing costs are huge compared to what is normally included in the licensing with other products such as the Microsoft products that we're using. We're paying between $300 and $400 per seat.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the opportunity to have an integrated security product, go with it instead of Symantic End-User Endpoint Security.

It does what it says on the box, but there are so many other products that do the same thing but better. So, I would rate Symantic End-User Endpoint Security at seven on a scale from one to ten.

Mostafa
System Administrator at Suez Canal Insurance
The valuable features are device control, SONOR, and anti-virus.

• "The valuable features are device control, SONOR, and anti-virus."
  • "I would like to see improvements in the anti-virus and the device control features."

How has it helped my organization?

It helps me with the security policies that I make. I can change policies quickly and easily.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are device control, SONOR, and anti-virus.

Device control in Symantec is not limited to only some devices. You can add any device you want, so that it can become a part of the policy you made. The anti-virus feature is very good.

What needs improvement?

Anti-Virus: I would like to see Symantec improve the ant-virus to stop and detect Ransomware and email attachments. Symantec is weak with Ransomware. I would like to see the anti-spam for Outlook improve the scanning and blocking of attachments.

Device control: I would like to see an improvement in the USB control, because it sometimes creates a conflict with USB printers.

I have been using this solution since 2006.

There were no stability issues.

Customer service is very good.

I used technical support through a vendor and they were very good.

The initial setup was easy and I had no problem with it.

I evaluated other options like McAfee and Sophos, but they weren’t good enough for me.

What other advice do I have?

Symantec Endpoint Protection is designed for maximum efficiency, enabling hardware to run faster and last longer for performance, and runs on several operating systems, including Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. The complete suite is a good fit for medium-sized businesses seeking a more comprehensive range of protection.
Symantec's Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition earns high marks from AV-TEST for protection and usability. However, this antivirus software doesn't scan email, a vulnerability in today's digital age. It might be the best choice for antivirus protection for your small business but that depends on the features and functions most important for your business and your security.
just make sure thats you are always update and you have the latest release.

This is very good product. My advice is to calculate your needs. Make a decision based on an accurate assessment of the price, the licensing, and the support.

When I choose a product, I look for stability, security, and safety.

SP
Sr Manager IT at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
Lots of good features but can't be uninstalled and occasionally stops working unexpectedly

• "It's good for large organizations. It's able to handle a lot of users."
  • "The solution is very difficult to uninstall. There isn't really a way to uninstall the product at all, which is quite a headache."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our routing in our corporate office and have it installed all over that place.

What is most valuable?

The solution works very well. It has a good IP signature and network.

The product offers a lot of very useful features.

It's good for large organizations. It's able to handle a lot of users.

What needs improvement?

It's also complicated to upgrade the product. They need to make these aspects much easier.

Sometimes the solution will just randomly stop working. I'm not sure why this happens.

The licensing aspects of the solution could be improved.

I haven't used the product for about five or six months at this point, so it's hard to say which features they are missing and new items may have been added since then.

I've been using the solution for the last eight to ten years.

We've never had issues with stability. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The stability is quite good and it's very reliable.

We've been in touch with technical support and have found them to be responsive and knowledgeable. We're satisfied with their level of service.

I was involved in the original setup and implementation of the solution and I found it to be quite straightforward. It's not too complex. However, it does take a good amount of time, and it would be better if it was faster or easier.

The solution needs better licensing options.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. If the company finds that Symantec fits their requirements, they should choose it. The product offers a lot of great features.

Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten. If they had a way to easily uninstall the product and if we could figure out why it suddenly stops working occasionally, I'd rate it a bit higher.

MK
Dy General Manager at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Installation easy, stable and scalable, but integration could improve

• "I have found the solution to be very scalable, we have 700 employees using the solution in our organization."
  • "The Sandboxing and ATP functionality does not integrate very well, improving this would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as endpoint security.

What needs improvement?

The Sandboxing and ATP functionality does not integrate very well, improving this would be helpful. Additionally, having a single console that allows interaction with other security products would be great.

A lot of people have moved to their homes because of the pandemic and this has made endpoint security a crucial part of our protection against threats. Having full integration is very important for all the hardware to work together. If there is any strange network behaviour, all the hardware should work the first time to bring the security flaw forward to be actioned and solved. This only can happen if there are proper communication and integration with other hardware products.

I have been using the solution for approximately seven years.

I have been using the solution for a long while, it has been stable.

The customer service was good.

Before using this solution we used Trend Micro and McAfee. We have currently changed solutions and no longer use Symantec End-user Endpoint Security and we are back with Trend Micro.

The installation was very easy for us to manage, it was not a problem at all.

We used a partner to help us with the implementation and the full deployment took approximately one month. We currently have one administrator and a few engineers to manage the maintenance and deployment of the solution.

There are subscription costs, we typically purchase the annual subscription. There can be other expenses too, for example, we use CrowdStrike also as part of our policy.

We currently use Micro Trend because of our partnership company uses it with over 100 organizations.

What other advice do I have?

I do not recommend the solution because we are using a different one currently.

I rate Symantec End-user Endpoint Security a seven out of ten.

AB
Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, works in the background, and doesn't seem to take too many resources

• "The most valuable feature is that I don't feel that it is there. It works in the background and doesn't interfere with my daily work. All the scans are done in the background. This is the biggest advantage of this product. It works because I have never been infected since I have been using this solution. Its interface is also very good."
  • "It can maybe send notifications when there is an update and everything is successful."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for protecting myself from outside dangers. I am not using it on a daily basis. I open it very rarely. I open it only when I get an alert that I have got a suspicious file or something like that. I then go to the quarantine zone to check it.

What is most valuable?

It works because I have never been infected since I have been using this solution. Its interface is also very good.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for the entire life of our organization. It has probably been ten years.

It is completely stable. There are no issues. I don't find it slowing my laptop. I don't know if my laptop is powerful or the application doesn't take too many resources. A few years ago, the antivirus was slowing down computers and laptops, but now, I don't feel any such issue.

We have about 700 employees in our company, and a lot of them are using the same protection system.

I have an IT department that gives me technical support.

We did not use any other products in our organization. We have only been using Symantec products.

I was not involved in its installation. It was set up on the laptop before I got it from the IT department.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a stable product. I would keep on using it unless my company decides otherwise.

I would rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
Sagar Dandge
Information Technology Executive at JFE Shoji Steel India Pvt. Ltd.
Problematic technical support, but the solution is easy to use

• "The solution is easy to use"
  • "We are not satisfied with the technical support."

What needs improvement?

We are not satisfied with the technical support. Since Broadcom took over responsibility for its engagement, we have faced many issues. This is why we wish to switch to a different antivirus solution. We are currently in contact with the relevant distributors and suppliers in regards to this issue. We do not wish to encounter the same challenges that we face at present. Before switching to Sophos, we would first have to ensure that all our support-related concerns are addressed.

When an issue happens in my cell, we can log in a ticket on the Symantec or Broadcom websites. From this point, the response time is very slow. Sometimes technical support lacks a proper or firsthand knowledge of an issue and finds itself lacking in the appropriate response. We feel this to be very irritating. The customer wishes for the issue to be resolved, but tech support has shown itself to be inadequate in dealing with enterprise tech products.

We have been using Symantec End-User Endpoint Security for the last five or six years.

We are not satisfied with the technical support and find it greatly lacking.

In the past we worked with Sophos, although not with its antivirus product but with Cyberoam Firewall. We recently purchased a new Sophos firewall product, Sophos 101, which is a network firewall solution. The difference is that we did not previously have the appropriate experience with related antivirus products, but now we are in a position to analyze how best Sophos endpoint protection can meet our needs.

While the solution is easy to use, it is solely because of the support issues we raised that we plan to switch products.

When it comes to pricing, Sophos is preferable to Symantec. It provides a cloud-based dashboard which affords control and an easy centralized management system. This is of considerable benefit and explains why we have decided to go with Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

Owing to the support issues we raised, we can only rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security as a five out of ten.

Download our free Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.