Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Overview

Symantec End-User Endpoint Security is the #3 ranked solution in our list of endpoint security software. It is most often compared to Microsoft Defender Antivirus: Symantec End-User Endpoint Security vs Microsoft Defender Antivirus

What is Symantec End-User Endpoint Security?

Unmatched Endpoint Safety for Your OrganizationAs an on-premises, hybrid, or cloud-based solution, the single-agent Symantec platform protects all your traditional and mobile endpoint devices, and uses artificial intelligence (AI) to optimize security decisions.

Symantec End-User Endpoint Security is also known as Symantec EPP, Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP).

Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Customers

Audio Visual Dynamics, Red Deer Advocate, Asia Pacific Telecom Co. Ltd., Kibbutz Ein Gedi, and AMETEK, Inc.

Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Video

Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Greg Reilly
Enterprise Architect Manager at Accenture
Dec 20, 2018
Good standard malware detection via classic defs and newer heuristic controls

What is our primary use case?

Standard use case: firewall, malware, app/device control, reporting of compliance, etc. We use other features too.

How has it helped my organization?

A secure stable product, and good customer service of this product from the vendor. Waiting to see how the cloud version pans out.

What is most valuable?

Application/device control. Wish encryption detection was integrated though.  Good standard malware detection via classic defs and newer heuristic controls.

What needs improvement?

Device encryption status and coding off of said status.  Better inherent checks against duplicate IDs.

Hakan GUNAYDIN
General Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 19, 2018
The most valuable features of this solution are deployment, management and finding sources of potential viruses that hack the system.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think the CPU dependency should be enhanced. In addition, some device control features are in need of enhancements.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I find it is the most reliable solution in the market.
Learn what your peers think about Symantec End-User Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
John Cook
Director of Technology Operations at ICMA
Nov 5, 2018
It protected well enough, but an easier cloud management portal would be appreciated

What is our primary use case?

Primary endpoint protection for our office.  It was replaced with my MSP's contracted solution, but that's being replaced by our own solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It protected well enough, but we ran Malwarebytes in conjunction to help protect against zero-day exploits/malware issues that occasionally slipped through.

What is most valuable?

We were disappointed that we were stuck with its local admin server for so long when other solutions had cloud management.

What needs improvement?

An easier management portal Setting up and managing profiles was overly complex An easier cloud management portal would be appreciated.

Three to five years.
Reviewer58
Head of IT Department at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 24, 2018
It is a stable product. A good improvement would be altering the console in the console manager.

What is our primary use case?

The primary key is because it doesn't impact much in the performance of the endpoint.

• "It is a stable product."
  • "Sometimes tech support is a bit slow to find a solution."
Heritier Daya
Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 22, 2018
The most valuable feature is that the product works on Linux and Microsoft Windows.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this is protecting the end user against cyber attacks. It is a simple product that is easily implemented on all of our hosts and servers. It is especially helpful on our exchange server.

• "It seems that its not working very well with VMWare."
    Reviewer8093
    Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Oct 11, 2018
    We never expect downtime. There is also great ease of use for my admins.

What is our primary use case?

It's a good proxy to control the user's access to the website.

What is most valuable?

We never expect downtime. There is also great ease of use for my admins.

We have no issues with the scalability of the product.

It's amazing. They have the local support team always here, and they also have the international level team.

I'm based out in Dubai, so we purchase these products through channel partners. There are a certain level of channel partners, like platinum or gold or silver.

Nuno Martins
    Partner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
    Jul 31, 2018
    The centralized console is great for us because it manages all of the endpoints

• "The centralized console is great for us. It gives us one centralized console to manage all of the endpoints."
    • "It would be nice to be able to manage the endpoints a bit further. A valuable attribute would be the management of software inventory, software deployment, and third-party software deployment. I would like to see the ability to deploy and delete unlicensed software. Many users try to install what they shouldn't, so that would be really useful."

What other advice do I have?

If someone else is researching this type of solution, I would say go for it and try this solution because overall, it is one of the best, if not the best product on the market. It's really great, especially for mid-sized companies. It really cuts down the management. I would rate this solution a nine because of the support and the quality of the product.
    LeadSysEn375629
    Lead System Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jun 14, 2018
    It's customizable, we're able to tune it to work with our products

What is our primary use case?

Primary usage is on endpoints, desktops, clients, and servers, and it's working okay.

• "It's customizable, we're able to tune it to work with our products."
    • "I would like to see even more customization, the possibility to do whitelisting. It needs to be a little bit more liberal on whitelisting, even to use the name if needed, instead of hashes."
    • "When, Microsoft releases a new OS version twice a year, you never know if the current version of Symantec Endpoint Protection will support it. You can have a lag between when Microsoft releases a new client - and then the current version doesn't work correctly - and it could be some months between updates from Symantec."

What other advice do I have?

My most important criterion when selecting a vendor is that they are easy to work with. I rate it at eight out of 10. When, say, Microsoft releases a new OS version twice a year, you never know if the current version of Symantec Endpoint Protection will support it. You can have a lag between when Microsoft releases a new client - and then the current version doesn't work correctly - and it could be some months between updates from Symantec. Overall, it's really good product. It has saved us a lot of time and, most of the time, it's a self-playing piano.
    Johnny Hadchity
    IT System and Storage Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Jun 11, 2018
    A stable antivirus product used for security and protection

What is our primary use case?

I use it as an antivirus.

How has it helped my organization?

For protection use only.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see fileless attack protection. Also, the version could be lighter.

Three to five years.

It is stable.

No scalability issues.

We have not used it.

We switched to a new solution because we wanted more security and protection features.

The initial setup is straightforward. Though, make sure to check the system requirements before…
    Lynne Caputi
    Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    May 15, 2018
    Needs better detection and response, better malware remediation; it catches basic things

What is our primary use case?

Endpoint protection. The performance has been adequate, not great.

• "The biggest thing I would like to see is malware remediation, if there is some kind of outbreak. We'd like to see better remediation and better detection and response. It's pretty good at capturing things, but it doesn't stop everything, so better machine learning would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Symantec's solution a six out of 10. It's not as feature-rich with next-generation technology, as a lot of its competitors are. My advice would be, look at something else. Don't look at Symantec. Look for something that has a more holistic approach.
      it_user200313
      Security Consultant at Accenture
      Apr 6, 2018
      Deployment is smooth and easy

What is our primary use case?

For now it is used for virus and malware protection, we are still working on other features. We have deployed it for workstation and servers.

• "Managing SEP is very easy, and also troubleshooting part is easily managed."
      • "They should work on making the virus definition file lighter."
      it_user805959
      ‎Technology Leader at risetechno
      Mar 25, 2018
      Helps to protect our organization from known attacks

What is our primary use case?

Helps to protect our organization from known attacks.  Blocks malicious files, which are not generally repelled well.

What needs improvement?

Administration Orchestration for broken clients fixes Healing of agents

Cameron Mottus
      Principal Consultant - Security at Insentra
      Mar 14, 2018
      You can deploy it to Windows, Mac, and Linux with one console to cover all three

What is our primary use case?

I'm an IT consultant, so I implement Symantec Endpoint Protection for customers, from SMB up to large enterprises and federal government.

• "I think the key thing for me, is interoperability, in that you can deploy it to Windows, Mac, and Linux. That's been a really important feature in the last two years. Now there's one management console to cover all three OSs."
      • "They're just starting to get into this now, but I think they can do better - they're just starting out with I think is called the SEP Cloud Console. It has more limited functionality. It will be good once we can run SEP from the cloud. That would be good."
      • "The support can be wanting. Sometimes the time to resolution is longer than I would expect."

What other advice do I have?

Get competent consultants to do the implementation, because it can be complex. You have to have a consultant who is knowledgeable, to make sure they cover off all the bases, to make sure all the infrastructure is protected. It saves time, in that a professional can get it done more quickly. And, it gets done correctly, so you don't have to do re-work. I've been in circumstances where the customers try to do the implementation themselves and then they bring us in after the fact, and we have to either redo what they've done or rebuild the infrastructure from scratch. That just doubles the cost…
      it_user819690
      IT Systemadministrator at a construction company
      Mar 1, 2018

What is our primary use case?

Antivirus solution for a global company with approximately 34,000 endpoints.

• "SEP, the entire suite of components, provides good endpoint protection."
      • "The IPS function (with no firewall needed to be installed in the SEP client) is quite good."
      • "Symantec ATP provides quite a good overview of how threats have spread within the company."
      • "SONAR could be improved. The false/positive rate is a little high."
      • "I find the documentation on Symantec.com to be not very updated. It seems like Symantec focuses more on their product than on documentation."
      • "My personal opinion is that Symantec has too many WS.Reputation.1 detections, which could cause important computers to malfunction."
      it_user814116
      Feb 26, 2018
      ATP with EDR is a great solution for a company like mine

What is our primary use case?

Endpoint Protection and Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) with Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR). One of the best solutions that I have ever tried.

How has it helped my organization?

Great solution for a company like mine.  I like Symantec Endpoint Solution quite a lot. I hope it continues improving over time.

What is most valuable?

ATP is really impressive, and with EDR, it is the best solution I have ever known.

What needs improvement?

Resources Front-end User experience The Symantec Endpoint Manager is very difficult to use and extremely old.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

Very well done, Symantec.
      Laeeq Ahmed
      IT Security Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Leaderboard
      Dec 3, 2017
      Provides endpoint security for all client machines protecting them from malware or ransom attacks

What is our primary use case?

SEPM is a product for anti-virus security. It provides endpoint security for all client machines. It protects the client machines from malware or ransom attacks.

• "Scalability."
      • "We were having a problem in Version 14, where the client machines used to go into the health state and once it restarted, and never came back again."

What other advice do I have?

If you have a good involvement and maybe your clients are not connected to a domain, you can use this product. This is one advantage of this product, where you can use the product for protecting your machines. You need to keep track of the definitions and releases on a daily basis. This is one of the disadvantages.
      it_user765246
      Senior Consultant - Infrastrute at a tech services company
      Nov 14, 2017
      GUPs are valuable when throttling new updates through a slower WAN​, though we have had random issues with the apps

What is most valuable?

Central management Group update points (GUPs): They are valuable when throttling new updates through a slower WAN.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced burden of responding to alerts. Granular security lets lower level techs triage issues as they come in.

What needs improvement?

Reporting without Altiris should be improved.  More cloud-based functionality, but that seems happening going forward.  It should have hypervisor level AV protection for VMs, so you do not need a client on the systems.

Five years supporting it.

Random issues with the apps. The built in firewall is tricky sometimes to get an app working in it.

What do I think about the

Pablo Dewes
      Senior Technical Consultant (SE and Strategic Project Manager) - Email Fraud Protection - LATAM at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
      Nov 6, 2017
      Detects and prevents attacks that are exploring common software vulnerabilities.

• "Can detect and prevent attacks that are exploring common software vulnerabilities."
      • "It would be nice to have customized reports integrated on the main console with no additional DB server or BI server."

What other advice do I have?

Always try to include hours for the project in the budget. Always look for a specialized reseller who the vendor recognizes through a certified and approved reseller.
      Sudeep Amalkar
      Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Nov 1, 2017
      It has made our client's network more secure and simple

What other advice do I have?

Just go through the implementation guide or some YouTube videos and the IT team can do it.
      it_user760161
      Consultant with 51-200 employees
      Oct 30, 2017
      Single-agent installation with wireless protection, application control, antivirus control and faster scans

• "It's a single-agent installation with many features including wireless protection."
      • "There was an administrative feature, which was available in the previous version, which has been removed. We would like that feature to be added again."

What other advice do I have?

One piece of advice I can give is, because in some environments it could behave properly, and in some environments it may not behave, you need to test it first, and then purchase. I think that this product is very user-friendly. It has many technologies which can be easily accessed and available. There are many features. And there is a complete knowledge base article which is published to the public, so everyone has access to it.
      it_user294141
      Information Security Manager at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Aug 30, 2017
      Very easy to learn and excellent intrusion prevention features

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to choose this product because it is very easy to deploy, has a performant host IPS and antivirus engine, and it provides a key source for security metrics.
      davidstrom
      Owner at David Strom Inc.
      Writer
      ExpertTop 10
      Aug 16, 2017
      All-in-one endpoint security

What is most valuable?

This handles not just anti-virus, but a wide collection of other protective features including device and application control, network-based intrusions, and phishing attacks. It can also scan virtual machines too.

What needs improvement?

The reputation system relies on having a constant Internet connection for its operations.

What other advice do I have?

There are three versions, include a cloud-based one, that are very flexible and easy to install and manage.
      it_user377553
      IT Security Engineer at Biztronz
      Jul 18, 2017
      All the features are valuable

What is most valuable?

All the features are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Not applicable.

What needs improvement?

Administration, agent stability, and health.

I've used this solution for three years.

The client agent is not stable. I have to keep fixing it on four to five percent.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is average.

We evaluated Sophos Endpoint Security and Control. We switched due to the scalability and feature set.

The installation was…
      it_user635907
      Jul 18, 2017
      ​I've used the solution for 15 years

What is most valuable?

Detection in real time, because it's really good.

What needs improvement?

Machine Learning Reports Linux updates

I've used the solution for 15 years.

Excellent.

Straightforward.

Not applicable.

Yes, Kaspersky Enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

Implementation and configuration with cloud services.
      it_user701514
      Responsable de Infraestructura at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
      Jul 16, 2017
      Useful against the day-to-day viruses and security threats

What other advice do I have?

Read the best practice guidelines so as to configure/tune up your environment nice and easy.
      it_user693255
      Information Security Manager at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
      Jun 29, 2017
      It has excellent intrusion prevention features. It has an intuitive management GUI.

What other advice do I have?

I would advice choosing this product because it is very easy to deploy, has a performance host IPS and antivirus engine, and it provides a key source for security metrics.
      it_user676365
      Senior Security Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Jun 13, 2017
      I like the intrusion prevention and sonar features. The deployment mechanism needs work.

• "I like the intrusion prevention and Sonar features."
      • "Multi-domain policy options for exceptions and global blocks."

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. Symantec is a promising vendor and indeed a market leader in various technologies.
      it_user676353
      Systems Project Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 9, 2017
      Uses both SONAR and IPS to help protect the system.

• "No maintenance is required after a successful installation phase."
      • "The management of the server is a bit complex."

What other advice do I have?

Before installation, take your time to plan how you will manage your environment. If you already have another AV, please first check if SEP can auto-uninstall the old AV.
      Aimee White
      Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
      ExpertTop 5
      Apr 12, 2017
      Problem free and effective AV
      It is unacceptable for an organisation to be without some form of Anti-virus protection. Symantec Endpoint Protection was a product we picked because we were coming off of Sophos as the charity discount expired. Charities tend to shop around for AV yearly to take advantage of discounts to standard pricing.Whilst this means install costs (time and/or money) it means we get to experience a lot of products and vendors. Now, that is a good and bad thing. We had some teething problems on install. It wasn't the product at fault per se but the IT Company who installed a 2011 version instead of the current 2013 version. This resulted in multiple BSOD for our W7 users. I used Symantec support and logged an online ticket. Literally, within 10mins I had a call from a Symantec support engineer. I…
      it_user381717
      Information Security Senior Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
      Feb 9, 2016
      It's made the work environment more secure, and reduced the number of malicious malware attacks.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure the connectivity between the server/agents.
      it_user8664
      Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
      Aug 15, 2013
      Symantec Endpoint Protection and VDI
      A few months ago we started getting storage latency alarms coming from vCenter. This would happen every day around 6am, and as we scaled our production environment this became worse and worse. I think the record latency was 19,000ms (no joke…. 19 seconds of storage latency). Now one would immediately think, “Well that’s what you get for using scheduled scanning”…. Hold your horses partner, this has nothing to do with scanning. We soon learned that SEPM was pushing virus definition updates to our linked clones all at the same time. Obviously, the disk could not keep up with the demand. Many could argue that we should be looking at vShield with TrendMicro. However, when you’re part of an organization with 70,000+ endpoints (non-VDI), changing your antivirus vendor is not a decision you…
      it_user1020
      Head of Data Center at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Nov 23, 2012
      Symantec Anti-virus is a good AV solution. However, just make sure your computer has ample memory as it tends to consume more resources compared to other AV products out there.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a fan though of Norton before (I am) and would like to get it's latest incarnation, then this product is for loyal followers like you. Just make sure that your system can handle the extra resources required for this application.
      it_user2721
      IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Nov 15, 2012
      Symantec Endpoint Protection is the most popular, easy to use and high performance security software.

What other advice do I have?

This is the most comprehensive centrally managed endpoint security solution for businesses. It includes a host-based intrusion protection system (HIPS), device control, anti-malware, a network IPS, and a software firewall. Client policy is almost infinitely tweak-able from a central console—practical for large enterprises but a bit of overkill for the average small business.
      it_user2628
      Network Engineer at a university with 51-200 employees
      Oct 28, 2012
      Symantec EndPoint - Provides Great Level Of Security

What other advice do I have?

It is a powerful antivirus of both physical and virtual environments. It is one of the best antivirus packages.
      it_user1266
      Network Manager at a local government with 51-200 employees
      Jul 23, 2012
      Horrible antivirus. Slows down clients. Management console isn't very useful.

What other advice do I have?

Use this if you need to keep yourself busy by running around fixing viruses. Right now I am using a combination of Immunet and Vipre antivirus. Much cheaper and easier to use.
      Download our free Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.