Symantec Identity Governance and Administration OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top User Provisioning Software. It is most often compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: Symantec Identity Governance and Administration vs SailPoint IdentityIQ

What is Symantec Identity Governance and Administration?

The Symantec Identity Governance and Administration (formerly CA Identity Suite) provides comprehensive identity management and governance capabilities with a simple, intuitive user experience. This user experience can dramatically simplify processes such as user access requests and access certifications, resulting in improved productivity and user satisfaction. In addition, the Symantec Identity Governance and Administration performs risk analysis and certification and enables remediation actions in real-time during the access provisioning steps, thereby improving audit performance and risk posture with preventive policy enforcement.

While providing these business and governance-centric capabilities for business users, the Symantec Identity Governance and Administration also delivers core enterprise-grade identity management and governance capabilities, including broad provisioning support for on-premise and cloud apps, extensibility and flexibility to integrate with other IT systems and consumer-grade scale. This means organizations are not forced to choose between usability and performance. With the Symantec Identity Governance and Administration, they can have both.

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is also known as CA Identity Suite, Symantec IGA, Layer7 Identity Suite, CA Identity Manager (CA IDM), CA Identity Minder, CA IAM, CA Identity Manager (CA IDM), CA Identity Governance.

Download the Identity Management (IM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Customers

Acciona, Core Blox, DBS

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Identity Governance and Administration pricing:
  • "I do not recall the approximate prices or licensing models, although I do so that it was priced per user number."

MostafaBasha
Operation Risk Senior Manager/CRO at I-SCORE
Offers out-of-the-box connectors that have a lot of opportunities for configuration

What is our primary use case?

The primary use we have for this product is dividing access into streams. We have to provide the client organization with group and directory structures. The technical part, or provisioning, always seems to be more of a problem because the client companies have some semi-manual processes that depend on human interaction. This is often for something like disabling users, creating new users or changing roles. Of course, provisioning takes a lot of time because it involves accurately defining and managing privileges. It includes accounting for all the access types from temporary access to agile… more »

• "Out-of-the-box the product has a lot of opportunity for configuration and sophisticated identity management capability."
  • "Although the capabilities are there, the user interface needs to be redesigned and the opportunities for integration should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others who are looking to implementing this product would be to define exactly what you need before the implementation of the solution. This is a key factor. If you need to change the deployment after it is deployed — such as the policies or structure — it is not a matter of just changing the configuration. It is more like you are starting from the beginning. If you have questions related to what needs to be addressed they need to be answered first. The way we deploy this is as a black box appliance. So it would be defined once. Even the IP cannot be changed. To make…
PD
Delivery consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to scale, but lacks an up-to-date interface or knowledgeable support staff

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for general life cycle management, account provisioning and six petition processes, the regular IGA stuff.

• "The solution is easy to scale."
  • "The solution is not the best or the fastest available."

What other advice do I have?

I am not certain of the number of users who are making use of the solution in our organization, although I believe there to be four or five when it comes to my European colleagues. Globally, there are probably more. I would recommend this solution to others, since it gets the job done. While it may not be the best or the fastest solution, it is a work machine, so it is good enough. I rate Symantec Identity Governance and Administration as a seven out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, SailPoint, ForgeRock and others in Identity Management (IM). Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alfredo Silva
Experience Design Lead and Strategist at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Combines simplicity with enhanced security, but offers weak integration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We provide technical expertise for some of our clients. I've worked with thousands of clients. I work with both small clients (1,000 users) and large clients (100,000 users). Our clients use this solution every day. With people constantly being hired and fired, user access is always being granted to new employees and taken from old employees. We use this solution to decipher and determine user access. Our clients collect information surrounding the access that many of their users have. Different users are granted different access and rights. We have a process that monitors and plans user… more »

• "It's a very useful tool that has improved our client's security, from day one."
  • "Integration capabilities with other solutions and formats, including JSON, could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but only for small to medium-sized companies. It doesn't perform that well for large companies. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Symantec Identity Governance and Administration a rating of seven.
Umair Akhlaque
Enterprise Solutions & Services Head at Duroob Technologies
An extremely customizable solution that’s very stable and easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

We have three primary uses for the solution. We use it to centralize accounts and directories. We also use it for new registration of our new employees and for users to self-reset password.

• "There are many valuable features within the solution. The product is easy to customize. It’s also highly secure."
  • "The directory has room for improvement. Also, the dashboards and, in particular, the KPI dashboard that shows the current user’s information needs reworking."

What other advice do I have?

For an organization looking for an identity management suite, it’s the kind of tool you can invest in the long term. For those considering implementing the solution, I would recommend finding the right partners who have the right implementation experience to assist. There is no doubt this product has capabilities. The important thing is to find someone who understands the business requirements. It’s really important because statistically, 70% of identity management projects fail. Most of the time the product has the capabilities but the consultant doesn’t have the ability to customize the…
DarwinSolano
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable and scalable solution with useful features such as self-registration, self-service password management, and role modeling

What is our primary use case?

We offer solutions to financial and government institutions. Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is a part of our security solutions. We use it to create users and assign them privileges.

• "Self-registration and self-service password management are valuable features. The role modeling feature is also very useful. It allows you to model your enterprise role."
  • "They provide a framework to develop your own connectors. A connector is a piece of software that integrates with the solutions that are not a part of the support matrix. Currently, it is difficult to create these connectors in this solution. Other solutions, such as NetIQ Identity, provide a better way to create your own connector. Currently, there is no cloud version. It should have a cloud version."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a great solution. I like this solution, and that's why I have been using it for seven years. I would advise others to do proper role modeling before implementing this solution. Role modeling is really important for any identity management solution. I would rate Symantec Identity Governance and Administration a nine out of ten.
WA
Technical Support Manager at Future systems
Enables us to manage identities and environment controllers in order to make it more unified and standard

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for managing identities and environment controllers in order to make it more unified and standard.

• "I like that it is easy to diagnose. It has a version of a virtual appliance so we can download it, run it, configure it, and it would take about 10 to 15 minutes to configure the cluster or so."
  • "They should easier and better integration with other software."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. To make it a ten, it should have more remote capabilities. There should be better partnerships with remoting tools. They need more remote partners and better dashboards.
FM
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Has good technical support but the setup and patching are complex

What is our primary use case?

We use the private cloud deployment model of this solution.

• "Word mining and risk campaigns are the most valuable features of this solution."
  • "In the next release, there should be provisioning of your certifications."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone implementing this solution is to take a few days to plan with professional services for the setup. I would rate it between a six and seven out of ten. Not a ten because of the complex setup and because we had some issues applying some patches.
Download our free Identity Management (IM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, SailPoint, ForgeRock, and more!