Symantec Messaging Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Messaging Gateway is #9 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. IT Central Station users give Symantec Messaging Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. Symantec Messaging Gateway is most commonly compared to Microsoft Exchange Online Protection:Symantec Messaging Gateway vs Microsoft Exchange Online Protection. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Symantec Messaging Gateway?

Symantec’s on-premises email security solution begins with Messaging Gateway which provides essential inbound and outbound messaging security including, powerful protection against the latest messaging threats including ransomware, spear phishing, and business email compromise, It catches more than
99 percent of spam with a less than 1 in 1 million false positives, and effectively responds to new messaging threats with real-time automatic antispam and antimalware updates. Messaging Gateway combines multilayer protection technologies that effectively detect, block, and quarantine suspicious email

Symantec Messaging Gateway is also known as Symantec.cloud, Symantec Email Security.cloud .

Symantec Messaging Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Messaging Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Symantec Messaging Gateway Customers

Doric, Joblink Plus, Our Lady of Mercy College, Parramatta, PPB Advisory, Slater & Gordon Lawyers, Sydney Adventist Hospital Ltd.

Symantec Messaging Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Messaging Gateway pricing:
  • "A subscription for technical support costs extra."
  • "The cost of Symantec Messaging Gateway is too expensive in general. However, the appliance also includes the price of the license in the same bundle."
  • "It's a bit expensive compared to its competitor Barracuda Email Security Gateway but cheaper than Sophos Email."

Symantec Messaging Gateway Reviews

SurajNair
Information Technology/ Cyber Security and Data Privacy Consultant at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
MSP
Good fingerprinting and keyword rules, but it needs to better support unstructured data discovery

• "The feature that I like the best is the fingerprinting concept."
  • "It will provide Excel reports and PDF reports, but it would be great if they supported the concept of Crystal Reports."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company and this is one of the solutions that we have implemented for our clients.

One of our clients is in the automobile industry and we implemented the entire suite that consisted of email security, network traffic security, and end-user security including the setting of permissions and restrictions. We were managing then entire security landscape for more than 100,000 users.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I like the best is the fingerprinting concept.

The keyword rules and mapping of the sequence rules are very effective and very good.

What needs improvement?

In the automobile industry, they have a research and development department where they create a lot of designs for new models. In order to maintain the confidentiality of those designs, we tried to use OCR technology. However, it was not very effective with Symantec. If this solution could manage image control restrictions for OCR-captured images then it would be very helpful.

This solution is not very efficient at discovering unstructured data, which is something that needs to be improved. Unstructured data discovery is something that is being focused on in many areas including the automobile industry, finance, banking, and elsewhere. Both Symantec and McAfee failed in this regard. When the data is structured, Symantec was very efficient because we used to get the data from the business stakeholders and the data could be scanned to map the information. Where it is not available, as is the case with unstructured data, this product fails miserably.

This solution provides good information, but the reporting is not very efficient and needs to be improved. It will provide Excel reports and PDF reports, but it would be great if they supported the concept of Crystal Reports. Alternatively, if they had a dashboard or could showcase reports on a monthly basis or a quarterly basis, it would be very good. In short, we would like a more enhanced reporting capability.

This solution should provide functionality for the classification of email. It should be automated, with a bit of manual intervention. Specifically, before a user can send an email, the solution should make sure that the classification has been set, otherwise, it should not leave the intranet. It will force the users to classify the information and only then will the email be authorized to go through the network.

I have been using Symantec Email Security.cloud for almost two years.

This product is very stable.

It was easy to scale in both Windows and Linux environments. We did not try Mac devices, but for us, scalability was good.

We have reached out to technical support for a couple of issues, such as when we were trying to implement OCR technology. They did give us solutions, but unfortunately, they were not very effective.

With respect to the inbuilt capabilities, the support is pretty good. However, when trying something new, as expected we encountered some initial failures and they were not able to assist us with these.

We did not use other messaging security software prior to this solution.

It was easy to set up the entire security suite. There were no constraints, which made it an easy installation for us.

The deployment was completed in two phases. We first had a week-long trial run on a small LAN segment to see how efficiently it would work. Once the trial run was successfully completed, it took two weeks for full implementation across the network.

Initially, we sought support from a consultant because we had the entire Symantec security suite, and we were not well versed enough in DLP technology. We needed someone with a certain level of assurance in order to implement the complete solution, which included email security.

We evaluated McAfee and it was also unable to rectify the problem with OCR images.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution, but ultimately I would like to see OCR capabilities, mail classification, and unstructured data discovery. If Symantec could incorporate all of this in the DLP solution then I believe it would be the leading product in the DLP market.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Alex Wu
Sr. IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Simple to use, great at blocking spam and easy to set up

• "The setup is pretty simple."
  • "In a later release, it would be nice if the messaging gateway supported the cluster feature."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it as an email gateway for security. We use it for blocking spam.

How has it helped my organization?

Protect us form spam & virus emails' attack.

What is most valuable?

The solution overall is quite good.

The solution is a leader in anti-spam email products.

The performance is great. You can block 99% of spam emails. It's very effective.

The solution runs quite well.

The setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

The issue with the solution has more to do with China than the product itself. Since it was purchased by Broadcomm, we've found there's been a general slide in terms of the local services we have access to and we are considering replacing them.

In a later release, it would be nice if the messaging gateway supported the cluster feature. We'd really like clustering as an option.

If you have installed the two messaging gateways, you cannot use the high-availability features of the two products. There needs to be higher availability. Other products provide a cluster feature, however, Symantec for the most part does not offer this.

I've been using the solution for about ten years now. It's been a decade.

The solution is very stable. We don't have issues with glitches and there aren't really any bugs. I've never experienced it crash or fail. It's reliable.

We haven't needed to scale it, so I can't speak to the solution's level of scalability. It's not something we've attempted to do.

We have about 80 people in our organization using the product.

I haven't opened a ticket from the technical support for a long time. We haven't really needed the support from assistance, to be honest. I can't really speak to their level of service at this time.

It was ten years ago, and I was at a different organization, however, I do recall that we used Fortigate at that time.

I also currently use Symantec's Mail Security for Exchange. I use that for my emails alongside the Messaging Gateway.

The initial setup isn't complex. It's quite straightforward. I find it quite simple, as I have a decade of experience using it under my belt.

Deployment to my virtual machine only took about 30 minutes.

I hand over the maintenance to another team.

I handled the deployment myself. I have a wealth of experience with the product. I don't feed outside help from consultants or integrators.

If you would like to enable Symantec's Content Encryption, it's considered an extra feature. You need to buy it separately. I personally just have the anti-spam, antivirus and Premium Content Controller. These features are at no additional cost. New users just need to be aware that certain premium features will need to be purchased.

What other advice do I have?

We're just an end-user and customer. We don't have a special business relationship with the company.

I have the solution running on my virtual machine.

The solution is a really good product as far as email security is concerned.

I'd recommend the solution.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Symantec Messaging Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RS
Senior System Administrator at Pulsar Knowledge Centre Pvt. Ltd.
Good encryption, excellent at blocking spam, and easy to set up

• "The solution is excellent at blocking spam."
  • "They have updated the version of the Messaging Gateway and the new features they are adding the need to be re-evaluated. They have done some changes on the policy."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to encrypt outgoing emails to the recipient. That is why I bought the solution from Symantec Messaging Gateway.

What is most valuable?

The encryption screen messages are very good. No one can hack the emails.

The solution is excellent at blocking spam.

What needs improvement?

Recently, I've had some problems regarding their support. The tech was acquired by Broadcom. Since then, the support part is very bad right. They really need to improve this aspect.

They have updated the version of the Messaging Gateway and the new features they are adding the need to be re-evaluated. They have done some changes on the policy.

We've been using the solution for two years.

I've noticed lately that the solution can be buggy.

I have observed a few updates that have bugs. Right now, the solution is not updated due to some bugs that are coming from the updates. Currently, the company will not pay for the box from the software. That's why virtual appliances are not updating.

We've been in touch with technical support and we find that, since the Broadcom takeover, the support is lacking. They're very bad and not helpful at all. We've found that the support team is not able to provide full service to us any longer. When they were just Symantec, before the acquisition, they were quite good.

I also use McAfee, however, McAfee not working at 100%. Symantec has gone back to 99.9%. Everyone says "our product is at 100%", however, it is not possible. That's due to the fact that everyday hackers are busy finding new ways to breach security.

I like both solutions. I've used them both for the last few years.

The initial setup is pretty straight forward, however, you need to get the policies right. That part is complex. You need some guidance from support teams, or you need to read some articles or admin guides that can be found on Google.

Deployment took about 30 minutes.

I handle the maintenance on my own. It doesn't require a lot of personnel to manage it.

We used an integrator to assist us with the implementation. They were very helpful and we were satisfied with their level of knowledge.

What other advice do I have?

We're Symantec customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

The deployment of the solution is just virtual. We have acquired virtual appliances and we have projects ongoing on the machines.

The product itself is quite good, however, Broadcom needs to step up its support.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Girish Vijay
Deputy Manager IT at Carl Bechem Lubricants India Pvt Ltd
User-friendly, easy to set up, and the malware database is extensive

• "The cloud-based interface is very user-friendly."
  • "This product would benefit from better integration with Symantec Endpoint Protection."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the protection of email. We are linked to Microsoft Office 365 and all of our emails, inbound or outbound, are processed through Symantec.

What is most valuable?

The main thing that I appreciate about this product is that the database of spam, malware, and ransomware is very large. The database capabilities are top-notch.

The level of operation is very good.

The cloud-based interface is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

This product would benefit from better integration with Symantec Endpoint Protection. As it is now, these tools work independently and they do not synchronize between themselves. For this reason, the security benefits go down slightly. When things such as email, spam filters, and endpoint protection are synchronized, the security is enhanced.

I have been using the Symantec Messaging Gateway for about one and a half years.

This is a stable product. We receive thousands of emails on a daily basis and it is responsible for filtering those both incoming and outgoing.

Scaling usage is very easy to do. We have 150 users in the company.

The technical support is good and we have no issues with them. There is an additional charge for support but we are satisfied with it, and everything comes with a cost at the end of the day.

This is the only email security product that we have used.

The initial setup is a very easy process. It is step-by-step and not complicated at all. It takes about half an hour to deploy.

Once installed, it is automatically updated so we are always using the latest version.

Our in-house team was responsible for deployment.

A subscription for technical support costs extra.

We continuously compare the performance of this product to others, such as a similar solution by Barracuda Systems. The Symantec solution really stands out in terms of how people rate it.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend using the Symantec Messaging Gateway.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

JM
IT Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
A stable on-premise email security solution that's easy to manage, but support could be better

• "I like that it's simple and easy to configure, deploy, and manage. The reporting function has all the features we're looking for, and we are fine with that."
  • "What's lacking when you compare it with Proofpoint and other threat protection solutions is that it does the basic stuff, but we need more advanced threat handling."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a perimeter gateway where it scans for spam. We use all the features and configure all the features, like malware and content filtering. But most of the requests come for content filtering, where we need filters based on some specific words or subjects or based on the reports that come from government agencies.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us by protecting us from spam, and it also checks for viruses.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's simple and easy to configure, deploy, and manage. The reporting function has all the features we're looking for, and we are fine with that.

What needs improvement?

Support could be better. What's also lacking when you compare it with Proofpoint and other threat protection solutions is that it does the basic stuff, but we need more advanced threat handling.

I have been dealing with Symantec Messaging Gateway for about seven or eight years.

We have used it for many years, and I never faced any issues. Even if it crashes, let's say the VM itself rebooted or something, then it does Linux basic things and it comes back online.

We have a couple of nodes extended at the moment, and so far, we haven't had any issues with configuration, replication, or when the firmware is updated. It works fine.

Technical support was good before they moved to Broadcom. After it went to Broadcom, the support quality degraded.

It was deployed before I started working on it, but I feel like it was easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would tell potential users that it's simple and easy to configure, deploy, and manage.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Symantec Messaging Gateway a seven.

Pedro Chidumo
Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is easy to install and is stable and scalable

• "Symantec Messaging Gateway is stable and scalable. Installation is easy, and the deployment and maintenance can be done by one administrative person."
  • "It is a nice product but is not user friendly in terms of the graphical interface. It is poor and is not rich in terms of the human interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for content filtering and malware protection.

What is most valuable?

Symantec Messaging Gateway is stable and scalable.

Installation is easy, and the deployment and maintenance can be done by one administrative person.

What needs improvement?

It is a nice product but is not user friendly in terms of the graphical interface. It is poor and is not rich in terms of the human interface.

We have been using it for a month.

It is stable because we use a physical appliance.

The scalability depends on how much you are willing to pay. You always have to pay if you have to scale the product or increase the number of machines. We have about 1,000 fixed users for Symantec Messaging Gateway.

Installation is easy, but we needed some configurations, so it took a week.

For the deployment and maintenance, we have one administrative person.

We implemented it ourselves using remote assistance from our supplier.

The cost of Symantec Messaging Gateway is too expensive in general. However, the appliance also includes the price of the license in the same bundle.

What other advice do I have?

I haven't been using it for very long, and in my short experience, it has been a good product. I would rate it at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Farrukh Dawoodani
Technical Consultant & Programme Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Solid and stable product, great support, highly scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for its advanced virus protection, phishing and other features.

I have been using the solution for 1 year now.

It is a solid and stable product.

It is a scalable product. We have deployed it for organizations with 200-5000 users.

The support is really great.

I have used Sophos Email other than Symantec Messaging Gateway.

The setup is pretty much straight forward.

We did the deployment of the product…

What is our primary use case?

I have been using the solution for 1 year now.

It is a solid and stable product.

The support is really great.

I have used Sophos Email other than Symantec Messaging Gateway.

The setup is pretty much straight forward.

We did the deployment of the product ourselves and it was a quick one.

Sometimes the solution picks up false positive for viruses during scans.

It's a bit expensive but they have licensing models to meet customer needs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product.

I rate Symantec Messaging Gateway an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Categories
Email Security
Download our free Symantec Messaging Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.