Symantec Proxy OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Proxy is #5 ranked solution in top WAN Optimization tools and #15 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. IT Central Station users give Symantec Proxy an average rating of 8 out of 10. Symantec Proxy is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiProxy:Symantec Proxy vs Fortinet FortiProxy. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Symantec Proxy?

A Symantec secure web-filtering proxy empowers you to: Control web and cloud usage with fast app performance. Establish negative-day threat defenses. Implement multi-authentication realm support. Gain visibility into encrypted web traffic.

Symantec Proxy is also known as Blue Coat Encrypted Traffic Management, ProxySG Appliance .

Download the WAN Optimization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Symantec Proxy Customers

Jefferies

Symantec Proxy Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Proxy pricing:
  • "It's expensive. Clients often go to other products."
  • "In terms of cost, it is expensive. Its pricing has been a challenge for us since its acquisition by Broadcom."
  • "The price is too expensive compared with that of another solution."
  • "Licensing is based on a subscription."

Symantec Proxy Reviews

Samer Hamadeh
Senior Information Security Engineer at FNS
Stable, with good caching for better performance and web isolation

• "The most valuable feature is the caching."
  • "There are performance issues with all of the proxies."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and we implement this solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the caching. It's very important for the performance and the web isolation.

What needs improvement?

There are performance issues with all of the proxies. In the middle of the project, it will cause some delay. It will disconnect the internet connection. Many clients have complained about it.

We are usually using the latest version. When on-site, we always update to the latest version.

It's a stable solution. It's better than the others.

It's not easy to scale this solution. You need to change the model if you want to scale unless you are using the cloud. Everything in the cloud is easy.

It is difficult to scale an on-premises deployment because you need to change the device.

The initial setup is not easy, you need experience. It's not like other products that are straightforward, this one has an advanced population.

It can take three to four days to deploy, but it depends on the site and the customer's requirements.

It's expensive. Clients often go to other products.

What other advice do I have?

For the future, when sizing, do it for the next five years if it is on-premises so that you won't have to change the device.

You will also need the redundancy backup device, this is very important.

It's a good product.

I would rate Symantec Proxy an eight out of ten.

BG
Information Technology Sub-Sector at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
The content that we are getting is very good, but activating the SSL inspection is not easy

• "The content that we are getting is very good. Content caching is also supported."
  • "Activating the SSL inspection is one of the challenges. We are currently moving to the O365 cloud, and one of the challenges is the performance when all of our users are connected to O365 by a proxy."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for web security and content filtering. We are using Symantec ProxySG.

What is most valuable?

The content that we are getting is very good. Content caching is also supported.

What needs improvement?

Activating the SSL inspection is one of the challenges. We are currently moving to the O365 cloud, and one of the challenges is the performance when all of our users are connected to O365 by a proxy.

I have been using this solution for almost ten years.

Its stability is good.

I am not sure about scalability. We always do some upgrades to cater to more users. We have up to 2,500 users, and we have 1,500 concurrent users.

Their technical support is good since they moved to Broadcom.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took us six months to one year to fine-tune or organize the policy.

In terms of cost, it is expensive. Its pricing has been a challenge for us since its acquisition by Broadcom.

What other advice do I have?

Symantec Proxy is for enterprise-level companies. It is more suitable if you are a big corporation or company.

I would rate Symantec Proxy a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, F5, Allot and others in WAN Optimization. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pedro Chidumo
Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is easy to use, stable, and scalable, and does not require a huge team for deployment

What is our primary use case?

We use it for browsing and for updates to our system. We use it for remote access and for meetings as well now.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and it is stable and scalable. You don't need a large team for deployment and maintenance.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, and the price could be lower as well.

I've been using it for a month.

It is a stable solution.

I think Symantec Proxy is scalable. We currently have 600 users.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, and the price could be lower as well.

I've been using it for a month.

It is a stable solution.

I think Symantec Proxy is scalable. We currently have 600 users.

The installation was straightforward; it was easy, and we had no problems. We had to configure some rules, so it took about a week. We needed two administrative staff for the deployment.

The price is too expensive compared with that of another solution. We have a three-year licence.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use, and I would rate Symantec Proxy at nine on a scale from one to ten.

SR
Senior System Administrator at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Stable, and scales to our requirements

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and we provide solutions to our customers. We use Symantec Proxy for a forward proxy.

What needs improvement?

The technical support should be improved.

We have been using Symantec Proxy for one year. The version we are using is SG200.

It's a stable solution.

We are a small enterprise and haven't had to option to scale. We didn't have any requirements to scale. We have 1,000 users in our organization. We operate around the clock, in shifts.

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and we provide solutions to our customers.

We use Symantec Proxy for a forward proxy.

What needs improvement?

The technical support should be improved.

We have been using Symantec Proxy for one year.

The version we are using is SG200.

It's a stable solution.

We operate around the clock, in shifts.

Technical support is an area that requires some improvement. I would rate them a four out of ten.

Licensing is based on a subscription.

Currently, we have a subscription for three years.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I am still new to this solution, and learning, for now, I would rate Symantec Proxy an eight out of ten.

RC
Cyber Security Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Documentation and stability needs improvement, but scales well

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator and we have configured Symantec Proxy to be used in a bank as a proxy.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having better documentation.

I have been using this solution for approximately four months.

The stability of the solution could improve.

The solution is scalable.

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having better documentation.

I have been using this solution for approximately four months.

The stability of the solution could improve.

The solution is scalable.

We contacted customer support when we had issues and their resolution was for us to check the settings over and over. This was not helpful and did not resolve the issues we were facing. The technical support could improve, we did not receive the help we needed.

The initial installation was not difficult. However, there are many issues with the solution.

What other advice do I have?

My experience was horrible using this solution. I would not advise anyone to use it, there are a lot of improvements needed.

I rate Symantec Proxy a five out of ten.

Download our free WAN Optimization Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, F5, Allot, and more!