Symantec Secure Web Gateway Overview

Symantec Secure Web Gateway is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Web Security Gateways. It is most often compared to Cisco Umbrella: Symantec Secure Web Gateway vs Cisco Umbrella

What is Symantec Secure Web Gateway?

Complete Website Security goes far beyond encryption to deliver protection for websites, data and applications—with 24/7 control that helps to mitigate risk and helps to ensure uninterrupted performance for every website. Multi-layered security and controls make our certificate issuance and authentication processes one of the most rigorous in the industry. Automated management pinpoints certificate and website weaknesses due to unexpected expirations, flawed installations, deprecation and critical vulnerabilities in the event of attacks. Meanwhile, Symantec’s unified security identifies worldwide security vulnerabilities, delivers real-time analytics and helps our customers to protect against damage 24/7. It's why we've become the name people trust.

Symantec Secure Web Gateway is also known as Symantec Complete Website Security .

Symantec Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Symantec Secure Web Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Secure Web Gateway pricing:
  • "There is an additional charge for advanced security features."

FI
Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Quite scalable but it is more complex than it needs to be and would be better with modernized deployment strategies

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is deploying the product as a web security gateway in conjunction with the Symantec client.

• "It is quite scalable. If a user needs to do more deployments, they can just add them."
  • "Difficult and time-consuming to deploy and update."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this Symantec product as a solution is to first do a proof of concept. Do not roll it out completely. Doing the proof of concept makes you sure that you can target all of the different devices and complete the setup for your environment. The biggest lesson we have learned from working with this solution so far is that I now think the idea of a service pack file is a bit antiquated and Symantec needs to come away from that mindset. There are existing products that do not use it. That is where we have the biggest issues with the product when we do have issues with…
AY
Senior Information Security Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and easy to use and manage, but needs better support and reporting

What is our primary use case?

One major use case is to allow internet access for some specific sites for all users without authentication. Normally, in our environment, before you go to the internet, we need to grant internet access to your account. Another use case is where there are some sites that people can go through only from inside the office, but they should not authenticate. We don't want to grant them internet access, but we want them to be able to go to the site. We could easily configure those sites, and the users do not require authentication for them. We also used it to block or restrict some sites during the… more »

• "It is easy to manage. The graphical user interface is quite easy to navigate, and we don't have any difficulty in using it. It is a good solution."
  • "The major challenge is their support. The support from Broadcom is quite poor. It takes forever for them to get back to you, and when they get back to you, they ask you for so much information, which makes it more difficult. That's the only problem I have with Broadcom. This is one of the reasons why we are switching to another solution. Another reason for switching is that we have a plan to adopt solutions in the cloud so that we can offload the administration efforts to the vendor. In future releases, they can improve its reporting and the process for rules creation. They can also improve Broadcom on things such as security information and event management so that from my same platform, I can carry out functions and probably block websites. Such a feature would be nice. Currently, Broadcom is integrated with McAfee to block access to certain sites automatically. It would be nice if they can expand their integration to IBM Resilient Security Orchestration and Automation Response."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Symantec Secure Web Gateway a seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Secure Web Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NishantKamath
Sr. Consultant, Cyber Security at Mideast Data Systems
Good URL filtering features but lacks features compared to the competition

What is our primary use case?

It is a web-based proxy - it's a cloud proxy. Its use case is mostly for customers who need URL filtering, who need a proxy for blocking access to different websites, and ICAP if the proxy supports it. The functionality is exactly the as same as ProxySG, Symantec's Blue Coat on-prem proxy, but the benefit is that the infrastructure doesn't have to be managed. You don't have to patch it, you don't have to do anything.

• "In terms of most valuable features, I like the ICAP capability and URL filtering the most."
  • "Depending on the severity of the issue, I think they can be a bit slow - a few days for the low severity cases, but for the severe cases normally they contact you back in a couple of hours."

What other advice do I have?

Symantec Complete Website Security works similar to Zscaler, but I think Zscaler is better. For a web-based proxy, I think Zscaler would be my top choice, based on the feedback I have personally received from my customers. The problem with Complete Website Security is with the dot com transition and dealing with Symantec is becoming a problem right now. I think it will be okay in February but for now, I think Zscaler is the best cloud proxy. On a scale of 1 - 10, I'd rate it a six or seven due to a lack of features compared to its competition.
NV
Senior Network Engineer at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good website blocking and SSL interception capability, but the interface needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this product on all of the traffic that is going outside of the organization. It is used for the blocking of websites, as well as SSL interception and authentication for HTTP and HTTPS requests.

• "The most valuable features are the website blocking capability and SSL interception."
  • "The interface could be made more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to check the market because traditional proxy servers are becoming a thing of the past. Most web security servers are already in the cloud so I think that the normal flow of web traffic will not be examined internally. Also, for remote users, I think that it is better to use virtual, cloud-based platforms. Overall, this product is okay and it does that job that it is supposed to do. At the same time, I think that other products that have comparative features and are more user-friendly. They are outdated when it comes to presentation. I…
DonaldBaldwin
Principal Enterprise Architect at Aurenav Sweden AB
We can see what's happening in machines at different locations but it's hard to understand the generic alerts

What is our primary use case?

We manage it through the cloud and it's deployed that way too. Our primary use case is for our signature-based tool for antivirus. It adds value.

• "It's nice to have it in the cloud where we can pull the reporting together for it so we can see what's happening in machines at different locations."
  • "It needs to be easier to set up rules for what sites it should allow or not allow us in certain areas of our computer for programs. It would also be nice really nice to have it give you better information about what it's finding. A lot of the alerts we get are very difficult to understand what it's actually telling you. It's too generic."

What other advice do I have?

For general business purposes this is a good product. It works on Windows platforms. If you need something on other platforms, you may need to look for something else. I would rate it a seven out of ten.
Product Categories
Secure Web Gateways
Download our free Symantec Secure Web Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.