Symantec VIP Access Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Symantec VIP Access Manager?

Symantec VIP Access Manager is the next generation control platform that integrates Single Sign-On (SSO) with strong authentication, access control, and user management. It offers users and administrators control, convenience, and compliance for public and private cloud- based applications. Symantec VIP Access Manager solves cloud security problems using identity and/or context-based access control across multiple cloud applications. In the cloud, where a traditional enterprise perimeter doesn't exist, this solution fills the gap. Through Symantec VIP Access Manager, administrators can define policies that utilize the built-in user directory or existing identity management infrastructure to enforce security and compliance for applications without getting in the way of productivity. Symantec VIP Access Manager can also protect and consolidate access management for on-premise web applications. It also simplifies compliance auditing for cloud applications by consolidating logs across all applications it protects.

Symantec VIP Access Manager is also known as Symantec VIP.

Download the Authentication Systems Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Symantec VIP Access Manager Customers
Maine Medical Center, Aria S.p.A
Symantec VIP Access Manager Video

Symantec VIP Access Manager Reviews

WV
Senior Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
It's fairly easy to install, fairly easy to set up, and provides us the ability to get into our corporate environment

• "Other than it provides us with remote access, so it's fairly easy to install, fairly easy to set up, and provides us the ability to get into our corporate environment."
  • "It gets out of sync with Active Directory or whatever it might be, whatever the authentication piece is on Active Directory, and they just reset it on the backend. I never have to contact the vendor."

What is our primary use case?

All of us in the practice work remotely from home across the country, so we all use it for remote access.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I've been using it so long I'm used to the way that it works, so it really doesn't have any problem as far as I can tell.

I check for updates a lot. I reset it sometimes. I can show my credential ID, so it works very well.

I have been using Symantec for six years.

It's fairly stable. Every once in awhile, you've got to go in and reset the token, but it's not hard to do. It's fairly stable. I usually have a problem with my internet before I have a problem with VIP.

There are 2,500 employees and around 80% of us are now remote. It scales through. I don't know what tier license they have or anything like that. I don't know what they had to do on the back end to scale it license wise, but to roll it out, I work in functionality as far as rolling it out to 1,800 people pretty easily.

The people on my team who use it are security engineers.

I usually call technical support if I have a problem with it, I'll call my IT guys, and they can reset it on the backend if they have to. It gets out of sync with Active Directory or whatever it might be, whatever the authentication piece is on Active Directory, and they just reset it on the backend. I never have to contact the vendor.

I don't know if it's Symantec that's the problem. It's probably our domain controllers and however they have SYSVOL set up is what I'm guessing.

When the SYSVOL goes out to sync up, I'm not sure where the Symantec server sits, so sometimes, that synchronization gets out of whack. It's probably on our end, not Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a fairly lightweight client that works very well for remote access purposes, I think Symantec is definitely a good product. As much as a lot of people bad-mouth Symantec, just based on the Broadcom acquisition last year, I think this product is one of Symantec's best.

It competes very well with Boomi. Some of Boomi's features because they're also a company of acquisitions, they've done a lot more acquisitions on the remote desktop side. They also acquired Avecto, BeyondTrust, and probably a couple of others on the privileged access side, VIP doesn't really provide any privileged access, but when you get into competitors that have a broader product offering, they have more to offer for a remote desktop.

If Symantec wanted to look at an acquisition, I think that would be awesome. I think they'd compete much better with other products.

VIP is the token.

If I was an IT person, there might be something in the tool that I have to go tweak and tune to make it work on the IT side on the backend. But as far as the user side, it launches fairly easily from the desk tray. The token repeats every 30 seconds, so it's pretty easy to use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud