Symantec VIP Access Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Symantec VIP Access Manager?

Symantec VIP Access Manager is the next generation control platform that integrates Single Sign-On (SSO) with strong authentication, access control, and user management. It offers users and administrators control, convenience, and compliance for public and private cloud- based applications. Symantec VIP Access Manager solves cloud security problems using identity and/or context-based access control across multiple cloud applications. In the cloud, where a traditional enterprise perimeter doesn't exist, this solution fills the gap. Through Symantec VIP Access Manager, administrators can define policies that utilize the built-in user directory or existing identity management infrastructure to enforce security and compliance for applications without getting in the way of productivity. Symantec VIP Access Manager can also protect and consolidate access management for on-premise web applications. It also simplifies compliance auditing for cloud applications by consolidating logs across all applications it protects.

Symantec VIP Access Manager is also known as Symantec VIP.

Download the Authentication Systems Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Symantec VIP Access Manager Customers
Maine Medical Center, Aria S.p.A
Symantec VIP Access Manager Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

WB
Specialist Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good interface and the VPN works well

• "The VPN we are using is good and working quite well."
  • "If they had dashboards or a report for managers or executives, then it would allow them to see the status and have it make sense to them."

What other advice do I have?

I am a consultant for Symantec on-site. Before getting started with this solution, have a successful business process in place, or get something in place as soon as possible. I like the whole solution, and I would recommend it. I would rate it a ten out of ten.
AK
Consultant at a government with 11-50 employees
Offers more platform support and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to generate digital code to login to my email and network. This solution is part of our requirement for multifactor authentication when logging into the network from outside the office. We are currently using the latest version of the product.

How has it helped my organization?

It offers more platform support, like Apple, Android, and Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use. I use it when traveling.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like the ability to work offline with remote access. Sometimes, there is no connectivity. Every time that I have a new phone or computer, it takes a little longer to deploy it.

The stability is okay. …
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Cisco, RSA and others in Authentication Systems. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Iftikhar Iqbal
Professional Services Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides an easy management of credentials for the remote users when accessing the corporate resources

• "Cloud-based service and management."
  • "Geofencing needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Understand your pain points and requirements, then fully understand the feature set provided by the vendor and licensing requirements. You know your environment best and the consultants who work with the vendors know the solution best, so bring everything down to an overlap.
it_user707181
Network Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
One of the most valuable features is two-factor authentication

• "The two-factor authentication is most definitely valuable and moves us closer to being able to check off those important boxes for compliance."
  • "The gateway server is a RADIUS server, but it lacks the functionality of returning RADIUS attributes other than those that are required for the gateway to authenticate the users."

What other advice do I have?

This product works fine when it is setup. Once we have it setup, we haven’t had to do much. The Gateway configuration is easy, and it is easy to backup, allowing you to spin up VM's and replace them if need be, (as no AD info is stored on them). The various capabilities for authentication are nice and allow for multiple methods.
it_user677718
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Intelligent Authentication and the cloud-based service with BYOD are valuable features. The User Store synchronization part needs to improve.

What is most valuable?

In this version 9.1, lots of changes are done for the dashboard, User Store etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Mostly from a product expert's point of view, it provides solutions for my clients. Intelligent Authentication and the cloud-based service with BYOD are valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The User Store synchronization part needs to improve. Also, the logs, reports, and dashboard can be improved.

I have been using this solution for around two years.

There were no stability issues.

There was the User Store issue that we experienced in terms of the scalability. It was difficult…
it_user588588
IT Manager at a hospitality company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Enables VPN connections.

What other advice do I have?

If you use a different product like this, your users will definitely see the difference. If this is the first time using such an application, the end user may have some resistance. The necessity of the product is indispensable and it is a really a simple application.
it_user321156
Senior Information Security Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is cloud based. As long as a site has an Internet connection, developers can get in and work.

What other advice do I have?

Include a load balancer in front of the relay servers.
it_user589362
Information Security Consultant And Project Management Of Information Security at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Prevents unauthorized logins, even when passwords have been compromised or shared.

What other advice do I have?

VIP is a strong, cloud-based authentication service that enables organizations to secure access to networks and applications to prevent unauthorized logins to company resources, even when passwords have been compromised or shared.
it_user245415
IT Service Delivery Coordinator for Victoria at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
All the platforms we were running were supported.

What other advice do I have?

These are the benefits of implementing VIP by Symantec as remote login solution * Cloud based solution * Fast migration from hard token solution * Reduced complexity * Improved productivity * Lower costs
it_user243873
Help Desk Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
The VIP manager doesn't authenticate through AD or LDAP, but overall customer satisfaction has increased.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very easy product to administer and has a lot of extra features, including two and three factor authorization, mobile solutions, pin-to-text, layered administration, etc.
it_user192297
Security PCI Project Coordinator at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The product is user friendly, but I have found some users still require coaching

What other advice do I have?

Produce a simple yet comprehensive guide for new enrollees.