JJ
Principal Partner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Good support, informative dashboards and reporting

• "The most valuable part of the solution is the general dashboard features."
  • "With Tableau, when you're dealing with very large datasets, it can be slow so the performance is an area that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The dashboards give us metrics around the sales of our company. Most are sales reports to let us know how we're doing across different account managers, as well as how we're doing according to our forecast and plan.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of the solution is the general dashboard features. We schedule the dashboards to be refreshed and re-calculated, so they're not live connections but cached dashboards.

What needs improvement?

With Tableau, when you're dealing with very large datasets, it can be slow so the performance is an area that can be improved.

The security can be improved.

We have been using Tableau across the enterprise for approximately seven years.

We don't have any complaints about stability.

Scalability-wise, Tableau has met all of our needs. Across the organization as a whole, we probably have more than 1,000 users. There are probably 50 power users, who create their own dashboards and reports.

The consumers are sales executives, senior management, C-level, and HR. There are a lot of job categories that use the reports.

The technical support has been pretty good and we haven't had any major complaints about it.

We are currently using MicroStrategy along with Tableau. We began with MicroStrategy, and all of our reports were on it. We had been using it for about 15 years. Tableau is much easier to develop in, so with MicroStrategy, you needed more of an architect to manage the metadata. Because Tableau is a lot simpler to implement, we've been able to train people to do their own reports, so it's much better from a self-service perspective.

Security-wise, Tableau is not as robust as MicroStrategy.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We initially had a third-party vendor come in and help us with the setup. They led that effort, but since then, we've managed the environments ourselves.

We have an in-house team that takes care of maintenance.

Tableau is not as cost-effective as Microsoft BI.

We are thinking about switching to Microsoft Power BI from MicroStrategy and Tableau. Cost is a factor that is driving us toward the Microsoft solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

HM
Performance and Business Intelligence Specialist at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good visualization features and reasonably-priced, but the ETL process is time-consuming

• "Compared to other products, visualization features are really good."
  • "To be the best in the market, Tableau has to improve its user interface and also look into developing implementing the best machine learning algorithms."

What is our primary use case?

We use Tableau for working with data.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other products, visualization features are really good. When it comes to data availability and visualization, some tools like PowerBI give 20% to the visualization and 80% to the data. With Tableau, it gives 80% to the visualization and 20% to the data.

What needs improvement?

All of the BI tools have graphical interfaces but when it comes to the learning environment, not every tool has everything. To be the best in the market, Tableau has to improve its user interface and also look into developing implementing the best machine learning algorithms.

Including data storage capabilities would be helpful.

During the data crunching phase, it takes time for Tableau to connect, integrate, and download the data. In general, it takes a lot of time for the ETL process.

Increasing the trial period to six months would allow people to better learn and assess the tool to determine whether it suits their needs.

Given the price of BI tools, Tableau should consider giving a scholarship to people so that they can learn how to work with the tool. It would be helping some of the people who lost their jobs during this pandemic. If the users learn and become certified on Tableau, it would help to get more people interested in the tool.

I have been working with Tableau for approximately five years.

The price of Tableau is reasonable compared to other products. One thing to keep in mind is that price is not the only thing to consider. The first time that you want to test any BI tool, you have to give the user some time to work with it and learn it. This means that the trial period should be as long as possible.

Many startups can't afford most of the BI tools, so they are looking for open-source platforms.

We are currently focused on building a data lake. Whether it is ultimately a data lake, data warehouse, or other data storage, we will require tools. There are several that we are looking into now. It is a collective effort with the data and the tools that we have, and what BI tools are necessary and required. Some of the solutions we are looking at are Alteryx, Azure, and Qlik Sense, in addition to Tableau.

With Qlik Sense, there is an ETL component and there is also a data storage option.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PA
Lead Data Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Stable, easy to use, and almost everything can be done from the front end

• "It is definitely easy to use. It is intuitive, and more or less, everything can be done from the front end. As such, there is no concept of metadata. You can just take data from a database and start building your own stuff, such as OLAP data warehouse. You don't need extensive metadata modeling like Oracle BI."
  • "It should have more integration with different tools and technologies. Its licensing cost should also be improved."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly for reporting purposes. We have our users who are using the desktop, and I, as an admin, provide help and support the backend activities. I don't really develop the reports.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It should have more integration with different tools and technologies. Its licensing cost should also be improved.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It is stable.

It does manage a good amount of enterprise data, but it is not like Oracle BI or MicroStrategy. They can handle huge volumes of enterprise data. Tableau doesn't have the same efficiency in terms of handling a large amount of enterprise data.

In terms of the number of users, I work for a client, and they have a user base of 14,000.

When I get questions or doubts, I just Google them and find the answers. In my one year of experience in working with Tableau, I've not really found out any kind of difficulties. I have also not heard much about any difficulties.

Its installation is straightforward. I have never done it, but I have seen my colleagues do it. I have worked extensively on Oracle BI or OBIEE, and I know how difficult it is. The installation of Tableau is comparatively pretty straightforward.

In terms of the technical team for its deployment and maintenance, we don't need many people. Most of the things, users can do themselves. We only provide the required support and do the admin tasks.

Its licensing cost should be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is quite good. It is an upcoming technology, and people are using it quite widely.

I would rate Tableau a nine out of ten.

RD
Owner at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Powerful visualizations, easy to use, and stable.

• "It is very good for data visualization. It has very powerful visualizations and is easy to use."
  • "I am not a frequent user of this solution, so I am not sure what they've been doing recently. The last time when I used it, I had to use other tools with it for data extraction and cleansing. Its price should also be improved. It is more expensive than Power BI. In terms of training, there is generally better online training for Power BI, but I am not sure of that. It would be helpful to know from where to access its training."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for personal and organizational purposes. Most recently, we used it to collect and analyze the personal and geographic data input by people over the web.

How has it helped my organization?

Makes analysis fast and easy, providing insights that could be missed otherwise.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use with very powerful data visualizations.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution off and on for four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable if you use it with other tools. I have used it with other tools.

I am a freelance consultant. I use it myself. My clients have hundreds or thousands of users.

I don't have any experience with their support.

I also use Power BI. Tableau is very comparable to Power BI.

If I remember it correctly, it was easy.

I can do it on my own.

My clients don't measure an ROI, they are interested in getting insights faster and when the get past the basics right then modelling scenarios. If you invest in BI tools it is part of a journey requiring investment. Analysis often helps to increase revenues and reduce costs.

It is expensive when you compare it with Power BI. It should be cheaper.

I have looking at SAP SAC and Oracle / Essbase for a client.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Tableau a nine out of ten.

Hugo Vera
CEO at Bi Solutions S.A
Reseller
An interactive data visualization software with an important visual analytics feature

• "The most important feature in Tableau is visual analytics."
  • "The price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our customers in retail, healthcare, and manufacturing who need analytics. I'm doing use-cases like this a lot.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a customer who is an automation company, and we use Tableau for optimizing the inventory in the warehouses.

What is most valuable?

Tableau's easy to use, and easy to deploy. It has a good user interface. The most important feature in Tableau is visual analytics. The maps and geographical analytics are important for implementation. It's also easy to develop and work with historical data. It also makes it easy to create a culture within the organization.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. The overall scalability can also be improved. I would like to see more machine learning components to do predictive analytics. It should be simple for our customers to use. Tableau should include an automated machine learning feature in the next release.

I've been using Tableau for about nine years.

The stability is good.

Tableau is scalable, but the overall scalability can be improved to accommodate large volumes of data.

The initial setup was easy. The time it takes to deploy depends on the company size. For example, one day, four days, or maybe even two weeks. It depends on the company and the data they have. It takes about three people to implement and maintain this product.

Pricing could be better. I believe they should offer better pricing for deployment in small to mid-sized companies. Tableau needs to change the pricing model and offer a monthly option. This is the principal benefit their competitors offer. If companies can pay month-to-month, it would provide more opportunities for them.

Our customers often evaluate competitors like Microsoft BI and Qlik Sense. These products are deployed everywhere, in the cloud and on-premise. Tableau loses to the competition because of price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Tableau to new users. This is a great tool.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Tableau a ten.

MJ
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Useful self-service tools, user-friendly, and high quality visuals

• "I have found many of the self-service features valuable."
  • "The process of embedding the dashboards on external portals and websites could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for multiple functions internally, mainly for finance, accounting, and the operations team.

What is most valuable?

I have found many of the self-service features valuable. One tool allows anyone within the business to create their own dashboards. However, their data has to be prepared properly. Everything is user-friendly, and the visualizations are high quality and esthetically pleasing. Additionally, there is a tool that enables not just the developers, but even the end business users to create jobs for them.

What needs improvement?

The process of embedding the dashboards on external portals and websites could be improved. We also experienced challenges with integration with analytics.

In an upcoming release, if the capabilities of Tableau Prep are improvised and expanded, that would be an added advantage.

I have been using the solution for one year.

We have found the solution to be stable and reliable.

We have increased the number of users when we develop more dashboards for the new departments. We did not face challenges when we increased the number of users. We have approximately 50 users using the solution in my organization.

We are planning to increase the usage of the solution. We are doing internal training to help our employees because a lot of people do not know how to use it properly. This has caused a bit of an expansion problem.

The technical support is good.

The initial installation was straightforward. The deployment took approximately three months, this included the development of dashboards and customizations.

There is a license for this solution and we pay on an annual basis.

We did evaluate other options before we choose this solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement the solution would be, if you are looking for ETL heavy tools, this may not be the right choice. However, if you want beautiful visualizations and getting insights from data at high speed. This would be a good solution for that focus.

I rate Tableau an eight out of ten.

Pooja  Kashyap
Product Manager at Rabita Software
Reseller
Enables us to visualize our raw data

• "It's very user-friendly. It's not like Power BI, Tableau is very user-friendly. Anybody can use Tableau. It's very easy to adopt things. I can visualize the stats."
  • "In the next release, I would like to be able to have the option to see more raw data that I'm converting on the dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

Tableau is an analytics tool so we use it to feed the data. I get the raw data. We use it for business problems. If I want to see what is happening in the market I have Tableau's raw data. I'll make sure that I take all that data and feed it into Tableau.

What is most valuable?

It's one of the fastest-growing data visualization and data analytics tools. It aims to help people see the data. You can simplify and convert raw data into a very understandable format. That's the good thing about Tableau.

I've been using Tableau for two years.

The stability is good. It's easy to use. It's user-friendly.

Scalability is quite flexible. It designed to give a more flexible scaling experience. It's quite easy to add users. The Tableau server can support 200 users.

I get good support from the Tableau team. If I have any issues, they're able to solve my issue within 24 to 48 hours. If I create an issue, they resolve it between 24 to 48 hours. If I have an issue, I'll just send in a form in the Tableau portal.

The initial setup was easy. My IT team took care of setting up the licensing part.

The pricing is expensive.

We also evaluated Power BI and Qlikview. I'm more comfortable with Tableau, it's user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Tableau a nine out of ten.

It's a good thing that I'm able to visualize my raw data. In the next release, I would like to be able to have the option to see more raw data that I'm converting on the dashboard.

Alejandro Moscoso
General Surgeon at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Robust features, gives meaning to your data, and easy to install

• "It is a complete solution allowing a lot of integrations, different graphics, multiple operations and analyzes our date and gives us meaning from it."
  • "They need to improve the icons and the filters, because they look too old, resembling Excel from 1997."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to capture all the data from the business, we use it for many things.

What is most valuable?

It is a complete solution allowing a lot of integrations, different graphics, multiple operations and analyzes our date and gives us meaning from it.

What needs improvement?

Some of the functionality of the dashboard can be difficult to operate and the color pallets are limited. They need to improve the icons and the filters, because they look too old, resembling Excel from 1997. It would be helpful if the solution was less difficult to use.

The stability was good, it worked well.

The scalability is not the best because the software is complicated to learn, this limits the number of people using the product.

I did not use the support. However, there are many different platforms out there, such as forums on the internet, that you can get information that you require for assistance.

The setup is really easy but it is hard to use it.

The deployment is easy, it installs like a standard piece of software would.

The solution is very expensive. If you have many users then it is going to cost your company a lot of money.

What other advice do I have?

When purchasing the product, start out by only getting a minimal amount of licenses. This solution is not like Microsoft Office where many people know how to use it and can learn fairly quickly. This solution takes time to learn, buying too many licenses could be a waste of money if you do not have employees that can use it. Additionally, when you are using the solution work closely with stakeholders to make sure what you are processing what they are looking for by using the mock-up feature. If you do not then you could have completed a lot of work that they did not want.

I rate Tableau a nine out of ten.

Download our free Tableau Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.