Tableau Overview

Tableau is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Visualization tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: Tableau vs Microsoft BI

What is Tableau?

Tableau helps people and organizations become more data-driven as the trusted leader in analytics.

The Tableau platform provides the breadth and depth of capabilities to serve the needs of even the largest global enterprises in a seamless, integrated experience. Tableau is designed to fit, not dictate your data strategy, and adapts to your environment with unmatched flexibility and choice, while meeting the toughest governance and security requirements.

People love using Tableau because it is both powerful and intuitive—and offers a fundamentally different user experience by empowering people of all skill levels to explore and analyze data using visuals and natural language. Tableau has become the standard language of analytics for modern business users and continues to lead the industry with the most passionate and engaged user community in analytics, a customer base with millions of users at more than 80,000 organizations, and a deep commitment to customer-focused innovation

Evaluation Guide: How to choose the right BI & analytics platform

Redefining the role of IT in modern BI world

Tableau is also known as Tableau Desktop, Tableau Server, Tableau Online.

Tableau Buyer's Guide

Download the Tableau Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Tableau Customers

Accenture, Adobe, Amazon.com, Bank of America, Charles Schwab Corp, Citigroup, Coca-Cola Company, Cornell University, Dell, Deloitte, Duke University, eBay, Exxon Mobil, Fannie Mae, Ferrari, French Red Cross, Goldman Sachs, Google, Government of Canada, HP, Intel, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Macy's, Merck, The New York Times, PayPal, Pfizer, US Army, US Air Force, Skype, and Walmart.

Tableau Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SP
Sr Business Intel at WestJet Airlines
Intuitive and user-friendly UI helps naive users easily click and connect, drag and drop, and build fantastic visualizations

What is our primary use case?

This product is for non-technical users who know, or may not know, what they need but would like to automate their processes.

• "It has been the best tool to work with from a self-service point of view."
  • "Licensing and pricing options could be made better so that more users would be able to use it."
Senior Director BI & Analytics at Hertz Global Holdings, Inc.
Friendly interface with mobile support helps us with data visualization and exploration

What is our primary use case?

We use Tableau and Tableau Server for data visualization. We have a Global Tableau Server used by five thousand users on a monthly basis, with fifty thousand email notifications and more than five hundred workbooks for sales, marketing, revenue management, and operations analytics.

• "Scheduled extract and the multiple connectors are fantastic!"
  • "The performance could be better."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is very good. Loved it and the employees also love how quickly they can create a workbook and share it. Overall, a great solution and a great team.
Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Software Quality Assurance Engineer at Syapse
Interactive dashboards enable the end user to modify the criteria or the filtering

What is our primary use case?

We use this business intelligence tool to build dashboards to display some of the statistical and analytical information that our company gathers. We develop a precision medicine software platform that enables academic and community healthcare providers to implement and scale precision medicine programming. We capture clinical data, genomic and other molecular data, biomedical knowledge, and the relationships among them. We also provide integrated complex genomic and clinical data to clinicians with actionable insights.

• "One of the most valuable features is that the solution allows users to build interactive dashboards. This allows the end user to modify the criteria or the filtering if need be. As far as for my personal use as a QA Engineer, I really value how extensive their API document support has been."
  • "Improvements can be made in template support. The workbook file structure is really hard to version control. If there was some sort of version control support offered particularly for workbooks, that would help big time."

What other advice do I have?

Tableau provides a UI which can be used to build a clear graphical visualization that allows quick and easy data comprehension. This functionality really helps turn data into scalable insights. This makes things a lot easier for people who don't have coding experience and with dedicated people focused on managing the visualizations, not requiring them all to be developers or to have any coding experience is a real plus. If I was to give this solution a rating from one-to-ten, ten is the best, I'd rate it a 9 because it does all that we require of it and more. I would recommend this solution to…
SK
Vice President Engineering Intellicloud at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
The diagram drop facilities help to double up hard drive reports

What is our primary use case?

I have a lot of experience using Tableau for the Healthcare Market. I use Tableau for visualization and reporting mostly. Main observations: * Tableau is nice and smooth. * Tableau is quite user-friendly and easy to use. * The digital agents were really great. * Clients and customers liked the visualizations. Overall, I got positive feedback from clients by using Tableau.

• "I work for clients. That is my business model. Business people really like to see Tableau. They love Tableau because it is very user-friendly. The platform provides an easy to use interface, which is what most people like about it."
  • "From the developer perspective, the data connection handling the target data set is what most needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

First, clients should be comfortable with the existing resources or existing platform which the organization is using - that is one of the very important aspects before you decide on any new tool or any kind of new technology. Second, you want to go ahead and invite a new application into your current system. Ask how compatible the application is before you decide on any new product in your organization. Third, you should consider if your employees are comfortable with the new incoming technology in terms of whether it’s easy to learn or adapt. Ask how comfortable your employees are before you…
Project Development Coordinator at ALIMENTOS ITALIA
I can upload excel files and visualize the information with details

What is our primary use case?

In particular, I believe in the ease that Tableau provides for generating statistics and content in real time. We no longer use the old system where we must load the data one by one, and with just one click, I can see all the information I need.

What other advice do I have?

This software must be managed on mobile devices in several languages.
FC
ACS/OPS at Delta Air Lines, Inc.
We are able to create reports that are more helpful to our front-line employees

What is our primary use case?

I use this program to visualize the data sets from front-line employees. Primarily, the tool is used for visualizing data.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to create reports that are more helpful to our front-line employees. They are able to implement decisions much faster.

What is most valuable?

The friendliness and easy way of using the platform. I think that as a new user it is easy to learn, and really easy and quick to try and learn from mistakes.

What needs improvement?

Their training. I've been looking for ways in which we can start training more people to it, and it has shown that other platforms have more access to training than Tableau.

Process Data Engineer (Subsurface and Wells) at Shell
Platform to automate and make user-defined customized dashboards

What is our primary use case?

Creating dashboards to generate value out of data Great features and functionalities with customized dashboards Very intuitive and massive user support base.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to save millions by making informed decisions which are data driven. Visualization of data with great efficiency has helped to integrate dashboards across the organization.

What is most valuable?

Platform to automate and make user-defined customized dashboards.  Very well integrated with other applications which helps to move data from one application to another with much ease.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it crashes because of the huge database. This could be fixed so that it works smoothly with large databases.

For how long have I

SS
Program Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to understand and evaluate our numbers in an expedient manner.

What is our primary use case?

We have used it for our program correspondence, basically, so how to program report to satisfaction of different programs. It helps us obtain information. We also use it for visualization.

• "It allows us to basically understand and evaluate our numbers in an expedient manner."
  • "It is a stable solution."
  • "I would like to be able to set the parameters in a more specific manner."

What other advice do I have?

When reviewing a possible solution, we always consider: * Price * Functionality
Director, BI & Analytics at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
Top ReviewerTop 20
If you're evaluating Tableau as a potential data visualization solution, consider these points.
***We've upgraded to 2018.1 So I've updated the Pros and Cons accordingly!" I've been working between Tableau and Qlikview (depending on use case) and have been jotting down Pros and Cons of each as I come across them.  Many of these, but not all, are centered around some fairly specific UI functionality and limitations that I've come across while trying to deliver on various dashboard solutions.  If you're evaluating Tableau as a potential data visualization solution, some of these points might help with your evaluation, or at least I'm hoping so!  One caveat I will apply to the "Cons" section is some of these may in fact be resolved in the latest version, or may be achieved through some means that I'm just not aware of (though I do generally research pretty extensively before…
Principal Consultant at University of Utah Hospital
Its ease of developing visualizations is a valuable feature, but the tool needs improvements in its security schema

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for healthcare analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

Tableau has provided visibility into patterns which I had not previously observed.

What is most valuable?

The ease of developing visualizations, not just charts and graphs.

What needs improvement?

The enterprise features need improvements. Improvements in schema security and row/column security need to be made.

KS
Manager Technology at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is a stable product. It doesn't break.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is more visualization for user interactivity.

What is most valuable?

Interactivity Fast data access The graphs Understanding our data better based on the sublevel of data provided.

What needs improvement?

We would like a report model, because currently there is no schema that we can create in the tool.

It is a very stable product. It doesn't break.

I am not using the technical support. There is a great Tableau community.

I was not involved in the setup.

Tableau is…
Partner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Tableau Prep is a useful integration feature because I can prepare data in simple ways without errors

What is our primary use case?

We use Tableau in my company because we are trying to add another revenue line because we use Quantrix modeler, which is a multi-internal spreadsheet to build our financial models. We had intended to deploy another step of our value chain for our customers, because it is simpler to view the data via Tableau instead of reading across tabs. It's an applet form that can improve the decision-making process.

• "The most valuable feature is the drag and drop, then the simplicity to build dashboards which allows us to provide more usable data to our customers."
  • "I would like them to include the Italian language, as I can see there are other foreign language in the product."

What other advice do I have?

I am very satisfied with it. I would recommend it. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Customer care quality * The learning instruments provided via webinars and YouTube videos to improve my skills as fast as possible.
SVP Technology at Tesco
User
The most valuable feature is the 3D charting, though they need to improve the bar chart position and width

What is our primary use case?

We use it for dashboard designing.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organizational departments, like sales, HR, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the 3D charting.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the bar chart position and width.

Ejecutivo de cuentas at Kantar Worldpanel
An excellent tool for data capture, processing, and visualization

What is our primary use case?

I knew this service from my academic field and was able to transfer it to the workplace. It is an excellent tool for data capture, processing, and visualization. The application of statistical models on the data displayed is very useful, and it is not complicated.

• "This service is the combination of very pleasant, interactive graphical visualizations along with the application of advanced statistical models (in some cases)."
  • "It is an excellent tool for data capture, processing, and visualization."
  • "The use of this service in the desktop version is annoying due to the constant updates which lead to reinstalling the application. If they could give support with updates on the same downloaded version, it would be great."

What other advice do I have?

I have only trialed it. I could not get this product signed off due to budget constraints, not related to Tableau (which is far from the most expensive out there). Recommendations to others considering the product: Trial it and play around with it. You will be amazed at how quickly you pick it up.
Director, Data-Driven Innovation with 201-500 employees
User
Quickest learning time among similar tools due to its ease of use and interactivity

What is our primary use case?

Sales dashboards for management, which were implemented initially in v.10.2, then upgraded systematically with new releases to v.10.5.

• "The solution is being delivered to our customer, who appreciates the insights generated from the reports. It is easy for them to drill into the details and use interactive charts."
  • "We found Tableau has the quickest learning time out of the few other BI reporting tools that we have used."
    Assistant Vice President - BICC - Development at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    As a self-service tool it decreases the burden on IT and enables faster production

What is our primary use case?

We use it for different groups within the bank. They produce the visualizations they need based on their requirements. It's just rolling out. It's mostly for reports or visualizations - different financial applications. There are also HR applications as well. For the groups that are advanced, they are pretty happy with the results, and the ones that are just starting the process, the journey, our group is ready to help. There are a lot of learning materials out there to get them trained and try different things out.

• "It's the ease of use. It is also a self-service tool so it decreases the burden on having centralized IT-type teams or developers."
    • "It needs a little bit more advanced modeling. I would like to see functionality like Cognos has in the Framework Manager."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be that you should consider Tableau. Certainly, for visualization-type projects, it would definitely be one of the products to look at, and I would recommend it at this time. Because we are just starting the process, I would definitely give it an eight out of 10. We are getting a lot of good support from the groups using it, but that can only get better as we get more and more groups adopting it, and they are happy. It's really going to be a matter of how happy our users are in building their projects. As that grows, and if their feedback is good, then that will only increase…
    BI Operations Support Leader at General Electric
    Self-service; users can build their own reports based on their needs

What is our primary use case?

* Create dashboards for different functions in the organization. * Used to report out information from the corporate data repository.

• "It provides business users with a tool, so they are not dependent on IT."
    • "Analysis is now more visual than in the past."
    • "Bursting email is needed to deliver the reports to many people in their inboxes and this functionality is not provided by Tableau."
    MEA Sales Director at DR at ComNavy
    User
    Makes the reporting stage simple to use

What is our primary use case?

As a BI system integrator. we design performance solutions for different industries. We do use different tools in our solutions, and Tableau software is one of the our partners. One of the solutions we developed for a telecom client was a performance management tool. The solution used reporting dashboards based on network performance KPIs.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Tableau, it has made the reporting stage simple and enabled us to focus mainly on the ETL part.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the tool is very easy to use. This makes it simple to introduce it to CxOs. After a rapid demo, they are usual impressed by the results shown, because it has such a rare simplicity.

What needs improvement?

Needs more ETL…
    IT Manager at California Department of Corrections
    User
    Allows insights into business performance issues, but dashboard deployment to viewers can be prohibitively expensive

What is our primary use case?

Business Intelligence for operational and executive dashboards. It is used to create real-time operational insights which start at the line-level staff person who manages their own productivity and performance indicators. This gets rolled up to middle and upper management and provides a full sense of operations and targeted goal achievement.

How has it helped my organization?

Excellent product: Great visualizers and it is easy to use.  Allows insights into business performance issues, providing supporting data for critical policy and operational changes.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to adapt visualizers to have interactive conversations among decision-makers. Powerful aggregating and drill-downs are critical for effective insight discovery. …
    Analysis Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
    User
    It gives us a new dimension to the way that we analyse our data

What is our primary use case?

I use Tableau Desktop and Server 10.4 for data visualization to measure business targets and performance, it helps the business identify strategies and solutions to meet objectives.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients are so happy with the new visualisation tools. It has answered most of their questions on how to measure and improve their business performance.  It gives us a new dimension to the way that we analyse our data.

What is most valuable?

Parameters Calculations Dynamic filters LOD The ability to use multiple data sources.  The use of a storyboard helps the flow of the data visualisation.

What needs improvement?

If they could add global filters in the stories, more chart types, and default colours, it would help.     …
    Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Better interaction and less time spent with end users

What is our primary use case?

As a consultant and solutions developer for an integrator company, I use Tableau for the construction of Control Dashboards and BI applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Enhanced application development Less time spent with end users Better interaction with end users Better application quality

What is most valuable?

Easy of use Easy to learn Gradual scalability from simple to complex situations Wide integration with BI industry

What needs improvement?

Provide additional enhancements in any business process: Operations, Marketing and Sales, Finance, Human Resources, Logistics, etc.

Three to five years.
    AM
    Senior BI Developer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    The product has comprehensive, insightful charts, which allow you to build stunning dashboards

What is our primary use case?

Tableau works for a diverse range of industries and use cases. I have work with Tableau for big organizations and big governmental entities as well.

How has it helped my organization?

Tableau has comprehensive, insightful charts, which allow you to build stunning dashboards and enrich your support decision-making.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use Maps Filters Drag and drop functionality Dates Undo button Wide-range of data connectors

What needs improvement?

Scripting just as loops would be great.  Forecasting on table calculation fields.

Project Manager
    Easy to use, very stable

What other advice do I have?

We only it for the financial side of the company. We don't use it on other projects, for example, the production side, the IT of the company. Only for financial. I would say that the result is we have a lack of users, it's only part of company; we don't have a whole view of the business.
    AG
    Business Intelligence Manager with 501-1,000 employees
    Combines and visualizes data from many entry points and provides users with a single source of consistent and reliable information

What other advice do I have?

It is very important to do an evaluation of your users who will be interacting with the tool. Their technical abilities will determine if a cumbersome tool is suitable for them. Secondly, if you do not have the technical expertise to administer a product, then it may not be the solution for you. Some of the other tools require a high dependence on the vendor for administrative purposes.
    DHS HQ at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Good for quick visualization and being able to quickly consume unstructured data, but not so great when it comes to data exchange/integration and data mining

• "It’s good for quick visualization and being able to quickly consume unstructured data to play around with."
    • "It is not so great when it comes to data exchange/integration, data mining, etc."

What other advice do I have?

We always have the latest versions of Tableau (part of the package deal), so we can have the latest in APIs and integration hooks and plugins needed across our platforms of OBIEE, SQL, etc. Tableau is good for quick visualization once you have the data, but not such a great interoperable tool or getting to multiple sources without a lot of work and know-how. Good for pulling in unstructured data and doing quick reports/prototypes. Does require some stronger business analytical skills rather than your novice user (and technical with regards to use of API and plugins). If new to the analytics/BI…
    Software Development Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Enables data analysis without coding although lack of automated usage reports is a drawback

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to review all the vendors and features/functionality. There are many products out there in the market today.
    Business Intelligence Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Brings clarity in business opportunities through graphs, parameters, and filters

What other advice do I have?

To be very clear about the expectations of the BI Project, to work in a very deep and detailed way regarding the PMO, and to clearly identify the key users and sponsors.
    ProductEngineer with 51-200 employees
    Really an A+ product which can integrate with Mapbox and other WMS services

What other advice do I have?

It’s really an A+ product. Other than being a customer, we also suggest to our clients this product.
    IT Instructor at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User interface is designed for ease of use for non-technical users

What other advice do I have?

Great tool.
    ‎R&D Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Data is almost real-time, allowing a better decision making process

What other advice do I have?

* Define clear objectives and outcomes. * Proper sizing if Tableau Server is needed. * Follow Tableau Drive Methodology.
    Sr Programmer Analyst at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A very straightforward setup, but limited extract functionality

What other advice do I have?

First try a proof of concept with one data set using Tableau. Present it to the user community. Try to work with an implementation partner. Training is essential for power users.
    Enterprise Risk Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Presents analysis results in a visual manner, though improvement needed in filters when applied on large data sets

What other advice do I have?

Thoroughly test your data connectivity requirements to make sure everything works well. From an end user perspective, it is a very easy tool to use.
    Business Intelligence Specialist
    Easy to create trend information for recent years

What other advice do I have?

This is a powerful product that allows users to analyze themselves rather than viewing the report. I hope you can master it and become an advanced data analyst.
    Senior Manager - Analytics at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Changed the way data was consumed internally enabling business leaders to reduce time for data discovery

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it, and you will not regret it.
    User at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Time saved by allowing the tool to make necessary changes is definitely worth my company's money

• "Data Interpreter: Which can identify issues or potential errors with your imported data."
    • "The user experience for less savvy or non-technical people (from my experience)."

What other advice do I have?

As I had mentioned above in regards to improvements, I believe every tool or application or databases for that matter can always use improvement. That's why we work in the field of data and/or IT, it's ever changing and improving, so we need to change and improve as well. Keep abreast of new things in the market and the improvements of the tools or apps you use on a daily basis. The last thing we want in our industry is to become complacent. Then again, we should never become complacent in any facets of our lives.
    Pre-Sales Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Active Online Community Provides Guidance, Decreasing Learning Curve

What other advice do I have?

Invest in the memory and RAM of the PC or server you intend to use with Tableau. Though most database sources are available for connection, you should still ensure you have all the necessary resources and connectors installed for proprietary databases.
    Advisor at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
    Provides Dynamic Adjustments Of Measures And Dimensions And GUI Makes It More User-Friendly

What other advice do I have?

The key point is if you would like to have faster, ad hoc and quick data visualizations, I would strongly recommend Tableau. But for enterprise-wide deployment and migration across different environments, I would say Tableau has room to improve further.
    Consulting Head
    Provides Many Alternatives For Presenting And Understanding A Business​

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy and an excellent solution. Even though this solution is, in my opinion, the best BI solution in the world, they are continuously developing their product, improving with every upgrade (and even with the minor upgrades).
    (2IC) Senior System Analyst at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides the story behind the data giving stakeholders the necessary insights and metrics

• "The ability to deploy is the added ability to centralise the Tableau repository for all Tableau Developers."
    • "We did have issues with Tableau 10.1 server with the brokers failing on heavy load but since moving to 10.2, then to 10.3, this issue seems to have been resolved and the environment is now quite stable."

What other advice do I have?

I’d strongly advise going to the forums, attending the Tableau conferences, and ask questions about governance, report certification, and capacity. These questions and the corresponding answers should guide you on how you would best implement your own solution. We did not want to be dictated to by Tableau to install it as a free for all. We wanted to future proof the product and provide certainty around the reports being developed and deployed to the business.
    BI & New Project Profesional at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Initial setup is ​straightforward, because of the quality and consistency of data

What other advice do I have?

Make your decision based on your own culture, quality of data, and champion for the project.
    BI Expert at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Access To Datasets Which Explore And Continuously Push The Envelope On New Inquiries

• "The Web Editing capabilities allow us to grant end users enough capabilities for them to do self-serve discovery without the added cost of needing to get everyone desktop licenses."
    • "At the organizational level, increasing the servers' capabilities to support us as an enterprise tool."

What other advice do I have?

First and foremost, outline the value proposition of BI. Getting a plan on whether you are going to go with a centralized, decentralized, or blended approach will help aid you in how you can maximize the tool. On its own merits, it is a great tool. Most failures come from a mismatch in the organizational needs and the implementation approach.
    Director, Analytics at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Has Ability To Share Reports And Analyses Quickly

What is most valuable?

Rapid visualization of data Interactive views connecting multiple data sources Reduces need for IT cycles (hours vs. weeks to create report) Ability to analyze problems quickly Ability to share reports and analyses quickly

How has it helped my organization?

Ability to focus staff on more analysis versus reporting More/Better/Faster analysis by staff

What needs improvement?

Pace of improvement to product has slowed. Most additions are now just nice to have.

More than eight years.

User at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Fast and easy data exploration that needs a fast DB or storing in proprietary format

What other advice do I have?

Everyone is always impressed with the charts that Tableau can produce. As well as the ability quickly modify them.
    Senior Principal at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it for data visualization, predictive analytics, and forecasting.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have your requirements and your use cases. You need to know what exactly you are trying to solve. You need to know the story that you are trying to tell. The business needs to know. If you are an IT organization, then you need to understand what the business is trying to do before you just go and start using the product. Tableau was able to handle the challenges that we've had, in terms of reporting and analytics. It's flexible enough, so that you can bring in other data and be able to quickly marry that data with what you have, report on it, and be able to tell the story…
    Consultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Easily the most user-friendly (particularly for non-technical users) BI Tool I’ve ever used.

What other advice do I have?

Assess the scalability using the Server set up, engage users of the tool independently through the Tableau Community for their ideas and advice on the pro’s and con’s of the tool. Even the biggest evangelists will be honest enough to tell you where it doesn’t meet their expectations.
    Delivery Planning & Implementation at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    The most valuable feature of Tableau is the possibility to provide an overall view of the analysis done and let the users get the visualization the way they need/want.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend using the trial version of Tableau before buy it. If you are not the type of person that is familiar with programming scripts, this is the perfect tool. It is really simple to create the first views, even though it will take a while to understand how some of the details work. Watching the tutorial videos helps too.
    Senior HR Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    The ease of blending data from multiple sources has allowed us to bring a different level of questions to the meeting table.

• "The data blending capabilities is a huge factor for our team."
    • "Formatting controls could use some improvement."

What other advice do I have?

The annual Tableau customer conference is a huge learning opportunity for new and seasoned users alike. The week-long conference provides a large number of workshops to help increase your skills and many of these sessions are hands-on training. Also a great way to network with other users and see how they are using Tableau.
    CEO with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Geo-encoding, shape content, cluster analysis, and cross-DB joins are helpful.

What other advice do I have?

We find that there is a new type of Tableau user emerging. These new users do not abide by the tenets of data visualization by thought leaders like Stephen Few. Hence, we created a blog for an open discussion comparing the work of the artist Jackson Pollock with this new generation. That blog is accessible below. http://www.viainsights.com/Blo... Note well: VIA Insights has no formal relationship with Tableau; we are completely independent.
    Director of Analytics at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to use and does not require IT skills.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a lot of databases to bring together, you might experience some ETL issues. But in the next release, version 10, the product will have a cross-join database, and that will help a lot to bring in many datasources.
    Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It helped us deliver dynamic visualizations and dashboards to our clients. Performance degraded when we scaled up backend data.

What other advice do I have?

It is very good for local standalone databases. Enterprise-level implementation degrades performance.
    Senior Engineer Business Intelligence with 10,001+ employees
    We already had an ETL solution in place, so Tableau complemented it well for our use cases.

What other advice do I have?

Tableau is more than a reporting tool; it has the analytical capabilities which need to be explored efficiently to get the best out of the tool. If you just want to replicate an Excel report, it would not help much in terms of ROI. Tableau is a very good analytical reporting solution. It is improving its features with every release.
    Assistant Manager at a pharma/biotech company
    We used it to automate the visualization process, so there are no longer manual errors. It didn't cater to each and every requirement within the team.

What other advice do I have?

It is a nice product and quick to get started, as compared to other products and technologies.
    President at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
    We used to have to create a SSIS package, then create an SSRS report, and meet with the users a few times before coming up with the final visualization product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that everyone use this product.
    Senior Business Analyst at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The ease with which users can visualize and share data has improved how we look at our metrics.

What other advice do I have?

It is well received when people see what it can do in transforming their data and metrics into meaningful displays that allow for greater insights.
    Assistant Manager - Solution Consulting at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    I like the geo charts and data connection features.

What is most valuable?

Geo charts Dashboards Data connections

How has it helped my organization?

Our decision-making process has been streamlined.

What needs improvement?

Real-time interactions need more attention. Predictive analytics capability should be increased.

I have been using it for 1.5 years.

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues.

I rate the level of customer service and technical support on the high side.

Initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented it. I prefer in house, as it is the best.

What other advice

Manager, Finance Operations at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    The usability allows a business user to prototype without going through IT.

What other advice do I have?

Get started using Tableau as it serves the purpose for most people.
    Data Analysis Team Leader at Viber
    There are some best-practice shortcuts for tables, which can facilitate implementation.

• "Easy for beginners to use"
    • "Tableau has many different connectors for different databases. It's very easy to connect to MySQL, SQL Server, Amazon EMR, Presto, Redshift, BigQuery, and so on."
    • "Lacks machine learning algorithms that you can implement using R, SPSS Modeler, and Python."

What other advice do I have?

Don't visualize more than 2M data points in a report. Use extracted data and not a direct connection to the database; it will run faster. Don't use too many sections in a report; 3-4 at most. Make most calculations during the ETL process and not in Tableau; every calculation that Tableau does will make the report go slower.
    Senior Engineer, Big-Data/Data-Warehousing at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    It is intuitive. Tech-savvy business people can run with it.

What other advice do I have?

Start ASAP with a tiny cohort of hungry users; let them drive it.
    Director, Strategic Data Analytics at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    We were able to shorten the delivery of data visualization and analysis projects.

What other advice do I have?

Beware of licensing costs, but it shouldn’t deter anyone from using this product. Even if you just use Tableau desktop to provide static data vis’s, it’s worth it.
    Sr. Database Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    You can publish dashboards with Tableau Desktop and share them throughout the organization.

What other advice do I have?

Really, it’s a great product, and very interesting. You will love the data you see when you use the product.
    EMEA Business Operations Analyst at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    It is easier to communicate ideas to people who are more visual in their thinking. It over-uses custom calculations to do simple format and other changes.
    Tableau Specialist, BI and ETL Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We use it for supply chain analytics for information on orders, bookings, landed costs freight analytics, and partner scores.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and use Tableau.
    BI Architect at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Best for Visual Analytics and a Viable Option for Large Enterprises.

What other advice do I have?

Before committing to Tableau, it is helpful to list the top problems you are trying to resolve. If most of your needs are in operational business intelligence, you might want to evaluate other tools in addition to Tableau. If you want to analyze data, discover insights, communicate your story with data, or impress your customers with great visualizations, Tableau is by far the best tool. For a successful Tableau adoption it is very important to have strong business user support and understanding the importance of data-driven decisions. Without the business user engagement, Tableau is just…
    Manager, Business Intelligence at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    You can drag and drop dimensions and measures in the view.
    Business Intelligence Analyst at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    For me, the ability to connect multiple data sources, and display said data in an automated, graphical, format is the key driving factor.

What other advice do I have?

Stick with the development process, try a report over and over, and use Google to search out answers to those questions you think have no answer. Take it from me, if you can build it in Excel, then you can build it in Tableau. It just takes time and effort. Also, it may not look EXACTLY the same, but you can get it pretty close. In some cases even better.
    IT Admin at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides a single dashboard that shows us learning performance in various geographic areas.
    Program Manager (Graduate Assistant) at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    With quick querying and ad-hoc visualization, we have automated processes.

What other advice do I have?

It totally depends on the requirement of the client/user. One should research the following tools before investing - Spotfire, Tableau, SSRS, Excel, SAS, SAP Lumira, etc.
    Solution Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Excellent for visually exploring data with unknown questions.

What other advice do I have?

Pick the right tool for the job/consumers of the products. There is not a single product that can cover all personas/use cases well or there would be only one product out there commanding the world – and there’s simply not just one. Tableau is great if the targeted users want highly polished visualizations of the data and from an exploration use case, the question(s) for the data are unknown.
    Principal Business Intelligence Analyst at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It starts with numbers, and then represents them as shapes.

What other advice do I have?

This is a visualization software. Make sure you are looking at total cost of ownership in the context of other BI infrastructure that is still needed to get good ROI. Management of data at an enterprise level is more than just visualization, and if all of those things are in place, this product shines. If you have dirty data, slow resources, governance problems, etc., this software is not designed to solve those problems, and those problems will stunt the usefulness you get out of Tableau.
    IT Admin at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
    It allows users to join multiple source files and create visualizations using fields from each of them.
    Tableau Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It allowed us to transition from static to dynamic reporting and from restricted to flexible visualizations.

What other advice do I have?

Buy it, implement it and stick with it for a sure and quick ROI.
    VP at EON group
    End users no longer have to wait for the IT department to develop data visualizations.

What other advice do I have?

At first, buy one or several copies (not 10's or 100's). Be an information worker who see and understand data by yourself without waiting an IT department support. Then, expand later
    Portfolio Analyst at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    The most valuable feature of this product is drag-and-drop visual analytics.

What other advice do I have?

For smaller organizations, Tableau Online would be a better solution. It is always up to date with the latest version, and no complex administrative duties are involved. For bigger organizations that prioritize data security over cloud infrastructure, Tableau Server could be considered, which would allow full control by the organization.
    BI Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Source-to-destination mapping identified opportunities for service quality improvements.

What other advice do I have?

People should be aware of the fact that Tableau doesn’t have a semantic layer. It takes a good amount of time to prepare the dataset / data structure. Once the dataset is ready, the data visualization part doesn’t take much time, even for a fairly complex dashboard, because the tool is very intuitive and easy to use.
    IT Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it for a complex dashboard design showing our raw material trend analysis.

What other advice do I have?

They must understand their real business goal and user’s needs or behavior for using the dashboard design. That impacts your tool’s usage and design approach. Try using Tableau Desktop anyway. Pay more attention to the Tableau community’s sharing or other experts’ design sharing on the website. It will give you many ideas or best design practices and reference.
    Senior Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Desktop is fairly intuitive and easy to get started with.

What other advice do I have?

The desktop is fairly intuitive and easy to get started with. Training (on the product, data viz/scientist) is needed for deeper analyses. As with any solution, do your homework. Understand what it is you’re trying to solve. Tableau is just one of many tools/solutions implemented across the company.
    Industry Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It allowed us to easily monitor adherence to workflows.

What other advice do I have?

The video tutorials available on the Tableau site are very helpful. We spent many hours watching both the step-by-step tutorials as well as the broader webinars highlighting an organization Tableau use case for education and ideas on novel dashboards/metrics to develop.
    Assistant Vice President, Institutional Analysis at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides beautiful visualizations, and it is easy to learn and use.

What other advice do I have?

Start now, start small and grow. This isn’t like your traditional BI platform, where you have to spend years designing the infrastructure before the first report comes out.
    Senior Marketing Manager, CRM at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Its visuals make more of an impact than numbers alone. It requires shifting how you communicate data, making it difficult to share via traditional methods.

What other advice do I have?

As with any software implementation, it's going to require learning, adoption and acceptance, so you want to temper your expectations of immediate success and reinforce the use of Tableau throughout your company.
    Partner at a tech services company
    Selecting an option in one widget automatically filters the other widgets in a dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking regularly for answers that are hidden inside your data - like 3-4 times in a week - then it is undoubtedly more valuable to take a shot with a BI solution (even if you don’t use Tableau). The speed; the deadlock dependency on your R&D resources leads to a loss of time. Tableau gave me the freedom to experiment with the hypothesis that I had.
    Director, Business and Clinical Analytics at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
    We manage an immense amount of data and it helps us quickly correlate multiple data sources to aid decision making.

What other advice do I have?

Utilize the trial version and test out functionality of the product. It’s very easy to get started and as you gain proficiency, you will want to learn more and develop more advanced solutions.
    Sole Proprietor at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    When mixing structured and unstructured ‘Big Data’, it suggests the best graph.

What other advice do I have?

Tableau is a very robust engine. As attractive as the speed to combine data sets is and the great visuals it can produce, it is well known that it is not an affordable product if you maintain small datasets. To use a phrase, you don’t need an army tank where a red wagon will do. Because of this, Tableau would need to have a Tableau-lite for smaller businesses, so that it wasn’t so hard to start using the tool, then as the business grows, so does the product if need be.
    IT Admin at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    One of its greatest strengths is that it can very quickly perform various analyses, tests and rules out different scenarios.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to consider change management, definition of roles and performance analysts. Tableau is a powerful tool for performing analyses and communicating them. We managed to empower the organization with Tableau and we are in the process of extending it to all the analytical community of our company. We can integrate with SAP BW and perform analysis of information. However, we have found it difficult to join elements of BW such as cubes or queries, but this promises to be resolved in the new version, Tableau 10. We are really pleased to have chosen Tableau as our ETL tool to support…
    Lead Business Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Dependency on the IT team has been reduced. Visualization and ease of use are the product’s most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Do not think twice about it; just go for it to find new insights in your data. There is a great future for this tool. It will help you perform basic statistical analysis. It will give you a different way to look at data structures.
    Business Intelligence Expert at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    It automatically suggests the best data representation.

What other advice do I have?

The product is probably not very suitable for standard corporate reporting, but if your users need analytical insight to data, it is an excellent solution.
    Data Warehouse Consultant Sr at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has good community support and useful training videos.

What other advice do I have?

Try the trial versions and explore all of the features before going in; it is very useful. Also, the training videos on their website are good.
    Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We evaluated Microsoft Excel and IBM Cognos: they are more time consuming, less efficient for generating reports, and more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Define the main purpose of using Tableau, and in which aspects.
    Manager - CRO at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    The way it incorporates user-level data with geographic mapping really helps in building strategy at the top-most level. For huge data sets, it takes a lot of time to load the data.
    Deputy Director, Global Sales Planning & Policy at a renewables & environment company with 10,001+ employees
    It enabled a small organization to employ a state-of-art reporting tool without massive IT implementation cost.

What other advice do I have?

On the desktop version, use the community forum wisely; you will be able to find enough support for 99% of your challenges.
    Performance Management Analyst at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has allowed analysts to “connect” more with the data they’re analyzing instead of just extracting the data.
    Senior Analyst at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    The drag-and-drop interface and its flexibility are the product's most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out to see if it suits your organisational needs. To make the product work as desired, know how it works and implement workaround solutions if that is not readily available.
    Technical Lead at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    It is a self-service tool that provides valuable data blending and storytelling features.

Valuable Features

Data blending Storytelling Easy-to-use dashboard

Improvements to My Organization

It is a self-service tool.

Room for Improvement

Enterprise deployment Prompting features Writeback to tables I’d like to see extraction after publishing.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for three years.

Development report publishing to the test server should have pointed to the test DB instead of the dev DB.

I rate the level of customer service and technical support 9/10.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Implementation Team

I implemented it independently.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

An Interworks license is required if you do not directly purchase it from Tableau.
    Developer with 501-1,000 employees
    It has provided more effective involvement of business users in defining business requirements and reporting needs.

What other advice do I have?

The best way to have a clear perception of the potential of this product is just downloading a trial version of the desktop application and play with it a few days. In my case, that experience was clearly decisive in making the decision to buy. Its desktop application is a beautifully designed tool - very powerful and intuitive. It allows a business user, with no knowledge of databases and query languages, to build in a matter of minutes complex and compelling visual dashboards that enable users to detect and highlight interesting patterns in data. The dashboards created can be published and…
    Business Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Most of the configurations are accessed by drag and drop, so very little actual programming is required.

What other advice do I have?

There is a public version you can implement for free. Its main restriction is the variety of data source connections that it supports. You can still work with the typical text or Excel files, but live database connections are not supported. I think it's great at what it tries to do.
    Lead Knowledge Analyst - Advanced Analytics at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    It was mainly helpful for visualizing proofs of concept for further implementations.

What other advice do I have?

Some very good and fancy visualisations are possible with "tricks" (not very obvious how to do it). It is very helpful to use the Tableau community to see if the visualisation one is looking for is possible and how to do it. There are also many ways to get to a result, so don't look for one perfect solution as long as you get what you want.
    Assistant Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    With its data blending feature, we take transaction data from the DB and goals data from an Excel file, and it easily blends the information.

What other advice do I have?

If you've previously used other BI tools, you need to be aware that Tableau doesn't have any semantic layer like OBIEE or BO. So, you might have to write lot of queries if the report involves complex logic.
    Founder, Director, Srinivasan Software Solutions Pvt., Ltd. at a tech vendor
    It has excellent mobile support. Good customer support as well.

What other advice do I have?

Proceed in a step-by-step manner of engaging users to find the best solution for the business. Be prepared to explore for yourselves how to analyse needs according to market trends, with the highest level of security management. Each and every step should be recorded and performed based on cross-domain analysis, so that it will be easy to implement in any kind of scenario.
    Industry Analyst at a construction company
    Workbooks are easy to export and share without additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great visualization tool, but not only that: It simplifies implementing new reports and maintaining them, combining a great way of looking at data with flexibility never seen in other tools.
    Director at a tech services company
    It has extended the native capabilities of various type of data sources (database, big data).

What other advice do I have?

Try it first by downloading the trial license. You will love it and experience how easy it is to use the product.
    Business Intelligence Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    We evaluated other solutions, and selected Tableau mainly because of the licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

Tableau is a user-friendly product, but I think that is very important to consider a well-organised training program based on the user roles (administrators, super users, information consumers, etc.).
    Manager Business Intelligence and Analytics at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It connects to data sources without needing to develop a reporting or meta-data layer.

What other advice do I have?

Find a couple of good, quick-win use cases and don't necessarily re-create the dashboard or report in Tableau, but find a way to tell something about the business that wasn't already known.
    Director
    MSP
    We were able to drill down from sales territories to analyze product sales at individual retail outlets by adding more dimensions to the data.

What other advice do I have?

IMO, I don’t think any client can isolate an analytics tool and derive an ROI that stands up to scrutiny. I usually start by looking at a company’s annual report and I look for the transformational initiatives. E.g. They want more mobile capabilities, more real-time decision making, etc. I use that as the entry-point for discussion around capabilities, not a discussion of technical features and I look for real-world use cases to develop a solution architecture. My advice to clients is always: Start with a clear goal in mind, generate some quick wins, and grow the environment from there. The…
    Technology Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Enables different teams and removes their dependency on the IT team.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product. Easy to implement and use.
    Data Warehouse Manager at a university with 10,001+ employees
    We use it to illustrate trends in cash balances, research grant expenditure trends, and student metrics and performance.

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of competition brewing with other visualization providers that may be at better cost points. Definitely go in and deep dive/experience the other solutions. Though Tableau has a great reputation for ease of use, there definitely is a learning curve to optimize it, and other solutions like Microsoft Power BI and Qlik are making progress.
    BI & Digital Transformation Consultant at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    It provides more visually appealing reports for management.

What is most valuable?

In-database analytics is the product’s most valuable feature to me.

How has it helped my organization?

Tableau provides more visually appealing reports for management.

What needs improvement?

- HA feature is missing - Better scalability

I have been using it for three years.

I encountered stability and HA issues.

Technical support is 9 /10.

I previously used MicroStrategy, which is a real BI tool.

Initial setup was complex: report creation, installation, automation, report changes...

What about the implementation

Architect-Technology at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The drag and drop feature that provides self-service analytics with absolutely no coding is the most important feature.

What other advice do I have?

Use this tool with the right use cases. Use your creativity to build dashboards. It’s a great tool for data discovery.
    Solution Engineer - QlikView/Qlik Sense at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    It offers storyboarding and a responsive design. It needs to allow for more complexity in data joins and creation.

What other advice do I have?

Standardization in design/development is crucial. FULL communication and documentation with EVERYONE is needed. I don’t know how much time has been lost or efforts duplicated because of a lack of all this.
    Senior Business Analyst at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has simpler, cleaner and story-telling charts. Tableau requires less lead-time to develop charts and integrated dashboards for predictive analytics.

What other advice do I have?

If you have more developers/technical people and want to do more standard reporting without Hadoop, go for QlikView; if you have more business users with some SQL knowledge and would like to do predictive analytics, and integration with big data platform Hadoop, go for Tableau.
    BI Specialist at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
    It has a Sense-Me tool that indicates the most appropriable graphic to use with the selected dimension and measure information.

What other advice do I have?

Just test before you buy. All BI platforms have a lot of functionalities and, also, a lot of needs.
    IT Admin at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    It supports multiple languages well. When I develop a dashboard in English or Japanese, it can display time differently based on the language you choose.
    Business Analyst at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I can upload custom images and icons for visualizations.

What other advice do I have?

Analyze the business need and end users first, and then go for implementing Tableau. Simple reporting can be done in IBM Cognos or various other tools available in the market. What Tableau can bring to the table: better visualizations, ease of use (in case the end users are business guys and not technical folks) and advanced analysis capabilities.
    Tableau/Data Visualization Specialist, Reporting & Analytics at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Highly interactive and intuitive data discovery: helps people see and explore their data.
    Data Analyst at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It’s a good way to visualize complex Google Analytics data in a user-friendly way.

What other advice do I have?

Choose Tableau if your aim is to provide yourself or your end users with an opportunity for simple and effective data analysis, with minimal education and maximum results.
    Lead Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Easy and intuitive chart creation. Easy conversion between different chart types and crosstabs.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It is an excellent product for the majority of analyses. However, for complex reports and decision support cases, custom application development might be needed.
    VP Associate Director at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    It shortened the interval between raw data and actionable insight.

What other advice do I have?

It makes sense to implement it in tandem with Alteryx. Use Alteryx to clean / prep data, and then visualize in Tableau. Tableau is not the place to try to clean / join data.
    Management Consultant at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It provides the ability to analyze data patterns in more visual dimensions than are possible in Excel.

What other advice do I have?

This product is the best visualization solution on the market. My rating is based on ease of use, visual appeal and additional functionality over Excel.
    Director with 501-1,000 employees
    Scalable and flexible for producing visualizations.

What other advice do I have?

To get the best from Tableau you need: * Data preparation suitable for analytics applications. (This is not Tableau specific, the same is required for pretty much all analytics apps.) * People bouncing off each other to get the creative process going. Consider internal show & tells and take advantage of local user groups * Subscribe to "Viz of the Day” to get exposure to as many viz's as possible * Tableau is (I believe) the best tool for data visualization. Equally consider investing n the best tools for data preparation, such as Alteryx. The combination of best data prep with best analytics…
    Data Visualization and BI Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Drag-and-drop development process facilitates rapid dashboard and report development.

What other advice do I have?

This is the best product in this category, among all BI tools available in market; top ranked as per Gartner's Magic Quadrant report.
    Senior Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It does not require coding or complicated settings, so it is easier for business analysts and directors to find solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Tableau is a good and growing tool in the business analytics world. It’s good to have it, but always compare and find out whether this tool meets your requirements.
    VP, Business Insights at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It can produce easily readable cross tabs and paretos on-the-fly.

What other advice do I have?

The Tableau on-demand learning resources are fantastic to help a new user get going. There is a robust user community that is very generous with their time and knowledge to help you get through the learning curve.
    Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The live connection to data and publishing are the most valuable features of Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

The most important thing that people need to know is that Tableau is ONLY a visualization tool (the best in the market). Don’t confuse it with other business intelligence, big data or data analytics tools. If you want to do fast and good looking customizable and interactive visualizations on data from one or multiple sources, Tableau is your tool.
    Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    For shifting dashboard and analysis development to your users, it seems to be the best choice.

What other advice do I have?

If you are planning to implement self-service BI in your organization, I see Tableau as the best fit, but you will need to find a good tool for ETL. Also, if you are required to develop financial reports etc., Tableau might not help you much. Nonetheless, you can run a Tableau solution without needing a lot of IT involvement. Tableau needs some improvement in its organization-wide deployment capabilities. Qlik Sense (a new tool by Qlik) tries to be like Tableau, but if you want something like Tableau, you better go for Tableau.
    Product Manager - Emory University (Tableau) at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Data cleaning: helpful in showing you where there are holes or mistakes in your data.

What other advice do I have?

It does require you to think about your data in a slightly different way as this is totally different than Excel, so take a little extra time when starting out. Tableau helps people see and understand their data, answering valuable business questions and giving insight into mountains of information collected over time.
    Analyst at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    The best feature of Tableau is its simple GUI with drag-and-drop feature.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the budget, go for it. It’s the best money can get you. I have loved working with Tableau for its simplicity and ability to handle large volumes of data. However, it’s a bit too expensive.
    Business Analyst at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    I am still testing the product before I ask my team to use it. It’s most likely going to be one of our tools.

What other advice do I have?

I would say Tableau is a good product to use for data visualization. I recommend it for that and for data analysis.
    GSDC Consultant at a consultancy
    It helps us more effectively understand data and quickly generate insights.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity User friendly

How has it helped my organization?

This tool helps in understanding data in a visually better form and generate insights quickly.

What needs improvement?

Add calculated columns in the edit text box like in Spotfire.

I have been using it for two years.

I have not encountered any serious deployment, stability or scalability issues.

Customer service and technical support are excellent.

I have used Spotfire. The two main reasons to use Tableau over Spotfire are the ease of working with it and the availability of an…
    QA Manager at Tandicorp
    The integration with R for more complex algorithms in analytical data is nice.
    Business Intelligence Specialist with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It helps you reach the specific chart that you need and you can add any kind of additional data at any time.

What other advice do I have?

They should read about compatibility. Before implementing Tableau, they should meet with the business users and ask: * What are your needs in business intelligence? * Do you have some information silos? * Is the generation of information a manual process? The BI area should perform a self-assessment of a business intelligence roadmap in order to plan the development of the product, the areas involved in the pilot, the information needed to achieve the business goals and define the final architecture for the BI deployment in the near future.
    VP Strategy, Global Delivery & Operations at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    End users do not require BI developers for ad-hoc reports. It would help to be able to add custom code to the dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

It is a nice visual and high performance all-in-one BI tool which is becoming more popular with its ease of use and user-friendly features, effective visuals and apt major functionalities of BI. However, it depends on one’s requirements and budget to balance the need. We would recommend using it for mid-size datasets to visualize near real-time data, as there is no control over the execution model.
    IT Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    ​It placed the power of dashboards and scorecard development in the hands of business people, so there's less dependency on developers.​

What other advice do I have?

It's very user friendly and its self-service approach helps business users to develop dashboards in no time. The learning curve is very short - lot of learning resources available. Still need to do some catch-up on enterprise administration and Mobile friendly reporting e.g Android App is not yet available - expected to be released 10.0. Tableau releases frequent major releases three to four versions per year, and monthly patch fix releases, so plan a strategy that you want to follow. We are generally one to two releases behind so we can keep up with them, and at the same time leveraging all…
    Technology Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    It lets power users like engineers create visuals on their data without waiting on a longer IT project timeline.

What other advice do I have?

Plan how you need to organize and secure content up front. It’s too much work later when it becomes popular. Be sure to plan and budget for more client license bundle purchases as user growth approaches critical mass. Otherwise, you’ll be putting them on a wait list and waiting for management to approve more spending. Managing a lack of licenses is not fun.
    Business Analytics Specialist at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    ​It’s an excellent tool to quickly build visualizations supporting QA and data validation activities.​

What other advice do I have?

It’s excellent for desktop analysis but make sure to include other tools in your evaluation if you are looking for enterprise support features.
    Managing Member at Christina M. Durta, CPA, LLC
    The ability to make interactive graphs, tables, and maps that can be shared on social media, linked to, or embedded on a website are the most valuable features.
    Planning Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Access to data from Oracle and managing large data volumes is easier than Excel.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great solution to present data, and our directors love to work with it.
    Consultant Director at DataBound Solutions
    It makes it possible to share dashboards with a team.​

What other advice do I have?

Understand your organization's profile. Do you have or want/need to develop power-users or will you use traditional IT developed dashboards in an intranet/internet? Although Tableau can fit both scenarios, the first option would be the most benefited one when compared to other solutions. Look into redefining the relationship between business stakeholders and IT, since the former will demand more consumable information for analysis instead of packaged reports.
    Assistant Manager Infrastructure at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We've had no problems with deployment or stability and have had no need to contact customer or technical support, but our use has been only academic over the past 6 months.

Improvements to My Organization

The use is only academic, for the moment.

Use of Solution

I've used it for six months.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: I've not needed to contact them. Technical Support: I've not needed to contact them.

It was easy to setup.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

BIME QlikView SiSense
    CEO with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's an intuitive tool for the average user, yet provides complex and deep analytics for the advanced user. There are, however, some unnecessary redundancies for certain functions.

What other advice do I have?

* Go slow and methodically * You must consider size of the company and types of users * Desktop Plus server users - understand the constraints on the backend, and make sure you have enough CPU power * There's lots of free stuff on their website that's great for the average user.
    Web Administrator at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It allows you to manipulate and depict data in various ways, but the integration of multiple data sources is sometimes not that straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely understand your data structure before using Tableau. Tableau allows you to manipulate and depict data in various ways, as long as you have proper, well structured input.
    Senior Manager of IT at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The connection to the SQL data was straightforward, but the integration of multiple data sources has sometimes been difficult.

What other advice do I have?

1. Understand your business hierarchies intimately. 2. Create flattened data files for roll-ups. 3. Be prepared to clean and process data prior to use.
    Business Intelligence Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    It is a very powerful tool, but there is not enough control over the order in which filters and sorts are applied.

What other advice do I have?

Tableau is a very powerful and flexible product, it also demands some level of skill on the part of the user. When compared with Domo for example, the end result in its standard form is more flexible, is able to put more information in a single view, and offers more user interactivity. However the other side of this coin is that in its standard form, it is much less accessible to less skilled users. We have managed to develop an interface that is as accessible as Domo, but this has been quite a complex and time-consuming task.
    Analyst in XBRL Projects at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

All the features are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We plan to empower users with Enterprise BI and Self Service BI by Tableau.

It is still in our evaluation to replace our old BI tools.

We used Infobeacon and now we are using Cognos and Microsoft BI. We are currently looking for a better product.

What other advice do I have?

Quality of data, flexibility and the performance of the tool(s) are the critical aspects of BI. Test the critical aspects by doing a proof of concept using a huge amount of data.
    Founder, CEO, & President at Krystal Sekurity
    It has rich graphics but the processing speed could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Rich graphics Dashboard

How has it helped my organization?

Trends Opportunities Automated reporting

What needs improvement?

Faster implementation Processing speed

I've used it for six months.

Not really.

It felt a bit slow.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: I haven't needed to call them.

We used Cognos BI which was fast but a bit complex.

We…
    Business Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    The ability to quickly pull together data sources into a meaningful display is valuable but there are stability problems on iMacs.

What other advice do I have?

Get some help to evaluate the options and identify the opportunities, find a test case to demonstrate the benefits, engage the IT team early.
    Business Manager (Exco level) & Executive Director at a retailer with 51-200 employees
    URL to a comparison of "2 BI giants"
    I found a comparison at the following URL - thought it might be worth sharing https://www.experfy.com/blog/qlikview-vs-tableau-re...
    Oracle OBIEE v12.x, v11.x SME Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    Prototyping is valuable but it can be difficult if you want to present reports as numbers and tables.

What other advice do I have?

As a consultant, ALL BI tools use phrases like 'it empowers the end user', 'end users can create reports in minutes', etc. However, in the real world, end users can create SOME reports once middle layers are built, training is given, limitations and security is imposed, etc. For a complete system, IT departments and consultants must install, set up, create initial works and then have SOME power end users involved. NO tool bypasses this and gives all to end users - and if it did, security would be lax.
    BI Analyst/Engineer/Process lead at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The future of BI Tools is here with Tableau.
    Financial Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    We have repeatedly had trouble importing raw data with predetermined structure. Best aspect is the data flexibility.

What other advice do I have?

You will need a team comprised of programmers, developers, user experience specialists and customer service representatives.
    Engineer-Product Development with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Compared to OBIEE, Tableau is more visually appealing and has less performance issues.

What other advice do I have?

People should use Tableau because it is fast and visualizations will be rich.They can reduce the resource cost as reports can be done by a small team and does not require too much technical expertise.
    Sr. Tableau Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Valuable: Actions, Paramaters, Maps. Needs Improvement: Dashboard Version Control, Report Bursting

What is most valuable?

Actions, Story Dashboard, Parameters, maps

How has it helped my organization?

Self service tool and ease of implementation

What needs improvement?

Dashboard Version Control, Report Bursting, More capabilities on maps.

I'm currently using Tableau Desktop and Server 8.2. I've been using Tableau for 7 years.

No issues with deployment.

Sometimes have issues with stability which are dependent on network bandwidth, latency and user logon from multiple browsers

No issues with scalability.

Customer…
    Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
    Tableau is an excellent data discovery and visualisation tool, enabling intuitive data analysis without formal training.

What other advice do I have?

Assess your own strengths and create a preferred architecture. Then see if Tableau fits some of your needs. For anything significant in scale you will need a robust underlying data architecture, it won’t do all of your ETL. While it is possible to create and deploy artifacts very quickly without formal training, it is worth sourcing some to help you leverage the best features of the product.
    BI Consultant, Author, Trainer on Tableau Software, Speaker with 51-200 employees
    Top Reviewer
    I would like to see some additional calculation functions but no one has come close to unseating Tableau

What other advice do I have?

Start NOW, In the free, full offering trial (2 weeks), coupled with the free on-demand training and passionate & active user community, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish. Many find they PAY for it, BEFORE they buy it! If you need help, there is Tableau Support, Tableau Consulting and a bunch of us in the independent world, all ready to assist.
    CRM Manager at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
    Helps understand data in seconds with lower cost.

What is most valuable?

Included data engine, work interface.

What needs improvement?

Include new graph views in Tableau, increase dual axis - sync of only two axis isn't enough.

1 year

No, but I have no experience in Tableau Server deployment

Yes, in v8.1 there was a problem with changing bg color of sheets and dashboards (TD shutdown)

In v8.1 there was a problem with big Excel files - for ex: if you have an Excel spreadsheet with three sheets and more then 300,000 rows in each one and you want to add it as one datasource linked by one key field - your Tableau Desktop will…
    Project Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Fantastic visualizations & dashboarding capability but some basic ETL functionality will do a world of good

Valuable Features

Fantastic visualizations & dashboarding capability, ease of use for business users.

Room for Improvement

It is meant as a visualization tool agreed, but some basic ETL functionality will do a world of good. Also, enterprise collaboration and embedded analytics (like Spotfire) would be great

Use of Solution

3 years

Yes, hierarchies and cube definitions are not retained while connecting to an OLAP DB.

Yes, certain features cause Tableau to hang repeatedly - for example, editing the data source to point to another extract. Certain issues with data blending exist as well.

Lots of care including design/caching required to ensure quick reports while handling large amounts of data.

Customer Service and

Getting People to Click
    Thoughts on Standard Business Practices, User Expectations, Tableau’s Server Pricing Model, and Appealing to the Consumer’s Inner Narcissist. In my six-plus years of using Tableau I’ve created hundreds of dashboards and thousands of interactive visualizations.  In observing these creations out in the field I noticed something rather disappointing – the vast majority of people for whom the systems were created were not interacting with these so-called interactive dashboards. I’ve made a lot of progress in getting people / organizations over this hurdle (see https://www.datarevelations.com/hey-your-tableau-public-viz-is-ugly-and-confusing.html for some thoughts on the matter) but I realize that there is a very stubborn, business-as-usual mentality that is slowing down the adoption of…
    BI Expert at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
    Why I Love Tableau
    I love Tableau because they took the time to design a solution that allows me, a plain old analyst, to produce reports that help management make sound decisions on business practices. Now let me define 'plain old analyst': - Masters in Demography. - Advanced statistical research - Published in peer-reviewed journals - Courses in SPSS (grad school), Excel, Access, VBA, SQL, and SSAS (in that order). I am not a DBA or a Business Systems Analyst. I do not work in IT. And I'm not that old. Disclaimer: This is not intended as a braggy or defensive rant; rather I hope that by understanding who the average Tableau analyst user is, you will understand our passion for this product. I'm an analyst because I love using data to help Directors and Managers figure out solutions…
    BI Expert at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
    Top 3 Tableau Fears
    Yup. It exists. And it comes in many forms. I've done a lot of Tableau presentations to managers and analysts over the past couple of years and the same concerns keep cropping up. - The Elusive Single Version of the Truth - (the Sasquatch of data fear) This one is usually expressed by upper management frustrated with being confused about the numbers they are being presented with and having to ask for all the details about the data in order to trust that taking action on those numbers will be worthwhile and/or safe. Those of us in the analysts army know that this is a red herring and has absolutely nothing to do with Tableau or any other tool. There is no single version of the truth. There are 'truths within context'. A problem exists when that context isn't transparent.…
    Dylan’s Gone Electric – Emotional reactions to Tableau 8
    Bob Dylan – folk hero to thousands if not millions  – caused a furor when he appeared at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival with … an electric guitar! If you read about the incident you’ll discover that there was a mammoth sense of betrayal within the folk-centric fold.  How could their hero embrace rock music? I thought about this musical misstep / milestone when I first read Stephen Few’s rant over Tableau “veering from the path” for allowing two unworthy visualization types and one unworthy visualization implementation to sully Tableau’s latest release (see http://www.perceptualedge.com/blog/?p=1532). Ironically, I was saddened and disappointed — betrayed is too strong a word — by Few himself over his recent dashboard design competition (see…
    Senior Developer at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Fast, quick, powerful rich data visualisations that can be shared across our institute. Best software I've ever used.

What other advice do I have?

Download the free demo, connect to some data and play with it. See for yourself how easy and quick it is to produce something that previously took you days to to. Look on public.tableausoftware.com to see what other people have made it with.
    BI Expert with 51-200 employees
    BIME vs. Tableau Comparison
    1.1 General This document compares two BI tool players in the Big Data arena – Tableau (http://www.tableausoftware.com/) and BIME (http://www.bimeanalytics.com/). 1.2 Comparison: BIME vs. Tableau Parameter BIME Tableau Details Visualization 8 9 Many types of graphs and visualization objects Ad-Hoc 9 9 In both tools, a Semantic Layer pane allows for quick data exploration and manipulation Canned Reports 8 8 Both tools support the ability to crete and consume…
    Business Applications Architect at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Tableau has enabled us to make some important business decisions about market potential and product development.
    Pros: - Tableau can be used to retrieve data from multidimensional relational databases, spreadsheets and from cloud databases. - Simple to develop worksheets and dashboards. Cons: - Didn't come across any yet, but yet we are still trying out many features. Deployment: Deployment was very easy and went through the installation videos and documentation prior to installation. The training documents that are available online are very detailed and interactive. The instructors were very clear and concise in their presentations and demos and it was very easy to understand. Business Metrics: We have implemented dashboards for web analytics and were able to analyze the international market potential for our future product line, and reorganized the key team players to implement the…
    Top Reviewer
    Places great emphasis on the ability to create visualizations without the need for any technical skills
    Tableau is charting, graphing and data analysis with go-faster stripes. It has obvious appeal, with prolific amounts of eye-candy and a relatively easy to use interface. As with other products of this nature its utility is firmly anchored in visual exploration of data using every format imaginable. It is not a data mining tool or a text analytics tool, but sits in the traditional business intelligence camp, albeit with a rich visual interface. It is positioned as one of a new breed of BI tools designed to deliver pervasive BI capability throughout the organization, or at least to those who need such tools. The entry level product is Tableau Public, available as a throttled down free version, or in a Premium version with fewer restrictions. It is primarily targeted at the creation of…
    Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Qlikview vs Tableau? I have to choose and I’m not sure
    Most users love Excel, non-users hate it. When it comes to data visualization, Excel is generally dispised, except by those that have to make dozens of charts every single day. I call this the Excel Stockolm Syndrome. These are the forsaken data visualization users that keep making 3D pies when they should know better by now. Tired and overwhelmed. Not in the mood the learn yet another tool just to make those elusive “effective charts”. If you link good visualization to a tool they have no access to, you can be sure that the whole message is lost. Becoming a Data Visualization Anarchist I think things can be changed from the inside, improving the way people use Excel. I write for Excel users because I’m one of them. That’s not going to change soon. But I love data visualization, not the…
    Director of Data Analytics at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Can connect direct to transactional data. They really worked to provide data vizualization for the data to tell a story. This is their strong point. Their performance is good as long as your not bringing in multiple data sources that have complex joints. Really easy to use. A business can learn and adapt to it really quickly. Easy to bring in and train.
    BI Expert with 1,001-5,000 employees
    One major area where Tableau fell short for us is authentication
    One major area where Tableau fell short for us is authentication. We would like LDAP (or Windows AD) SSO authentication to the server based Tableau product. We also want Tableau to handle authentication methods back to data sources like SQL Server or SAP BW other than a hardcoded ID/password. At this point I think the product falls a little short. Our workaround is dumping data to text files and then integrate in Tableau at that level. That extra step prevents us from looking at Tableau as an enterprise reporting/analytical tool. We have passed this info to Tableau support and are waiting to see how the product develops going forward.
    Developer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Tableau 8 is here: A quick review of my favorite features.
    When you say Business Intelligence it often conjures up different visions. For example, when I tell people I work in BI, I get reactions ranging from blank stares to “Oh…so computer stuff,” to my personal favorite, my barber asking if that meant corporate espionage. While I do like to entertain the image of myself as a slightly geeky (and perhaps less fit) James Bond, it probably isn’t what most people think of when they think of working in Business Intelligence. My bet would be that the image in most people’s minds is probably a visual of an analytic dashboard. Dashboards, after all, are the face of Business Intelligence. The software that enables us to convert raw data into dashboards is crucial to enabling business users to consume information in a user-friendly form and then…
    Business Development Staff at a media company with 51-200 employees
    Powerful quick change of data sets and visualization output.

Valuable Features:

Very nice visualization product. Easy to learn and use; powerful quick change of data sets and visualization output.

Room for Improvement:

Price is not cheap...not awful though. (That's why it gets 5 stars.)
    Industry Analyst with 51-200 employees
    The future of BI in two words
    Disclosure: I am an industry analyst focused on self-service business intelligence and data analysts. QlikView and Tableau user. Current clients include QlikView, Spotfire, and Tableau. What’s the future of BI? Last fall, one sharp source of mine answered, “Two words: Tableau and QlikView. You didn’t hear it here.” Those are startling words coming from that source, a well-regarded BI consultant known for big-name clients and their big deployments. At about the same time, a column of mine appeared in Information Management titled “Don’t call it BI” — in which I mentioned Tableau and a few smaller tools. A reader emailed, “You should also become familiar with QlikView.” My many Tableau-using friends say QlikView is hardly worth a look. Poor visualization! Control panels!…
    BI Expert at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great visualization that connects to many different data sources. But expensive and performance can be tricky.
    Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Great for users trying to perform data visualization with just Excel, but lacks control for some organizations
    Pretty Pictures of BI: Tableau There is an emerging genre of BI tools built specifically for business users to perform visual data discovery. The user interfaces are designed to be intuitive and the features simple. These software products are meant to require little if any training. Architecturally, many provide in-memory analysis for high performance. Of course, these "exploration" tools are also not intended to be full enterprise BI platforms. Instead, they are complementary to more robust products. You will not replace your existing BI products (SAP Business Objects, IBM Cognos, IBI WebFOCUS, MicroStrategy, etc.) with the limited scope of visualization software but you might consider supplementing them. Competitive Vendors The main data exploration products…
    Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Straightforward installation and modern interface, but not cheap for personal use
    I spend most of my time with clients trying to get more out of their existing tools, more often than not some combination of an ERP tool (JDEdwards, SAP etc.) a selection of more “pure” databases such as Oracle, Access, SQL and a lot of spreadsheets. All of these tools have well understood strengths and weaknesses. One common issue is the effort required for data visualisation. Just to be clear, when I say data visualisation, I mean the presentation of data in a graphic format so that trends, insights and results can be easily and quickly extracted by the reader. Excel is fine, especially as most of us are very familiar with it, but it has definite limitations. Try putting 10,000 data points on a scatter plot or add interactivity to your chart and you’ll see what I mean. I’ve taken a…
    Project Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Tableau is excellent for visualizing pre-built data or data that are already organized

What other advice do I have?

• Graphical representation of data - refers to the aggregation of data in a relevant and easy to read • Customizable Maps: Table 7 allows correlation with geographical indicators displayed by different colors. Each geographical area will receive a predefined color. For example, if economic growth in Spain it will receive colors depending on the level of growth • Related Charts: It is possible that in one chart to be visible all the variations. • In addition to the possibilities of visual correlation with indicators of geographical areas, the new version of BI offers a number of other new…
    Download our free Tableau Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.