Talend Data Quality OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Talend Data Quality is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Scrubbing Software. It is most often compared to Alteryx: Talend Data Quality vs Alteryx

What is Talend Data Quality?
The data quality tools in Talend Open Studio for Data Quality enable you to quickly take the first big step towards better data quality for your organization: getting a clear picture of your current data quality. Without having to write any code, you can perform data quality analysis tasks ranging from simple statistical profiling, to analysis of text fields and numeric fields, to validation against standard patterns (email address syntax, credit card number formats) or custom patterns of your own creation.

Download the Data Quality Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Talend Data Quality Customers
Aliaxis, Electrocomponents, M¾NCHENER VEREIN, The Sunset Group
Talend Data Quality Video

Archived Talend Data Quality Reviews (more than two years old)

Jyoti Wilson
ETL/SQL Developer
We found the Portal installation straightforward. However, it stopped working one day and we still cannot bring it back up and running, even with a reinstall.

• "With its frequency function, we were able to pick a line of business to be addressed first in one of our conversion projects."
  • "We have used value frequency and patterns. We have been it impressed with these functions as they have helped us in making decisions in transformation work."
  • "The Studio is easy to understand."
  • "You can't join more than two tables for analysis."
  • "SQL for displaying underlying data in non-match results does not work."
  • "In redundancy analysis, the query is failing to bring non-matched records. This query is an internal script. There is no way (that I know of) to fix this syntax error for future runs."

What is our primary use case?

We have a legacy system (Wins + DB2), which stores all our data.

For reporting purposes (from SQL), we need to analyze data. We use it for making decisions, for example, if we want to display data elements in our reports based on if a column ever gets a value entered by user or what are distinct values that we are receiving for transformation purposes.

We use it to check patterns, like zip code, state codes, and phone numbers.

We also check data value frequency for business decision in mapping from one system to another.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Displaying columns, which are not part of join, in redundancy analysis.
  • You can't join more than two tables for analysis.
  • SQL for displaying underlying data in non-match results does not work.

Less than one year.

We have not worked extensively on this tool to comment on its scalability.

We have not used technical support for DQ.

We were using an SQL and Excel combination.

We did not purchase a separate license for DQ. It is part of our data platform suite, and I believe it is well-priced.

No. But we use Talend DI and ESB so wanted to explore this feature as well.

What other advice do I have?

The Studio is easy to understand. The analysis and reports are easy to build as well. We have been using it for the past four to six months now. We do not have many analyses created though. Since our Portal is not working, we are not using it to its full potential, which I want us to use. Therefore, this product has room for improvement.

it_user848511
VP of Professional Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enables robust data matching, merging, Data Stewardship; needs operationalization of meta data

• "The solution enables robust data matching, merging, survivorship, and Data Stewardship that can be a part of data quality workflows or true master data management."
  • "Needs integrated data governance in terms of dictionaries, glossaries, data lineage, and impact analysis. It also needs operationalization of meta-data."

What is our primary use case?

• Fixing data by using regular expressions or synonyms and Data Stewardship.
  • Using data profiling to gauge the quality of the data before and after it’s used/needed.
  • Master Data Management - Authoring and matching survivorship, including Data Stewardship.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows our customers to master and expand their products to an international scale. In addition, it enables customers to consolidate multiple, disparate sources of data into a centralized, master data hub which can used for operations or analytics.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Needs integrated data governance in terms of dictionaries, glossaries, data lineage, and impact analysis. It also needs operationalization of meta data.

Three to five years.
Find out what your peers are saying about Talend, Experian, Informatica and others in Data Quality. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dries Nuyts
Data Consultant at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Leaderboard
Visual jobs are easier to understand than a piece of Java code and improve collaboration between colleagues

• "It’s easy to monitor the processes. Every morning I’ll open the Talend Administration Center to check the status of the process. Within seconds I’m able to see which process ran successfully and which have failed and why they failed."
  • "The jobs are visual and this has improved collaboration between colleagues. It’s much easier to understand a visual job than a piece of Java code."
  • "The numerous components provided by Talend mean you’re able to create jobs quickly and efficiently."
  • "I really like the fact that there are no out-of-the-box solutions regarding the development of jobs. Other vendors may have modules which cleanse your addresses. In Talend, you have the freedom to completely develop the process yourself. This can be tricky, but it also makes it fun."
  • "When we upgraded to Version 6.4.1, we tried using a GIT repository instead of a SVN repository. After a few incidents where things disappeared and changes were not saved, we decided to go back to a SVN repository."
  • "If we encounter issues, it’s most likely when using the Talend Open Studio. The studio can be slow, get stuck, or crash. But again, it can be caused by the resources of your machine or your connection with the repository. If we encounter issues with the Studio we restart the Studio. In emergencies, we create and use a new workspace."

What is our primary use case?

We’ve created an MDM-like system. The MDM hub is built on an Oracle Database. The system is retrieving data from different sources like files, a Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle DB. The data is being processed by our cleansing process. We’re using Talend DQ components, web services, and custom Java code to clean our data. Once the data is cleansed, we load it into the MDM hub where the records are matched and consolidated. The consolidated records are then written back to specific target sources.

How has it helped my organization?

We’re also able to respond much more quickly to changes and demands from the business. We can create and change jobs quickly. When the business wants new data for a report, we can provide the data within hours.

What is most valuable?

The numerous components provided by Talend. With these components you’re able to create jobs quickly and efficiently.

I also really like the fact that there are no out-of-the-box solutions regarding the development of jobs. Other vendors may have modules which cleanse your addresses. In Talend, you have the freedom to completely develop the process yourself. This can be tricky, but it also makes it fun.

Three to five years.

Never had any real issues with the Talend server applications. The only issues we had were related to the limited resources of our development and test environments. Nothing a restart couldn’t fix.

All my projects have been relatively small. I have never needed to scale.

My experiences with support have been quite good. I’ve never had issues which weren’t resolved, or where I had the feeling that they didn’t have the knowledge to help me. Depending on the location of the support engineer, it can be a bit difficult to communicate.

I’ve never used another solution.

Talend provides an installer which makes the installation straightforward.

If you want to tweak the installation you’ll need some knowledge of the different third-party applications like Tomcat, Elasticsearch, Kafka, etc. Some of the tweaks are documented in the Installation guide.

I have never had to deal with pricing and licensing. But I would advise to first take a look and at the Open Studio edition. Figure out what you need and purchase the appropriate license.

My company had already partnered with Talend before I started. We’re also using Informatica and we’re looking into Human Inference.

What other advice do I have?

Keep your jobs small and simple, split large jobs into multiple smaller jobs. One of the major pitfalls is creating one huge job which does everything. This is detrimental for the performance of the job. It also makes it harder to read and understand the job, let alone debug the job.

Always use metadata and contexts groups. Deploying will be a lot easier.

Use the documentation possibilities in your jobs. Name the component, data flow, and sub jobs. This will increase the readability of the jobs.

I would give it an eight out of 10. In the last four years I have seen the product grow and improve but there is still more room for improvement.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Talend Gold Partner.
Umesh Nitnaware
Data Scientest at a wellness & fitness company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
​Data ingestion​ ​has reduced manual effort to import data

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for data ingestion. We current have HDP 2.6 installed on Ubuntu 16.04.

How has it helped my organization?

Has reduced manual effort to import data.

What is most valuable?

Data ingestion

What needs improvement?

Not enough material is available for beginners.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Has reduced manual effort to import data.

What is most valuable?

Data ingestion

What needs improvement?

Not enough material is available for beginners.

it_user827655
Principal Developer
​It lowers the amount of time in development from weeks to a day

• "​It lowers the amount of time in development from weeks to a day.​"
  • "If the SQL input controls could dynamically determine the schema-based on the SQL alone, it would simplify the steps of having to use a manually created and saved schema for use in the TMap for the Postgres and Redshift components. This would make things even easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to load our big data system with S3 and Redshift. We also use it to process in HL7 from hospitals in real-time.

How has it helped my organization?

It lowers the amount of time in development from weeks to a day.

What is most valuable?

The ease of transforming data with inputs to TMaps and tJavaRow makes life so easy.

What needs improvement?

There is one place where I would appreciate an upgrade, if it is possible. If the SQL input controls could dynamically determine the schema-based on the SQL alone, it would simplify the steps of having to use a manually created and saved schema for use in the TMap for the Postgres and Redshift components. This would make things even easier. When it does guess the schema it tends to bring back every column from every table or every column from the table specified in the table name in the component. Sometimes, the SQL comes from multiple tables and has some transformations of data.

I do not know if it would even be possible, but if this could be figured out automatically for the column names and types, that would be amazing.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I have not run into anything we could not use Talend to find a solution for.

it_user826299
Junior ETL Developer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Heap space issues plague us consistently. However, the file fetch process is impeccable.

• "The file fetch process is impeccable."
  • "We are able to get emails from URLs very easily using this function when others fail."
  • "tLogRows are also great for finding bad data."
  • "NullPointerExceptions are going to be the death of me and are a big reason for our transition away from Talend. One day, it is fine with a 1000 blank rows, then the next day, it will find one blank cell and it breaks down."
  • "Heap space issues plague us consistently. We maxed it out and it runs fine, then it doesn’t, then it does."
  • "Finding assistance with issues can be spotty. With Python, there are literally millions of open source answers which are recent and apply to the version that we are using."

What is our primary use case?

We are a marketing and advertising company. We use this tool to fetch data from Google, Bing, and Adobe. We receive marketing data daily via email, FTP, and API, then process the data into MySQL tables.

How has it helped my organization?

Coming into the department with no knowledge of Talend, the interface has been user-friendly enough to allow me to come up to speed in four to five months on almost all its functions and use it like a pro.

What is most valuable?

• The file fetch process is impeccable.
  • We are able to get emails from URLs very easily using this function when others fail.
  • tLogRows are also great for finding bad data.

What needs improvement?

NullPointerExceptions are going to be the death of me and are a big reason for our transition away from Talend. One day, it is fine with a 1000 blank rows, then the next day, it will find one blank cell and it breaks down. When we are dealing with millions of rows of data, this can be super hard to find.

Heap space issues also plague us consistently. We maxed it out and it runs fine, then it doesn’t, then it does.

Inconsistency is a big issue.

it_user826677
Technical Consultant
Provides a flexible development environment to the coder

What is our primary use case?

Data migration (database to database using direct DB access and commands or using web services).

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely streamlined certain processes.

What is most valuable?

The ability to build the interface using clear components and access the code (Java) to validate and trace any error. The wide range of components which suits a variety of purposes and provides a flexible development environment to the coder.

What needs improvement?

The ability to change the code when debugging the JavaScript could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely streamlined certain processes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The ability to change the code when debugging the JavaScript could be improved.

SV
Practice Manager

• "It reduces the QA effort immensely by handling most of the test scenarios in a reusable way."
  • "​This product speeds up the unit testing and QA for specific test scenarios. As a result, the development output quality can be evaluated and adjusted.​"
  • "I like idea of storing the results of Data Quality jobs in a DB and having the ability to run reports in the DB to show a dashboard of quality metrics."
  • "There are too many functions which could be streamlined."
  • "There are more functions in a non-streamlined manner, which could be refined to arrive at a better off-the-shelf functions."

What is our primary use case?

Data Quality is used to automate the quality control check on the data loaded from batch jobs. This includes BCA for field level data quality and cross table checks for key column mismatches.

The data is in Redshift and the load volume is around 10 million records per batch load over more than 100 tables in a Data Vault model.

This is for a short three month project. I have used it from dev phase until QA. This reduces the QA effort immensely by handling most of the test scenarios in a reusable way.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I like the components provided by Data Quality, such as:

• Address standardization
  • Fuzzy match
  • Schema compliance check as they pack lot of code, which is required to perform these standard data operations.
  • Doing the same by coding would be erroneous, take a lot of time, and provide output quality which is biased.

Apart from specific components, I like idea of storing the results of Data Quality jobs in a DB and having the ability to run reports in the DB to show a dashboard of quality metrics.

What needs improvement?

• The report generation and using the report in DI job steps could be improved.
  • There are too many functions which could be streamlined.
  • The report generated often has too many pages to go through, if not loaded into a DB.
  • There are more functions in a non-streamlined manner, which could be refined to arrive at a better off-the-shelf functions.

Trial/evaluations only.
it_user497733
Executive Director and Business Unit Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It helps more accurately identify data-quality issues, and it is simple to install.

What is most valuable?

Analysing data trends: This works when you add a column to analyse. It shows you max, min, nulls, etc. per field. It allows a snapshot of your data. Duplication

How has it helped my organization?

More accurate data-quality issue identification Reporting

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them add a configuration wizard.

I have been using for two years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I encountered scalability issues.

I consulted a lot of product forums, but I did not ask for support from Talend.

The…

What is most valuable?

• Analysing data trends: This works when you add a column to analyse. It shows you max, min, nulls, etc. per field. It allows a snapshot of your data.
  • Duplication

How has it helped my organization?

• More accurate data-quality issue identification
  • Reporting

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them add a configuration wizard.

I have been using for two years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I encountered scalability issues.

I consulted a lot of product forums, but I did not ask for support from Talend.

The Talend software is very simple to install. Because it runs on the Java platform, you need to make sure you have a JRE installed. Then, you download the ZIP file from the Talend website. You extract the file, and the software is ready to use by executing the EXE file.

Try the free version first!

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool; include it in your planning.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Talend distribution partner
it_user158814
Developer with 51-200 employees
Has allowed us to organise & deploy our staged ETL transformation processes; toolbox integration could be better.

What is most valuable?

Fuzzy matching lookups.

How has it helped my organization?

Talend has allowed us to systematically organise/structure and deploy our staged ETL transformation processes from Development into production, we have tracked our data quality efforts during our runs and supplied comprehensive feedback during our development.

What needs improvement?

Toolbox/component integration, performance (optimal memory performance) bench marks / manual across 64bit 32 bit architectures not existent.

2-4 years.

Sometimes when working with larger datasets (possibly due to insufficient memory).

Excellent

Excellent

Yes I have, found Talend less fussy with different data and debugging tools. It is a superior solution once you are acquainted with it.

Straightforward.

In-house,

100%.

No setup costs or usage costs. Talend open studio.

Yes, SSIS and Pentaho.

What other advice do I have?

Platform/Technology specific decisions need to be made upfront before considering this solution.

Information Architect at a healthcare company
Good and easy debugging functions while better tools for geo-data are needed.

Valuable Features

Maybe the best thing is the product's easy start-up level when you are familiar with Java. Also job creation is fast compared to some other tools. One more good thing is that tables' metadata is easy to bring into the tool and utilize. Last thing to mention here is flexibility to use Java code inside the job.

Improvements to My Organization

These are: fast job creation from start to finish which improves ROI, good and easy debugging functions.

Room for Improvement

First, We faced problems with stability of the products. Also some components were clearly not tested well, which meant that there were bugs. Better tools for geo-data are needed. Documentation was poor in the beginning but it got better over time.

Use of Solution

Talend Enterprise Data Integration 5.1 (1) and Talend Platform for
Data Services (2)

2 years by one customer (without Data Quality (1)), 6 months in other customer (with Data Quality(2))

At the customer deployment to the production environment from the test one was a bit exhausting. This could be because they didn't use/know the best-practices.

Yes we had issues. Quite often the server needed rebooting as if there were memory leaks. Sometimes the CVS version management got stuck.

No issues. Only issues were with the Java memory which is scalable and changeable from the job settings.

Customer service was good most of the time. Answers came in a timely fashion.

It was good most of the time. Answers came in a timely fashion.

It was pretty straightforward. Memory settings by the client needed some modification in the first place. From the server point of view I cannot say.

Implementation Team

In house team.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes. We evaluated IBM DataStage.

it_user154314
Technical Team Lead at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Although we faced memory issues with 3GB of RAM, I would recommend this product.

What is most valuable?

JRules, TMap, TParallel, ELT, etc

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided the feature wherein the business could make the changes as requested without performing the ETL deployment code to production.

What needs improvement?

I think the memory issues we faced when using the 3GB RAM compared to the 4GB RAM computers caused lot of issues. Probably can improve in that.

4 years - Talend Open Studio 3.1.2, 4.1.3, 5.0, Talend Integration Suite 4.1.3, Talend Data Quality 4

Intially we did encountered issues with the deployment, but over the period of time we were able to find the proper way to perform the deployment and also used a tool called HERMES for the deployment.

No issues

No issues

Very nice customer service

Excellent support from the technical support team

Yes earlier we had Ab Initio but switched to Talend because initially it was an Open Studio with no cost involved and also it was supported by the JRules component.

It was not straight forward as it was pretty new to everyone among our team, but over the period of time when we had hands on the tool everything got smooth.

It was a in-house team.

Ab Initio, Informatica etc.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend others to implement this product as it is really helpful, easy to learn, user friendly, provides lot of enhanced features, etc.

it_user153093
Data Architect with 5,001-10,000 employees
I like the option to start with the community edition. At the same time, it uses a huge amount of memory.

Valuable Features

The option to start with the community edition

Improvements to My Organization

Solves problems with the quality of data applying some business rules. And with the data integrator load data from multiple source to a target source.

Room for Improvement

The usage of memory. This tool uses a huge amount of memory.

Use of Solution

Around 3 years

I haven't had problems.

Yes, I had some problems with the Linux version because of launch some exceptions.

Customer Service: 5/5 - good customer serviceTechnical Support: 5/5 - good technical support

We haven't experienced any problems.

ROI

You move data from one source to another without problem…

Valuable Features

The option to start with the community edition

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

The usage of memory. This tool uses a huge amount of memory.

Use of Solution

Around 3 years

I haven't had problems.

We haven't experienced any problems.

ROI

You move data from one source to another without problem and apply some business rules in data.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Basically a good server.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes we evaluated: Kettle, CloverEtl and Oracle Data Integrator

Other Advice

Put in a server with a lot of memory and if it’s a hard process then put in a dedicated server.
Manager at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Switch to Talend came natural - we were working on a custom data quality solution and encountered difficulty

What is most valuable?

Better control and flexibility to add/custom define features, to tailor to your needs by modifying its Java generated code.

How has it helped my organization?

While building Customer registry for a global hi-tech manufacturing firm few years back, to establish single view of customer across geographies, Talend data quality was used in conjunction with other tools to track and manage data quality metrics, with minimum investment. DQ Scorecards were published for daily updates to DMO(data management operations) and steering committee.

I’ve been part of defining and building similar solutions and been part of this specific solution involving Talend for close to an year.

Yes, and we did overcome the same by custom defining/development efforts.

Switch to Talend came natural since working on a custom data quality solution then and encountered difficulty managing the same.

An application dev/consulting firm supported with custom development efforts, not a Talend data quality vendor, intuitive UI and features of product helped the team to learn quickly and work on this platform.

We've evaluated multiple options including building/maintaining a custom solution. Cost, maintenance and custom development requirements were primary factors for choosing Talend.

What other advice do I have?

Account for Java developers/ custom development efforts apart from DQ functional/technical expertise, to use Talen DQ product to the fullest.