TeamCity OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TeamCity is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Build Automation tools. It is most often compared to GitLab: TeamCity vs GitLab

What is TeamCity?

TeamCity is a Continuous Integration and Deployment server that provides out-of-the-box continuous unit testing, code quality analysis, and early reporting on build problems. A simple installation process lets you deploy TeamCity and start improving your release management practices in a matter of minutes. TeamCity supports Java, .NET and Ruby development and integrates perfectly with major IDEs, version control systems, and issue tracking systems.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

TeamCity Customers

Toyota, Xerox, Apple, MIT, Volkswagen, HP, Twitter, Expedia

TeamCity Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TeamCity pricing:
  • "The licensing is on an annual basis."

TeamCity Reviews

Tim Suchodolski
DevOps Enginee at Local Projects
Scalable and simple to use with lots of very good plug-ins

• "TeamCity is very useful due to the fact that it has a strong plug-in system."
  • "If TeamCity could create more out of the box solutions to make it more user friendly and create more use cases, that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

For my company, we require a CI server that's very flexible. Our bills are simple, almost template-based, however, we need to be able to deploy to almost any platform, basically whatever the customer could end up using, whether it be Windows, Mac, Android, and even mobile or tablets, et cetera. We can do it with this solution.

It needs to be simple because right now as I am the only IT person knowledgable of infrastructure on the team. If we need to build a pipeline, it needs to be simple enough that the rest of the team would be able to understand and work with it.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has been fantastic for our organization due to the fact that we do not need a designer having to build the product. We don't need to figure out how to deploy it either. It's created improved efficiencies which have saved us time and expense.

What is most valuable?

TeamCity is very useful due to the fact that it has a strong plug-in system.

It's fantastic how simple it is to set up a pipeline. You don't need to be a technical user to understand the process and make it work and to create and build steps within the pipeline.

What needs improvement?

Harness stuck out to me due to the fact that it looked like testing and deployment was very simple and out of the box. TeamCity it definitely isn't plug and play. It's not a few clicks and you're done. It takes a bit more work.

I would like it if they had a better system for copying or editing what has already been created. Right now it's either too simplistic, or you have to go through several steps just to delete something and to copy something that either does a whole copy or almost nothing. There is no in-between. You can't choose how much of something you take. I would prefer if there was more of, "okay, copy all of this, but leave out these steps." That would just make things a lot faster.

We've been using the solution for about a year now.

The solution is reliable. I don't recall bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. It's stable.

The solution is scalable. If an organization needs to expand it, it's possible to do so.

Currently, we have 10-12 users on the solution. These include the creative design team, software engineers, and project managers.

The technical support is good. It's forum based. You post on their websites. You don't really create a ticket and you don't call anyone. You post on their website someone will help you by answering your question there. Then, everyone can also see the answer.

The solution is a little bit complex. It's not quite straightforward. You have to set up servers and agents. Essentially, you need three computers to get up and running.

We did not use an integrator or consultant to assist us with the deployment. We managed the process by ourselves.

The licensing costs depend on what you use the solution for, however, it's free to start and you get up to three agents for free. If you want to do more than a hundred builds or a hundred different setups, then you have to pay more or start paying.

It's a Freemium model. Once you pass the free stage, it can cost anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars per year.

We're currently looking at Harness, which seems to have a few more out of the box features that we need, so we are considering either integrating the two together, or switching over entirely.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We're using the most up to date version of the solution currently.

TeamCity is our main continuous integration tool, however, it is deployments that we were looking into improving. With Harness I saw that the deployment process was very polished. And at this point I was wondering if there was any interactivity between the two solutions, or just what would be the benefits of just switching completely to Harness. We're currently researching that now.

I'd advise other organizations to do a lot of research before you begin creating anything.

The solution needs a lot of maintenance in the sense that you need to understand all the different pieces. You need to be able to look at the servers and the agents, and, if you're going to implement anything new, you'll need to understand it is going to take a while to get it right.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

HB
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good integration and CI/CD flow

• "The integration is a valuable feature."
  • "We would like to see better integration with other version controls, since we encountered difficulty when this we first attempted."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version of TeamCity by JetBrains, 2021.

We needed CI/CD, a Continuous Integration Delivery approach to our current process and the database development process. We needed a tool to generate and run automated builds and tests and to notify us in the event of a failure.

What is most valuable?

The integration is a valuable feature. The solution comes with a great CI/CD flow. As we have our own personal server, we have our own account for each developer. When it comes to access to it's dashboard it can be integrated with a social control. We integrated with version control and did so with GitHub. It allows one to have repositories in a single place, so as to customize the whole desired flow for having an initial continuous integration of a working build.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see better integration with other version controls, since we encountered difficulty when this was first attempted. This meant that we had to use predefined scripts that we wrote on our own.

When it comes to other source control tools , such as GitHub, it's really straightforward and easy to do.

We've been using TeamCity over the past 12 months.

The initial setup was straightforward. I can log in and start working as soon as I have my account credentials. While some advance training is needed, the person would be good to go once he has mastered the basics.

When it comes to plans to increase usage, this depends on the company and the user developer.

I have not had occasion to make use of the solution's technical support.

The licensing is on an annual basis.

I cannot comment on the pricing, as this is out of my purview.

We did not evaluate other options prior to going with TeamCity. It was the first one we picked for the integration of our CI/CD.

What other advice do I have?

We have more than 50 users in our organization who are making use of the solution.

There is much online documentation for TeamCity, with certain learning materials such as videos. There are many free courses, as well.

Someone considering the implementation of TeamCity should first define all of his use cases. If the person wishes to integrate it with infrastructure, but is a junior engineer who lacks experience with DevOps tools, he would need to do some learning. This said, the solution is a great tool for CI/CD.

The solution has all the features that I need, with a good user interface. I'm pretty satisfied.

I rate TeamCity as an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Find out what your peers are saying about JetBrains, Jenkins, Atlassian and others in Build Automation. Updated: September 2021.
    540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    RalfRosen
    Software Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Stable, a straightforward setup, and easy to configure

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is its easy configuration. It also has multiple plugins that can be used especially for building .net applications."
    • "If there was more documentation that was easier to locate, it would be helpful for users."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for application building and testing, continuous integration testing, and continuous delivery.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is its easy configuration. It also has multiple plugins that can be used especially for building .net applications.

What needs improvement?

Some of the configurations have room for improvement. They are partly calling another tool via the command line and the parameters on the command line are occasionally hard to use.

I've been using the solution for five years.

In the prior version, there were some problems with the doc agents, but the latest version is quite stable.

We're not a big company, so we don't need to scale in a big way. It is possible to partly scale by adding multiple agents within the license. It would be quite easy to do this if you need to.

We've never used technical support. We haven't needed to use it yet.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Our company handled the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd advise others that it's absolutely necessary to use an integration tool that can run integration tests.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Product Categories
    Build Automation
    Download our free Build Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about JetBrains, Jenkins, Atlassian, and more!