TeamCity Overview

TeamCity is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Build Automation tools. It is most often compared to GitLab: TeamCity vs GitLab

What is TeamCity?

TeamCity is a Continuous Integration and Deployment server that provides out-of-the-box continuous unit testing, code quality analysis, and early reporting on build problems. A simple installation process lets you deploy TeamCity and start improving your release management practices in a matter of minutes. TeamCity supports Java, .NET and Ruby development and integrates perfectly with major IDEs, version control systems, and issue tracking systems.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

TeamCity Customers

Toyota, Xerox, Apple, MIT, Volkswagen, HP, Twitter, Expedia

TeamCity Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Web Developer and Software Architect at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Execution of unit tests with code coverage reports is a valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

Automating continuous integration and catching those culprits who introduce build errors or test failures who refuse to test on their own machines.

• "Using TeamCity and emailing everyone on fail is one way to emphasize the importance of testing code and showing management why taking the time to test actually does saves time from having to fix bugs on the other end."
  • "Last time I used it, dotnet compilation had to be done via PowerShell scripts. There was actually a lot that had to be scripted."
Software Tools Developer II at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Templates, meta-runners, and agent pooling make it easy to move to a new release

• "It's easy to move to a new release because of templates and meta-runners, and agent pooling."
  • "REST API support lacks many features in customization of builds, jobs, and settings."

What other advice do I have?

Use Templates and meta-runners, they are very useful in scaling your product with new releases.
Find out what your peers are saying about JetBrains, Jenkins, Atlassian and others in Build Automation. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Automatic VCS Triggers, MSTest, and NUnit integration made our workflow much faster and efficient

• "VCS Trigger: Provides excellent source control support."
  • "The upgrade process could be smoother. Upgrading major versions can often cause some pain."

What other advice do I have?

It really is dependent on your product needs. Do market research and see the pros and cons versus open source or any other solutions out there.
Software Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Provides ​​good visualization of builds, however ​I would suggest creating simple and advanced configurations

What is most valuable?

Good visualization of builds Easy configuration Good integration with IDE and JetBrains products

How has it helped my organization?

People react faster on failing builds.

What needs improvement?

I would suggest creating simple and advanced configurations. Advanced configurations will give more customizations like Jenkins does.

Three to five years.

Generally no, just in a few cases.

No, adding new build agents were enough.

I would give technical support an eight out of 10. They provide help quickly.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Software Engineer at a security firm with 501-1,000 employees
Features I like include: shared resource locking, customization via plugins and meta-runners, and storing build configurations per-branch for Git code repositories.
Release and deployment process manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
There are the occasional issues in deploying software, but it has centralized our build automation.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you define the standards and naming conventions prior to implementing TeamCity.
Software Development Senior Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It delegates the building of executable code to a machine, and it stays running and performs build regularly.

What other advice do I have?

Start small. Start with just doing builds before executing tests.
Software Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides us with continuous deployment and integration, but get someone who knows it well to go through the basics.

What is most valuable?

General ease of use Quick start up time NUnit build runner

How has it helped my organization?

Continuous deployment Continuous integration Testing feedback

I've used it for four years.

No issues encountered.

There was no previous solution in place.

It's straightforward as the UI is intuitive.

I implemented it myself.

What was our

DevOps Engineer at a media company with 51-200 employees
The templates allow a consistent configuration on how an application is built.
Director at Testing QA Solutions Ltd (TQS)
Useful to see how the build is progressing and how many tests are left to pass.

What other advice do I have?

Do it! Very easy to use and very stable. A must have tool for any teams using agile methodologies.
Senior Product Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allowed us to create a visual flow of the processes and steps involved in moving a build through its phases.
Software Developer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
The support for cross-platform builds is very valuable, as is the flexibility in creating build steps.

What other advice do I have?

If you need an enterprise build management tool, and your budget permits, it's absolutely worth looking at. Even for independent developers with a limited budget, JetBrains allows you to use the product for free up to a certain number of projects. I use it for a personal project at home, and love it.
Software Configuration Management ad Release Management at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very useful for setting up build agents in a Unix platform.

What is most valuable?

Continuous integration Build templates Triggers Plugins Platform independence

How has it helped my organization?

We used do all of our product development builds using .net and Java languages. It is very useful to setup build agents in a Unix platform for all kinds of Unix builds.

What needs improvement?

Deployment functions need work.

I've used it for two years.

We had an issue when we customized TeamCity for deployment functions in a Windows environment using PowerShell scripting.

How are

DevOps Consultant at a tech company with 51-200 employees
I use it to increase visibility and clarity of build and deployment activities.

What other advice do I have?

With low costs to adopt what are you waiting for?
Automation Test Analyst at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
It runs acceptance tests after each commit, giving quick and automatic feedback on software quality.

What other advice do I have?

An FAQ section with all the most common issues/most asked technical questions would be more than welcome.
Systems Administrator at Facebook
I generally find TeamCity a lot more intuitive than Jenkins.
Moving to TeamCity from Jenkins At work, we’re slowly migrating from Jenkins to TeamCity in the hope of ending some of our recurring problems with continuous integration. My use of Jenkins prior to this job has been almost strictly on a personal basis, although I pretty much only use Travis nowadays. The biggest difference upon initial inspection is that TeamCity is far more focused on validating individual commits rather than certain types of tests. Jenkins’ front page presents information that is simply not useful in a non-linear development environment, where people are often working in vastly different directions. How many of the previous tests passed/failed is not really salient information in this kind of situation. Running specific tests for individual commits on TeamCity is far…
Product Categories
Build Automation
Download our free Build Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about JetBrains, Jenkins, Atlassian, and more!
Quick Links