TeamViewer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TeamViewer is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Virtual Meetings tools. It is most often compared to TeamViewer Tensor: TeamViewer vs TeamViewer Tensor

What is TeamViewer?

TeamViewer lets you connect to any PC or server around the world within a few seconds. Remote control a partners PC as if you were sitting in front of it. Available in over 30 languages, TeamViewer is one of the world's most popular providers of remote control and online meeting software. airbackup, a powerful cloud-based backup solution, and ITbrain, a valuable remote monitoring and IT asset tracking solution, complement TeamViewer's product portfolio.

TeamViewer Buyer's Guide

Download the TeamViewer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

TeamViewer Customers

Porsche Informatik, Philips, DHL, Intel, Motorola, Microsoft, IBM, Siemens, Fujitsu, American Red Cross

TeamViewer Video

Archived TeamViewer Reviews (more than two years old)

Jason Miller
Application Engineer at AirTies
Can provide access anywhere and remotely show what is on the desktop of a target machine

• "There have been a couple of times with the handy remote access feature, where I have been asked for something at eight o'clock on a Thursday evening and it is on my desk machine, but I am driving back to my office. With TeamViewer, I can just stay at my home machine, connect to my work machine, and get the data needed without having to drive back across town."
  • "On occasion, when remote connection process can't connect to a machine, the error messages aren't always helpful to tell you why you can't connect, as the message doesn't help troubleshoot whether it is too slow, too much interference, etc. I usually have to run to another computer and figure out what is going on, then restart it. The diagnostics could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is getting access to various test machines from one location.

AirTies makes smart WiFi technology which end up in people's homes. I set it up in a house with WiFi devices. We test our Extenders and gateways with a bunch of clients using TeamViewer. I can access the clients to view the data being collected or what's connecting to wired ports. I do this locally, and sometimes, I access the home office in Istanbul.

It is used on a mix of Mac and Windows machines. Even though we have Android and iOS devices to test for WiFi devices, we haven't put TeamViewer on them yet.

We have a lot of IOT devices, but we haven't used TeamViewer that much manage them or get to them. While I'm open to it, I'm not sure of the roadmap for the rest of the QA team.

How has it helped my organization?

We can get machines logged off and check statuses of what's going on a lot easier. Otherwise, you need to track things in the office or wait for someone to be online in Istanbul, which is a bit tough because Istanbul is eight hours ahead of us.

I've had coworkers who have done remote debugging. So, they ask a client to install TeamViewer so they can access their network from our office and help them troubleshoot problems in the field. In these cases, it is more of a support type role offered.

What is most valuable?

TeamViewer shows you what is on the desktop of the target machine.

The two features that I use the most are getting onto a desktop, so I can access it, and File Transfer. Quite often, we need put new firmware out there across the network or I need to get logs from a device. So, I log into different PC and just use File Transfer to move stuff back and forth.

It does have screen recording, which is a cool feature that I have only used twice.

It has been pretty easy to use. It probably does more things than I know that it can do, so it's probably even more robust than I think. What I do use it for, it is a piece of cake to use. They changed a couple of menu options between versions 13 and 14.

What needs improvement?

The remote connection process is reliable, good, and fast. On occasion, when it can't connect to a machine, the error messages aren't always helpful to tell you why you can't connect, as the message doesn't help troubleshoot whether it is too slow, too much interference, etc. I usually have to run to another computer and figure out what is going on, then restart it. The diagnostics could be improved.

I have been using TeamViewer for a year and a half at AirTies at this location. It now is required with the job. I have a bunch of different PCs spread around the house which I need access to., but don't want to chase down. My previous experience before AirTies was hit or miss. I didn't use it too often, only if I needed to set up remote access for something.

It has been really stable. It has only locked up once, and I believe this was because I got confused over a network issue since I was changing networks. It is nice that the product is stable. So if I can't connect, it's probably a computer or network problem, not a software problem.

For everything that I use it, it has been rock solid.

I am the only official tester. So, I maintain all the systems. I don't know how many people are on the QA test teams in Istanbul. It might be around 30 people and need an IT team of about 8. However, I am not sure how much they do get called up to test and maintain TeamViewer. Usually, I'm doing all the IT functions.

It scales pretty well. Every time that we get a new machine, we install TeamViewer on it. However, we only buy a new machine every 14 months or so.

There are no obvious limitation to how many end users that we can support. E.g., our home office has six test locations with an entire development team and QA team where have 50 to 60 people.

Our development, QA, and IT teams have access to TeamViewer. Our development team uses it the most. The IT team, which is about eight people, uses it a little. The QA team use it as needed, but not daily. On and off, 20 people use it, but 60 people have access to it.

I haven't had a chance to use their tech support. I've only searched a couple times on forums.

For our client, we just download, install it, install another one internally, and generate the unique ID. Then, you're good to go. The only thing that we do change is the password. It's a lot easier to type it in than the computer generated one.

The install process takes 5 to ten minutes. This includes time to record the ID for look up later on.

It saves me a lot of trouble. Time-wise, it is probably saving me several hours because I don't have to travel anywhere. I just wait for the time difference. With the time difference, it is really hard to talk to people halfway around the planet sometimes.

It has probably saved us several thousands of dollars because we have quick access anywhere. We don't have to worry about finding people onsite or arranging conference calls. We also save time and money with it because we don't have to send somebody onsite to troubleshoot.

TeamViewer offers a free version to try. Download and give it a shot. See what it's like and if you like it, then buy the license for it.

We tell people not to license TeamViewer internally, but they can download it. The product is not quite organized for distribution.

I've used VNC in the past at another company. I like TeamViewer a bit better, as it has more tools built-in. The File Transfer thing is awesome, and it also runs faster than VNC. VNC is free and easy to set up, but it's not user-friendly nor does it have as many options as TeamViewer. VNC doesn't have the powerful UI that TeamViewer has nor does VNC echo the screen like TeamViewer does.

There is also pcAnywhere, which is more PC-centric (not sure if it will work on a Mac). TeamViewer has a lot less overhead versus pcAnywhere. Also, I know that TeamViewer can anywhere and on a Mac.

What other advice do I have?

Test it out and see if it meets your needs.

It's awesome. Nothing else compares to it at the same level.

Biggest lesson learnt: There are tools available which don't cost too much and can improve productivity. They can make it so you don't have to travel so much.

We haven't done any 5G stuff yet. All our stuff is done WiFi locally.

DW
Network Administrator at Parksite
The time savings is substantial as I can quickly jump on a device and fix something

• "It was worth the investment. You can do file transfers and video calls with it. You can do a lot of copy paste stuff. E.g., if I have a file and want to place it on somebody's machine, I can just copy it off of mine and paste it right on their machine. I don't have to put it in a Dropbox account and have them log into it to pull it off. I can do all that right through TeamViewer. When you're looking at the TeamViewer screen, you think you are working on your own machine."
  • "If they could figure out a little better solution for the iOS stuff other than just a screen share, even though it's an Apple thing, and Apple doesn't like to give up control of their devices. If they ever got to that point, and I could manipulate an iPad or iPhone, that would be awesome. Since we have a bunch of iPad users who are struggling with doing different things, it would be nice to be able to just jump on and actually show them, "Here, do this, this, and this." Similar to what we do with the laptops, e.g. for training."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for remote access to other machines. That was the main reason why we bought it. It is for our help desk and support guys to access remote users' machines.

Our users have it on their laptops. We can also do a bit of remote support for Apple devices, but it is basically a screen share. You can just see their screen. You can't manipulate anything, but you can see what they are looking at on their screens. Therefore, it's mostly for laptops, desktop machines, and the PC environment.

It is mostly for the regular support, for anybody who is having issues with a machine.

I use the solution quite a bit. I love it.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides efficiency, even if it is something as simple as just maintenance, something that is broken, adding something, a walk-through, or doing training. It is a great tool.

The remote connect process is super simple. As long as the user has an Internet connection and can get on the Internet somewhere, whether they are at home (on their WiFi), using portable Internet (Jetpack), or if they stop in a Starbucks to get on the Internet, I can connect to them. That is what is really convenient.

It was worth the investment. You can do file transfers and video calls with it. You can do a lot of copy paste stuff. E.g., if I have a file and want to place it on somebody's machine, I can just copy it off of mine and paste it right on their machine. I don't have to put it in a Dropbox account and have them log into it to pull it off. I can do all that right through TeamViewer. When you are looking at the TeamViewer screen, you think you are working on your own machine.

What is most valuable?

It is really easy to use. If I can get a machine on the Internet, I can get on it and fix whatever is wrong with it. I keep an individual list of all of our machines that TeamViewer is installed on. So, I have all the IDs, etc. This makes it easy for me to get to their machines.

This saves a ton of time. A guy can call me, who is out on the road, and say, “Hey, I left my machine on, and it is at home. Can you go in and..." either install software or fix something, because something is not working right, etc. Then, I can remote into his machine and fix stuff, before he even gets home. This rather than try to walk him through fixing something, which isn't always the easiest. So, I can jump on and fix something in five minutes, which would probably take an hour normally.

You don't need to be an IT professional to use it.

What needs improvement?

If they could figure out a little better solution for the iOS stuff other than just a screen share, even though it's an Apple thing, and Apple doesn't like to give up control of their devices. If they ever got to that point, and I could manipulate an iPad or iPhone, that would be awesome. Since we have a bunch of iPad users who are struggling with doing different things, it would be nice to be able to just jump on and actually show them, "Here, do this, this, and this." Similar to what we do with the laptops, e.g. for training.

We have probably had it three to four years. It has been quite a while.

The stability has been really good. I can probably count on one hand how many times that it wasn't available or that they had some sort of an outage, which has been pretty brief. I don't ever think it's ever been longer than an hour, and that has been rare. It is really stable.

You could add as many users on here as you want. We probably access around 500 devices.

We have eight licenses now. Therefore, we have eight users who can remote access machines.

I have three monitors that I use. While it's not real common, there are times when I'm on three to four people's machines at one time trying to fix different things. I imagine if I had more monitors that could be organized enough to make sure I am using the right stuff on the right machines, I could probably do whatever our Internet could handle. I could probably do 20 people at a time.

As we add more PCs (or whatever devices), TeamViewer gets added onto them. I use TeamViewer all day long, like it is my right arm. I haven't run a report in quite awhile, but I spend probably half of my day using the software on somebody else's machine.

The technical support has been great. The couple of times that I have ever needed anything, I will send an email. I receive a reply back pretty quickly, then a follow up. They will let me know, "Hey, somebody is either going to call you, or you will get an email follow up." It depends on what the question is, but I get something back very quickly. If I needed to get another license, I could send an email right now and have a license in probably 15 minutes.

We had another software that we used for a while called Virtual Network Connection (VNC), which allowed us to access machines. The problem with that solution was that it had to be on a VPN connection. They had to be connected to our network, so it was a lot more difficult to be able to get on their machines. For those machines, we added TeamViewer. Now, every time that they boot up the users' machines, it launches if they are on the Internet. It connects, and I can see whose machines are on and whose aren't.

The VPN solution was through Bell Labs at one time and has been around a long long time. It was a free solution that you just download off the Internet, if you want to. While it works okay, it's not the greatest. The problem with it is that you still need a VPN connection to our network for it to work. Because it is point-to-point, it won't go through the Internet. With TeamViewer, if the machine is on the Internet, it doesn't matter where on the globe the device is, it works. With the VNC software, you have to connect back to our network on a private connection, otherwise it wouldn't work.

The VNC solution was cumbersome to use. TeamViewer is so much easier.

The initial setup is real easy. We have the software loaded on all the machines that we send out. You just click on the icon to let it load. We put a username in it, then we set up an access password, and it's done. That is it.

It literally takes probably about two to three minutes from start to finish.

We did everything ourselves.

The tool cuts my time in half. If it's a 40 hour week, I would say that I am saving 20 hours a week. It is really that good. The time savings are substantial. That is not including if there are issues where I would needed to have had somebody send something into me, or when you tell somebody, “Well, click on the start button," and the response is, “I can't see the start button.”

I spend half of my day using it to access somebody else's machines. If I couldn't do that, and I had to have them send the equipment to me, the shipping, hours, and lost productivity would be a huge cost.

From just a cost perspective, it pays for itself within the first month, or probably less than that. Within a few weeks, it would pay for an annual licensing fee by what you would save in time and everything else per person.

The cost of the licenses depends on how you buy them. They just had a buy one get one free deal going, and they do that every once in a while. Where you buy one license, and they will give you the second one free, or you can try to get discounts. Most of our licenses that we have we tried to do something like that just to save some money.

A rough estimate of our user cost is $500 per user annually. It is very cheap.

About a year ago today, an add-on channel was $232 dollars, but that was pro-rated because it was at the end of the month.

The only issue that I ever did have with it, and this was quite awhile back, was we were trying to get one of our licenses applied to a user. Because it was a user who had a license and we had previously removed it, then we wanted to give it back to them, and for some reason TeamViewer kept saying that the user already existed. We were like, "Well, no, that person left, and now, they are back again. " However, we threw them an email, and they fixed it. They said, “Try it now,” and it worked.

There were a couple of other vendors that we looked at, but we just liked TeamViewer. One of the guys that I work with had used this solution before, so it was sort of his suggestion. He had tried it at his place that he had worked before. and said, “We ought to try this, because we'll really liked it." So, we got its demo and had it for a couple of days. Then, I said, “I'm sold. This stuff is awesome.”

I haven't found anything else nor has anybody has pointed me in another direction saying, "Oh, you should use this instead, as this is way better."

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use. It is a no-brainer.

The only access is from the IT department to the machines. Users don't utilize anything to remote control their own machines. That's typically an IT function.

We really don't need any type of tracking.

Learn what your peers think about TeamViewer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
John DeMillion
Director of IT at Chester County Intermediate Unit
Solid cross-platform remote control, but with kludgy central management and some serious feature issues on macOS

• "TeamViewer allows us to do multiple controllers on a Host, which is great. We have a lot of Macs in our organization, and TeamViewer being cross-platform is a good thing."
  • "TeamViewer has a lot of options for deploying the Hosts, where you can mass deploy them very easily, and you can pre-configure them."
  • "You can't configure multiple, unattended control passwords on the Mac. On the Mac, there's only one. On Windows, there are multiple unattended control passwords. I have people in different departments. My infrastructure people need to control a server and my developers may need to go into that same server. But I don't want them to have the same password... on the Mac, it can be done but it's extremely clunky and problematic."

What is our primary use case?

We use TeamViewer for support, controlling our ~2,500 end-user computers and our ~60 servers.  Our environment is primarily macOS, with about 95% of end-users on Macs, but our servers split between Windows and macOS.  We also have some digital signage devices that run Linux, and we use TeamViewer to control them as well.

We ran TeamViewer concurrently with LogMeIn for about year as we evaluated TeamViewer as a replacement.  TeamViewer's superior remote quality (especially in low-bandwidth situations) and ease of mass deployment, combined with LogMeIn's serious and longstanding bugs led us to recently discontinue LogMeIn in favor of TeamViewer.

How has it helped my organization?

Coming from LogMeIn, TeamViewer's remote control quality, Host reliability, file-transfer capabilities and ability to support multiple simultaneous controllers on a Host have been a great improvement.

TeamViewer's simultaneous-controller/tech licensing is better for us than LogMeIn's device-based licensing, because we don't have to worry as much about maintaining devices in the list as a driver of licensing costs.

What is most valuable?

TeamViewer's cross-platform nature is important to us, as we are about 95% macOS, and our IT organization is all-Mac, so we often use our Macs to control Windows machines.

TeamViewer is very fast, with very high fidelity and visual quality, in both high- and low-bandwidth situations, far better than our experience with LogMeIn.

TeamViewer's support for multiple Controllers on a Host is very convenient, allowing multiple techs to collaborate to help an end-user or to look at a server.  With LogMeIn, additional techs attempting to control a Host would either just mysteriously not be able to connect (there was no message or other indicator that the Host was already being controlled by someone else), or they would accidentally kick off the first Controller on the Host, which was inefficient and confusing.

Mass-deployment options for Hosts are excellent, making it easy to mass deploy on both macOS and Windows, and you can pre-configure the Hosts with settings and custom branding as needed.  Having said that, the experience with individual installations is nowhere as slick as LogMeIn, however: installing TeamViewer manually and getting everything configured is much more annoying and time-consuming than LogMeIn.

TeamViewer's file-transfer features are useful and comprehensive, with two options:  1) a drag-and-drop transfer mechanism for small files, and 2) a full-fledged file-transfer dialog that allows file tree browsing on both the Host and Controller.

TeamViewer is also free to try for personal use; as a result of that, myself and many of my staff were already familiar with the product from our experience supporting friends and family. That feature directly led to us being able to test TeamViewer extensively in everyday use, and as we looked for alternatives to LogMeIn, our familiarity with TeamViewer from personal use helped. LogMeIn previously offered the same free personal-use license but they discontinued that offering, which in my opinion was a very shortsighted move...and one that made me appreciate TeamViewer even more.

What needs improvement?

While TeamViewer has some great benefits, there are also some significant challenges and bugs. The biggest problem in our environment is that it's difficult, or sometimes even impossible, to properly manage granular access to a Host. It's a huge problem that mostly affects the Mac platform, but even with Windows Hosts the entire concept of how access to Hosts is configured centrally is a bit of a mess, especially compared to the true elegance of how LogMeIn worked.

With LogMeIn, we could centrally assign techs to a Group of Hosts, and those Techs could control that entire group of Hosts.  Even a one-off contractor could be temporarily or permanently given access to a Host, just using their email address. In addition to Group-based assignments, you could assign additional Hosts individually to a tech, so that they could control a single additional Host in addition to the main Host Group(s) that they had access to. It was extremely elegant, easy ton configure, made instant sense, and worked perfectly.  For example, I could have a group called "Servers" in LogMeIn, and I could give my infrastructure staff access to all of those servers. If I also wanted one of my Developers to be able to access a couple of those servers, I just gave them access to those individual Hosts in LogMeIn Central.

By comparison, TeamViewer is a complete mess. The way they do it is a total nightmare, and it does not work well. In TeamViewer, Techs can be given access to Host Groups...but a TeamViewer Host can't be in more than one Group...and Groups is the only way that you can give access to a user.  So the kind of granular control, giving access to Group(s) but also being able to give access to individual Hosts, is completely missing.  The workarounds for this are messy:  you can either split off any Hosts that may need individual control by other users into separate Groups, or you can have the Techs that need individual access manually add the Hosts to their "My Computers (Local)" Group in their own client, having to know the Host ID, etc.

In addition, the administration of Groups and access to Hosts in general is fragmented and confusing, with strange limitations. For example, let's say one of my departments needs to create a Group of Hosts. Only the individual tech who created the Group can control it: no one else can change the name or make other changes...only that tech that created it and  therefore "owns" it can. TeamViewer's "best practice" recommendation is to use a generic "Master" account to create and manage all Groups, having to login with that Master account rather than your own individual account, which is bad for many reasons, including making MFA more difficult and it has serious security and management implications.

By contrast in LogMeIn, when a privileged administrator creates a Group, it just belongs to the organization, other similarly-privileged administrators can manage the Group, other techs can see it, and it all makes total, elegant sense.  Hosts can be assigned to multiple Groups or individual Techs, etc: it's extremely flexible and straightforward.

TeamViewer's macOS Host is unfortunately not up to scratch with the Windows Host: it's missing some extremely important features. I sincerely hope that the TeamViewer macOS development team is going to address the problems in the near future.

For example, you can't configure multiple "unattended control" passwords on the macOS Host, to give Host access to different departments or individual users but using different passwords. The Windows Host, by contrast, allows multiple unattended control passwords. Another way to accomplish this on the Windows Host is via Windows OS authentication, allowing users with either Windows local or central Active Directory (AD) credentials to authenticate to TeamViewer. This feature is also missing on the macOS Host:  there's no way to authenticate using local macOS accounts (which LogMeIn allowed), nor can you authenticate using AD credentials, even if the Mac is bound to AD.  So on the macOS Host, there's exactly one unattended-control password to control that Host, which is a big problem in my environment with giving granular control to server Hosts.

There is a workaround, but it's completely obnoxious: TeamViewer has an automatic Host-generated password, one that usually changes after every session. It's designed for the local user who's using the Host machine to be able to give a tech a one-time password for a single support session, and the password changes the next time. There is a Host setting, however, that instructs the Host to keep that random password the same after each session, so I can use that as a bad hack to allow individual techs to control Hosts where they shouldn't know the main unattended-control passsword (after they add the Host manually in their "My Computers (Local)" Group....sigh).  Unfortunately, this workaround breaks when you restart the Host or relaunch TeamVIewer on the Host, as even with the "Don't Change" setting for the random password, it still changes whenever TeamViewer Host launches.  So after every update or reboot, we have to distribute the new random password to some techs...time-consuming and messy.

Another big issue with the macOS Host is that it does not have a method of avoiding locking the screen at the end of a session. The setting to lock the Host's screen after a control session seems fairly random, and if the controlling tech forgets to manually disable that "feature" during the session, the user (or server) gets the screen locked in their face when the tech finishes.  That causes a lot of problems, especially with some of our servers that need to remain unlocked and by annoying the heck out of users.  On the Windows Host, there is an Advanced setting to instruct the Host to never lock its screen after a remote session, but that setting is missing on the macOS Host.

There are some miscellaneous features missing on the macOS Host, like auto-hiding the TeamViewer panel and preventing accidental quitting of TeamViewer. These features were deemed necessary (and they are) in the past and thus were implemented on the Windows Host: they should also be available on the macOS Host.

Another issue concerns Windows virtual machines. Unfortunately, TeamViewer has historically depended on the Host's MAC address as part of generating the unique TeamViewer ID, because the MAC address was a fairly immutable thing back in the day. However modern virtual machines (VMs) have dynamic MAC addresses, which means that suddenly a Host gets a new TeamViewer ID, and you have no idea what it is, with no way to control the VM.  TeamViewer Tech Support tried to help with some workarounds to try to assign static TeamViewer IDs, but none were successful.  Their recommendation is to manually manage MAC addresses on VMs, which is a non-starter in clustered environments where dynamic MAC addressing is needed.  TeamViewer needs to stop depending on MAC addresses as a part of generating the TeamViewer ID:  LogMeIn figured it out and so TeamViewer should be able to.

A final concern is the accidental renaming of Hosts with an unattended-control password.  As we've increased the use of TeamViewer, we've found that our techs accidentally rename Hosts in the background while they think they're entering the unattended password for that Host. The Host actually gets renamed with the unattended control password, which is obviously a huge security issue.  We're trying to be mindful of that bug to prevent it from happening, but it's extremely problematic.

TeamViewer is very reliable. Our major problem with LogMeIn was that it would just turn itself off randomly on Hosts, and LogMeIn Support could never explain for fix it... we literally tried for about two years with them. When we implemented TeamViewer, it was very  refreshing to regain a reliable solution that we can always count on working.

TeamViewer seems very stable. It doesn't just crash or randomly turn itself off in our experience so far.

The central TeamViewer service does have issues from time to time, but the longest we've seen it last is a few hours, and it seems to be mostly in the middle of the night, and they're all over it, including transparently showing the status of all services on the TeamViewer Status website.

TeamViewer seems to scale well in one sense, being easily mass-deployable to thousands of Hosts.

But the badly-designed Groups and kludgy nature of the central management, combined with significant missing features on the macOS Host and lack of support for dynamic MAC addresses on VMs is a problem with scalability in a complex organization, and TeamViewer should address these major problems ASAP...right now they're just lucky that the other available cross-platform remote control solutions actually suck more than they do. ;-)

Technical support is excellent; they do a nice job and have high-quality support techs. The times that I've submitted tickets or called in, it's always been somebody who knows what they're talking about, friendly and knowledgeable. They can't make up for some of the flaws in the product, but they do the best they can with the product that they have, trying workarounds and even testing things in their lab while we're on the phone with them.  It's a pretty impressive support group.

We came to TeamViewer from LogMeIn and, before that, we had an older product called Timbuktu.

LogMeIn's main issue that caused us to switch was that the Hosts would just randomly turn themselves off:  the icon would grey out and the LogMeIn Control Panel would show that the Host was off.  This of course disabled access to Hosts in a random and widespread manner, and troubleshooting with LogMeIn Support over the period of a year resulted in no fixes or workarounds, and it was causing enormous problems in our environment.

LogMeIn also did not allow multiple controllers on a Host, had no file-transfer capabilities (in the affordable "LogMeIn Central" version that we licensed), was licensed based on the number of devices, and had annoyances with Control/Command-Tab mapping from Controller to Host.  These weren't showstoppers, but they helped to push us elsewhere.

TeamViewer deployment is fairly straightforward:  knowledgeable techs can configure Host settings, brand the Host, and mass-deploy it pretty easily. Manual setup on individual Hosts is very clunky and time-consuming compared to LogMeIn, however.

We deployed it very quickly. We had not made a final decision on LogMeIn until very close to when our LogMeIn's licenses were expiring. So very quickly, within a couple of days, they were able to push out the TeamViewer Host to all of our devices.

Initial setup and ongoing management of Groups and other central management tasks is messy, time-consuming, inelegant and makes no sense.  TeamViewer needs to take a hard look at their hodgepodge and take a good long peek at how LogMeIn Central works and....be more like LogMeIn in central management.

We evaluated and deployed completely in-house.

ROI-wise, the savings from licensing have more than been eaten up by the soft costs involved in dealing with and working around TeamViewer’s feature deficiencies on the macOS Host, the terrible central management design, and the lack of support for dynamic MAC addresses.  If the TeamViewer developers get their act together and improve the product in those areas, the ROI will improve significantly.

Ultimately, however, even with all of its warts and problems, it's still the best, most reliable and most affordable remote control product, at least for our environment.

TeamViewer pricing is reasonable.

It's licensed by simultaneous controlling tech, rather than by the device. I like that because previously it was always a struggle to keep the device list maintained. If we got rid of a device and we didn't remove LogMeIn properly, the device would remain in our LogMeIn Central account and use a license.

That's not a problem with TeamViewer's licensing, plus you can have as many techs as you want, but it monitors their simultaneous remote control usage with Hosts.  It can be a little tricky in the sense that you have to plan for the maximum simultaneous usage during busy times, and initially I didn't purchase enough licenses, but when we started hitting the limit, TeamViewer detected that and sent emails notifying us, then our sales rep very quickly added another license (allowing us to pay later via purchase order) to get us back in business.

In our environment, TeamViewer turns out to be less expensive than LogMeIn, at least so far.  We’re currently saving about 30 percent on licensing costs, and we don’t have to worry about maintaining/pruning the list of machines in the LogMeIn. TeamViewer's automatic emails telling us that we've hit the simultaneous limit includes stats on how many times it has happened recently, which helps in deciding whether to purchase an additional license.

This type of licensing does have a downside:  with LogMeIn, my staff were accused to controlling a client or a server and staying connected as needed, sometimes for hours if they were doing maintenance on a server or assisting a user with an intermittent issue.  But with TeamViewer, that chews up a simultaneous-use license and drives additional licensing costs, so we all have to remember to disconnect from Hosts.

We tested a number of other remote control solutions hoping for one that would stand out, because of the problems we had seen during our testing with TeamViewer on macOS. Unfortunately, they were all actually worse than TeamViewer.

In the end, before moving to TeamViewer, we evaluated LogMeIn, ConnectWise Control, Royal TSX, Devolutions, Dameware Remote, Goverlan Reach, and Radmin.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you're okay with the simultaneous tech licensing. In my environment that works out great but I'm not sure if that's appropriate for all environments. And, if you have macOS Hosts, just understand what you're getting into and carefully map out how you're going to give granular control for Hosts if you have techs that need to control the same Host from different departments/groups.

In terms of how many end-users we can support with one tech,TeamViewer is about the same as LogMeIn. TeamViewer did increase efficiency in multiple ways, but at the cost of some significant management headaches because of the multiple issues mentioned above.  So it may be pretty much a wash, at least until they fix some of the issues.

Avesh Meena
I like the ability to add any TeamViewer ID

What is our primary use case?

I wanted something which I could use to control other computers over the internet, and then I found TeamViewer, and it worked great. I can control any customer's PC right from my computer with ease.

How has it helped my organization?

TeamViewer improved my business because I can help my customer directly from here in very less time.

What is most valuable?

Ability to share any files among others Easy to use, and has a clean user interface Value for money Ability to add any TeamViewer ID.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing to improve; TeamViewer already works perfectly. But still, I think the price factor for small business.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Ability to share any files among others
  • Easy to use, and has a clean user interface
  • Value for money
  • Ability to add any TeamViewer ID.

Link Porterfield
Founding Member at epic.network
It saves trips to customer sites, which saves time

• "It saves trips to customer sites, which saves time. I am able to get in there remotely and fix things."
  • "The product and platform work well. That is why I have stay with them so long. The stability has typically been good."
  • "Support for mobile devices from Linux has been missing since the Native client was rolled out. This was a nice option, especially when trying to walk somebody who was struggling to understand something on their phone."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is remote support.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves trips to customer sites, which saves time. I am able to get in there remotely and fix things. Before having this tool, it involved having to touch the customer's PC, which required me to either talk to somebody on the phone through doing the process or go out to the customer's locations and install it myself.

I can grant permission to my organization so a person must be signed into TeamViewer if they're a member of my organization in order to be able to access that machine. In the event that a customer needs access, I can go ahead and define a policy either at an individual machine level for an individual user that we create, or we could conversely say somebody in the company needs to access all machines, which is great. We can go ahead and add that user to the access policy for all machines, so it is definitely robust like that.

What is most valuable?

It works well on a Linux laptop or desktop. Linux support has been huge for me because that is what I use for my computer systems. To be able to have something which works properly on the operating system that I prefer is great. I like to use the remote file transfer on occasion, but the remote desktop access is my number one most used feature.

It has good multi-tenant support. As an IT service provider, it has the configuration options required to make it work well across multiple customers, as it is highly configurable.

Its branding has been valuable for me.

What needs improvement?

Since TeamViewer version 13 introduced a Native Linux rather than running the Windows version through an emulation layer, that has been great. However, certain features didn't make it into the initial two releases. So far, the Linux version no longer has support for meetings. It wasn't a feature, and very often a group that we put together recently was looking for a way to do online meetings. I thought, "I have a subscription to TeamViewer that includes that." I do, but that function no longer works in Linux version. I am sort of waiting for that to come back.

Support for mobile devices from Linux has been missing since the Native client was rolled out. This was a nice option, especially when trying to walk somebody who was struggling to understand something on their phone. I don't do a whole lot of support for mobile devices, but if I could just direct them to the Google Play Store to go grab the TeamViewer app, they could give me a number to connect to and I could see the screen with them.

I'm very grateful that there is a Native Linux client. That is a step forward and in the right direction. It shows TeamViewer's commitment to the Linux platform. I am very pleased about it, but there are some things that I used to have when the Linux version was just the Windows version packaged with the necessary emulation layers to make it work. I miss some of those features which used to be there prior to the Native Linux version. Hopefully, they will make it back into the product in the not too distant future.

It would be nice to see some of those other features that we used to have come back, using them on Windows and Mac.

I can no longer connect via web links, which is not the end of the world, but it's a mild annoyance. I used to be able to click something from my browser, then boom, there you go. At the time, it was the old TeamViewer that was based on the Windows software. I had to take some initial steps to configure an environment where those links worked, but once Linux was up, it was no different than on Windows. I could be on the web or in a remote monitoring platform, and if I needed to connect with one of my client devices. I would select from there, and say, "Connect to TeamViewer," and it would jump right in. I can't do that anymore.

More than five years.

The product and platform work well. That is why I have stay with them so long. The stability has typically been good.

Scalability is hard to say, because I am the lowest scaled out degree of utilization. The clients that I use it on are relatively small. I am the only person using the tool at my company, as the founding member.

I am using it fairly extensively. It is on almost every customer computer that I support. Anyone who has a maintenance agreement with me will have a copy of it. At this time, that is under 100 customers.

I have done work for people who have used it in larger environments: Hundreds upon hundreds of teams running it. So, I have seen it perform well in a huge environment. I have seen it perform well in a large, multitenant environment.

I try to go to the TeamViewer forums before contacting their technical support. My interactions with the technical support has always positive.

The improvements since the Native release of the Linux version have been great. They have been good about addressing the most critical issues first. There was one that left many of us that work on Linux and support Windows machines, particularly in enterprise environments, having to press Control-Alt-Delete to log into a system. When the Linux client first came out, there was no way to send Control-Alt-Delete. How do you miss something that important? They were actually very quick in getting that fixed and rolling out a version that supported that.

They have been doing some support for ARM, which is sort of cool. That is the chip that runs the Raspberry Pi. While I don't know if it is all ARM devices, specifically Raspberry Pi support for Linux is something that you can get from TeamViewer, which is beneficial.

With Raspberry Pi out there with TeamViewer on it, you are not having to kick somebody at the customer site off of their computer in order to get access to a desktop, then fire up a browser to look at somethings locally. Therefore, it is nice to see support for it out there.

I came to be familiar with TeamViewer when I was trying to find a way to access Take Control from Linux. Instead, I found out it could be done with TeamViewer. That is what made me aware of TeamViewer and made me discover firsthand that it was a great solution.

I didn't replace another service. While I have used other technologies in the past, like VNC, they don't do exactly what TeamViewer does. If you wanted to use VNC remotely, you'd need to get your traffic through the firewall and take care of securing or encrypting that traffic yourself. Thus, it is not really in the same league of software. You have to bring your own security. With TeamViewer, you are encrypted out-of-the-box.

The initial setup was straightforward. I use the corporate plan now and have the installer pushed from my remote monitoring platform, so it's ridiculously simple these days.

Nowadays, the installation happens automatically, so it doesn't take any time at all. Basically, when I put my remote monitoring and management tool on the customer machine, it takes care of pulling it down, setting it up, and joining it to my account all on its own.

You can easily deploy a Raspberry Pi with Linux on it at a customer site with TeamViewer on it. Now, you have a machine at a customer site that you can get on it if you needed to use a web browser to look at things on the network, like a printer scanner, or multi function device interface. If your security policy was so you could only manage the firewall from inside of the LAN, then I tend to have some other methods for keeping the firewall secure. Still, this is something where there is a real value-add to it.

I don't have good numbers due to the small sample size.

The pricing and licensing are sort of high. Having been an early adopter of the subscription model, and primarily because version 11 was the last licensed version that I owned, when I was looking at 12, I was also looking at upgrading to corporate. I called TeamViewer sales and talked with them. At that point, subscription was a relatively new option. It was not even mentioned on the website at that time. However, it was pretty easy for me to look at my historical TeamViewer purchases in my accounting software and see that I was buying a new TeamViewer license every time a new version came out. So, switching to a subscription model wasn't going to be anything different than what I was already doing, so renewing the subscription every year was not any different than buying the upgraded version every year. There was good incentive to move from the middle tier to the corporate tier.

LogMeIn started this rush to higher prices whenever they got bought out and chopping off lower-end tiers. A lot of people in my industry had been using them for a long time. I never cared for their solution. I always thought it felt clunky and didn't think it worked well, but plenty of people did like it. I don't know if it was the pricing that was the primary draw, or what, but there were many people in my industry who were leaving LogMeIn after their 400 percent price hikes.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to learn what TeamViewer can do. Take advantage of some of the features that it offers. Learn some of the best ways to leverage its capabilities.

I have some Linux test virtual machines that I do connect to using TeamViewer. In the past, I connected to Android devices, but that functionality is currently missing from Linux.

TeamViewer had some negative press a few years back when some people had their accounts breached. TeamViewer was being used by bad actors to commit malicious acts on people's PCs, but that was not TeamViewer's fault. It was bad implementation by users. Despite the fact it wasn't TeamViewer's fault, TeamViewer still went above their obligation and helped make it easier for people to properly secure their accounts. I think they did a great job with that.

Increased TeamViewer usage would be hand-in-hand with increasing our customer base, so I both want and need a bigger customer base. Part of my standard support software stack is TeamViewer, so every new customer PC device which is added to the support contract would be one more deployment of a TeamViewer Host. So, I definitely plan to increase TeamViewer deployment.

AC
Unattended access with "single" login

What is our primary use case?

Accessing unattended servers, Mac, Linux, Windows, Raspberry.

What is most valuable?

Unattended access with "single" login.

What needs improvement?

The price is a killer for the amount I normally use it.

More than five years.

What is our primary use case?

Accessing unattended servers, Mac, Linux, Windows, Raspberry.

What is most valuable?

Unattended access with "single" login.

What needs improvement?

The price is a killer for the amount I normally use it.

Tawanda Sibanda
Sponsorship at World Vision Zimbabwe
Has the ability to view the client screen remotely and have full control of controls

What is our primary use case?

We use this product primarily for remote technical support and software upgrades. We have quite a number of computers in the field which would be costly to facilitate transportation to a service location.

How has it helped my organization?

It's faster to connect remotely than to facilitate transportation of equipment for service. Besides, it saves the organization tons of money.

What is most valuable?

• Viewing the client screen remotely and having full control of controls.
  • Instant messaging is also good.
  • Mobile device support is also great.

What needs improvement?

Wish it would support multiple support persons at the same time to assist a client for situations that need team collaboration.

The pro version never hangs up as long as it is up to date. That said, it's a stable product.

It's one of the best in my opinion, especially the pro which even multinational companies could use.

Got support documentation and never needed to call customer service.

Yes, indeed Skype, but that was an improvisation, the alternative solution was not suited for the purpose.

Quite easy to set up and straightforward.

We implemented this solution internally.

It's worth every penny; I would recommend it any time.

TeamViewer is affordable and also features a limited free version to test it out.

I have always known TeamViewer, but we tried some Microsoft solutions.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of performance, TeamViewer doesn't take much of your computer/device resources to run.

JM
Executive Director at netCorps
User
Used for ad hoc remote support of individuals. The business interface is clunky.

What is our primary use case?

IT help desk support for nonprofit organization of 200 computers. We purchased the product pre-installed with the TV in unattended access mode. We also use it for ad hoc remote support of individuals, primarily using TeamViewer QS.

How has it helped my organization?

Our computers are spread amongst six physical locations. TeamViewer reduces the need to travel to those offices to help staff.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is you do not need to know the Windows username and password to connect and see the staff screen.

What needs improvement?

The business interface is clunky and not well-documented.  It should have ability to display notes in the computer list.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• The business interface is clunky and not well-documented.
  • It should have ability to display notes in the computer list.

it_user723996
Associate General Counsel at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​Very easy to setup. Computer novices can install it.

What is our primary use case?

I use it to train remote employees on the database and to troubleshoot their computer for them

How has it helped my organization?

Before TeamViewer, our remote personnel had to rely on taped video training, but now they get one-on-one training as I walk them through things on their computers.

What is most valuable?

The ease in which it operates. I have been able to get complete computer novices in different time zones to download and install the program with ease so that I could troubleshoot their computer issues.

What needs improvement?

Only the paid version allows for file transfer. Also, it is annoying that I have to upgrade every time they release a new version because I can't use an older version to access a new one even if my version is paid and their version is a trial.

Only stability issues were due to Internet speed or instability.

No, it is easily scalable.

Satisfactory

Yes, we used LogMeIn. A colleague turned me onto this as a cheaper alternative that works even better.

Very easy to setup. I have gotten computer novices to install and run the program with just a few word of instruction.

There is a free version. Try it out. You will like it. Then, at the end of the trial, make the purchase at the tier that fits your needs. You can always scale up.

Yes, LogMeIn. I preferred TeamViewer though.

What other advice do I have?

Try the free version to evaluate. I am sure you will be satisfied.

it_user560283
Engineering Aide at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most important feature is remote access.

What is most valuable?

I only use TeamViewer for troubleshooting methods when the students or staff members are unable to come to the IT desk.

• The most important aspect of the software is remote access
  • Helps alleviate confusion with directions over the phone
  • Security: The user can input their credentials, personal information such as usernames, passwords, and secure payment methods without the risk of the IT personnel using it maliciously.

How has it helped my organization?

This software is a lifesaver for distant and commuter students who cannot physically be on campus. As a school's main IT support center, we use this software constantly. Many students keep the program on their desktops so it is easy to remotely connect to their devices.

What needs improvement?

Unfortunately, the software is hit or miss when it comes to iOS devices, especially Macs. It seems that the new updates may have included better iOS supported drivers. However, when we used the software, it only worked a handful of times.

I have used this software from September-May of the 2015-2016 school year at Stevens. We still use the software to remotely connect into domain computers and laptops on our wireless network.

Overall, we did not encounter stability issues. For the most part, TeamViewer is a headache reliever. Even though the connection between the two devices may drop every once and a while, it is primarily successful.

There have been no issues with scalability.

It was very simple to set up on both the IT and the student side. We have a link to the main TeamViewer website in our university portal that gives straightforward instructions on how to install the software properly.

What other advice do I have?

Use this product. It is so easy to use and it makes students and staff happy. Older staff and professors are amazed that I can control their machines remotely, almost like a wizard.

it_user560280
Technical Support Specialist at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
I can gain remote access and help customers. I had an issue where my mouse clicks weren’t being registered.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to remotely access a customer’s computer, especially with unattended access granted.
  • I have time to dig through configuration files and logs to analyze issues customers don’t always want to stand by and watch.
  • The product can transfer patches and firmware upgrades through the connection, since some of them are too big for email attachments.

How has it helped my organization?

I use it all the time so I can see the customer issues and interact with them live. This is opposed to being sent screenshots and having to describe to someone how to gain super user access and execute the system level commands that need to be run after a file has been edited.

This prevents having to expose curious people to a world of fragility, that most don’t understand. They could potentially break inside their appliance and void their warranty.

What needs improvement?

I had an issue recently where my mouse clicks weren’t being registered. I had to ask the customer to click on the things I needed.

I have used TeamViewer for 3 to 4 years personally for access to my personal computers. I have used it for a year professionally as a technical support specialist.

I have not yet encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

The initial setup was simple.

We evaluated GoToMeeting, GoToAssist, and RealVNC.

What other advice do I have?

It’s pretty dependable and very easy to use. I would recommend it to any IT professional who needs remote access to customer computers.

it_user550149
Application Support Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Enables me to connect to the machine of another user and see what that person sees.

What is most valuable?

• Ability to connect to the machine of another user and see what that person sees
  • Closes many communication gaps that confront customer support departments
  • Chat functionality: Enables you to communicate in real-time with the user while monitoring their screen

How has it helped my organization?

Working with TeamViewer has made customer support work more efficient. It aids in the communication between support and remote customers.

What needs improvement?

The voice chat could be better.

I’ve been sporadically using this software for over 10 years, both for personal and work purposes.

I encountered no stability issues.

I encountered no scalability issues.

I’ve never been in touch with TeamViewer’s technical support.

I have not used a different solution before.

The initial setup was easy via the installation wizard.

I wouldn’t be able to judge this, as I use the free version for personal purposes. My manager has arranged the professional version for business purposes.

I did not evaluate other options.

Evrard Armel N'chott
Co-founder & Digital Transformation Officer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to support users remotely.

What is most valuable?

No configuration required; it starts quickly and is easy to use. High security. International (more than 30 languages). Multi-platform (PC, mobile phones, etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

Users can be easily supported remotely.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to see TeamViewer load screens faster.

I have used this product since 2009.

I would rate technical support as 8/10.

I’m using two solutions due to company policies.

The initial configuration is very simple. There is no need to be computer literate to do it.

What is most valuable?

• No configuration required; it starts quickly and is easy to use.
  • High security.
  • International (more than 30 languages).
  • Multi-platform (PC, mobile phones, etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

Users can be easily supported remotely.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to see TeamViewer load screens faster.

I have used this product since 2009.

I would rate technical support as 8/10.

I’m using two solutions due to company policies.

We evaluated RemotePC, Windows Remote Desktop and Microsoft Lync.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead, it’s the best of all the remote access software products.

IT Support and Development at a local government with 51-200 employees
Remote access software enabling troubleshooting regardless of location.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use. We enjoy being able to save remote computer information for quick access.

How has it helped my organization?

I can effectively remotely troubleshoot personnel issues no matter where they are!

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can think of is a quick-deploy / auto-installer for the end users.

We have used the solution for two years.

We have not yet encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

We haven't yet contacted technical support.

We used Chrome Remote Desktop. CRD was unstable and lost connectivity often.

The setup was straightforward. Just install and run at host and remote computers.

The pricing structure under which I purchased has been great because as long as the remote and host computers are running the same version, there is no need to upgrade.

We evaluated LogMeIn.

What other advice do I have?

From a cost perspective, it's a great buy.

Director at Morpheus Technologies Ltd
Two of us use it to manage about 500 machines.

What is most valuable?

• Unattended Remote Access
  • Collaboration with partners with all communication channels available at the same time

How has it helped my organization?

There are only two of us in the core of the company and we manage about 500 machines based in the UK, mainland Europe, US, Hong Kong, China and South Africa.

What needs improvement?

ITBrain should be embedded in the product and not an expensive add-on.

We have possibly been using it since TeamViewer 1.x; most certainly, since version 2.x.

We have only rarely encountered stability issues, and when it does happen, it can often be attributed to the state of the remote machine.

Once again, we have only occasionally encountered scalability issues; not often enough to worry us.

We hardly have to use technical support. When I have in the past, they have been very good: prompt, professional and usually accurate.

We previously used many solutions, such as VNC Viewer, and had so many issues, as the software was never designed to be so dynamic and was resource hungry.

For IT professionals… installation is a doddle!

I think it’s a top product, but due to our company size, we find the pricing heavy… Nevertheless, as long as it remains number one, we have to grumble and get on with it.

Once we tested it and used it ‘in anger’, there was no need to look elsewhere. We started on the free versions that were available at the time. As we became more and more reliant on the product, with increased collaboration, the need to up the level of the product became apparent. Which product version to buy was the only option under consideration.

What other advice do I have?

Test it first and determine whether it’s the right technical product for your company, then evaluate your cost options and if they agree, go for it.

CEO with 51-200 employees
It does not require firewall or port configuration. I'd like an easier way to share and combine contact lists.

What is most valuable?

• Quick support option
  • File transfer
  • No firewall or port configuration

How has it helped my organization?

- Quicker and easier to connect to our customers’ PCs to resolve software issues

What needs improvement?

- An easier way to share and combine contact lists

I have used it for over four years.

I have not encountered any stability issues so far.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I have not had to use technical support.

I previously used VNC and pcAnywhere. They are obsolete; had to configure firewalls and ports.

Initial setup was simple. It was easy to install; add a license key and set up a contacts list.

Our customers use the free version, as they rarely need to use it.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated LogMeIn.

What other advice do I have?

Get the license that suits your needs and causes the least conflict with their clients when new versions are released.

Network Technician at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
ITBrain monitoring lets me track hard disk space, processor usage and lots more.

What is most valuable?

• The new two-factor authentication is a very good addition to security.
  • ITBrain monitoring, which lets me track hard disk space, processor usage and lots more.
  • Adding custom logos is a nice feature too, especially for IT companies that provide services to customers.

How has it helped my organization?

We don't use it in my current workplace. However, I proposed it for consideration in the budget, because of the highly centralised way it works.

What needs improvement?

They really need an AMT client and/or iLO client for business use. Big companies would love it.

I have used it for almost five years (personal use).

I have not encountered any stability issues at all. It’s by far the most stable remote software I’ve tested, except for RDP.

I’ve seen it run and connect to a small 500-1000 end-devices company without a problem. At a higher level, I’m not sure, but it’s promising. I’m sure they have some big names in their portfolio.

I’ve never had the chance to talk to technical support.

It’s the other way around now: We have a different solution and we want to switch to TeamViewer.

All the installers are easy to use and also not too hard to deploy silently.

The licensing is pretty straightforward: number of devices and number of remote administrators.

I also looked at Bomgar, LogMeIn, Radmin and DameWare; also at open-source options like VNC and RDC.

What other advice do I have?

Talk to the sales person and ask all the questions you have. Make sure it is the right solution for you before you strike a deal.

Web Administrator at a sports company with 51-200 employees
It’s primary function of RDP is the product’s most valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

It’s primary function of RDP is the product’s most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been a great way of allowing multiple users both registered and unregistered to use RDP, from both system management and use points of view - as well as using it to support remote users.

What needs improvement?

Clipboard management could be better. As could the drag-and-drop file upload/download function (especially when multiple monitors are involved).

For the clipboard management aspect of improvement it would be nice to have some sort of user isolation in regards to the clipboard. You’re already logged in to an account for TeamViewer, but if multiple people are connected (even if not actively on the same remote machine), the clipboard is shared for everyone. So it’s very possible to copy a block of text and when pasting you end up pasting a completely different block of text. Even a clipboard viewer would be nice – maybe show the last 3 or 4 copies so if someone else did copy as well you could at least see it.

For the drag and drop issue, if dragging from a remote TeamViewer window you have to drag and drop on to the same monitor. And there can’t be any other windows in the background you are moving over; otherwise the transfer won’t work. Often times we have multiple remote machines open on one monitor that often overlap. Having to shuffle screens around on the desktop is tedious just to be able to drag and drop. So we end up using the file transfer window process instead. So it’s a “neat feature” to have drag and drop, but implementation has a few pitfalls.

I have used it for four years.

There have been a few times when TeamViewer has been down globally, so that’s definitely an issue for consideration.

I have not had any scalability issues. It’s worked really well for one-machine access for home use, as well with 30+ servers and multiple open connections.

Technical support is usually prompt and helpful. Following their Twitter feed helps with monitoring for external issues and outages.

I have used several different variations of RDP from pcAnywhere to straight Windows RDP. TeamViewer is very easy to set up, use, and instruct others to get running, which is great for support. Very little if any fiddling with firewall rules is needed, so that’s a real plus.

Initial setup was very straightforward. There are multiple installs depending on what you need (host, client, etc.), and it’s easy to switch from one to another or just disable the features that aren’t needed.

The free version is great to get started with and for a lot of people, it might be all that is needed. If you are going to be using multiple machines with multiple connections, you’ll need to consider the enterprise version.

I did not evaluate any software prior to starting to use TeamViewer. The company was already using it when I was hired. But it’s definitely better than a lot of the other RDP clients out there.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on usage, one thing to watch for is the shared clipboard feature. It is nice to have the ability to share the clipboard between machines. However, it also shares it among all the users connected to the same machines. So, in our case, we’d have 4-8 different users connected randomly to different machines. And the clipboards would sometime transfer from user to another. So something that was copied from one user was pasted into another user’s work (can be both frustrating and comical at times).

It is possible to lose connectivity due to external issues, so that might be something to consider.

As with all RDP clients and the functions that they provide, pay close attention to application security parameters, as well as security on the machines themselves. You are opening a direct line of communication to your machines, so tread carefully.

it_user494088
Server and Applications Specialist at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
You can save remote machines to your account. Once logged in to the product, all saved machines are just a double-click away. It times out; I would like it to not time out at all.

Valuable Features:

Easy-to-save access to remote machines: TeamViewer allows you to save machines to your account, which allows you to remote into a machine with ease. Once logged into TeamViewer, all of the machines that are saved to your account are on the right side and you are able to remote into them by double-clicking on them.

Simple connection method.

Ability to transfer files from and to remote machines.

Improvements to My Organization:

It allows for easier after-hour server updates/upgrades without requiring to go on site.

Room for Improvement:

I would like it to have the ability to stay connected for longer times. Current and previous releases seem to time out after long periods of remote access. I am not sure what the timeout is set to. I would like it to not time out at all. I sometimes need to stay remoted into machines for a few hours to diagnose problems and I have been kicked out when the current timeout period expires.

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for over six years.

Deployment Issues:

I have only run into issues on a few machines while installing the software, but it was never because of the software.

I have only called to add a user license and it was a quick call.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it in-house.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Pricing is on par with competitors, but still a bit high for what the service actually is.

Other Solutions Considered:

I currently have to use LogMeIn and GoToAssist for certain machines. Both of these pieces of software fall short in many ways compared to TeamViewer.

Computer Repair at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
It has a chat module, so you don’t have to use an external chat facility.

What is most valuable?

• Personal users can use this app for free.
  • External cursor view.
  • Terminal Services-like services such as use of USB on remote desktop.
  • Chat module, to instruct/inform the user on the remote desktop. We don’t have to use an external chat facility such as Skype.
  • File transfer for exchanging files
  • Scalability. Being able to use it at full screen makes it easier to work in and with
  • Remote booting. TeamViewer has a nice utility to remotely reboot a system. So to do that, it's not needed to have someone physically do that at the remote location. During a remote desktop session, you don't want switch back and forth from and to the TeamViewer window. Instead, while you're working, you want to inform, guide or direct someone on the other side to carry out some physical actions you can't do yourself, as you're not there at the remote location, such as shut a system down or pull the power cord out to reset the power supply.

How has it helped my organization?

In a Windows environment, you would have to use Terminal Services Server for this.

What needs improvement?

In the past, use in wireless environments caused buffering due to limited bandwidth.

I started to use TeamViewer in 2008.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues yet.

Technical support is 8/10.

We used Terminal Services Server, which is obviously expensive.

In both personal and commercial use, initial setup was straightforward.

TeamViewer is a professional, flexible solution and platform independent, so it's worth it's price.

I evaluated Terminal Services, pcAnywhere, DameWare, VNC, Windows RDC (professional only).

What other advice do I have?

For both personal and commercial use, if you are looking for ease of use and flexibility, TeamViewer is a good choice.

Project Manager - IT Infrastructure team at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps us assist non-native English speaking remote users. Someone can connect directly to their PC and help them, without having to translate on the phone or by email.

What is most valuable?

The ability to control a remote client or server from anywhere in the world and from lots of different devices. We have 100 remote users, some of which are non-English speaking. In the past, you had to try to help them over the phone and explain technical terms and procedures. Now, they simply send their TeamViewer user ID and password, and someone can connect directly to their PC and help them.

How has it helped my organization?

We have hundreds of remote key users, a lot of whom are non-native English speakers. Using TeamViewer allows my team & I to resolve any issue directly, without having to translate on the phone or by email.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to be able to have two simultaneous sessions open on two different screens; this would increase productivity.

I’ve been using it successfully for two years.

I only encountered stability issues with the personal/free version, never with the corporate version.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

In general, for the corporate version, it is excellent.

I had used other remote options such as WebEx, LogMeIn, RDP sessions, etc., but none of them offered the range of features and reliability of TeamViewer.

It’s very easy. The application install is straightforward and registering the licence was also very easy.

Be sure you are compliant in licencing and choose the version which is suitable for your needs.

What other advice do I have?

Try it on your personal PC as a personal free licence first.

it_user494841
Technical Service Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides easy access to large files than cannot be sent via email.

What is most valuable?

• Remote control function
  • Function to copy across data from source machine to destination

These provide easy access to large files that cannot be sent via email.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped me help users from different sides of the building.

What needs improvement?

I believe the graphical resolutions can be improved on the product, as apart from this, the product is very easy to use and easy on the eye.

I have been using it for more than two years.

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues at all.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I would happily recommend this product for both personal and commercial reasons because of its price and also because of its ease of use.

it_user493536
IT Operations Manager at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to connect to and control remote PCs across various NAT and firewall barriers.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to connect to and control remote PCs across various NAT and firewall barriers.
  • The ability to interact with the computer prior to end-user login.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of remote offices, and without the ability to remotely control the computers at these properties, my job would be much more difficult to perform. I'd otherwise have to jump on a plane to address any and every hardware or end-user situation that pops up. Other competing products, such as LogMeIn and VNC Server, don't offer the same mix of functionality and security.

What needs improvement?

Quick User Switching has a very nasty tendency to render the screen output unstable. If my remote work requires switching logins on the remote computer, TeamViewer's video output will cut out completely and I'd have to instruct the end user over the phone to either restart the computer, or end and then restart the session in order to restore video output. In cases where even this doesn't resolve the issue, I've had to resort to the built-in RDP application in Windows, which, of course, makes it impossible for the end user to interact with the computer for troubleshooting.

I have used this solution for two years.

TeamViewer apparently has compatibility issues with Dell's ImageAssist utility (which we use to author and deploy corporate Windows 10 images). Specifically, the way it interacts with a computer's video drivers isn't exactly supported, so I've had to install it post-imaging. That's likely a problem that Dell has to get straightened out.

I've used several flavors of VNC apps in the past. They were OK, but it took work to make them secure out of the box (insofar as a VNC solution can be secure). I've used LogMeIn before also, but it didn't provide the same level of functionality and versatility as TeamViewer. Plus, it had trouble traversing some firewall solutions.

Initial setup was straightforward. Nothing complicated. Just kept clicking Next, basically.

An in-house team implemented it. My advice would be to research how the program interacts with your imaging solution if you're baking it into your corporate image.

$3000+ for a corporate license was steep, I must say. But if your options are between remote support and hopping on a plane (such being the case in my company and industry), you'll make the money back in saved travel expenses alone.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say consider TeamViewer if your company has several geographically separate branch offices. If you're primarily supporting systems in a single building, I think more cost-effective solutions are available. But of course, go with what works best for your given network setup.

it_user493527
Business Analyst at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
It reconnects automatically when there are connection issues.

Valuable Features:

Just being able to dial in on a clients server is all I need, and it reconnects automatically when there are connection issues.

Improvements to My Organization:

We only use it when our default remote viewer is not working. So it serves as a backup.

Room for Improvement:

When clients have a newer version installed and we only have a license for version 8, there are issues. If they could allow older versions to connect to newer versions, that would be great. Right now, when you only have a license for version 8, for example, and a client has version 9+, you can't connect and the client actually has to downgrade to a lower version.

What happens is that if we only have a license for TeamViewer 8 we can only connect to clients machines that have TeamViewer 8 on. Most clients download the latest version (0, 10, 11) and only after installing TeamViewer on their side and after trying to connect we need to inform the client that we only have a TeamViewer 8 license.

Use of Solution:

I have used the solution for five years.

Deployment Issues:

We have not had any deployment, stability or scalability issues beyond the above-mentioned issues on different versions.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was straightforward.

Implementation Team:

An in-house team did the implementation.

Other Solutions Considered:

TeamViewer is our backup; we are currently using RDP and Radmin.

Other Advice:

It's a good product.

Analist / developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
You can have more than one active session to control a PC and a smart-phone of the same user at the same time.

What is most valuable?

I very much like the stability and speed of TeamViewer. Teamviewer has never crashed, connects for 99.99% without delays in only a few seconds. When connected, it's like you work on the remote machine like you would locally, no delays, no sluggishness, just perfect.

It has a lot of features (of which I only use about half). There are a lot of features which can be configured as you like to work. However, there are two categories that I never use although they can be very handy.

1. Communications: provides build in audio and video between parties. I personally use Skype for this because it is my preferred way of communication for years and most of my customers have it too. I guess for other users this may be a huge benefit because if the remote side has no communication software installed, you have one build in.
  2. Most of the files & share options: Remote print, VPN, screen-shot, session recording, share via ... are options I don't use because I have no need for them but I'm sure they have great benefits for people who do. For screen-shots I use Faststone Capture for everything so it's easier for me to use that in Teamviewer too.

A major advantage is that it is available for almost all of the operating systems including Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and so on. You can have more than one active session, so imagine that you can remotely control a PC and a smart-phone of the same user at the same time.

When a customer want to connect his smart-phone with his PC and there are problems, you can take over the phone in one session and open a second session for the PC. You can very easy switch between them.
When several users need some updates, you can open a session for each of them. Starting the updates on the first machine and while waiting, switch and start the update on the second machine, etc.

What needs improvement?

This sounds really strange but, at the moment, we can't think of any improvements in the scope of this product for our company. It already has everything we need and it works like a dream.

In the years I have used TeamViewer, everything that I missed was already added. So, over the last year, there was never a time that I wished for something more or different that what I have now.

For me, it is a perfect product and I really don't know anything that I can think of that would make the product easier or better.

The only thing I wish for is a better price for small users.

I have used this solution for about 5 years.

Since we have been using TeamViewer, we have never experienced any issue. This sounds like paid sales text but it isn't.

Customer service is very good. The people at TeamViewer are listening to what you want and try to help.

Technical support is very good. Although we have had no problems, we had some questions about a few settings in TeamViewer and we got a no-nonsense response immediately.

I have used/tried most of the existing remote access solutions. It was an ongoing search between software and services. After too many problem with a product, I searched for other solutions.

It was the most simple setup I ever had with any software. Download, install with only a few settings to choose and start using it.

I installed it myself; no team needed; everyone can do this. I have no advice for implementation. Just install it and use it. If you have a team that is going to use it, you have to buy a license accordingly; that's all.

Noncommercial use: Free.

Commercial use with only a few (paying) customers: It depends on the amount of time you use TeamViewer and what the customer is willing to pay.

Commercial use: Prices of the licenses are somewhat high but ROI can be achieved very quickly in many cases.

TeamViewer was, from the first use, my favorite. After about five years of use, I never have had the need to look for other solutions.

Desktop Support Technician at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Wide support of platforms allows for a single solution.

Valuable Features:

Cross platform compatibility File exchange Remote control

Improvements to My Organization:

Saves travel time.  Wide support of platforms allows for a single solution.

Room for Improvement:

Full integration of computer's user account system.  Be able to login using the local computer's credentials rather than setting up a unique Teamviewer account/password. Multiple session support.   Be able to login into the same computer but have multiple sessions for each user. Concurrent login. Speed

Valuable Features:

• Cross platform compatibility
  • File exchange
  • Remote control

Improvements to My Organization:

Saves travel time.  Wide support of platforms allows for a single solution.

Room for Improvement:

• Full integration of computer's user account system.  Be able to login using the local computer's credentials rather than setting up a unique Teamviewer account/password.
  • Multiple session support.   Be able to login into the same computer but have multiple sessions for each user. Concurrent login.
  • Speed
it_user457899
IT Admin at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
The "actions" to send keyboard commands, remote reboot, chat, and the settings are the valuable features.

What is most valuable?

I think "actions" to send keyboard commands, remote reboot, chat, and the settings. They are the most valuable because many technicians will tell you how they've encountered problems finishing work on a system and can't complete it because they can't remote back in without assistance from someone physically onsite. The same goes for keyboard commands, as I can use "Ctrl+Alt+Del" and other commands which has helped me to save time and energy traveling to site.

What needs improvement?

The one area which needs improvement for both the standalone and enterprise versions would be "inter-operability" between versions. For all the features it offers why isn't it able to work with using backward compatibility. As if one system is using a newer version than mine, I cant connect. If I have a newer version, it may not allow me to connect. For the level of use this app has, this in my opinion shouldn't be an issue. It's possible the app has some inner workings and other advanced features I have not used or tried.

I have used TeamViewer independently via my own personal account starting circa 2009 and have on occasion used it in its enterprise form for nearly the same time.

I've performed a deployment.

I have never had to contact customer support for any connection issues. I have been able to resolve the issues myself as it. Normally any issue simply requires someone to be onsite to restart the service and ensure TeamViewer was on and running correctly.

I have previously worked with RescueMe, formerly LogMeIn and Bogmar. I believe that this is the only utility that allows chat, file transfer, "screenswapping", remoting in, and inviting attendees to a meeting.

I assumed there was no way to setup without obtaining the 'users' approval. As I continued to learn it, I was able to delve into its features and taught myself, although I've still not tried nor completely worked out the "LAN-Wake Up" feature.

What other advice do I have?

I would note that if you're working for/from an enterprise standpoint, two imperatives would be to ensure all clients are running the same version. My other advice would be to assign an individual to maintain the "alias" names of all connected systems and/or groups. In the past I have frequently had to go into properties and modify the information. Similarly, I've had issue connecting to users as that information wasn't updated and it slowdowns work if you then have to resolve this first.

it_user457308
IT Manager at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

I love the speed of the tool and I find the dashboard to be very user-friendly. I don’t need to peck and find what I’m looking for.

How has it helped my organization?

I use this almost daily to log into users computers across the nation. It has enable me to troubleshoot issues much quicker than trying to talk someone else through things. It allows for nearly instantaneous troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

Oftentimes, the session window blocks view of the system tray. I’d like to be able to minimize it or move it.

I've used this solution for two years, including some time with previous versions.

I have installed it on several devices without issue.

We had no issues with the performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

I haven't ever needed to use it.

I used to use LogMeIn but it seemed cumbersome and slow.

It's easy and I have had novices install it no problem.

I personally did an individual implementation as needed on a gradual basis until we were all using it.

What other advice do I have?

Do it, but try the free basic version first.

Regional IT at a maritime company with 501-1,000 employees
A Linux version would be good but you will never want to use another remote service product again.

What is most valuable?

One of the functional capabilities for TeamViewer is that it is able to bypass any corporate firewall (using the standard internet port 80, and port 443) that enables us to provide off-site IT service and support when our corporate travelers are out of the office/town, and when they need IT assistance. Whatever location they are in, as long as they have internet access, we are able to provide the necessary IT services and support by connecting remotely to their machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Once, our company president was unable to launch his email on his notebook during one of his business trips. When the IT help-desk received his call (in the middle of the night), the help-desk personnel were able to resolve the problem in less than two minutes through the use of the TeamViewer host being installed on his notebook in the first place. Our company president was very impressed by the immediate resolution and was very satisfied with it.

What needs improvement?

A Linux version would be great as well.

I started off evaluating TeamViewer 7 as a trial solution for the company, in order to resolve issues with the long distance remote IT service and support.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

I have never ever had to call the TeamViewer customer service hotline because the product is a very simple piece of software to use.

I have never ever had to call the TeamViewer technical hotline because the product is a very simple piece of software to use.

We used VNC software for remote support within office premises, but as the business requirement changed, we had to make the change from VNC to TeamViewer.

It's as simple as A-B-C as the full version and host version are very simple to install. Even a non IT person would be able to install it onto a computer through the simple user-interface screen guide.

The implementation was done by an in-house team.

The costs of the licenses are huge. Therefore, for a small size business company with less than 250 users in Asia, the ROI will take a long time to recover.

We projected to purchase the licenses for the IT team to have the full-version while the rest of the users would only have the host version. In the end, we purchased five user licenses for the full version.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

To date, I have seen the growth of TeamViewer grow from strength to strength for other capabilities such as Mac, mobile device support, whiteboard tools, on-line meetings session. Once you use it, you will never want to use another remote service product again.

it_user3957
Head of IT with 51-200 employees
Free. Good for screen sharing and remote control. Limited video and web conferencing functionality.
Pros: Free Good for screen sharing and remote control Cons: Small video display Requires a client (not very heavy) Basic web conferencing functionality For how long have you used this product? - Just evaluated it for a short period Which features of this product are most valuable to you? - Screenshare, remote control What areas of this product have room for improvement? - Option to view larger video displays, share specific apps, web access Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability? - no Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch? - Used many other online meeting solutions. Will review more. Was the initial setup straightforward or complex? In what ways? - straightforward Did you implement…

Pros:
Free
Good for screen sharing and remote control

Cons:
Small video display
Requires a client (not very heavy)
Basic web conferencing functionality

For how long have you used this product?
- Just evaluated it for a short period

Which features of this product are most valuable to you?
- Screenshare, remote control

What areas of this product have room for improvement?
- Option to view larger video displays, share specific apps, web access

Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability?

Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch?
- Used many other online meeting solutions. Will review more.

Was the initial setup straightforward or complex? In what ways?
- straightforward

Did you implement through a vendor team or an in-house one? If through a vendor team, how would you rate their level of expertise?
- self service

What was your original setup cost for this product and what is your day-to-day cost of using this product?
- Minimum cost for business is $749 one time perpetual license

What advice would you give to others looking into implementing this product?
- good tool for support but not for most online meeting use cases