Teradata Overview

Teradata is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Relational Databases. It is most often compared to Oracle Exadata: Teradata vs Oracle Exadata

What is Teradata?

Teradata's portfolio of big data analytic solutions, integrated marketing applications, and services help organizations gain a sustainable competitive advantage with data.

Download the Relational Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Teradata Customers
Netflix
Teradata Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

BN
Auditor Federal de Finanças e Controle at CGU
Scalable solution that takes advantage of massive parallel processing

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is the Transparency Portal of the Brazilian Government. Teradata provides the database infrastructure for this analytical site that is able to create an online BI experience that provides details on how the Brazilian government spends public money.

How has it helped my organization?

Teradata has allowed us to provide an online BI solution that no other player was able to do.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most valuable is its ability to perform Massive Parallel Processing.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improved Knowledge Base on the web.

Three to five years.

There are two…
Associate Consultant at BT5 Business & Technology 5 Consulting
It handles large amounts of information with a linear performance increase

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for retail and customer behavior modeling. We handle a billion records from different sources to create a consolidated feed for KXEN analysis and customer behavior modeling.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed our organization, a retail company, to focus on timely marketing campaigns for the proper customers.

What is most valuable?

It handles large amounts of information with a linear performance increase, in relation to a HW investment. It has a solid set of tools and consulting services.

What needs improvement?

A more transparent integration with Aster solutions. An even deeper focus in data sciences. A teaching web site with more training on third-party tools used for BI (data sciences).

For how long

Find out what your peers are saying about Teradata, Microsoft, Oracle and others in Relational Databases. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager Performance Systems at Telstra
User
Massive parallel processing ability to do large amounts of concurrent querying

What is our primary use case?

We use it for enterprise data warehouse (EDW) with on-premise hardware. The company uses EDW for most MIS functions.

How has it helped my organization?

It has massive parallel processing ability to do large amounts of concurrent querying. It has given our business the ability to gain insights into the data and create data labs for analysis and PoCs.

What is most valuable?

Speed of complex queries and the ability to schedule give business users time to analyse data rather than waiting for queries to run.

What needs improvement?

We are using an older version at the moment. We are looking for a more flexible cost model for the next version that we use, whether it be cloud or on-premise.

More than five…
Technical Manager at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
High transaction processes, as well as the reporting system, need improvement

What is our primary use case?

• "We tried to use case Teradata for a data warehouse system, but we had some problems in relation to the Teradata system, CDC tools, and source databases. We were unable to transfer data from HPE Integrity mainframe to Teradata."
    • "There is a need to improve performance in high transaction processes, as well as the reporting system."

What other advice do I have?

I rate Teradata two out of 10. At first, support was very good, but during and after they ended their operation in Turkey it was very bad. We had some agreements and they gave us some promises but... We bought it three years ago but we couldn't use it in production. We have SAP IQ data warehouse now and I don't have a major problem. I would recommend SAP IQ for data warehouse. If you are going to buy Teradata, you have to make a very solid contract with them.
    Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Cuts time to process huge amounts of data with efficient analytical queries

What is our primary use case?

As a contractor for various companies working in various industries, we usually find Teradata in financial organizations. It is often being used for relational data storage for huge data warehouses (usually built on Inmon principles) or as storage for building analytical data marts. Teradata is positioned as a high-performance solution for heavy analytical queries and, in fact, it is. Moreover, Teradata is typically supplied with the whole ecosystem of its tools (like Viewpoint), but I have not extensively used them.

• "Cuts time to process huge amounts of data with efficient analytical queries."
    • "A conventional and easily defined way to build a data warehouse or a layer of data marts."
    • "Teradata can be easily used in ETL mode transformations, so there is no need for expensive and inconvenient ETL tools"
    • "Query language and its functionality are rather limited, compared to Oracle or even SQL Server. However, it is possible to perform any kind of logic in it (though some workarounds may be required)."
    • "Data ingestion is done via external utilities and not by the query language itself. It would be more convenient to have that functionality within its SQL dialect."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10. It is definitely the best RDBMS I have ever worked with, in the sense of building a data warehouse. It is fast, and easy to use in terms of writing queries. However, you have to understand the specifics of the data storage and its technical architecture, which is not typical for an RDBMS. In terms of advice, I would suggest your provide training for your personnel, because it is rather important to understand the technical specifics of Teradata to create efficient solutions with it. Other RDBMS's usually requires knowledge of generic theory, but that will not work…
    SystemAnalyst
    Enables auto-partitioning and indexing, and resource allocation on the fly

What is our primary use case?

Business intelligence and data warehousing solutions for our client.

What is most valuable?

Auto-partitioning and indexing, and resource allocation on the fly.

What needs improvement?

Compatibility with more Big Data platforms.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Teradata at eight out of 10. It provides high performance.
    Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    ​Building a data warehouse with it has helped a lot of our downstream applications to more easily access information

What is our primary use case?

Building a single truth database (Enterprise Data Warehouse) where all the enterprise data is integrated at one place.

• "It has reduced a lot of reworking on maintaining indexes, partitions, etc."
    • "​Building a data warehouse with Teradata has definitely helped a lot of our downstream applications to more easily access information."
    • "​Parallel processing features have helped to easily dump any size of data and retrieve data with great performance."
    • "It would help to make scaling easier with a reduced cost. ​"
    Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    ​We enjoy the FastLoad, TPump, and MultiLoad features

What is our primary use case?

Its primary use is a superfast database.

How has it helped my organization?

Things have started moving faster in my company, such as data retrieval happens more quickly.

What is most valuable?

We really enjoy the FastLoad, TPump, and MultiLoad features.

What needs improvement?

I think the UI is not there yet. It could be improved by being more user-friendly.

It is faster than Oracle, and that is what we need.
    Manager BI Development at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Performance when processing terabytes of data, and the scalability are key for us

• "The key advantages are Performance when processing Terabytes of data and scalability."
    • "The following could be better: licensing, architecture openness, integration with other tools."

What other advice do I have?

If you have purchased the hardware/software, focus on architecture and the design of data layers.
    Senior Java Developer at EPAM Systems at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Improved the performance of our ETL procedures and reporting

• "Improved performance of ETL procedures, reporting."
    • "We did performance testing. We had a set of real life MicroStrategy reports. Our conditions were: Not allowed to redesign data model, not allowed to rewrite the queries, all queries should be generated by MicroStrategy, no aggregates. Teradata appeared to be way faster than a similarly configured (in terms of hardware) Oracle server."
    • "GUI of administrative tools is really outdated."

What other advice do I have?

Go with the Enterprise series and don't waste time and money on 25xx. Sooner or later you will migrate anyway, so don't even start with departmental solutions.
    Solution Lead at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    This solution has proven technology with significant advantages in some key areas, and greater depth and experience in providing industry knowledge and solutions.

• "Teradata solutions help organizations reduce IT, operations, and maintenance costs; enhance on-time delivery of products and services."
    • "There is some improvement required on OLTP level and some analytical function is missing."

What other advice do I have?

Teradata provides the analytical performance we need through its “parallel everything” design and industry leading optimizer to intelligently process all types of analytical and business intelligence queries.
    Business Analyst / Data Engineer
    A Very Stable Product With A 99.9% Up Time

• "It is a solid database a lot of different tools to move data."

What other advice do I have?

Get educated about the product.
      Teradata Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      QueryGrid has multiple new features i.e data migration, extraction, tool loading, other utilities.​

What other advice do I have?

It architects the databases well. Right from data modelling, the correction appliance to be chosen, the queries hitting the system, strategic, tactical etc, and that business knowledge should be easy to understand to end developers.
      Professional Services Senior Consultant at a tech services company
      For large EDWH solutions, Teradata is the best.

• "I found all parts --loading, transformation, processing & querying work in parallel, and end-to-end-- to be valuable."
      • "The cloud is the new challenge and the new opportunity."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend starting with a clean and normalized business model that is capable of addressing business questions. Teratada (and its consultants) will do the rest.
      SM
      Teradata DBA|Data Engineer Specialist|Hadoop Admin at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      The product is more helpful in historical analysis and customer behavior trends.

What is most valuable?

Good data warehousing solution. Workload Management (TASM) and Viewpoint.

How has it helped my organization?

As it is a data warehousing solution, many reporting sessions and users can run simultaneously without much performance degradation. The product is more helpful in historical analysis and customer behavior trends for the organisation.

What needs improvement?

Query Log maintenance should be free in all versions and should be made easy.

Seven years.

Regarding stability, Teradata comes bundled with hardware and software. There are fewer bugs in the software and most of the hardware failure mechanisms are addressed at the hardware level, so users…
      AK
      Teradata Team Leader at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      With the current machine we are able to eliminate the use of OLAP cubes and allow customer queries to run directly on the Teradata machine.

• "The two types of partitioning have been very significant for us - row and columnar partitioning."
      • "Data synchronization to the DR site."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have a good Teradata DBA to help implement the solution. A great Oracle DBA is not sufficient, because it takes a while to internalize that they are two different things. Make sure that you have a good backup/recovery/DR plan, and that it is covered by the infrastructure you are purchasing. Otherwise, you might find yourself with a system that performs great, but has no good DR solution.
      Teradata Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      This solution stands on top for changing business needs and beats other competitors in benchmarking.

What is most valuable?

The optimizer is the most valuable feature for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We are into DWBI (Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence) and Teradata is number one in the market for these solutions. They stood on top even for changing business needs and beat other competitors in benchmarking.

What needs improvement?

The Query Response time needs improving.

We have been using the solution for 12 years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the technical support at…
      Enterprise Programmes Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
      It is the core of our fundamental real-time reporting and operational planning.

• "It effectively has allowed us to remove over 20 portion copies of the data sets on other DB platforms for real-time operational reporting purposes."
      • "The increasing volumes of data demand more and more performance."

What other advice do I have?

This comes back to understanding the what, why, and how of the solution. Once you understand that, then plan it accordingly and ensure you have sufficient time to address any of the surprises that could occur. Each tool fills a niche and is used accordingly. I doubt if there is anything perfect out there, as each tool has its own considerations when being deployed. Our greatest concern with Teradata is the performance impact of the OUTER RIGHT JOINS across a petabyte environment.
      Senior IT Business Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees

• "Viewpoint, the detailed query logs and performance statistics are valuable features."
      • "The SQL Assistant is very basic. This tool can be improved for usability."

What other advice do I have?

Have a long-term vision, the ROI will not come in the short-term. A cost-benefit analysis (CBA) needs to be done by the customers so as to make sure it serves the intended purpose.
      Project Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      We now have faster query response times.

What is most valuable?

Throttle Columnar

How has it helped my organization?

Faster query response time.

What needs improvement?

Concurrency is still a challenge, pricing is still high.

Three years.

None.

Customer Service: 6/10 Technical Support: 6/10

Oracle. We switched because of TD distributed architecture and it is the best product for EDW.

Done by Teradata PS.

Teradata…
      Lead Teradata DBA at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      It's complex in terms of physical data modeling, but it can process large amounts of data quickly.

What is most valuable?

The ability to process large amounts of data very quickly Its adaptability

How has it helped my organization?

Our business processes are much more efficient with Teradata's speed.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see better processing on a transactional level and star schema optimization.

I've been using it for 13 years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's excellent, 10/10. Technical Support: It's excellent, 10/10.

No other previous solution for these…
      EDW Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Query tuning is simple, but this is a costly solution.

Valuable Features:

It is simple for me as a developer Query tuning is simple.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's simple to use and scalable.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for eight years.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Implementation Team:

We used a vendor team who were 7/10.

ROI:

The speed has been increased.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at Hadoop.

Other Advice:

It's simple but costly. However, this doesn't concern me as I have to develop applications. My employer can give me any product and I will learn and develop with it.  Almost all database products are 80%…
      Head of Information management with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Working with Teradata, Cognos and Informatica is a positive combination of good tools but implementation can be complex
      I have been using Teradata and Cognos for the past 8 years and Informatica ETL tool for 1 year. I have found that the analytical CRM functionalities from Teradata using Teradata database has been the most valuable feature of this product. It has helped the way my organization functions in that we build a data warehouse to have a single version of the truth with all the needed aggregations, and all the analytical reports are now using this database which leads to consistent data. Additionally, all the analytical reports are now generated using Cognos BI tool which is very powerful and the business powerful users can build their own analytical reports. My company had previously used a different solution before Informatica and we are still in the transition phase, ETL from data…
      Download our free Relational Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Teradata, Microsoft, Oracle, and more!