TestRail by Gurock Overview

TestRail by Gurock is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Quality Management Tools. It is most often compared to TFS: TestRail by Gurock vs TFS

What is TestRail by Gurock?

TestRail helps you manage and track your software testing efforts and organize your QA department. Its intuitive web-based user interface makes it easy to create test cases, manage test runs and coordinate your entire testing process.

Easily track and follow the status of individual tests, milestones and projects with dashboards and activity reports. Get real-time insights into your testing progress and boost productivity with personalized todo lists, filters and email notifications. Efficient test management, get started today!

TestRail by Gurock Buyer's Guide

Download the TestRail by Gurock Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

TestRail by Gurock Customers

Apple, Microsoft, Boeing, Intel, NASA, Amazon, HP, Samsung

TestRail by Gurock Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TestRail by Gurock pricing:
  • "Its price is definitely not more. If they introduce automation, they can charge more."

TestRail by Gurock Reviews

HashemAlhariri
IT Testing Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Sep 22, 2019
Easy to write new test cases and test plans and it is flexible

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premises deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case is for test management.

• "The most valuable features are the flexibility, ease of use for writing new test cases, the test plans, and the composition."
  • "It's not easy to create a custom report. It's not straightforward. A good improvement would be if there was a way to report and create a custom report without using a plugin or scripting language."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to consider is that TestRail does not have a defect management policy. They would have to use another tool for defect management. In our case, we use JIRA, which is at an additional cost, but it's not that much. The defect management is supposed to be in a different domain because it does not fall under test management. Test case management is totally different than defect management. I believe Gurock did a great job just by separating the test management from the defect management. Good advice would be to start with a cloud for some time. I…
Stuart Barker
Test Manager at Zest Consulting
Aug 19, 2019
Reporting in the dashboard is good but it needs customizable dashboards and analytics

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I use this solution directly and manage it. We use the on-prem model.

• "The most valuable features are the reporting in the dashboard and the general way in which we can create test runs is helpful."
  • "It would be useful if it had its own issue management system. At the moment, it's purely a test management tool and you have to link to a defect management tool, like JIRA. It would be useful if there was an option to use its own defect management tool so that it's integrated and not two separate tools."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would use it again if given the choice. It's a straightforward tool, it's not overly sophisticated. There's not much that can go wrong with it. One small issue is the integration with JIRA. I've never gotten that to work properly for the issue management. If you're going to implement it, you're going to have to do it with an issue management tool, something like JIRA. I haven't managed to get that working in its entirety. I would rate it a seven out of ten. It is missing certain features. The integration into JIRA is not that effective and it doesn't have its…
Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, SmartBear, Hiptest and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: January 2021.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1154316
Quality Assurance Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Nov 14, 2020
Good management from the testing perspective, but needs a lot of improvements from the quality assurance perspective

What is our primary use case?

We use it for test case repository and test management. My primary role is quality assurance. I've got one developer who looks at the SQL, upgrades, and a few other things. I do the customization, integration, and normal administration for granting access. I also provide user support and help users with training, guidance, demos, etc. I handle 80% work, and the developer handles the remaining 20% of work on this solution.

• "From a testing perspective, the management is awesome. I am able to do testing and then add the reporting and the evidence. It is fair in terms of the price that you're paying. You get what you're paying for."
  • "I do see room for lots of improvement in it. In terms of usability, duplication with test cases and constant creation of projects isn't easy. There is also too much API integration into automation tools, which is not there in ALM with UFT. Instead of setting it up as a project and using it, we set it up as a system for usability. It also lacks in the traceability aspect. For traceability, you need to use the JIRA plugin and drag traceability on JIRA, but the functionality is still quite limited. The biggest gap is mainframe testing. It would be good if I could start with mainframe testing. Manual granting of access is another issue. There is no API that I could use with another system where it is automated. There is an API for loading somebody to a project but not for adding to the application."

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution. My primary role is quality assurance. From a quality assurance perspective, there are too many limitations. There is too much integration or too many APIs that need to be written constantly. It doesn't actually give you traceability from the requirements or systems perspective. If I wanted to run automation for coverage of a system, TestRail doesn't give me that. I would rate TestRail a five out of ten.
Ioana Haralamb
Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 16, 2019
A good testing solution that integrates well with JIRA and offers great reporting features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for testing. The testing team is writing the test cases and the test switch. They were running the test for every release or every sprint because we are working on JIRA. I use the reports for the run.

• "The solution is very stable. We've never had any issues with it."
  • "I've encountered at some point, some difficulties on the administration side, but I don't remember exactly what they were."

What other advice do I have?

We were using the cloud deployment model. I'd recommend the product. I'd rate it between eight and nine out of ten.