TestRail by Gurock OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TestRail by Gurock is the #13 ranked solution in our list of top Quality Management Tools. It is most often compared to Zephyr Enterprise: TestRail by Gurock vs Zephyr Enterprise

What is TestRail by Gurock?

TestRail helps you manage and track your software testing efforts and organize your QA department. Its intuitive web-based user interface makes it easy to create test cases, manage test runs and coordinate your entire testing process.

Easily track and follow the status of individual tests, milestones and projects with dashboards and activity reports. Get real-time insights into your testing progress and boost productivity with personalized todo lists, filters and email notifications. Efficient test management, get started today!

Download the Test Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

TestRail by Gurock Customers

Apple, Microsoft, Boeing, Intel, NASA, Amazon, HP, Samsung

TestRail by Gurock Video

Archived TestRail by Gurock Reviews (more than two years old)

HashemAlhariri
IT Testing Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to write new test cases and test plans and it is flexible

• "The most valuable features are the flexibility, ease of use for writing new test cases, the test plans, and the composition."
  • "It's not easy to create a custom report. It's not straightforward. A good improvement would be if there was a way to report and create a custom report without using a plugin or scripting language."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premises deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case is for test management.

How has it helped my organization?

It was very easy to create a quick test plan, despite the challenges we face, like a lack of documentation and the lesser knowledge we have for testing. We were testing a new upgrade for an app and by just exploring and running things through our mobile app we found that many features that were existing already in the production environment in the production app were not documented properly. All we had to do was create an exploratory session with the feature that we have to test and then we created a test plan with a different composition like Android and the languages that were working.

It took me less than an hour to figure out the test plan and the test execution was more managed in the sense that we did have a test case at this instance to be executed. The stated test results are not easily monitored when it's reported. Before we used to have a more complex system and we used to manage the test cases in Excel format, so we saved a lot of time with this.

In the next release, I would like to see dynamic reporting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the flexibility, ease of use for writing new test cases, the test plans, and the composition.

What needs improvement?

It's not easy to create a custom report. It's not straightforward. A good improvement would be if there was a way to report and create a custom report without using a plugin or scripting language.

I have been using TestRail for around three months.

It's very stable.

We use it on a medium scale. We have 100 users licensed but have around less than 50 active users. I haven't seen any performance issues. I haven't seen any issues with scalability. It's very stable and nice.

I handle the maintenance. I have handled it now for the past three months and nothing happened. I haven't had any need for maintenance yet. One team member can handle the whole thing.

In terms of our plans to increase our usage, in another six months, we were planning to ramp up the team, but I don't think it will have an effect on this solution.

We previously used HP Quality Center for the last eight years. We switched to TestRail because it is more flexible and cost-effective. The price is very competitive, and even though HP is the ultimate solution, for a starter company or like in our case, the cost was a major factor.

The initial setup was kind of complex, but I have previous experience that helped. It was not really straightforward. I heard that with the new version, it's in a package and it's not so complex anymore.

The deployment took around two days. I did the deployment alone and wasn't doing it full time. I did the PoC first and then purchased the license.

We purchased a license for two years. The license is on an annual basis. We got a nice discount for the second year, around 10%, which is nice. It's priced annually and per user. It's a fee-based license. One thing that Gurock does not offer is a perpetual license. There is no option to buy the tool without having to make a recurring cost. It is fine for us. The annual license is not an issue.

We also looked at TestLink in open source, and we looked at ALM. The functionality and the usage, and usability of TestRail is much better than any other product. It's not dependent on any ActiveX or any library. The client can use it out of the box, they just need to type in the URL and start using it. Also, the training videos are very nice. It covers everything, that would be all you have to do is just watch the videos for a few minutes and you can really just learn very quickly and easily. Other tools, like ALM, had issues with the training.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to consider is that TestRail does not have a defect management policy. They would have to use another tool for defect management. In our case, we use JIRA, which is at an additional cost, but it's not that much. The defect management is supposed to be in a different domain because it does not fall under test management. Test case management is totally different than defect management. I believe Gurock did a great job just by separating the test management from the defect management.

Good advice would be to start with a cloud for some time. I would rate TestRail a nine out of ten.

Ioana Haralamb
Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A good testing solution that integrates well with JIRA and offers great reporting features

• "The solution is very stable. We've never had any issues with it."
  • "I've encountered at some point, some difficulties on the administration side, but I don't remember exactly what they were."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for testing. The testing team is writing the test cases and the test switch. They were running the test for every release or every sprint because we are working on JIRA. I use the reports for the run.

What is most valuable?

The reporting is the most valuable feature. I can easily manipulate the reports into the pie charts and statistics and so on. This is very useful. Also, the ability of the solution to easily link with JIRA is helpful. It's able to integrate with JIRA in depth.

The configuration of the software makes it very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There are some features that I'm looking for, but I don't know if they already exist within the solution or not because I haven't had time to look further into it.

For example, if I'm interested in integration with some other automation framework, they don't have something like this, it would be ideal if they could add it.

Basically, I'm looking for more integration - especially with JIRA - and more automation.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is very stable. We've never had any issues with it.

We've never needed any technical support, so I can't evaluate it.

I didn't do the implementation myself. It was already done when I arrived at the company. I just manage the users. I switch users and accounts when someone leaves the project or joins. Being a cloud version, however, I imagine it's fairly easy to configure.

After looking at other products, I'd say TestRail is pretty expensive. It's one of the reasons we're moving away from the solution.

I played a bit with DeskLink, but I've never really evaluated it.

What other advice do I have?

We were using the cloud deployment model.

I'd recommend the product. I'd rate it between eight and nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, SmartBear, Hiptest and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Stuart Barker
Test Manager at Zest Consulting
Reporting in the dashboard is good but it needs customizable dashboards and analytics

• "The most valuable features are the reporting in the dashboard and the general way in which we can create test runs is helpful."
  • "It would be useful if it had its own issue management system. At the moment, it's purely a test management tool and you have to link to a defect management tool, like JIRA. It would be useful if there was an option to use its own defect management tool so that it's integrated and not two separate tools."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I use this solution directly and manage it. We use the on-prem model.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The reporting is quite good but there is room for improvement. For example, when you define different test statuses it produces a dashboard and it creates a pie chart and it tells you what percentage is related to each test status, whether it has passed, failed, work in progress, etc. That needs to be user-definable. We should be able to customize how the reporting dashboard displays information.

For example, if I've created a new test and I want to be able to classify that data, most people aren't interested in the granular level of what the test did. They just want to know if it's a pass or fail. This could be improved. We'd like to see more customizable dashboards and analytics.

It needs the ability to delete test results. It offers a granular level of detail but it's a pain. It needs the ability to set the results back to untested. It's a bit bizarre that it doesn't let you do that.

Requirements and traceability would also be good additional features to be incorporated into this solution.

I have been using TestRail for around 18 months now.

I've never had stability issues.

In terms of scalability, I don't know how well it scales because I have no view of the concurrent users. We have around 450 users on it running various different projects. Nobody has ever complained about performance issues or anything like that.

We can't easily see how many users are using it though. This is an area of improvement. We can see how many people have an account but we can't see how many are logged in and active.

The users are mainly project managers, test managers, testers, and business SMEs.

I have never needed to contact customer support. I have posted questions on the community page. The community support is good.

I don't have any experience setting it up on-prem. I've done it on the cloud which was very easy. It only took five or so minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would use it again if given the choice. It's a straightforward tool, it's not overly sophisticated. There's not much that can go wrong with it.

One small issue is the integration with JIRA. I've never gotten that to work properly for the issue management. If you're going to implement it, you're going to have to do it with an issue management tool, something like JIRA. I haven't managed to get that working in its entirety.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. It is missing certain features. The integration into JIRA is not that effective and it doesn't have its own defect management tool.

it_user755145
Research Assistant at UNC Charlotte at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
A lot of cases can be organised with workflows and become scenario-based

What is most valuable?

Suite management Integration with Confluence and JIRA Making runs and workflows

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of cases can be organised with workflows and become scenario-based.

What needs improvement?

Case writing UI Better prediction of text

More than one year.

None which I can remember.

What is most valuable?

• Suite management
  • Integration with Confluence and JIRA
  • Making runs and workflows

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of cases can be organised with workflows and become scenario-based.

What needs improvement?

• Case writing UI
  • Better prediction of text

More than one year.

None which I can remember.

it_user739701
QA Coordinator at a tech vendor
Integrates easily to automation systems and most common bug tracking systems, but provides templates which are not well adapted and introduces new ones that are rather complex

• "The API to support integration of the homemade automated testing tool."
  • "The TestRail API to integrate reporting of automated tests is complete, but requires many requests to identify the appropriate entry."

What is most valuable?

The database structure and exploration tool. The API to support integration of the homemade automated testing tool.

How has it helped my organization?

This product completes our production line based on continuous integration (using Jenkins) by acquiring all tests results, manual and fully automated into a single platform, which is connected with our bug reporting system (Trac). It offers a full view of test campaigns for each product/version we develop.

What needs improvement?

The main room for improvement is in the reporting: It provides templates which are not well adapted and introduces new ones that are rather complex.

Four months.

No issues so far.

With a few users only, but already thousands of items in the DB, we have no issues so far.

Quite good and fast for my interactions with them.

I did not manage it myself, but it seemed straightforward (using the officially supported Linux version).

Pricing for small teams seems correct with respect to competitors.

JIRA/Enterprise Tester: Felt less user-friendly and more complex to start with. Also, it was less adapted for coupling with a homemade automation testing tool.

What other advice do I have?

TestRail is a very user-friendly product to manage test cases. It integrates easily to automation systems and most common bug tracking systems.

It is not the Holy Grail, but has many interesting, useful features.

Software88a6
Software Engineer in Research & Development
Enables our global team to more easily create, manage, and monitor test execution

• "Reliable and stable. It is important that TestRail be up and running 24/7 as we have users around the world using it."
  • "There are a number of improvements that have been requested. While I don't have a list of these requests available, many can be found on Gurock's forum."

What is most valuable?

1. Ability to import test scenarios (CSV).
  2. Redmine integration and ability to link Redmine issues to test cases.
  3. Network deployment. Need accessibility world wide.
  4. Report generation capability.
  5. LDAP authentication.
  6. Ability to control and restrict user IDs.
  7. File attached upload capability.
  8. Ability to note when the Blocking issue has been placed in Verify state (or Closed) and flag the Execution records for re-test.
  9. Ability to note when the failing issue has been closed and move the execution record to some re-test phase.
  10. Reliable and stable. It is important that TestRail be up and running 24/7 as we have users around the world using it.
  11. Easy to upgrade and maintain.
  12. Customer support.

How has it helped my organization?

TestRail has made it possible for our large team around the globe to more easily create, manage, and monitor test execution. It has also provided valuable report information used for project management.

Four years.

Very good.

Previously we used a customized spreadsheet tool.

Setup was pretty straightforward. Creating our own customized reports was more complex. It required writing PHP code and they are time consuming to maintain.

Negotiate the best deal you can.

TestLodge, Klaros-TestManagement, PractiTest, Test Collab.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend researching all available products and evaluate the top three that meet your needs. There may be better products out there today. Carefully choose the tool that best meets your requirements. It is a huge investment in time and effort and very difficult to change tools once a decision has been made.

Software QA Tester / Team Lead at Brightest NV
Ease of use means that many more test cases are now written

• "You don't need to follow complex procedures to create a test run, test case, etc."
  • "It would be nice if they would add an export to Word."

What is most valuable?

The feature that is of most value is the ease of use. You don't need to follow complex procedures to create a test run, test case, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we used TestRail there were no, or only a very small number of, test cases written. Now, because it is easy to use, there are many more test cases written.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they would add an export to Word.

We have been using this product for about one year.

We never had any issues with stability.

We never had any issues with scalability.

I’m rating technical support a nine out of 10.

We used TestLink. The reason we changed was that it was rather complex to use and there was no way to indicate at what step the case failed.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I can’t answer this question because I’m not the one handling the financials.

I can’t answer this question because the choice was made before I came to this firm.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give is just do it.

it_user738792
Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Gives the tester the ability to compare calculated times to actual times it takes for a test case to run

• "The ability to time test runs gives the tester the ability to compare calculated times to actual times it takes for a test case to run."
  • "It would be nice to have a description section when creating the test scenario itself so I can indicate what the configuration should be."

What is most valuable?

The ability to time test runs gives the tester the ability to compare calculated times to actual times it takes for a test case to run. This is the advantage over the other test management tool that we have used. Also, I liked the fact that TestRail's test cases could be linked to JIRA tickets.

How has it helped my organization?

Most significantly, I found it was easy to organize test cases, and that the application did not time out while I was in the middle of writing a test case.

What needs improvement?

I found it difficult to link requirements to test cases, if I remember correctly. Also, it would be nice to have a description section when creating the test scenario itself so I can indicate what the configuration should be. I was able to do this with the old tool, and I also could link requirements to test scenarios and test cases in the old tool.

I have probably used it for three months.

I was not the point person.

Well, I really didn't want to switch, but the rest of the team did not want to go through the exercise of learning how to configure the application for our needs.

Also, the old application was unreliable. For example, I would be in the middle of writing a test case, and before I had a chance to save the test case, I would find myself back on the previous page where test scenarios are stored. When I went back into the test scenario to continue working on the test case, all the information that I had previously entered would be lost. Thus, I would have to start all over again.

I wasn't involved in the setup. I QA'd the app, and indicated to the administrator what I desired.

I hear that the cost is a bit pricey. My advice to others is to shop around for the best deal. Some options out there are free in cyberspace.

What other advice do I have?

Use the product to its fullest during the trial period, and if you need an extension on your trial time, most honest companies will oblige you with an extension.

Uros Gavric
QA Automation Engineer at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
Awesome for automated testing and integrations with most used testing frameworks

• "Most valuable features are the ease of organizing test cases and a great API for sending results from automated test run results into the database."
  • "Reporting could be more flexible regarding repeating reports."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We don't have to take care of test case results in time. They are automatically added into TestRail (TR) on a per case basis, so you have the test results history.

What needs improvement?

Only a few small ones. Reporting could be more flexible regarding repeating reports. You have to basically repeat the same report run, but then you have two reports. An old one and a new one. A 'refresh' option for reports would be very useful. This way you would have a report but just need to refresh its data when needed. Also, more flexibility in adding custom fields and their placing around the test case form would be beneficial. For example, sometimes I can't place a custom text (paragraph) field in the exact spot that I was planning. Again, nothing critical, just a few small improvements.

For about nine months now.

No issues with stability in the last nine months that I've been working with TR.

No issues with scalability so far.

I haven't used their tech support directly because all I needed was info that I was able to find in their knowledge database.

I used Zephyr, but didn't make the switch. My new company was already using TR when I joined it.

Not applicable. It was already set up when I joined.

Use TestRail Cloud (online TR hosted server) and don't worry about maintenance or scalability. It saves a lot of cash and time.

Yeah, Zephyr, Redmine, etc.

What other advice do I have?

It is great for manual testing. However, it is awesome for automated testing and integrations with most used testing frameworks.