TFS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TFS is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Quality Management Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: TFS vs Microsoft Azure DevOps

What is TFS?
Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (TFS) is the collaboration platform at the core of Microsoft's application lifecycle management (ALM) solution. TFS supports agile development practices, multiple IDEs and platforms locally or in the cloud and gives you the tools you need to effectively manage software development projects throughout the IT lifecycle.

TFS is also known as Team Foundation Server.

TFS Buyer's Guide

Download the TFS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

TFS Customers
Vendex KBB IT Services, Info Support, Fujitsu Consulting, TCSC, Airways New Zealand, HP
TFS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TFS pricing:
  • "I wouldn't say that this tool is cheap or expensive but in the middle."
  • "The price of the solution is cheaper than other competitors and it is a per-user license."
  • "TFS is more competitively priced than some other solutions."

TFS Reviews

KK
Asst. Vice president, Applications Architecture at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good project management features improve discipline and productivity in our application development lifecycle

• "The most valuable feature from my point of view is project management, which includes user stories as well as task management."
  • "The user interface could be improved to make it simpler and increase usability."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for TFS is for event planning, including things like writing the user story and then assigning tasks to the developers. Another task is writing test cases, then recording test results, and sending bugs to the team members. The third thing is that we use TFS as part of our CICD pipeline.

As part of our pipeline, we use it for checking in code and it acts as a repository. This leads to the fourth thing we use it for, which is to move the code from dev to QA to production. Essentially, we establish a complete lifecycle using TFS.

We also use it in conjunction with Azure DevOps.

How has it helped my organization?

This product brings a lot of discipline and consistency in the way that our developers use their tools.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature from my point of view is project management, which includes user stories as well as task management. I would say that these features are critical.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration between TFS and third-party tools such as Jira. For example, integration with SharePoint is not very straightforward and we need to do a lot of manual work.

The user interface could be improved to make it simpler and increase usability. Making it more user-friendly would be a good thing. While it is okay in some regards, it does not compare to tools like Jira. There is some complexity because there are a lot of features, but usability can still be much better and it would be more comfortable to use.

We have been using Team Foundation Server for almost five years.

This product is stable and we have not experienced any issues with it.

The developers are completely dependent on TFS and are using it on a daily basis.

TFS is quite scalable and there are different deployment options that are available. I don't see any problems with scalability. We have between 40 and 45 people in my department who are using TFS.

The support that we received during the initial setup was the only time that we needed to contact them. Beyond that, we didn't have to ask for technical support. I wouldn't refer to our initial support as very technical because it was more about knowing how to perform certain tasks within the tool.

Prior to using TFS, we used CVS as our code repository solution. All of our requirements and bug tracking were done using manual effort. We were using Word documents and things like that. However, all of that has now been put into TFS.

What led us to switch was the ability to track all of the developers' activities. Before this, getting visibility and deliverables was a real pain point. For example, we didn't know how many stories the developers had completed, how much effort has been spent, or where we were with respect to the tasks that were completed by the teams.

I would say that the initial setup is of medium difficulty. You definitely need help from an expert, as it is not like I can just pick it up and start running it. TFS requires a little bit of expert support in setting up, and we received solid support from Microsoft.

Our deployment took place over the course of a week. It was not a week's worth of effort but we had to schedule calls for support. I would say that TFS can be set up and tested in a single day, although it may take up to a week to finalize things.

During our implementation, we requested help directly from Microsoft.

Our in-house DevOps team is responsible for maintenance.

I wouldn't say that this tool is cheap or expensive but in the middle. TFS is definitely not as expensive as some other tools like Rational Team Concert. Basically, I would say that it is affordable.

Professional Services is a separate cost from the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering TFS is that the suitability depends on what technology you are trying to use. For example, if you're using Microsoft technology then it is better to use TFS. If on the other hand, you are developing something outside of Microsoft, perhaps using an open-source tool, then I wouldn't be able to recommend TFS. Instead, I would choose one of the other many third-party tools that are available.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AnujKataria
Project Manager at Duck Creek Technologies
One-stop solution that is useful, and makes things easier to manage, but the burndown charts are problematic

• "Basically, the capacity to construct various products is something I find handy."
  • "I'm looking for specific options that aren't currently available, such as active status, new status, or what's currently in progress."

What is our primary use case?

We use TFS for project management.

What is most valuable?

Basically, the capacity to construct various products is something I find handy. For example, I could write a user story and then add some tasks to it, as well as subtasks and test cases.

Everything can be linked together, making it easy for us to track down and document hours for each and every task, whether it's a task, above, or anything else.

Everything is interconnected. As a result, tracking and viewing the bulletin board dashboard and burndown charts, among other things, is much easier.

It's a one-stop solution that is useful and makes it easier to handle.

What needs improvement?

The overall ability in the Agile process has some room to improve, even though it is interconnected. When I worked on Jira, it had the capability of better linkage.

When it comes to project management, we are having trouble with burndown charts, which we can't seem to display. As a result, we have created new tasks and realigning our process. Rather than creating larger tasks, we are creating subtasks such as development tasks, QA tasks, and deployment tasks.

An area of improvement is when there is a login for a specific user story present, it should display automatically. This is an area that where we are having difficulty and struggling in.

The scalability can be improved.

Linkage and task management are two areas that we are having difficulties with. It could be more like Jira, which has a number of different plugins. In addition, I feel that the status should include additional options. For example, they offer fewer options for a specific task user story or bugs.

I'm looking for specific options that aren't currently available, such as active status, new status, or what's currently in progress. I would like to see an in-progress capability where you can mark it active, but you can also write that it is in progress. When I look at the dashboard, there is nothing there to show me what has been done or why it is active or not.

My company has been using TFS since it started. It may be more than 10 years. I joined the company a year ago.

We have been using it through the cloud during COVID and working from home. We can connect to it from any network.

There have been some lags in the past, and we have also encountered some latency when setting it up on the laptop. You may have some problems at first, but as soon as you connect to the internet and update your product, everything becomes stable.

Within our organization, for example, we use Microsoft Teams for communication, chats, and for calls. We had some issues with it being unreliable and not fully airing the sound over the laptop speakers and mic. I discovered that as soon as we updated the product, the stability was restored. There was a problem with Teams, which they fixed and updated.

Initial difficulties are to be expected, but things are constantly improving.

It can be scaled to some extent. The main issue is that, unlike Jira or any other tool, the burndown chart is not displayed.

I have never used technical support because I've never been in a situation where it has gone down and I needed to contact them, but I believe that because Microsoft is a reputable organization with adequate technical support right now.

I have also worked with Jira.

I come from a QA background, and we used to do automation. Jira was far easier to integrate with our QA automation frameworks because it has a large number of exposed APIs and public APIs that we could use, which is a positive development. Also, the burndown charts, as well as the ability to manage different Agile model frameworks, where we could use scrum in one project but also had to use Kanban. As a result, the transition from one framework to another was simple. These are the things I found useful but haven't seen in the case of TFS yet.

Initially, TFS was a bit complicated. Now that it's Azure DevOps the initial setup is much easier.

It's a one-stop shop for building code repository, and a version control system within TFS or Azure DevOps, as TFS has been renamed.

What other advice do I have?

I am a project manager.

I would rate TFS a seven out of ten

Learn what your peers think about TFS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PK
Product Owner at PerkinElmer, Inc.
Reliable, good performance, good reporting tools, and useful for managing all of your development tasks

• "The work item feature is most valuable. It allows us to store all product requirements. We can also link the test cases to those requirements so that we know which feature has already been tested, and which one is waiting for testing. We can also couple the code reviews, unit tests, and automated tests into these requirements. It is reliable. It has all the features and good performance. It also has reporting tools or analysis tools."
  • "Currently, we are looking for a solution with which we can incorporate third-party development sites or third-party project teams into the system. Because it is on-premise, it is a bit problematic because we need to have a VPN or something else in the system. A cloud-based solution would be better for us, and that's what we are looking for. Our biggest problem is the external connection, which, of course, is limited by our own IT. It would be good to have some kind of publishing service for this external connection. It might be there, and it might be that our IT is making it impossible for us. Its template editor could be easier to use. Currently, customizing the project templates according to your needs requires some work."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly for the work item handling, which is the documentation for the development projects. We also use it for requirement handling and then following a project's progress with tasks or issues.

How has it helped my organization?

It doesn't improve the way our organization functions, but it supports the way we work. Instead of having separate Excel or other work item lists, we can just utilize the work items provided by TFS for record-keeping and monitoring the progress.

What is most valuable?

The work item feature is most valuable. It allows us to store all product requirements. We can also link the test cases to those requirements so that we know which feature has already been tested, and which one is waiting for testing. We can also couple the code reviews, unit tests, and automated tests into these requirements.

It is reliable. It has all the features and good performance. It also has reporting tools or analysis tools.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we are looking for a solution with which we can incorporate third-party development sites or third-party project teams into the system. Because it is on-premise, it is a bit problematic because we need to have a VPN or something else in the system. A cloud-based solution would be better for us, and that's what we are looking for. Our biggest problem is the external connection, which, of course, is limited by our own IT. It would be good to have some kind of publishing service for this external connection. It might be there, and it might be that our IT is making it impossible for us.

Its template editor could be easier to use. Currently, customizing the project templates according to your needs requires some work.

I have been using this solution for 15 years. I have been using its latest version for a couple of years.

It is reliable.

I haven't actually used their support very much. I'm not really the one who is maintaining the system.

You can find a lot of information by searching the web. There is also a community around it, and a lot of answers are available. Microsoft has its own support if needed.

I haven't been so much involved in building up the TFS server, but I think it is rather simple. The installation is simple. There are so-called project templates that you might need to adjust according to your needs. These require some work. If you can use the default templates, then no work is needed. We have managed to adjust everything for what we needed. There were no problems that we couldn't overcome. Its template editor could be easier to use.

It was done in-house. It is pretty easy to come up with an installer. There is nothing difficult there.

What other advice do I have?

The Team Foundation Server is now called Azure DevOps. We are using an old product. I would advise others to consider whether they need an on-premises or a cloud solution. The on-premises solution requires external developers. They can also look at the cloud option and see which product offering is better for their needs.

It is a nice system to have. You get a managed system where you can manage your development tasks easily, and you don't need to keep your own bookkeeping for tasks and backup items. They are already there in TFS. You can just use the system monthly and produce reports out of the system. For me, it was nice to see that such a tool exists.

I would rate TFS a nine out of ten. I'm pretty happy with it.

KH
Program Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Quality version control, good backlog management, and scalable

• "Some of the valuable features are version control and the ability to create different collections in terms of segregating the authorization for teams who connect to small projects."
  • "This solution is quite old and it is already being bundled as Azure DevOps Server."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mainly for store version control, backlog and product management.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features are version control and the ability to create different collections in terms of segregating the authorization for teams who connect to small projects. The hierarchy they have is nice. The backlog management tool is good, you can manage your product backlog very easily and then assign your comments against it.

What needs improvement?

This solution is quite old and it is already being bundled as Azure DevOps Server.

In an upcoming release, more integration is needed.

I have been using the solution for more than five years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable. There are approximately ten people using the solution in my organization.

I have used Jira In the past and if you compare Jira with Microsoft, Jira integrates from portfolio to project, to product, to version control management. Everything is linked in Jira. If you have a company portfolio of several programs that someone can see. If your responsibility is at a program level, you can see all the projects under it. You can even go to product backlogs for each program and got the code version control to see the programs being developed.

In terms of Microsoft, they have an organization structure. You can create multiple organizations, but Azure DevOps is only for product management. If you have your project risks and plan, that is outside Azure DevOps. You have to go to a separate tool in Microsoft, which is Microsoft Project. If you want to go to content management, if you stay in Jira you have another tool, which is also integrated into the overall platform, and that is called Confluence Content Management. If you use Microsoft, then either you need to do it on SharePoint or you will be using Teams.

The installation was easy.

We had a team doing the implementation, it was their first time and they did not have any problems. It took less than a week to do the full implementation. The amount of implementation personnel depends on the scope of the operation, but if you just want to get it up and running, then one person is enough.

I was using TFS in my previous company, which I recently left. Where I am currently employed, I looking to get Azure DevOps, and there will be approximately 20 to 40 users. It is a bigger project, it has more developers involved. This is where we are right now comparing what to go with DevOps or with Jira, or you can say Microsoft or Jira.

We did evaluate other solutions before this one. Since our use case for TFS was mainly version control. We looked at GitHub and Bitbucket, but I think the licensing model for TFS was cheaper than both of them.

What other advice do I have?

If someone is looking for version control software and product management software today, then I would recommend them to go for Azure DevOps. If they do not have any restrictions in terms of keeping their data on-cloud, then they should go with Azure DevOps Cloud Service, because then you will not have to worry about installing anything on the server. If you want to have an on-premise solution, then you can use the Azure DevOps Server version.

I rate TFS an eight out of ten.

JS
Business Analyst, Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nice dashboard, good task-selection capability, and the option to save pages as favorites is helpful

• "The most valuable features are the dashboard and task-selection capability."
  • "The interface can be improved and made more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Team Foundation Server as part of our development framework. Most of our development technology is from Microsoft and our primary language is C#, although we do have a number of Java programmers as well.

We primarily use TFS for managing our resources and scheduling. We can also use it to check to see whether tasks have been completed by the team, or not.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the dashboard and task-selection capability.

The option to save favorites is helpful for managing pages.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see TFS integrated with a project management solution, such as Microsoft EPM. Right now, it is isolated from EPM but if we could somehow connect it, then that would help a lot. As it is now, the results are not easy to report to project managers, which makes it difficult to estimate both cost and the time to completion.

The interface can be improved and made more user-friendly.

We have been using TFS for about five years.

This solution is stable and we have not had any crashes to this point. We use it on a daily basis. All of our new projects start on TFS.

This is a scalable solution. Our company has 1,300 employees, although there are only between 50 and 100 who use TFS.

Because we are in Iran and there are sanctions, we do not have a Microsoft agent and we have never been in contact with them. We instead rely on various forums and searching for solutions using Google. Using Google is the fastest way to get results.

We did not use a similar solution prior to implementing TFS. However, we did use Microsoft Project for scheduling. It was not specifically for the purpose of software development, but we used it for putting together the steps of a project. For example, first, the UI would be developed, and then the backend. These steps were listed in the project management software.

I did not personally perform the installation, although my colleagues had no problem and I got the impression that it was easy.

Our in-house technical people installed and deployed this solution. There were two of them involved in the process where one took care of the servers, VMs, and infrastructure, whereas the second person installed the solution and gave us the link to use it.

We have lots of servers and virtual machines, with two people in charge of maintaining our infrastructure. One person is generally in charge of installing and maintaining software as was with TFS, and this person is also responsible for the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

There is a gap between project management, agile methodology, and TFS resource management. If they can fill this gap then it would be a great improvement for us and many other companies.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to keep in mind that using the tool, alone, will not change the way they develop their software. First, they should become familiar with agile methodology, and then they will be able to properly use TFS.

MP
Test Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, scalable, easy to use queries, and proper traceability

• "As far as queries are concerned, creating, grading, or customizing the queries as a primary requirement is very easy to do."
  • "The dashboard and the customization of dashboards is an area they have to work on."

What is our primary use case?

We use TFS for test management. Our entire project management is done through TFS.

We have our test cases uploaded, and we use it for user story tracking and progress tracking.

TFS is on our client's VMs.

What is most valuable?

What I like is the backlog management, as it is very easy to track at the feature level and move onto the big level. It offers proper traceability for this and the features.

As far as queries are concerned, creating, grading, or customizing the queries as a primary requirement is very easy to do. It's a user-friendly interface when working with queries.

What needs improvement?

TFS has to be more user-friendly. We could have some friendly dashboards, which I feel is missing here, where I can easily plug in the dashboard and use it.

Part of the test case upload is there, but it's an addon that is not being used at this time.

Creating dashboards is complicated. The dashboard and the customization of dashboards is an area they have to work on. It needs to be improved.

I would like to see improved dashboards with easy plug and play. There should be multiple templates that would be easily and readily available where I can track and create my view.

This is what I feel is missing or needs improvement.

I have been working with TFS for three years.

We are working with an up-to-date version.

TFS is a stable solution.

TFS is a scalable model. If I have to look into large projects, we have multiple agile teams having different backlogs. Having a view on this is rather scalable.

We have approximately 28 users for this current project, and we are using it on a daily basis.

We plan to keep using TFS.

I have not had any instances where I needed to contact the technical support team.

It goes back to our install team and they address the issues.

Previously, I was working with Jira and QC.

The change to TFS was because our client moved onto to TFS.

TFS is more stable and more scalable. We handling multiple projects using TFS. Usability is good and it's very easy for me to have traceability with a view on everything.

The setup is done by our customer's IT team.

In our case, it's a matter of plug and play.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, I would say that TFS is more supportive of a large enterprise.

There is a lot of information available online.

The suitability of TFS depends on the requirements of the customer. If it is for Test Management, I would say that TFS is a product that they should consider if it's a large organization that has multiple or multi-thread implementations.

Overall, I would say it's fine and I would recommend it.

I would rate TFS and eight out of ten.

KK
Agile Coach / IT Agile Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good reporting, stable, and priced competitively

• "The most valuable feature is the backlog."
  • "The program and portfolio planning facility can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

At my previous company, I was using TFS for managing projects and code.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backlog.

The reporting has improved over time, with the addition of Power BI reports.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of places that Microsoft can improve this product, as well as their support.

The program and portfolio planning facility can be improved. As it is now, you can't do portfolio program planning functionality across multiple project Areas (vs. Team areas within a project area) because you cannot link items across projects. Reporting can be done using Power BI, but real time connections are difficult.  You can use connectors and external integrations but you cannot do it with the tool. It needs to be better.

It is difficult to customize.

I had been using Team Foundation Server for between four and five years.

This is absolutely a stable platform. It is highly available and follows on the environment.

It is possible to scale, albeit tricky. There are between 2,000 and 3,000 users.

Technical support is a challenge. It is a pain to get anything from Microsoft done. For example, working on patches and queries is slow. There was a lot of functionality that we wanted to embed that we had trouble with.

They changed the entire application lifecycle management suite, so it was a challenge to understand and navigate through how things would be done.

It is not a buggy product, but for new functionality, it is really a challenge. Especially in cloud-based deployments, it is even more challenging.

I was using TFS at my previous company and my current organization uses JIRA. I would say that TFS is the more scalable of the two. With JIRA, you really need connectors and things like that. You have to have external addons to make it more scalable.

In terms of usability, JIRA might provide a better user experience but from an organizational and stability point of view, TFS wins hands-down.

Price-wise, TFS is better than JIRA.

Out of the box, the initial setup is easy. However, it is difficult to customize, especially if it is on a cloud.

TFS is more competitively priced than some other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to use as much as possible, out of the box. Customizing it is difficult. It may not necessarily fit everything perfectly and it can be tricky to scale, but not impossible. There are definitely challenges scaling it. That said, the tool from Microsoft does allow you to do things very differently but try to do it in a standard way first.

Private Cloud
Muhammad  Ishfaq
Application Developer at Saudi Credit Information Co. J.S.C.
An easy initial setup with good stability and very good scalability

• "The initial setup is fairly easy."
  • "There should be management of the project built-in."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the core repository for the complete development life cycle.

What is most valuable?

The solution helps with pretty much all aspects of the development cycle. This includes using it for QA, testing, development, and the release. It's useful for every aspect of the development cycle.

The initial setup is fairly easy.

What needs improvement?

The continuous integration and continuous delivery should begin with DSS. It doesn't right now. That needs to be changed.

The phased release process could be better. Instead of shelving the call and unshelving the call, it should be done in phases. In an updated version, this should be something they adjust. It needs a more effective release process.

There should be management of the project built-in.

I've been using the solution for more than five years.

The stability of the solution is good. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. It works. It's good. We haven't had any issues when it comes to stability.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand outwards and grow they should be able to fairly easily. We've had not trouble with that aspect of the solution.

We don't have technical support for this solution, therefore I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are.

We are still using TFS, however, we're considering switching to Microsoft Azure DevOps.

The initial setup is not complex. It is very much straightforward. It shouldn't give an organization too many problems.

I didn't deploy this solution, so I can't speak to how long it actually took to do so.

We had the help of consultants from Microsoft. The implementation was five years ago, so I can't recall too many details, however, I believe we were pleased with their work.

What other advice do I have?

Overall the solution is good. It's scalable and stable and has been working well for us. Of course, the phased release could be smoother, and it's something they need to improve upon.

I'd recommend this solution, even though we do plan to move to Microsoft Azure DevOps.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free TFS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.