TFS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TFS is #2 ranked solution in top Quality Management Tools and #5 ranked solution in top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. IT Central Station users give TFS an average rating of 8 out of 10. TFS is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps:TFS vs Microsoft Azure DevOps. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is TFS?
Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (TFS) is the collaboration platform at the core of Microsoft's application lifecycle management (ALM) solution. TFS supports agile development practices, multiple IDEs and platforms locally or in the cloud and gives you the tools you need to effectively manage software development projects throughout the IT lifecycle.

TFS was previously known as Team Foundation Server.

TFS Buyer's Guide

Download the TFS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

TFS Customers
Vendex KBB IT Services, Info Support, Fujitsu Consulting, TCSC, Airways New Zealand, HP
TFS Video

Archived TFS Reviews (more than two years old)

Philippe Meignal
Quality Lead at Oce
A single interface allows for quick and efficient browsing

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for test management, bug management, and product backlog items grooming.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution enables us to link all items usefully, in the way we use Agile.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is having everything in a single interface, allowing quick and efficient browsing.

What needs improvement?

The test management interface is not very handy. I would like to see improved metrics in MTM.

I have been using this solution for five years.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

This solution enables us to link all items usefully, in the way we use Agile.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The test management interface is not very handy.

I would like to see improved metrics in MTM.

I have been using this solution for five years.
PauloBorges
Senior IT Professional at Novabase
Facilitates team collaboration and integrates well with other tools

• "I like the build management features and the integration with Jenkins and many other tools."
  • "One of the areas that could be improved is to have an effective full lifecycle management."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for corporate internal SW development of small business applications manly in .NET.

I am the administrator and configurator of TFS Servers and other DevOps related tools (Jenkins, Ansible, Nexus, SonarQube). I create the projects and configure the full life-cycle, with a deployment model mainly on-premises for now.

How has it helped my organization?

Better team collaboration and Issue tracking.

What is most valuable?

I like the build management features, the integration with Jenkins and many other tools.

The team rooms for team collaboration, and issuing the backtracking are very valuable features.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas that could be improved is to have an effective full life-cycle management.

For example, when the developing team has an issue with a bug, they can relate and tag sources and builds to that bug, but after that, it's not easy to track if those builds where in fact deployed.

In the next release, I would l like to see a modern solution with a full integration of the real life-cycle.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

This solution is stable.

This solution has some scalability.

We have contacted technical support (local Microsoft) a couple of times I would rate them a four out of five or a nine out of ten. They are good and I am satisfied with the help that I have received from them.

Previously we used manily another solution (Serena Dimensions CM). But specially Java developers hated it, so we start to migrate to GIT and Jenkins for them, while .NET developers prefer to use TFS.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did have some issues, speacilly in the use of the databases but due to our customer internal policies, who were old fashioned and gave us some problems, but we can't blame the software for that.

TFS licencing can be confusing, we have to read it well and have a good user management strategy and control.

We evaluated modern versions of Microfocus and SVN, we still have Dimensions CM but will be discontinuing it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I'm a Outsourcing professional managing a customer IT infrastructures.
Learn what your peers think about TFS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JS
Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good dashboards and Kanban board helps with announcements and collaboration

• "I like the Kanban board. It is very useful in terms of seeing who is working on what and what the current status of work is."
  • "In the next release, I would like them to include integration for various projects, similar to what JIRA has, and they could create this feature on the dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is version control.

We use it for ticketing protecting particular items, we use the dashboard, and we use the Kanban board where you can put work items.

The deployment model that we are using is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

I really like the dashboards in this solution. They are good for the team, where you can provide announcements and you can organize it the way you want.

I like the Kanban board. It is very useful in terms of seeing who is working on what and what the current status of work is.

I know that they want to discontinue the version control feature, but I like it because for simple applications, it works.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like them to include integration for various projects, similar to what JIRA has, and they could create this feature on the dashboard.

If they could create a feature to allow us to see the dashboards with all of the products, it would be useful.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is pretty stable. I have not experienced any issues.

This solution is scalable and it is simple.

From my experience, we have loaded a lot of work and we have several branches.

We have perhaps one hundred users, but in my team specifically, we have eight users who are engineers, testers, and a few managers.

We have not contacted technical support because issues are handled by the team internally.

We have not used any other solutions previously. This has been the first one with version control.

We have an internal team that handled the implementation of this solution.

I am currently evaluating JIRA. The management is considering moving everything to JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is simple to learn. It's straightforward and you don't need a lot of time to learn the functionalities.

I would recommend this solution.

Mohamed Sadek
Lead DevOps and Release Engineer-L2 at ITWORX
helps us track each piece of code

What is our primary use case?

It's an integrated system that includes all the information that we need to deliver our products smoothly and to track the progress of each piece of code.

What is most valuable?

It's one continuous integrated solution that includes the code. We can put all of our work from tasks with cases and user tool requirements.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard needs more enhancements.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The dashboard needs more enhancements.

GS
Assistant Manager Business Analyst at Ernst & Young
Leaderboard
The tool is efficiently managing teams by giving management information, but more options could be provided from the perspective of requirements management

• "From the project management perspective, the tool is efficiently managing teams by giving management information, such as reports, graphs, velocity, capacity, etc."
  • "More options could be provided from the perspective of requirements management, which would help product owners to use the tool effectively."

What is our primary use case?

We have used TFS as part of our SAFe Agile Implementation.  Major uses of it were:

• Project management
  • Backlog management
  • Issue tracking
  • Source code management.

How has it helped my organization?

TFS was the first system of its type to be implemented in the organization, which helped in managing requirements and multiple teams effectively under a SAFe Agile environment.

What is most valuable?

• Requirements
  • Backlog management
  • Project management

Each tool has the option to prioritize requirements in a backlog pool, assigning them to particular teams and particular iterations. The system has also helped in managing requirements with options to attach supporting documents.

What needs improvement?

More options could be provided from the perspective of requirements management, which would help product owners to use the tool effectively.

NB
Sr. Quality Engineering Manager with 51-200 employees
The solution integrates well with most Microsoft products, but it is expensive compared to other project management tools.

• "The biggest value-add is the solution integrates well with most Microsoft products."
  • "Since it is Microsoft, it is technology agnostic, thus it does not really fit into various different technologies in the organization."
  • "We are also using Microsoft Teams. The two products function separately. There is not enough collaboration between Microsoft Teams and TFS."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our development is .NET based, integrating with GitHub and the code. It has been performing well. This is why we have been using TFS.

How has it helped my organization?

It brings in collaboration between our teams.

What is most valuable?

The biggest value-add is the solution integrates well with most Microsoft products.

What needs improvement?

We are also using Microsoft Teams. The two products function separately. There is not enough collaboration between Microsoft Teams and TFS.

There is no downtime. It is a very stable product.

I would rate scalability as a six out of 10.

I have been with the company only for the last one and half years, and the TFS was already in place. In my previous job, I used a different solution.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

It is pretty expensive compared to other project management tools.

What other advice do I have?

This product choice was influenced by the development team more than any other team due to the development around .NET and its accompanying technologies. The product works best for development teams.

Overall, I would rate this solution a seven out of 10. We have many different teams, and it does not work well for all them, e.g., applications for management tools.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: I look at reviews of the product because these are real companies who have been using this particular product.

it_user873726
Senior programming analyst at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Great functionality includes work items, backlogs, source code, build releases, and easy to use

• "Build definitions and releases within the product. allow us to put our latest applications in the field."
  • "It has great functionality: work items, backlogs, source code, build releases, and it's easy to use."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is as our repository for UPS Enterprise and the performance is pretty good.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a big improvement because before we were using PBCS.

What is most valuable?

Build definitions and releases within the product. They allow us to put our latest applications in the field.

What needs improvement?

Right now they are up to standard. All the features that we needed are included currently in TFS, including Git repository which allows our developers to perform their code-testing without impacting by uploading the latest code in TFS. It fits all of our needs.

100 percent stable.

It's completely scalable.

I give technical support a rating of A-plus.

The previous solution was PBCS which was obsolete for our team and that is why the company decided to invest in TFS.

When selecting a vendor what's most important, speaking from a money point of view, is that it be cost effective. It should have good support like Microsoft doing provides with TFS, and be easy to use as well.

Initial setup was straightforward.

The other vendor was HPE but we decided to go with Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

TFS is very easy to integrate into your system. It's very easy to follow for any new developers. Also, I would say some 80 percent of developers out there use Visual Studio which is integrated with TFS.

it_user736197
    Technology Expert at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The tool provides a complete solution for ALM

What is our primary use case?

Yes, TFS provides complete solution for ALM, We are managing the TFS Service for all the organisation like complete development, Development + Support model, Only Support model using Kan-ban board.

How has it helped my organization?

We have streamlined the Scrum process with TFS and the product maturity has increased a lot. The agility features which will help us to understand the project maturity and help us to grow with incremental model for every sprint.

What is most valuable?

This tool provides a complete solution for ALM. It is useful for every IT individual.

Protfolio Management, Complete Build release management are the new key features which can help the organization to achieve Requirement gather phase till deployment phase.

What needs improvement?

Every sprint Microsoft has planned for new releases includes fixing both the bugs and attuning the product to the customers' needs. If there is a need of new feature which needs to be updated in the forum and based on the voting the feature will be implemented.

An eight out of 10.

VSS, which has less features when compared to TFS.

Straightforward.

There is no product costing if you have a Microsoft subscription.

JIRA, Jama, etc.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool. Please make use of it and get more benefits.

Ramesh Karanam
    Microsoft and Dev-ops Architect at Mphasis
    Installation was very easy. We set up a multi-node installation.

What is most valuable?

1. SCM functionalities
    2. ALM Features
    9. Very good user-friendly UI
    10. Test management - capturing/creating defects
    11. Reports
    12. TFS community, APIs, and support

How has it helped my organization?

• We have set up a centralized TFS server.
    • All the delivery projects are clients for this TFS.
    • They are using it for code repository, ALMs, and for DevOps implementation.

What needs improvement?

1. Customization of build templates - better tools
    2. Tracking
    3. More friendly on test lab setup (TFS 2013, I did not verify on TFS 2017).
    4. More user-friendly on SharePoint integration (TFS 2013, I did not verify on TFS 2017).

We having been using this product for more than three years.

All for my entire development project, the major SCM tool has only been TFS.

Nope. Installation was very easy. We set up a 'multi-node' installation:

• Application tier
    • Build server
    • Database server
    • Reports server

No, stability is fine.

We encountered some issues with the report server part when the service user password changes, otherwise until today have not faced issues on the production environment.

Very good.

We used VSS and most of our projects are in Microsoft stack. I opted to choose TFS for incorporating DevOps with easy integration VS IDE as there are many advantages.

Setup is straightforward. As I mentioned earlier, we did a multi-node installation.

In-house.

No idea on this one as it was done by different team.

Yes, VSS and Git.

TT
    Senior Developer
    With the build server, I can quickly and easily generate binaries for testing and production environments

What is most valuable?

Integration with Visual Studio (VS): I have used other software management solutions with VS, but TFS is the best at the moment. It offers easy integration with servers and full functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

Another very good feature of TFS is the build server. With it, I can quickly and easily generate binaries for testing and production environments.

What needs improvement?

• Local branching
    • Move folders using drag & drop
    • Better resolve for merging the conflicts tool.

Around eight years.

No. Nothing which I have noticed.

No, but I have never worked in a big company with many developers or projects.

I can't rate. I have never used technical support.

We were using Microsoft SourceSafe, but is unreliable and slow. These issues are enough for anyone decide to change to another software management tool. As we are a Microsoft partner, we naturally switched to TFS and are happy with this solution so far.

Very simple and straightforward, which makes for a very good, first impression.

This is the negative side of TFS; the price is expensive. Microsoft offers VSTS for free if you have a very small company and don't mind to keep your code in the cloud. But if this isn't the case, you have to pay too much for licenses (in the cloud or out of it), especially if your company just needs to track the changes in your code.

No, because we are a Microsoft Partner.

What other advice do I have?

Use the free version of VSTS first, to just to have an idea of what it is. It's even possible to build binaries online.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Microsoft Partner.
    Chaminda Chandrasekara
    Software Architect with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    allows us to enhance and continuously improve our ability to deliver quality software to our clients

What is most valuable?

• TFS is full software application lifecycle management tool, where you can use it to create DevOps enabled teams.
    • It has the capability to track requirements to release, and the ability to enable automation into software delivery and the testing process, which is the main reason TFS is so powerful.
    • It is a flexible tool which can be adopted to our own way of work, that allows us to enhance and continuously improve our ability to deliver great and quality software to our clients.
    • Being a Microsoft product, it supports lot of other platforms with version control and builds systems, which is another value addition.

How has it helped my organization?

Test automation capabilities enhanced the testing processes in the software delivery, which allowed us to create more quality software in a shorter time. The capability to deliver rapidly with ever changing technology demands could be easily supported with the work process enhancements we have done based on TFS's capabilities.

What needs improvement?

Third party integrations could be improved to make it more flexible and easy to use with other platforms.

I have used TFS for eight years since TFS version 2008.

Superb. Microsoft support and the community support are always great.

No, we didn't use a different solution. TFS has been the solution from the beginning.

It was a well-documented, smooth installation process. Nothing complex.

If you do not want to have the burden of maintenance, go for Visual Studio Team Services (TFS in cloud) which is cheaper, flexible, and is always getting the latest features first.

JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it. Whether you develop on Microsoft platforms or otherwise, you will find it useful and enhancing to the way you work.

it_user740463
    IT
    Installing build agents from a command line makes maintenance easier to manage

What is most valuable?

The ability to do everything outside of an IDE. I can do 99% of everything from a web browser.

How has it helped my organization?

1. Cross platform support is great.
    2. Developing build definitions from within a web browser is fantastic.
    3. Installing build agents from a command line makes maintenance easier to manage.

What needs improvement?

The security model could be more granular.

I have worked with almost every TFS version since TFS 2005.

Some of our build agents will go offline, but we believe this might be caused by the environment, not the product.

None.

Excellent!

We used Visual SourceSafe and it lacked the ability to branch code.

It was very easy to install and setup. TFS has come a long way and so has its installation wizard.

The pricing model has changed several times, even within the last several years, but, I believe, the model is cheaper than before.

We also use Bitbucket, but my focus is TFS, so I cannot comment on that. We also use StarTeam, but we are looking to sunset this product and focus on migrating all application development teams over to TFS 2015 and Bitbucket.

What other advice do I have?

Before purchasing any hardware, you should review all the hardware requirements. Also, plan to scale if growth is expected. Build servers with more than one CPU, if you can have build agents assigned to each processor. For example, if you have a server with four CPUs, then you technically can have four build agents running on that server.

it_user738723
    Senior System Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Not just a source code repository, but a real and complete ALM solution

• "Complete integration with VS IDE and Office tools: This give us a possibility of high-level automation, thus minimizing human error."
    • "TFS on-premise does not support integration with SharePoint Online."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The TFS is not just a source code repository, but a real and complete ALM solution. Among other things, we use it as a ticketing tool. It is a building mechanism, which is really polished and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

TFS on-premise does not support integration with SharePoint Online. If you integrate it with the SharePoint on-premise upgrade, it can be quite challenging.

We have been using this product more than 11 years, started with TFS 2005.

Fortunately, we did not have any stability problems. In some versions, we sometimes noticed missed alerts on some work items, but nothing else. Eventually those bugs were fixed.

We are using a single server deployment with more than 150 projects and never had any issues. Of course, some pre- and post-installation optimization has to be done like SQL Server, etc.

Since we never had any real issues, we did not need technical support. For advice how to “squeeze” as much as possible from TFS and how to optimize it, there are numerous forums, blogs, etc. The community contribution is very valuable.

Previously, we used VSS, which was nothing but a repository, so TFS was the logical step up. Since we develop almost exclusively on MS stack, TFS as a comprehensive ALM solution fitted perfectly.

We started with TFS 2005 beta and the setup was quite complex, especially because of all the requirements which had to be met. If you used integrated the SharePoint Services upgrade, it was a small nightmare. Along the way, the setup has become less complex and is now quite simplified .

We use a Visual Studio subscription for every team member and the TFS licenses are included. If running TFS on-premise is expensive, maybe you could consider moving to the Cloud and use the Visual Studio Team Services.

We were using VSS, and partially SVN, but both of the tools were just repository. We needed the ALM solution, which integrated into VS IDE, and TFS was the logical choice.

What other advice do I have?

If you are on MS stack, I can only recommend TFS since it’s much more than just a source code repository. High level of out of box automation, integration with Visual Studio, and other tools will make your life much easier.

RaviKumar3
    IT Manager 2, Data Mgmt Tools at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    The product is absolutely scalable for use in large enterprise​ companies

What is most valuable?

• Version control
    • Project management
    • Test management
    • Release management

How has it helped my organization?

• Agile project management
    • Enterprise level development
    • Testing of large enterprise applications

What needs improvement?

Test case management could be improved.

For over 12 years now.

Nope. The product is very stable.

Nope. The product is absolutely scalable for use in large enterprise companies.

10 out of 10 is the technical support that I have received from Microsoft.

We used VSS earlier, then switched to the TFS product.

Setup has very specific documentation that needs to be followed 'exactly', and it's straight forward.

Microsoft changes licensing and pricing every year. Best thing to do is reach out to their licensing/sales folks for the latest info.

Yes, Perforce and Git were evaluated, but we wanted a single solution for the entire SDLC. This product fit the bill.

What other advice do I have?

It's an outstanding product, but needs technically qualified people to administer this product.

Ramesh Karanam
    Microsoft and Dev-ops Architect at Mphasis
    Numerous valuable features. Makes it possible for easy integration of VS IDE.

What is most valuable?

1. SCM functionalities

2. ALM features

9. Very good, user-friendly UI

10. Test management: capturing/creating defects

11. Reports

12. TFS community, APIs, and support

How has it helped my organization?

We have set up a centralized TFS server.

All delivery projects are clients for this TFS.

They are using it for code-repository, ALM, and for DevOps implementation.

What needs improvement?

1. Customization of build templates - better tools.

2. Tracking

3. More friendly Test Lab setup (in TFS 2013; I didn't verify in TFS 2017).

4. More user-friendly on SharePoint integration (in TFS 2013; I didn't verify in TFS 2017).

We have been using this for more than three years during all development projects. Major SCM and TFS only.

Nope. Installation is very easy. We have set up "Multi-node" installation:

• Application tier
    • Build server
    • Database server
    • Reports server.

No, stability is fine.

We encountered some issues with the report server when the service user password changed. Otherwise, until today, we haven't faced issues in the production environment.

Very good.

We used VSS and most of our projects are in Microsoft Stack. Opted to choose TFS for incorporating DevOps and easy integration of VS IDE. There are many advantages.

In-house.

Not idea on this one as it was done by a different team.

Yes. VSS and Git.

it_user491649
    SVP Development Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great product with capabilities for SCM, ALM and issue tracking

What is most valuable?

Source Code Management: TFS has both Git repository management as well as a TSVS Repository. It is the only source code management tool which supports both repository types and also supports on-premise installation. TFS also has ALM capabilities where business users can enter user stories, and the QA team can track test scripts and issues, where stakeholders can view project statuses effectively.

It is great product with capabilities for SCM, ALM and issue tracking.

How has it helped my organization?

Allowed project teams to communicate, collaborate and track tasks, stories, test cases, issues, and defects at a single location (using one tool).

What needs improvement?

Adding more canned reports to allow querying and reporting data export to Excel etc., which would help management with their reports.

Two years.

No issues have been noticed in stability.

No issues have been noticed in scalability.

Microsoft has good expertise in this product. Sometimes, it takes longer to get the correct resource.

Not applicable.

The TFS installation was easy. We had issues moving TFS from the development domain to the production domain. The domain has challenges as users from development domain have different signatures in production. Microsoft helped in resolving these issues.

Very straightforward pricing. We have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft, where the majority of the product is covered. One good thing is the stakeholder license, which is free for business users. Hence, the cost of the license for only the QA and Development team is around $5.

There is no single product that has both SCM and ALM integrated which can enable us to quickly onboard projects. We use JIRA for certain areas in our business, with GitHub. Great product as well, however we have had some difficulties in configuring workflows.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest giving the product a try first. Reading too much on paper does not tell you the entire story of the product. It is really good to use it if you want to combine both SCM and ALM.

it_user718215
    AVP, DevOps Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Can Provide A Centralized Place To Store All Source Code And Build Information For Entire Organization

• "Version Control: TFS offers both the centralized “TFVC” version control technology as well as the distributed “Git” version control technology."
    • "Not all of the functionality, which is exposed by the command line interface (tf.exe) is available in the Visual Studio GUI."

What is most valuable?

TFVC is a file and folder based version control system, which includes the ability to check-out, check-in, label, lock, branch, and merge. The security model is extremely granular allowing permissions to be set at the individual file, folder, or branch level (with inheritance as needed). The Git implementation is comparable to other on-premise Git offerings, such as Bitbucket and GitLab. The Git feature set has improved greatly between the 2013 and 2017 (latest) versions.

Build: The TFS build engine allows us great flexibility in how we perform our builds. While continuous integration (build on check-in) is used throughout the majority of the organization, we also leverage scheduled and manually initiated builds. The build workflow is entirely customizable and extensible to suit any need. Out-of-the-box build workflows in TFS 2013 are very NET-centric, however this has been completely overhauled in the 2015 and 2017 releases of the product. The newer versions of TFS can be used to create builds for virtually any technology stack, such as iOS builds on a Mac, Android builds, Java builds on windows\linux, etc.

.NET API: The ability to hook into TFS with custom a .NET code via API calls is critical. It allows us to automate any and all version control and build operations that we need to. Custom tooling which interfaces with TFS is a major component of our DevOps strategy/code delivery pipeline.

How has it helped my organization?

TFS sits at the core of our entire software delivery strategy. Implemented and used properly, it provides a centralized place to store all source code and build information for the entire organization. We always know which version of the code is deployed to which environment and are always in a position to support the production code line. Custom automation surrounding TFS (via the API) has increased the number of code deployments we are able to perform 1000-fold in the past 5 years.

What needs improvement?

New files/folders added to a branch are not automatically picked up as merge candidates requiring merges to be performed at a higher folder level (annoyance).

A broader view of the system-wide TFVC permissions would be beneficial. Since the security model is so granular, it makes it difficult to pull effective permissions for everything in TFVC into a single report.

I have been a user for ten years. I have been a System Administrator of TFS for eight years.

No. I have experienced no system outages in the TFS systems, which I built and configured myself.

Obviously, a poorly configured server/database instance will have stability problems. However, there is extensive public guidance provided by Microsoft on setup, upgrades, and migrations.

No. However, my user base has always been relatively small:100–200 users.

Excellent. Every ticket which I have submitted to Microsoft Premier support has been responded to very quickly. I have been put in touch with very knowledgeable engineers, and reached a resolution quickly. Post-incident follow-ups and surveys are also performed to ensure that customers have a quality experience.

It really depends on your use case. For a sandbox, you can have TFS up and running with a SQL Express instance in about 1 hour. That’s not a production-ready system, though.

Performing initial (first-time) setups is fairly straightforward – getting properly spec’ed servers/database instances, following the install guide. Performing upgrade/migrations can be complex depending on how much customization that you have to the product and what has changed between versions. If you have a lot of customization, then the upgrades are going to be complicated.

Use the Microsoft recommended “seat-based” licensing model. This allows a single developer with multiple machines to consume only one client license.

We recently looked at moving to GitLab. We chose not to do this because we already have millions of lines of code hosted in TFVC and migrating all of that to Git would be a daunting task with very little value. Since both TFVC and Git are now available and since the feature set is comparable to GitLab, we opted to stay with TFS. Development teams can “choose their own version control technology” between TFVC and Git.

What other advice do I have?

Hire a TFS expert or bring on a consultant. Nothing will ruin your development shop quicker than a poorly implemented version control/build system.

Microsoft premier consulting services is very expensive, but they can typically get you setup from soup-to-nuts in three to four weeks. That will include extensive guidance in how to use the tool. Your internal resources should work very closely with any consultant as a learning experience.

it_user718221
    QA IV with 501-1,000 employees
    Project Management And Test Management Can Be Done Together In One Tool

• "I like its MTM (Microsoft Test Manager) section which gives us options to create various test plans and add test cases into it."
    • "TFS and MTM have their own style of working and they are different from other tools like Jira or TestRail, which are simpler and easy to use."

What is most valuable?

I like its MTM (Microsoft Test Manager) section which gives us options to create various test plans and add test cases into it. Once the tests are run or tested, testers can give results. For higher managers, it is really helpful to look at its graph and figure out what is its status.

Another option that I like is linking with other works. Bugs can be associated with user story, test case, etc. This helps us to figure out which work item it is related to.

How has it helped my organization?

This really helps in planning our Regression and Functional tests as we create plan and test cases in it. It is easy for higher officials to get an overview of the testing part. Once the team is familiar with it, it’s really easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

It is completely different than other test management tools. I would highly recommend giving training and brainstorming sessions for the employees before anybody starts to use it in an organization. Otherwise, it is hard for them to work with it. In my current company, I face that situation. They introduced this tool without providing them any training or brainstorming sessions and many of them are not able to use it properly. It creates a lot of confusion. TFS and MTM have their own style of working and they are different from other tools like Jira or TestRail, which are simpler and easy to use.

I have used this product from 2015 onward. I have used its other version TFS 2013.

The product is stable. I have never had any stability issues.

I never asked for technical help. So, I don’t know.

I have worked with Jira and TestRail as part of a different project. They are simpler than TFS. It is really easy to follow these other tools, but TFS has more features and its own unique way of functioning. JIRA has no facility to create test cases, but TFS has it. TestRail is good for writing test cases mostly; project management techniques are more in TFS and MTM. In short, MTM and TFS have more functions. Project management and test management can be done together in one tool.

I have never set it up in an organization. I have just used it. It was really tough for me at the start to use. I never had any experience with it before. I learned by myself looking at YouTube videos. Best bet would be to get an introduction, a brainstorming session, and some follow-up session for the beginners.

I am not sure about pricing. I never got a chance to purchase it.

I never purchased it. No comments on this.

What other advice do I have?

Since I have worked with Jira and TestRail as part of test management, I would strongly suggest giving training to your employees before implementing them. TFS is way different from other tools; its working style is also different. Unless, they get introduced to it, you won’t be able to attain its merits. TFS is really worth it if we can use its advanced features. In order to get that kind of understanding, a training session and follow-up sessions once a while are essential. Learning TFS is like getting familiar with a brand new tool. That kind of awareness is needed from both the employees and higher officials.

it_user719787
    DevOps Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Initial Setup is Easy and All Features are Valuable

What is most valuable?

All TFS features are valuable. We used the full TFS switch.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization used to use Excel sheets to control the projects. We didn't have any indicator, workflows or rastreability.

What needs improvement?

For our activities, the product is very complete. Automatic tests may need some improvements.

Four years.

It's good.

Yes. The company chose a different solution basically because of the higher cost.

No. The initial setup is very simple.

The complete switch is very good. If you have the budget, choose TFS.

Yes. A lot of solutions (Jira, Redmine, SVN, SVS, Git, etc.).

What other advice do I have?

If you don't have any impediments, choose a Microsoft Solution. An MS solution is totally integrated.

Abhishek Ransingh
    Senior Microservice/Cloud Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Supports Multiple Code Repositories But Needs Improvement On Its Agile Functionality

What is most valuable?

TFS can support multiple code repositories (example: Git, TFS, CVS, etc.) via plugins, which is really a nice feature.

How has it helped my organization?

As I mentioned, it supports multiple code repositories. You can also build CI/CDs out of it. You can instruct TFS to build your .jar, .war, and .ear files and deploy them to to certain environments based on your configuration. So you don’t have explicitly maintain another code repository and CI/CD tools for your continuous integration/build purpose. This also automatically reduces DevOp burden and the number of people maintaining that DevOp work.

What needs improvement?

It needs huge improvement on its Agile functionality.

For more than a year, until I left the company.

We had our own support member (so I can't rate their support).

Yes, I used to use VersionOne, HP AGM, and JIRA to track and monitor Agile practice in my previous companies. At Lennox they had only one option, TFS.

I wasn’t involved in this process.

I wasn’t involved in discussions of pricing or licensing for TFS at Lennox.

As far as I‘m aware, the company decided to use TFS without evaluating other options.

What other advice do I have?

There are better tools for Agile and CI/CD in the market. TFS may be good for code repository purposes; however, it's not the best for Agile practice.

it_user718479
    Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Speeds Up The Build And Deployment Process

What is most valuable?

I especially like the Build and Release features since I mainly work in that area with customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has sped up the build and deployment process. We can now deploy the same application version to each environment in a repeatable and automated fashion.

What needs improvement?

I think the testing tools need some work.

I have used TFS since 2015. I have used the latest version since it first came out.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

10 out of 10.

No, I have used this solution for 12 years now.

It was very easy to deploy the on-premise version of TFS. The wizard really helps facilitate the ease of the deployment. The web version is super easy to setup and it takes a little more than 10 minutes to be up and running.

I cannot advise as the costs and licensing vary by organization and the type of agreement that they have with Microsoft. I direct all those types of questions to Microsoft.

No other products were evaluated, but I have setup other solutions for customers.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t wait too long. If you can use the cloud version, it has so much less overhead and you also stay up-to-date on features.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: DevOps Gold Partner with Microsoft.
    Software Test Consultant / Automation Test Architect at a tech services company
    Makes the Management of Test Artifacts More Effective

What is most valuable?

The Test Management features.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made the management of test artifacts more effective, thus leading to the improvement in the quality of our products from a testing/quality perspective.

What needs improvement?

For VSTS, more flexibility around the customisation of test reports.

Over two years.

The Microsoft Tech Support team responded very quickly to the requests we made to them.

As a Test Architect, I have used varying solutions. So, it depends on the direction that the company is taking from a tooling perspective.

It was straightforward with help from online help articles and Microsoft documentation.

Microsoft has different licensing models. Each organisation would have to decide which is best for them.

It was client specific. So in this instance, it was the chosen option.

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof of concept to ascertain that it fits with your organisation.

it_user354774
    Sr Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Pricing Is Better Compared To Other Leading Tools, Support/Help Could Be Improved

What is most valuable?

Reports for user stories statuses, hours logged, burn down charts, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to manage the work more effectively. Everyone has a current status at any given point of time.

What needs improvement?

Help on the site should be improved.

A year and half.

Not as of now.

Have not reached out to technical support.

We used HP QC, then we moved to TFS because of the client's affinity towards TFS.

What's

What is most valuable?

Reports for user stories statuses, hours logged, burn down charts, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Help on the site should be improved.

A year and half.

Not as of now.

Have not reached out to technical support.

Straightforward.

Pricing is better compared to other leading tools.

What other advice do I have?

This tool is good for agile projects, and it has all features which QC provides.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner with vendor.
    it_user711930
    Senior Technical Lead
    Easily create, update, and delete work-items from the code itself

• "The API for managing TFS programmatically is very powerful, you can listen on work items changes by TFS events."
    • "Sometimes we feel that it need more CPU, and RAMs on TFS server, either we implemented the hardware with the product minimum requirements."

What is most valuable?

Source control, and work item tracking, from user experience, it is very easy to relate code versions with work items, and to track your changes easily from multiple interfaces "Visual Studio, TFS web browser."

Also, the API for managing TFS programmatically is very powerful, you can listen on work items changes by TFS events.

Also, you can easily create, update, and delete work-items from the code itself.

In addition, you can extend Visual Studio IDE by adding extensions that you can use with TFS API, to extend the work items module.

Microsoft provide a full BI solution for reporting , and analyze the TFS data in order to bring powerful reports for top management

Recent changes/upgrades that were made:

-New software processes was added.
    -Ability to create custom dashboards for each team project on TFS web browser.
    -Ability to integrate with Microsoft enterprise project management tool, which covers the gap between software process, and project management tasks

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented the scrum process in our company, and we used TFS as the main tool to manage that process.

We upgraded to TFS 2017, which has a lot of features for SCRUM process that can be managed from a web browser.

For over seven years.

Yes, sometimes we feel that it need more CPU, and RAMs on TFS server, either we implemented the hardware with the product minimum requirements.

No, it is very easy to scale it up.

I haven't needed to contact them.

I used before IBM Clear Quest, which had a very bad interface, was very expensive as they price per user, was very hard to modify screens, no flexibility to extend, and by the way it can only be integrated with IBM Clear Case source control.

TFS also is one license for multiple products "source control, work item, build management, reports" also it integrates easily with other products, by its powerful API.

Also it is not easy to find an IBM CQ , or an IBM CC consultant, while it is easier to find a TFS consultant.

It is very straightforward.

Excellent, especially if you have an enterprise license agreement with Microsoft.

See my prior answer about previous solutions used.

What other advice do I have?

Try to bring the latest version, TFS 2017.

it_user711909
    QA Automation Engineer
    One of the valuable features is coded UI automation. The record and play functionality needs some improvement.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable and interesting features is Coded UI automation.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps with the structure of the tickets. It can be modified and configured for different flows.

What needs improvement?

The record and play functionality needs some improvement. The record and play is tricky. In order to make it work for you, you need to do some workarounds. For instance, I use the Run application of the Windows. You need to use it properly.

The MTM is stable.

It can be used for a lot of web tests and Windows testing. I do API tests with Fiddler via MTM.

Microsoft has really nice support.

We used JIRA, but the technology is different. If the developers don't use TFS, then the MTM is really hard to integrate to the process.

The initial setup was easy, but it can be even easier if you get some help at the beginning.

It is a really fair price for the functionality you get.

I was using bug tracking systems. MTM is not only a bug tracking system, but you can also manage your tasks and test runs.

it_user712050
    TFS Admin, Configuration Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

• "Work item management integration with source control."
    • "Microsoft should discontinue the use of SharePoint as I don’t really see any value add to TFS, document management features can be included in TFS web portal itself, if required!"

What is most valuable?

Work item management integration with source control. I value it as the most valuable feature since it provides seamless integration with your TFS source control which makes it easy to drill down the requirements from the source control, and vice versa.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved a lot over the years with newer versions, Build is one such area which has been significantly simplified, making it very easy for the users to use than the previous XAML and pre TFS 2010 build infrastructure.

Also, the introduction of Release Management has made TFS a complete ALM tool.

What needs improvement?

I think the integration with SharePoint. Microsoft should discontinue the use of SharePoint as I don’t really see any value add to TFS, document management features can be included in TFS web portal itself, if required!

11+ years, using TFS right from the first version (TFS 2005).

I have rarely faced any stability issues, except for some minor notification/alerts issues, etc., which can be easily ignored, as Microsoft is quick to provide fixes for them as well as there are quarterly updates for TFS.

The technical support has always been up to the mark in my case. Also, there are multiple posts online which help you in difficult times.

Yes, I previously used VSS, but since it was just a source control solution, I moved to TFS, which offered much more features in one package.

The previous version of TFS (TFS 2005) were a bit messy during setup due to the different installers required for different components, but with newer versions the installation and setup has been simplified to a great extent.

Yes, the pricing and licensing for TFS is on the higher side, but if you intend to use the tool as a complete ALM tool, it will reduce your costs in the long run.

As of now, there are no products in market which you can compare with TFS which provides you complete integration with different components required in ALM hemisphere, I have tried various Open Source tools, but none of them can match the functionality TFS provides. They are GIT, JIRA, Octopus Deploy, etc.

What other advice do I have?

If you need a complete ALM tool for Microsoft applications and have the budget, please go ahead with TFS.

Software Development Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    It helps us to manage our Scrum process, as well as continuous integration

What is most valuable?

The scrum template to manage our development process, as well as the continuous build and release functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us to manage our Scrum process, as well as continuous integration, but not much more than the previous product we used (JIRA).

What needs improvement?

Agile metrics/reporting (if you compare it to JIRA's functionality), as well as more/better customizable widgets to create richer dashboards.

I would really like to be able to see things such as cycle and lead times for issues, as well as be able to see the cumulative flow diagram on a dashboard.

We use the on-premise version of TFS, and I see that the cycle and lead time widgets are only available on the Team Services version.

I must admit that I don't like the fact that the on-premise versions are always behind the Team Services version. Do you maybe have an indication of when we can expect to have these widgets available in the on-premise version?

We have been using TFS 2017 for three weeks now. However, we have been on the previous versions (2013 & 2015) for three years.

We have had no need for any technical support so far. Should we require technical support, I don't know if it will be readily available in South Africa.

Yes, we used JIRA. Since we have to pay for Visual Studio, licenses for coding purposes (and these licenses included TFS) it did not make sense to continue paying for JIRA, even though I really liked the JIRA solution.

We got an external consultant to help us with the initial setup so it was pretty straight forward. Since then I was able to make all the required changes.

Pricing and licensing model is still quite complex, as are all of Microsoft's products.

We did not evaluate other options, but like I mentioned, we were using the Atlassian suite of products.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you understand Microsoft's licensing model and that you select the process templates that are most suitable to you when setting up the product for the first time. Different process templates have different reports that you can view.

it_user710526
    Automation Specialist Team Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    TFS was purchased to help support the development team

• "TFS’s test management capability without the expensive licensing has large gaps. Users will be unable to access performance testing and coded UI testing capabilities."
    • "Access and permissions are confusing when attempting to include basic manual testing functionalities."

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Test Manager with Enterprise Licensing.

Test Execution will not allow 'on the fly' correction of the test steps that affect the test case itself and not just the run copy of the test case.

Reporting has less depth and cannot report on requirement coverage without Microsoft Test Manager with Enterprise Licensing.

How has it helped my organization?

Any improvements would have come on the development side as the organization already had a more mature test management application.

What needs improvement?

Basic, manual testing should not be only available at the most expensive pricing level. We use many different resources during the testing process, some users only create the test cases, some only execute test cases, and some do both.

For instance, a user who has contributor and project admin access can end up with no ability to create a test case due to permission level. All users doing any type of test authoring, execution, failure triage or reporting must have the costly advanced permission level.

The ability to export test cases with test steps from TFS to excel, the ability to sync excel changes back to TFS or upload existing excel test cases into TFS. Getting existing test cases in other application lifecycle software into TFS is a finicky, time-consuming process relying on cut and paste functionality.

The ability to see a hierarchical view of user stories with child test cases and the test cases bugs in the backlog

Since November 2016.

There is an issue when selecting multiple test cases for execution or editing that the rows selected are not highlighted in IE 11 and Chrome. There is also an intermittent issue with test modules toolbar icon visibility in IE 11.

I am not involved in this aspect of TFS’ evaluation.

Yes we are using HPE ALM for Test Management, TFS was purchased to help support the development team

I am not involved in this aspect of TFS’ evaluation.

It's just as expensive as HPE ALM, without many of the features, best used for development tool only to avoid higher costs.

I am not involved in this aspect of TFS’ evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

Test Management is immature for an application lifecycle management tool and it might take a couple more releases and pricing/functionality restructuring.

it_user371505
    QA Manager, Automation Testing Architect at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides traceability, test management, and source control. I would like to see better test automation.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include total traceability, test management, source control, and extensibility.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution gives us support for Agile processes, including usage of board and burndown charts. It provides us with an estimation process to move to formal and test coverage for more visibility and accountability.

What needs improvement?

• Test automation: There is only integration with the MS framework which requires us to use only a certain configured infrastructure. Even MS is changing this approach as integration should be done on your own (publishing test execution results into TFS).
    • Process customization: This is evolving but it is still far behind the competitors such as JIRA WI management, HPE ALM with events model and ability to manage all aspects of integration including VersionOne integration with multiple APIs.
    • Scaling for large organizations: There is no predefined approach for handling different types of projects. You need to build out your own way using community suggestions and your implementation resources. There are limited scaling strategies for large organizations with more than 300 users.

We have been using the solution for more than five years.

There were some minor stability issues under a large load or during migration between versions.

For large organizations with more than 200+ concurrent users, there can be some scalability issues.

The technical support has been getting better since 2015, when MS started making more frequent releases, including a user voice application.

Previously, we were using HPE ALM, QA Manager, Atlassian Stack, and small, customized ALM products. The change was made at the corporate level.

It depends on the project/organization size. For a small organization/team, it is very easy. For a large one, the process definition takes more time and then the setup can happen.

If you have an MSDN license for using TFS, it is a good tool to start from. Later on, you may prefer to select another suite. However, you need to be sure about change. TFS, as from 2015, is evolving very quickly including the CI server, GIT server, and code review process with pull requests support inside.

We evaluated HPE ALM, JIRA, and VersionOne.

What other advice do I have?

Look for the cloud version. It will give you an understanding of further development of the product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an MS Gold Partner.
    it_user469371
    Development Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    It has allowed us to continually maintain our code repository

What is most valuable?

We use the source code repository technology of TFS, we have Git repository in TFS, and also, have TFVC.

Git was introduced starting from TFS 2013. This allowed our team the flexibility on the source control preference.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has allowed us to continually maintain our code repository.

What needs improvement?

The product is mature. We use it as our primary on-premise source control for both Git and TFVC allowing the flexibility for different delivery team to use different source control that best suits them.

We have just recently upgraded to this version of TFS, but have been using Microsoft Team Foundation Server for the last six years.

If your plan on using on-premise, we would recommend you would resource your hardware/VM requirements appropriately to host Team Foundation Server.

There were no scalability issues.

The product is mature, as we’ve upgraded our on-premise Team Foundation we’ve never had to engage technical support, as the upgrade process was seamless barring some minor issues here and there.

There was no issue with the setup or upgrade path as both are well documented.

There is now cloud offering of the Team Foundation Server known as Team Foundation Services for smaller companies/individuals to use, starting out with the free version for five users. I would recommend people review their requirements based on the size and resources; review them with the different offering that is now available from Microsoft.

As the variant of this product was already in use, we followed the upgrade path as we are Microsoft Gold Partners.

What other advice do I have?

Now, there is the cloud offering of Team Foundation Server which is known as Visual Studio Team Services which would suit those who do not want to maintain the on-premise version and is free for up to five users.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Microsoft Gold Partners.
    it_user679293
    Server Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Increased productivity and reduced our times to market by 60%

What is most valuable?

Project Management: Agile and Code development can now work side-by-side in the same solution.

This speeds up development, as developers do not need to be swapping applications to update and develop at the same time.

How has it helped my organization?

TFS increased productivity and reduced our times to market by 60%.

What needs improvement?

The product needs to stay competitive with its peers like Github, and the adoption of other markup language renderings in the code section of TFS.

10 years.

I didn't encounter any issues with stability.

I didn't encounter issues with scalability.

If you have premier support, then the support is excellent. We get a response within four hours of placing a ticket.

I did not use a different solution prior to using TFS.

Simple, out-of-the-box.

The only area that takes time is creating builds and release pipelines.

It's free with MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network).

We have looked at Github, JIRA, and Rally.

What other advice do I have?

Team Foundation Server is an enterprise ALM tool, not just for developers.

It’s come a long way in 10 years, it's worth a look.

Senior Firmware Architect at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    RBAC management is too complicated for SCM and IT to manage.

Valuable Features:

Code annotations and code review is the "most valuable" feature of this product platform.

Improvements to My Organization:

RBAC management is too complicated for SCM and IT to manage, Windows Explorer integration of Power Tools is not reliable, Workspace synchronization is not reliable, does not support keyword expansion, does not support offline history and cannot even determine the current workspace version without being connected to TFS server, shelf sets cannot be versioned, shelf sets cannot be merged, and merges do not carry associated work items.  These are just the issues with version control.

Room for Improvement:

Throw a dart, you will hit something that needs improvement in TFS.

Head of Department Projects at Pasiona
    We use it to perform Continuous Integration, making build operations each night and increasing quality process to prevent code regressions.

What is most valuable?

In our company, we develop software applications. With TFS we can manage the whole application lifecycle with a single product, and it is visible for all the team members.

How has it helped my organization?

I can point to two basic improvements:

1. The project management. Before TFS, we used Microsoft Project and Excel to manage project tasks and release dates (only the Project Manager could do this). Since we adopted Scrum as a part of software development, we needed an agile tool to perform this task. TFS it is a great tool to manage Agile projects because the whole team is kept up to date with TFS burn down charts, release dates and so on, so we eliminated the need for Project.
    2. We can use TFS to perform Continuous Integration, making build operations each night. This increases quality process and prevents code regressions.

What needs improvement?

Continuous integration in most of .NET developments (web and desktop applications) is ease to configure. But in case of other kind of developments (SharePoint or Xamarin) is not so easy, you have to spend a lot of time making customizations. It would be nice to have some integrations tools for this kind of projects.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

We could find all the required information in Microsoft’s online support (websites, blogs etc.), so I can’t rate the customer service for this product.

We used TFS 2010. We don’t evaluate any other product because we only use Microsoft products.

For our needs, we choose a basic configuration, one single server. In our case it was easy to set up the whole system.

In-house. We have the required people to set up the product on our own, in some cases, it is better to call a vendor team.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Microsoft Partners
    it_user323955
    Application Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Developers are able to download code at any point in time, but the bug-tracking tools could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Application Lifecycle Management Team Build Definitions Kanban

How has it helped my organization?

Developers are able to download code at any point in time. Helped in DevOps responsibilities.

What needs improvement?

Team Build definitions Bug-tracking tools.

I've used it for around five years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's very good. Technical Support: It's very good.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

What is most valuable?

• Application Lifecycle Management
    • Team Build Definitions
    • Kanban

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

• Team Build definitions
    • Bug-tracking tools.

I've used it for around five years.

It's very good.

It's very good.

I used SVN, and wished to have a proprietary tool so choose TFS.

It was straightforward, using the proper documentation.

We used an in-house team.

Its pretty much dealt with using a Microsoft subscription.

it_user323880
    Lead Developer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's replaced a number of separate source control, work items, and build solutions that were stretched to their limits. The initial setup, however, was quite complex.

What is most valuable?

The full ALM experience that means you can have all your information in one place. For example having everything linked together – your build linked to changes in source control which link to the work items the prompted the changes in the first place, linked to the tests that were run. This is essential when you work in an industry which requires traceability. However, all this doesn’t detract from the fact that TFS supports and encourages agile ways of working.

The level of customisation on TFS allows you to change any parts of the process to suit any organisation’s need.

How has it helped my organization?

TFS replaced a number of separate source control, work item and build solutions that were stretched to their limits, since adopting TFS we have been able to scale the development department without any limits from our tooling.

TFS has aided our agile transformation by providing digital Kanban boards that have enabled teams to be more productive when working remotely from one another.

What needs improvement?

I have a list things on the Visual Studio uservoice page, but none of them are major. I’m expecting most of the issues we have to the moment to be resolved in the 2015 lifecycle.

I've been using TFS for five years.

No issues encountered.

I’ve never contacted the official support channels, but I have received support via blog posts and e-mailing some of the public facing people and each time the responses have been excellent. I’ve been quickly put in touch with developers who are experts in the field and had my questions answered or my problem resolved. I have even helped to diagnose and log a bug against TFS that Microsoft were struggling with in VSOnline.

The decision was not mine, but it was based on having a complete ALM solution instead of just a bunch of systems thrown together.

Setting up TFS 2010 was quite complex, as it is an enterprise product, but nothing too complicated, just a lot of reading to make sure all the parts worked. SharePoint was hard to configure, but we no longer integrate them.

SH
    Sr Software QA Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Being able to easily create new bugs during the execution of a testcase in MS Test, then resume testing, is a time-saving feature. Deleting work items from the database, however, is difficult to do.

Valuable Features

As a QA geek, MS Test is the most valuable component.

Improvements to My Organization

Being able to easily create new bugs during the execution of a testcase in MS Test, then resume testing is a time-saving feature.

Room for Improvement

It is very difficult to delete work items from the database. It would be helpful if MS provided a way to simplify that.

Use of Solution

I've used it for over three years at three different companies.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: I have never needed to contact Microsoft about this product. Technical Support: I have never needed to contact Microsoft about this…

Valuable Features

As a QA geek, MS Test is the most valuable component.

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

I've used it for over three years at three different companies.

No issues encountered.

I have never needed to contact Microsoft about this product.

I have never needed to contact Microsoft about this product.

I was not responsible for the initial install of TFS, but the setup/config of both requirements, test cases and test plans was straightforward.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I was not involved in the buying process.

it_user303018
    Software Development Leader at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Version change was quick and very smooth, but its usage needs to be more simple and interactive.

What is most valuable?

TFS itself is a platform for collaborative development. All the features in it are essential for successful development projects, especially version control, defects tracking, SCRUM tools etc.

How has it helped my organization?

TFS SCRUM adoption in our organization was very smooth.

What needs improvement?

Scrum Board implementation and Backlog viewer require some improvements in order to make its usage simpler and interactive.

I've used TFS since 2007, and the 2013 version since it was released.

No issues encountered.

Back in 2007 we used Source Safe Control. When we realized that we needed a generic platform which would combine task and defects tracking with version controlling, we moved to TFS.

I was not involved in the original setup, but the version change was quick and very smooth.

Our in-house IT department deployed it who are very experienced.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Microsoft Gold Partners
    it_user302907
    Programmer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Because everything is stored in the cloud, I'm able to compare and restore my unfinished work with the shelving changes feature.

What is most valuable?

The version control itself (version history, branching and merging), shelving change and build server.

How has it helped my organization?

With TFS online, now everything is in the cloud, it is tidy and easy to compare and restore, especially my unfinished work, where I use the shelving changes feature. It's very useful.

What needs improvement?

I can't see any major improvements for now. Maybe the comparing tool is too simple, but I'm using an alternative, so I have no problem at all.

We've used it for five years, basically for source control. I used work items once for a very short time, so I can't consider it as "used".

I've not had to use it.

I had to use TFS because it was there in the companies where I worked, but I also used CVS and Git. I think that TFS is easier because it is already integrated with Visual Studio, if you are using Visual Studio.

I've never setup a TFS server.

if TFS was completely free (not limited to five members for online), I would suggest using it, but the price for extra members is too expensive in my opinion and is worth it only if you are using Visual Studio, otherwise other solutions can do basically the same (talking only about source control).

it_user298437
    Senior Developer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    Work items allows easier tracking for risks, bug and issues, and tasks.

What is most valuable?

Source control Work items Team build

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to implement agile methodology, updated and uniform code on work spaces. Work items allows easier tracking for risks, bug and issues, and tasks.

What needs improvement?

As of now, TFS delivers what we need on the project/business.

I've used it for seven years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: I haven't needed their help yet. Technical Support: I haven't…

What is most valuable?

• Source control
    • Work items
    • Team build

How has it helped my organization?

• It's easy to implement agile methodology, updated and uniform code on work spaces.
    • Work items allows easier tracking for risks, bug and issues, and tasks.

What needs improvement?

As of now, TFS delivers what we need on the project/business.

I've used it for seven years.

No issues encountered.

I haven't needed their help yet.

I haven't needed their help yet.

For source control, I've used SVN Tortoise before. TFS is more useful, organized and user-friendly.

Straightforward. Usually no issues being encountered when setting up.

We used a vendor team from Microsoft.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners of Microsoft
    it_user297138
    QA Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides recording and playback, but setup is complex and the license is expensive.

What is most valuable?

Record and playback is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

Tech support needs a lot of improvement License is expensive

I've used it for six months.

No issues encountered.

Their support needs much improvement.

The company chose to switch from HP to Microsoft because of the expense of the licenses.

It was complex.

I don't know the…

What is most valuable?

Record and playback is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

• Tech support needs a lot of improvement
    • License is expensive

I've used it for six months.

No issues encountered.

Their support needs much improvement.

It was complex.

I don't know the ROI yet.

HP products were also evaluated.

it_user293892
    Business Analyst Practice Lead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has allowed us to document our requirements, but was difficult to transition into initially.

What is most valuable?

• Product backlog
    • Work items (Features, User Stories, Bugs, Tasks)

How has it helped my organization?

We transitioned into an agile software development shop around 2010. Using TFS allowed us to document our requirements as Features and User Stories on a Product Backlog, which allows all team members to access them at the same time. They can see updates and changes to them in real-time. It also supports our iteration-based development approach effectively, by allowing us to group features, and user stories into iterations, as well as forecast upcoming user stories into future iterations.

I've been using it for five years.

No issues encountered.

Previously we primarily used a waterfall software development methodology, so our move to TFS coincided with a reorganization we went through into an agile shop.

From a project/requirements perspective, transitioning into TFS was fairly straightforward. Instead of creating requirements documents for upcoming projects, functionality was documented as Features and User Stories in TFS. There was a learning curve for the organization as a whole who didn’t have much agile experience to be able to document and read requirements as user stories.

Sr. Director, Development at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It has built-in validation for most implementation steps, however it needs change control for build definitions.

What is most valuable?

• Source code management
    • Branch/merge tools
    • Build capabilities
    • Work item tracking
    • Scrum board management

How has it helped my organization?

We've reduced production deployment rollbacks 100%.

What needs improvement?

Build definition management - there needs to be change control for build definitions

I've used it for 10 years.

It's a long upgrade process, but works fine.

8/10

8/10

No previous solution was used.

It was straightforward. It's mostly wizard-driven, with plenty of built-in validation for most steps.

Virtually immeasurable. The low cost of the product is nothing compared to the productivity improvements it brings.

Size accordingly. Not every shop needs every feature.

Size accordingly. Not every shop needs every feature.

What other advice do I have?

Recognize the fact that TFS isn't just a source code management tool. It's an application lifecycle management tool that covers all facets of software project management as well as development, deployment, and production support.

Software Quality Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It provides us with project analysis from scratch and enables us to create a requirements document for maintenance.

What is most valuable?

• project Life cycle
    • Bug tracking
    • Creating test cases
    • Executing test cases

How has it helped my organization?

As i'm an Software Quality Engineer It's a helpful product because you can provide project analysis from scratch and create a requirements document for maintenance. Also, it creates a strong relation between developers and testers that allows communication between them through analysis, design, implementation and testing, tracking bugs, bugs report, sitting severity and priority and discuss each issue with developer acc. to requirement document.

What needs improvement?

I don't know of any areas that need improvement.

I've used it for over a year.

No issues encountered.

No previous solution was used.

It was straightforward. You can learn how to do it through self-study.

Technical Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We used TFS to force some policies to control the project documentation and source controlling, but the admin tools need to be easier to use.

What is most valuable?

• Source Controlling
    • Application Development
    • Project Life Cycle

How has it helped my organization?

When we applied the CMMI standards in our SDLC we used TFS to force some policies to control the project documentation and source controlling, and to manage the relationship between concerned parties.

What needs improvement?

TFS administration tools need to be more controlled and easier to use.

I've used it for a total of seven years, and for the last three years, I have used it more as a TFS administrator not only as an end user.

No issues encountered.

Yes in 2007 we used a different source controlling tool and we faced a lot of issues and with no GUI we had to deal with it using commands which made our life even harder.

TFS, like most Microsoft products, is easy to install use. The initial setup is very easy, all you need to know is the basic configurations that need to be applied.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are golden partners of Microsoft in different areas like Portal and Collaboration, and we are currently targeting the golden partnership in Application Development
    it_user288372
    Lead SharePoint Developer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It seamlessly integrates with Visual Studio, but outlining user edits in history view would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

Versioning and seamless integration with Visual Studio are the features I like most.

How has it helped my organization?

We have had to recall a prior “production-ready” version to provide as a temporary solution.

What needs improvement?

History view outlining edits by user would be a nice addition.

I've been using it for four years.

No issues encountered.

I've not used it specifically for TFS.

Which solution

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

History view outlining edits by user would be a nice addition.

I've been using it for four years.

No issues encountered.

I've not used it specifically for TFS.

We previously used SourceSafe.

It's straightforward.

It was done as an in-house implementation.

TFS was recommended by outside vendors as well as in-house staff. No other products were evaluated

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have an MSDN Enterprise subscription
    it_user286836
    VMware Engineering Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It's kept our code organized so that our developers aren't stepping on each other's code, but the interface requires new team members to spend a few weeks to get accustomed to it.

What is most valuable?

Change control Collaboration Change history

How has it helped my organization?

TFS has allowed our development team to function better as a group, by keeping code organized, and making it easier to prevent people from stepping on each other's code.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs work. As it is, it takes a few weeks to get new team members used to using it.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

Which solution did I use previously and why did

What is most valuable?

• Change control
    • Collaboration
    • Change history

What needs improvement?

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

We used GIT, and we switched because TFS was easier to use and maintain.

It was straightforward.

We did it in-house.

We are currently using the free version.

We also lookeed at GIT.

Chaminda Chandrasekara
    Software Architect with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    It's streamlined our software development process, but there were deployment issues at times.

Valuable Features

Agile project management Requirements management Team management Source code management Testing software Deployment and test automation

Improvements to My Organization

Reduced cost of software implementation and testing processes by automation Streamlined the software development process so that we could deliver high quality software in short time to the market

Use of Solution

I've been using it for five to six years.

Sometimes, but Microsoft support was always awesome.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's superb. Technical Support: It's superb.

It is simple and well documented.

Implementation Team

Valuable Features

• Agile project management
    • Requirements management
    • Team management
    • Source code management
    • Testing software
    • Deployment and test automation

Improvements to My Organization

• Reduced cost of software implementation and testing processes by automation
    • Streamlined the software development process so that we could deliver high quality software in short time to the market

Use of Solution

I've been using it for five to six years.

Sometimes, but Microsoft support was always awesome.

It's superb.

It's superb.

It is simple and well documented.

Other Solutions Considered

Just go for it. It is amazing.

it_user281970
    Business Intelligence Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    There are some issues with stability, but I have reduced the time I spend merging code.

What is most valuable?

Version control Code backup

How has it helped my organization?

I have spent less time merging code from developers.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the stability and merging features, especially with SSIS.

I've used this version for four months, and previously I was using TFS2010 for two years.

No issues encountered.

There were some minor issues.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: I have not needed to contact them. Technical Support: I have not needed to contact them. …

What is most valuable?

• Version control
    • Code backup

How has it helped my organization?

I have spent less time merging code from developers.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the stability and merging features, especially with SSIS.

No issues encountered.

There were some minor issues.

No issues encountered.

I have not needed to contact them.

I have not needed to contact them.

I previously used MS Source Safe and TFS was just the logical progression.

We did it in-house.

You could use a less expensive product, but if you need integration with MS Visual Studio this is the best product.

The system admins evaluated a few products.

it_user2880
    Senior Developer at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    I will choose this platform again and again.

Valuable Features:

TFS is a very Easy to use product,, Scalable and Configurable. It is very well integrated into a native development environment , with massive reporting services. TFS helps not only to manage R&D groups but to easily create , change and implement work processes rapidly. TFS provides end to end Application Life Cycle management capabilities ,

Room for Improvement:

It is windows only product

Other Advice:

We chose TFS because it was the native choice for .Net development. Although in the bank there are other ALM products (separated for bugs, demands, deployments), we insisted on using a complete one solution for our new development projects, and as for now, TFS is doing its way to become a mainstream product for .Net based develoment projects.
    Download our free TFS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.