RR
Senior Security Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Plenty of useful features, highly scalable, and readily available documentation

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to store all of our secrets. For example, passwords, usernames, and other credentials. These credentials can be from many places, such as service accounts, bank accounts, and key pairs. It also has the functionality if, for example, a contractor requests to log into a specific server, they would use the Secret Server to log in to the server session that is monitored and he or she would be logging in without the actual real credentials. It is also on a rotating password system.

What is most valuable?

I have found most valuable the automatic scheduled password rotation and remote desktop monitoring. Additionally, the documentation is readily available and easy to find and the dashboard is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see scheduled reports in a future release.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

I have found the solution to be very stable.

You can set up two different servers and the process is straightforward. The solution is scalable and we have 70 users using it in my organization.

We might increase usage in the future but it all depends because currently all of the operations teams have been provided for. If the operations team grows, there would be room for more usage.

The technical support needs improvement. For example, if you have any problems on the server configuring the IIS, they would provide you very limited details and they would tell you the problem is on your end. They are limited to only supporting their application, even if you have the slightest problem assessing their application through IIS they will refer you to contact Microsoft.

Additionally, the sales team could be more friendly and helpful.

I would rate the technical support of Thycotic Secret Server a seven out of ten.

The installation was straightforward.

There is an annual license fee per user and the price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Thycotic Secret Server an eight out of ten.

CS
Assistant Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good session monitoring and reporting capability, but more online training sessions should be available

• "The most valuable feature is session monitoring."
  • "Having more detailed reporting would improve this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients.

It is used for privileged access management for networks, servers, applications, databases, and more.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is session monitoring.

The Password Changer is a useful feature.

The reporting functionality is good.

What needs improvement?

They need to open a data center in Malaysia so that we can better provide cloud-based services to our customers.

I would like to see more training sessions made available online.

Having more detailed reporting would improve this solution.

We have been working with Thycotic Secret Server for less than one year.

We have had issues with stability in the past, although technical support has always been able to help us to fix them. This type of solution is used on a daily basis.

It is easy to scale. Our clients are generally medium-sized companies.

Technical support is good. There is always somebody available to assist us with issues.

Some of our clients have switched to Thycotic because of the cost.

The initial setup is relatively simple. It can be installed in one day, although for the configuration it may take a few days.

Normally, we do the installation of this solution for our clients. One to two people is sufficient for handling the deployment.

The price of this solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to first understand their requirements and then define the scope before implementing it. The reason is that once deployed, there is a lot of integration into the existing environment.

This is a product that I would recommend.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Thycotic Secret Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YP
Threat Protection Architect at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
A good user interface, helpful support, and it is quite scalable

• "What I like best about this product is the interface."
  • "I think that the main interface should integrate better with non-standard applications and clients, to connect with other systems."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for password cycling.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about this product is the interface.

What needs improvement?

I think that the main interface should integrate better with non-standard applications and clients, to connect with other systems. This would help to create a safe connection with non-standard systems.

I would like the capability to assign rights directly to the target system. This is a different topic because, at this point, it only handles credentials. However, the goal is to be able to create the account and assign the correct access rights on an application or a system.

I have been working with Thycotic Secret Server for one year.

We have experienced no issues in terms of stability.

It is quite scalable. We are not a big company and we had no issues with scalability.

Technical support helps us regularly. We have not had any big issues, so overall, no problems.

We did not use another solution before this one. It was the first of this type.

I would say that the initial setup is complex because it most requires modifying the company, and it took two years to deploy. The issue in this case is not the product. Rather, it is more the company.

The pricing is standard in this business and we have no complaints about it.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend. My advice for anybody who is implementing it is to have full management support and to do good internal marketing so that the solution is accepted by everyone.

DR
Principal Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Helpful technical support with good automation and zero-trust PIN features

• "Technical support is pretty good."
  • "The initial setup and deployment can be cumbersome. It's not an easy process."

What is our primary use case?

One of our clients primarily uses it for automation capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The zero-trust PIN is a great feature of the solution.

Technical support is pretty good.

The ability to automate is a good selling feature.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and deployment can be cumbersome. It's not an easy process.

I've been dealing with the solution for about a year.

Technical support is okay. I've dealt with bad tech support services on other solutions, however, in the case of this product, nothing jumps out at me as being a negative experience. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide to us.

I also have experience with CyberArk.

The difference between the two is basically that CyberArk gives you a bit more value for money.

I have found the initial setup to be difficult. It's not exactly simple or straightforward. It's a downside to the solution.

I can't speak to how much the solution costs a month. I don't deal with the licensing side of things.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller.

We tend to deal with the most up-to-date versions of the solution.

When making a decision, it often comes down to Thycotic and CyberArk. What we found is that CyberArk, for the features and the cost, gives you a little bit more value and saves you money in the process. Between CyberArk and Thycotic, Thycotic is somewhat easier to deploy and get up and running. Essentially, with Thycotic, you get the value quicker.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

JZ
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good surveillance and easy to set up, but needs a better commercial model and better pricing

What is most valuable?

The surveillance is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The discovery of accounts could be improved. It is also very expensive, and its price should be lower. I'd prefer a better commercial model that includes partners and options for consulting around it. Where I've worked with my customers, we've only been able to use their professional services, and that has been a risk and constraint.

I have been working with their products for 10 years.

Their technical support is all right. Some of the open-source stuff isn't supported properly, but generally, it is pretty good.

Its initial setup is easy.

What's my experience with pricing,

What is most valuable?

The surveillance is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with their products for 10 years.

Its initial setup is easy.

It is very expensive, and its price should be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Thycotic Secret Server a six out of 10.

PN
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Customizations are easy and it is computer confident

What is most valuable?

Being an administrator, I find it really easy and computer confident, and our experience with the product is really good. Additionally, customizations are easy.

What needs improvement?

There are some things that I know are really important to include like A/B version features that are available in Windows. I would say that they should be included in the road map.

I have been doing the POC on Thycotic for a few months.

I would say that this solution is stable.

Thycotic Secret Server is easy to implement.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Thycotic. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this product an 8.

Which

What is most valuable?

Additionally, customizations are easy.

What needs improvement?

I have been doing the POC on Thycotic for a few months.

I would say that this solution is stable.

Thycotic Secret Server is easy to implement.

What other advice do I have?

Download our free Thycotic Secret Server Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.