Thycotic Secret Server Overview

Thycotic Secret Server is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Password Managers. It is most often compared to CyberArk Privileged Access Manager: Thycotic Secret Server vs CyberArk Privileged Access Manager

What is Thycotic Secret Server?

Secret Server is a fully-featured Privileged Access Management (PAM) solution available both on premise and in the cloud. It empowers security and IT ops teams to secure and manage all types of privileged accounts and offers the fastest time to value of any PAM solution.

Thycotic Secret Server Buyer's Guide

Download the Thycotic Secret Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Thycotic Secret Server Customers

Secure-24, University of San Diego, International Rescue Committee, San Francisco Ballet, Perkins Coie, University of San Diego, D.S.S. Limited, Turbo's Hoet, Eclipse Computing, Cathay Bank, Stellarise, J&R Consulting

Thycotic Secret Server Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AD
Manager at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to search for service accounts across the network

What is our primary use case?

It's a password vault.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the random changing of passwords."
  • "We could definitely use some help with API tokenization. If we had a way to store tokens that would be fabulous."

What other advice do I have?

Just get it. It works well. I would rate this solution at nine out of ten. It does everything we knew it would, but it would be nice if they added some additional features.
SS
Product Security Engineer
Enables us to centrally manage and distribute secrets, but usability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing secrets and distributing them to our users.

• "Provides us with the ability to control access [to secrets] by groups."
  • "One of the things that we want is to be able to do some of the management of it using APIs."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest challenge with this solution is the usability. You should have your end customers try out different things, find out which product they prefer, and pick that. I would rate the product at seven out of ten. The usability is very bad which makes it difficult for end-users to use. They complain about putting secrets in it.
Learn what your peers think about Thycotic Secret Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NF
IT Strategy Consultant with 201-500 employees
Password storage enables us to give some groups access to different kinds of databases

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for password management.

• "The ability to give some groups access to different kind of databases with the storage of a password is the most valuable feature."
  • "I don't know what kind of a cryptographic it uses to encrypt the password but it should be one of the stronger ones. Some of the cryptos have been accessed by hackers."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It provides most of the features we need. I like the way that you could easily administer who would get access to what kind of a database.
SE & Manager Of Internal Systems at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Discovering passwords which are expired or changed and enforcing password policy compliance.

What other advice do I have?

I’d recommend you engage a reseller to discuss your requirements, and download the free trial version.
Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It offers password checkout and the ability to change a password after checkin.

What is most valuable?

Password checkout and the ability to change a password after checkin are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

Removes the risk of passwords sitting in files on admins' desktops Also provides a secure portal to share passwords with the team

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to create service accounts and set generated AD passwords from the web interface.

I have used it for 3+ years.

I have not encountered any deployment issues.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any…
Senior Information Security Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has helped us eliminate many of the manual processes that we performed regarding password changing and rotation, as well as the data we stored in Microsoft Excel.
I have been a proud Thycotic Secret Server customer since 2008.  Back in those days, my organization used Secret Server as a secure vault to store all of our highly privileged accounts and their passwords.  I manage our Secret Server environment, and over the years we have heavily utilized this product across our entire University to harden our security posture and meet compliance requirements.  Secret Server has helped us eliminate many of the manual processes that we performed regarding password changing and rotation, as well as the data we stored in Microsoft Excel.  We love the fact that the product discovers privileged accounts across our infrastructure so that we can securely store and manage them appropriately, as well as rotate their passwords to meet our password policy…
Security Operations at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Installation and setup is straightforward. Custom reporting and scheduling is available.

What other advice do I have?

Thycotic Secret Server is an excellent product; we're very happy with it!
Download our free Thycotic Secret Server Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.