TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM is the #25 ranked solution in our list of BPM Software. It is most often compared to Camunda Platform: TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM vs Camunda Platform

What is TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM?
TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM is used to develop, deploy, execute and manage Business Process Management centric applications. Use TIBCO Business Studio BPM Edition in conjunction with ActiveMatrix BPM to model business processes. It helps to encompass applications that primarily automate both: business processes (sequences of tasks) to be executed by human users, and technical processes (the flow of data) to be executed by enterprise applications.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM Customers

ADIS, Citi, Bank of Montreal, First Citizens Bank

TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM pricing:
  • "There are some discussions about perpetual licenses and conversions, but I'm not much familiar with them."

TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM Reviews

RO
Integration Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good integration capabilities and workflow features but is extremely expensive

• "The scheduling and the calendar are very useful."
  • "Technical support needs to be streamlined."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for workflows. For example, we are dealing with a telecommunication company. We have a client who is interested in an installation site, the MPLS or the internet connection. Usually, there's a process where we have a project manager who will manage that project. He will assign an engineer. The engineer will go to the site to set up the installation. After that, he'll come to those who are responsible for assigning IPs, and he will assign IPs. After that, we do the project closure. Basically, the product is for the various flows just for the custom installations. Usually, a number of activities or a number of workflows are involved.

What is most valuable?

The workflow feature works very well. We also get very good notifications. At each and every stage, at least there are notifications on where the installation process is.

The integrations are very good. The BPM is still using the ESB to integrate other systems.

The scheduling and the calendar are very useful. For example, you can say to the system, for example, that today is Sunday so don't count SLAs and all that.

In the onboarding, they integrate into our internal active directory.

We don't have any problems with the BPM. It works.

What needs improvement?

Maybe they can also consider going to the cloud as most of our applications are dealing with the cloud. I know they have a cloud version, however, we've not tested it. Internally, we don't have the technical capabilities to do anything.

Ideally, if it can be just simplified so that even our developers can work on some of the workflow scenarios, that would be ideal. Currently, if we have anything that we need even to add, even a workflow, we have to go back to TIBCO. If they can just give us the software, then maybe with a little bit of training, we would be able to work workflows. As it is right now, we have to rely on TIBCO or the service integrators. They really need to reduce the complexity of BPM.

The initial setup is complex.

Technical support needs to be streamlined.

The cost of the product is far too high.

I've used the solution since 20218. It's been a few years now.

Stability is an issue on BPM. For example, I can send a workflow from myself to someone else. On my side, I can see that I've sent the workflow to the person. On their queue, however, you don't see it. There are those kinds of issues that we seem to get. That's why I would say that it's not stable. There are a number of issues. One day, users are complaining they can't log in as well. Stability I would rate it at a six out of ten.

In terms of support, sometimes we get the engineers that are assigned. They don't understand the internal workings of BPM. The other issue is that sometimes they are so specific. For example, one engineer is only specific to a certain component. If there's another component where they suspect the problem is, then they have to refer you to another engineer. It would be more efficient and much better if the engineers could just have at least a holistic view of the internal workings of BPM.

Right now, with every scenario, you raise a ticket maybe to BPM, they will assign you an engineer and that engineer will assign you an infrastructure engineer, and then the infrastructure engineer might take you back to application engineer. Then that engineer will pass you off to the support engineer who will say it's not a support issue. It's just a lot of getting passed around.

The initial setup is complex. We were just upgrading from one version to another and it took us almost two days just to do the upgrade. If just upgrading components takes two days, then to me it's a bit complex. Some of these upgrades should take one or two hours.

Now, we are doing them overnight or maybe over two nights just for the upgrades. I don't know the inside workings of BPM, however, it looks or sounds complex.

The solution is crazy-expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It's hard to rate, as I don't have something similar to compare it to, however, based on my experience, I would rate it at a seven out of ten.

I won't recommend any TBCO products based on their prices alone. Their prices are just crazy. Right now, I'm just reviewing some of the open-source software. There's one called jBPM that's an open-source BPM, that also has an enterprise version. To me, the only thing that I don't like about TIBCO products is their ridiculous pricing.

Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Highly stable in production and easy to use for testing and deployment

• "It is the best product because of its stability. ActiveMatrix 5.x is highly stable in production, and the downtime is very low. I have worked on a lot of service projects, and the engine is very stable, robust, and scalable. The development and change requests can be pushed quickly, and the mapper activity and SSLT kind of features are also good. It is easy to do changes, testing, and deployment. Its deployment is very easy, and we can automate a lot of scripts for our on-premises solution. I work for an investment bank, and we have automated a lot of processes for our customers. Previously, we used to develop scripts and tools. With version 6.x, everything is moved to Maven and other things. Environment handling is done mostly through DevOps tools. As compared to Mulesoft, the deployment and configuration are very easy in TIBCO."
  • "ActiveMatrix is in the middle field. MuleDB is more on the engineering side with Java and other things. SnapLogic is there are on the higher side with very low coding. TIBCO stays in the middle like IBM or Oracle. TIBCO can move towards IBM's way of doing. IBM has a big market and many varieties of products and good integration, which TIBCO doesn't have. It can have better integration. TIBCO's transition to the cloud is a little slow. As compared to Dell, Boomi, and Mulesoft. TIBCO took the steps a little later. TIBCO's ID was far better and easier to work with previously. TIBCO's 5.x ID was very good, and the development environment and the transition were easy. Version 6.5 onwards, it is a stable product, but it would be good if they can do something similar to version 5.4 with version 6. They should concentrate on this API market. It will give them the strength and the ability to grab the market back."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for on-premises and cloud integrations. It has a number of products for on-premises integration.

What is most valuable?

It is the best product because of its stability. ActiveMatrix 5.x is highly stable in production, and the downtime is very low. I have worked on a lot of service projects, and the engine is very stable, robust, and scalable. The development and change requests can be pushed quickly, and the mapper activity and SSLT kind of features are also good. It is easy to do changes, testing, and deployment.

Its deployment is very easy, and we can automate a lot of scripts for our on-premises solution. I work for an investment bank, and we have automated a lot of processes for our customers. Previously, we used to develop scripts and tools. With version 6.x, everything is moved to Maven and other things. Environment handling is done mostly through DevOps tools. As compared to Mulesoft, the deployment and configuration are very easy in TIBCO.

What needs improvement?

ActiveMatrix is in the middle field. MuleDB is more on the engineering side with Java and other things. SnapLogic is there are on the higher side with very low coding. TIBCO stays in the middle like IBM or Oracle. TIBCO can move towards IBM's way of doing. IBM has a big market and many varieties of products and good integration, which TIBCO doesn't have. It can have better integration.

TIBCO's transition to the cloud is a little slow. As compared to Dell, Boomi, and Mulesoft. TIBCO took the steps a little later.

TIBCO's ID was far better and easier to work with previously. TIBCO's 5.x ID was very good, and the development environment and the transition were easy. Version 6.5 onwards, it is a stable product, but it would be good if they can do something similar to version 5.4 with version 6. They should concentrate on this API market. It will give them the strength and the ability to grab the market back.

I have been using ActiveMatrix since 2006.

It is very stable. It has very low downtime.

It is highly scalable on-premises. In my project, we have about 30 users. For the maintenance, we have about four or five people.

Fortunately, we have employees who are familiar with the product. It is not open source. Therefore, when you get a bug, you don't get much information on the internet to troubleshoot problems, like in Java, Mulesoft.

Its deployment is very easy. It takes one to two hours for deploying the product. You only need to know the order. The configuration environment and everything else is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a highly stable, robust, scalable solution.

I would rate TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM an eight out of ten.