TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools. It is most often compared to Mule ESB: TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus vs Mule ESB

What is TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus?
TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is a platform for developing, deploying, and managing applications that conform to a service-oriented architecture. TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is a lightweight enterprise service bus that helps organizations bridge the mediation gap in their SOA infrastructure. It reduces complexity and increases flexibility and reuse by replacing hard-coded service dependencies with configuration, and can be used to onboard services from a third-party environment or a TIBCO-based infrastructure. TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus provides service mediation capabilities to the TIBCO ActiveMatrix SOA platform. Service mediation allows you to adapt to changing requirements for developing mediation flows.

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is also known as ActiveMatrix Service Bus.

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Buyer's Guide

Download the TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Customers
Colonial Life, CTBC Bank, New World Mobility, QUALCOMM, Swisscom Mobile, T-Mobile USA, Tata Teleservices, Telecom Italia
TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus pricing:
  • "The biggest issue disadvantage of TIBCO is that it is expensive."
  • "The price is on the higher side. For the same price, if I go to the previous version, I would have got a lot more capacity with similar kinds of features."
  • "Its licensing cost is considerably high as compared to other ESBs."

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Reviews

MarioGuerrero
CEO - Director General at Megapractical
Easy to use, performs well, and it's the best platform in terms of speed

• "TIBCO has the platform in terms of speed and ease of use."
  • "In the next release, there should be improvements made to the API manager."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to provide our customers with a faster way to get their data and to connect information between different environments, especially with corporate companies that have different branches in different parts of the country. They need to receive and share information as quickly as possible between the different environments.

This is the main way that we identify, in a fast way, to connect with different platforms.

It's a platform of interconnectivity that we provide to our clients with this solution.

We are specialized in installation and deployment using this platform. We use it to move the transformation of the companies to the new mature service-oriented architecture.

What is most valuable?

TIBCO has the best platform in terms of speed and ease of use.

The brand is very important, it has a percentage of the research and development of the product. They look at how you can get to obtain the best features from the platform. Most other platforms offer the same features in the same way and the same kind of platform, but with TIBCO, you get answers in milliseconds.

If you have high traffic transaction volume and you need more speed, more governance in your services, then you need to use TIBCO. This is the value that TIBCO offers and how it differs from others.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas that this solution could be improved is to provide the vendors with updated information. We don't always know what is going on with the development of the solution.

In the next release, there should be improvements made to the API manager. Other platforms are better.

I have been using this solution for twelve years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

I don't work directly with technical support, but my team does. To my knowledge, they have not had any issues with technical support.

The technical support is good and they are knowledgable.

The initial setup is complex. Not all companies are ready to move forward with this platform because they don't understand how it works, what the real benefits are, and how to take advantage of this platform to obtain the best results for your company.

Before we can begin, we must understand the vision of the business. When you have that understanding then the setup is easy, but if you don't then it's complex.

It depends on the company, but it can take approximately six months to deploy this solution.

We consider the preparation of the environment, the installation, the testing, then the training. Not user training, but training the technical team in the companies to manage the platform inside the environment.

Then we deploy the solution together. We apply one life cycle, then certify it by CMMI.

Part of the sales process includes deployment and implementation. If this solution is not implemented correctly it is not the fault of the solution but with the vendor and not providing the necessary training.

With this platform, the return of investment would be less than one year.

There are many ways to measure the return of investment, it is not always just about how much money they will make, there are other factors.

ROI can be measured in terms of effort, social benefits, political initiatives, and many other things.

• If you reduce the social impact you can save money.
  • If you reduce the way that people work or the way the citizens work with the government, you will save money.
  • When you control things, there are benefits to that.

We consult with TIBCO to understand the market and try to get the customer's different levels of pricing.

Latin America has many vendors working with the same type of solutions that are open source.

Companies feel that by it being open source it could be the key to getting a free platform, but that is not the case. They would prefer to purchase a solution like TIBCO but don't have the budget.

What other advice do I have?

In Latin America, there is a lot of immature environments in terms of connectivity or service-oriented architecture.

The wave of technology or the wave of the transformation came from the US and other first-rate countries. Latin Americans adopted technologies. It's not easy to deploy this type of technology quickly.

The first challenge is with the consultant and in making the sale by explaining what exactly is the value that you would be getting by staying in a real service-oriented architectural environment.

The second is that the corporate companies grow in a Catharsis because the growth of the companies is not well planned.

The best way to fix the problem that they have is to buy a platform to connect all of the different platforms that they have acquired in the past.

It's not enough to purchase the right product. You have to hire the right team to help you deploy this solution. Most of the vendors forget the customer, but the most important thing is to have the customer understand the solution that they will be working with.

The founder of TIBCO is an entrepreneur who always invests money to improve the product. He invests money to improve most of the products that he has. You will always be a leader in this area if you don't lose the philosophy of investing to improve.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

RO
Integration Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to learn and easy to deploy, but the support and and the pricing need improvement

• "The technology is really easy to learn."
  • "Issues with the support, the fees, and the termination of the professional services are reasons we are looking for other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to integrate the various systems that we have. For example, from CRM to ERP, or from ERP to CRM, or to our billing system, or from CRM to our payment gateway.

We integrate the different applications, both northbound and southbound. If CRM wants to connect to a billing system, they don't go directly to the billing system, they come through ESB. If the CRM wants to connect to ERP, they don't go to directly ERP, they come via ESB.

ESB is like the central path that connects the various systems, both northbound and southbound.

What is most valuable?

The technology is really easy to learn. They use low code/no-code technology, which does not have a steep learning curve.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the cloud, I don't feel that TIBCO is mature enough. The cloud version was only released two years ago.

Sometimes there are issues with the loads. If the load is too high or if you have high traffic, you will experience some issues with the throughput.

They need improvements with the cloud version and the handling of the traffic.

Initially, we had the professional services with the TIBCO because we are in Africa, but unfortunately, they terminated it because they sold their business in Africa to another service integrator who didn't really understand the product. This service integrator was not as experienced using TIBCO, or maybe just assisting us with the TIBCO issues that we were having.

I joined the company six years ago but have been using TIBCO for approximately eight years.

We have been working with TIBCO for more than five years and know how to work our way around it. We are comfortable working with it, apart from the throughput or if the traffic is high.

We are sure to find a few problems, but at least for right now, because we have been working with it for a long time, and now we know how to navigate our way around the issues that we get, it is stable enough.

The on-premises version is not as scalable. It is not the best, it needs improvement. We are experimenting with the cloud version right now.

It's a development tool. We have approximately 40 developers who use this solution.

We have had one or two issues with technical support. There seemed to be an issue with a ticket that we raised because it took almost four weeks to get it resolved.

Maybe the person who was supporting us didn't really understand the product or they didn't know what they were doing.

There have been a few scenarios where the support has been pathetic.

We have several TIBCO products including ESB, BPM (Business Process Management), and Spotfire for reporting.

My role is in integration and I typically use ESB.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy.

The deployment is not complicated. It is very simple to deploy.

The biggest issue disadvantage of TIBCO is that it is expensive.

It's just too costly.

We are looking for alternatives. We are looking to get away from TIBCO and looking for other integration tools.

There may be some services with TIBCO that we will continue to use, but any integrations going forward will be with another solution.

We are researching WSO2, Red Hat Fuse, and any other Mule software, or any other integration tools that can be used.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AK
Senior Manager Enterprise Integration and Order Management at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Excellent for standardizing integration layers and very stable with good technical support

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "If TIBCO could be able to sort the size of their base image in the Container edition, it would be really marvelous. Right now it's around 299 MB. We'd really want it to reduce to a few MBs."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a middleware for exposing APIs so that one app can talk to another in separate application via APIs.

What is most valuable?

There are so many valuable features on the solution, there's almost too many to list.

What needs improvement?

If TIBCO could be able to sort the size of their base image in the Container edition, it would be really marvelous. Right now it's around 299 MB. We'd really want it to reduce to a few MBs.

TIBCO needs to improve its monitoring capability to be able to make use of alerts and to be able to have an alert threshold. For example, if there is an API, if it encounters a given number of errors or long response times, it could send an alert to a configured list of users either via email or SMS.

The solution needs to have cloud integration. There should be continuous integration and continuous deployment of new features.

We've been using the solution for six years.

The solution is very stable.

I believe the solution is scalable. With the Container edition, even with the non-containerized edition, depending on your architecture, and how you write your code, it's very scalable.

Currently, we have about 10 users as a support team. TIBCO is an integration layer, not really a place where users can log on and do transactions or approvals. It's not the type of technology that has a large user base.

We do plan to increase usage in the future. There are so many new integration use cases that we want to use on TIBCO.

The technical support offered by TIBCO is perfect. I don't think we have faced any issues when dealing with TIBCO support. Each time we raise a ticket and put the correct classification, they normally respond by SMS. We've been satisfied with the level of support we've received.

In the past, we tried using Oracle OSB. I don't think we'll go back and use them again. TIBCO has proven to be far superior. We didn't switch to TIBCO. What we wanted to do is to explore what Oracle had to offer. We later realized that the capabilities that TIBCO had were far, far superior to what Oracle was able to offer so we chose TIBCO instead.

The initial setup was very straightforward. There was no complexity in the implementation. Deployment takes a maximum of one to two weeks.

The last time we implemented the solution, we were installing certain components and adding in hot fixes.

What other advice do I have?

We're users as well as consultants of the product.

Although we currently use the on-premises deployment model, right now, we are also exploring the possibility of having the service deployed in some hybrid form of the cloud. That's still on a theoretical basis. Nothing substantive has been done yet.

I would recommend the solution to any other organization which is interested in standardizing their integration layer. To me, this solution has really served the requirements we had with respect to enterprise integration.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Mir Abul Ula Ali Khan
Middleware and Enterprise Integration Head at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Build and easily deploy APIs within a few hours

• "The most attractive and beneficial feature is the ease of development."
  • "The stability of their latest version is not on par with their classic version 5.X."

What is our primary use case?

I started with IntegrationManager, and I've seen TIBCO ESB grow from nothing to one of the top leaders in the ESB industry. I head the whole ESB team, the pool of developers, production, support team, enhancement whole all use TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus.

What is most valuable?

The most attractive and beneficial feature is the ease of development. They have an excellent GUI that helps developers build any APIs in a few hours. No matter how complex they are, but they can be done in a few clicks. It saves a lot of time and increases the productivity and efficiency of the whole development process.

What needs improvement?

When I compare the new version 6.X with the classic 5.X, they are not giving the same kind of look and feel or the ease of use which we are used to. They are improving the DevOps and other new things we have now, but they still have to improve and mature.

When someone is planning to move away from their version 5.X to the latest one, they will have both options. Either upgrade to the latest version of TIBCO or go towards some other vendor. That's where they are not giving any competitive advantage or anything with the latest versions.

I think they need to improve. They need to really show the consumers what they'll get if they upgrade to the latest version.

I have been using TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus for almost 15 years.

The stability of their latest version is not on par with their classic version 5.X. Their latest version 6.X needs to be more stable.

They set the standards for themselves with their previous versions, but now I see the quality of the whole product has gone down a little bit.

Fault tolerance, scalability, and durability have been maintained.

Their support teams aren't that great for the latest version.

The quality is good, but the price is on the higher side. The previous version and their pricing models were much more cost-effective. But maybe from their point of view, they have made changes. They have brought in containers and all the latest DevOps stuff, which is not very pocket friendly for their consumers.

For the same price, if I go for the previous version, I would have got a lot more capacity with similar features, but now they have changed their whole design.

I've been doing this kind of POCs and evaluating different ESB software from different vendors, including MuleSoft, WSO2, or IBM. I have to say honestly, TIBCO is still the best when comparing the features of all these things.

What other advice do I have?

ESB is the middle component that connects to multiple systems. ESB works hand-in-hand with the API gateway, with your data leak projects, or with your streaming. If your requirement is purely from an ESB perspective, I think TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is still the market leader, and you can go with them.

I would giveTIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus an eight out of ten.

Prasanna Badam
Senior Manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to develop and has a wide range of features and high performance, but needs better pricing and better stability for our version

• "It is easy to develop. It has a very wide range of features. The older versions are very stable, and there are no issues with the product."
  • "The intermediate version that we are using has stability issues. These stability issues should be resolved, but it seems like TIBCO is not focusing on resolving these issues. The resolution timelines are quite high even for high-priority incidents. Its price should be lower. Its licensing cost is considerably high as compared to other ESBs."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for integrating our enterprise applications and core systems with the front-end systems.

The version that we are using is neither the latest one nor the oldest one. It can be deployed on the cloud and on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to develop. It has a very wide range of features.

The older versions are very stable, and there are no issues with the product.

What needs improvement?

The intermediate version that we are using has stability issues. These stability issues should be resolved, but it seems like TIBCO is not focusing on resolving these issues. The resolution timelines are quite high even for high-priority incidents.

Its price should be lower. Its licensing cost is considerably high as compared to other ESBs.

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years. In our organization, we have been using it for more than 15 years.

The intermediate version that we are using has stability issues. Its older versions are very stable. I have not used its latest Container Edition, which probably is also stable.

It is scalable. This is a back-end product, and almost all front-end applications are using this solution.

Their support is excellent, but currently, their resolution timelines are quite high for stability-related issues that we are facing.

Its installation is straightforward. It takes around two hours in our lower environment where we don't have high availability. It takes around half a day in our production environment where we have high availability.

We installed it ourselves. You just need basic computer knowledge to be able to deploy it. For development, you need some skilled people, but deployment is quite easy. We have a team of 15 people for deployment and maintenance.

Its licensing cost is considerably high as compared to other ESBs.

We will have to migrate to Container Edition, which is the latest version, but it is not an easy migration. It is almost like redeveloping, and it requires specific changes. Our strategy team is exploring other ESBs. We will be deciding this within a month because we need to pay for the license.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution, but it also depends on a specific use case. If you can afford it and you are looking for a high-standard and high-performing solution for your use case with excellent support, you should go for it.

I would rate TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus a seven out of ten.

HM
Technical Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A service-oriented platform that is both stable and scalable

• "The most valuable feature is that it is a service-oriented architecture, SOA-based."
  • "Our version does not have cloud capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

There are a number of applications including use cases from the health industry, including health human services.

How has it helped my organization?

We're making good use of it, although our version is an outdated platform that needs to be replaced in order to be ready for the future. For example, we will be moving applications to micro-services and migrating components to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Our version does not have cloud capabilities.

Containerization is not supported.

The is no support for Agile development.

We have been using this product for 12 years.

This product is very stable.

Scalability is fine, although our current version is just not able to move us to the future.

I was not part of the original implementation, although I'm sure that it was complex.

We have been working with this version of TIBCO for at least the past 12 years. We are now looking at replacing it with either a new version or a new solution from a different vendor.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good platform but in our case, it needs to be updated. The future is on the cloud, the future is containerized, the future is Agile development, and our version is incapable of any of this.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.