TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools. It is most often compared to Mule ESB: TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus vs Mule ESB

What is TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus?
TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is a platform for developing, deploying, and managing applications that conform to a service-oriented architecture. TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is a lightweight enterprise service bus that helps organizations bridge the mediation gap in their SOA infrastructure. It reduces complexity and increases flexibility and reuse by replacing hard-coded service dependencies with configuration, and can be used to onboard services from a third-party environment or a TIBCO-based infrastructure. TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus provides service mediation capabilities to the TIBCO ActiveMatrix SOA platform. Service mediation allows you to adapt to changing requirements for developing mediation flows.

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is also known as ActiveMatrix Service Bus.

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Buyer's Guide

Download the TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Customers
Colonial Life, CTBC Bank, New World Mobility, QUALCOMM, Swisscom Mobile, T-Mobile USA, Tata Teleservices, Telecom Italia
TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Video

Archived TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Reviews (more than two years old)

Vijay Bablani
Integration Architect at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
A high-performance solution that is user-friendly, reliable, and easy to maintain

• "The most valuable features are the monitoring, ease of use, and easy to understand development GUI."
  • "Migration to cloud solutions or products should be made convenient, transparent, and easily understandable."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for:

• Enterprise Service Bus
  • Enterprise Application Integration
  • Application to Application Integration
  • Business to Business Integration
  • Cloud Integration
  • Service-Oriented Architecture
  • API
  • SOAP web services
  • JMS messaging
  • Adapters (SAP, ADB, File, etc.) related implementations and integrations

How has it helped my organization?

This is a user-friendly product stack and provides you with a reliable, robust, and high-performance Integration solution. If the solution is designed and implemented well, there are minimal chances of integration failures due to ESB. Developing interfaces with Tibco BW is fairly easy and straightforward. Monitoring using Tibco Hawk and MAR features are also effective.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the monitoring, ease of use, and easy to understand development GUI.

It is a straightforward installation and creating an environment is easy.

The interfaces are stable and reliable. Tibco EMS is one of the most reliable and robust messaging products in the market.

There are a lot of options to enable high-security needs.

This solution needs low maintenance and has highly efficient ways to address planed downtimes such as patching activities, has zero integration downtime, and avoids any adverse effects on Interfaces.

What needs improvement?

The transparency, complexity, and stability of some products, such as Tibco BC, need to be improved.

Migration from BW 5.x to 6.x still has issues. Migration to cloud solutions or products should be made convenient, transparent, and easily understandable.

Improvements can be made in the product support area. At times, effective and accurate solutions were not provided.

We have been using this solution for twelve years.

This solution is one of the most stable in its league. Lots of customers have switched to the Tibco stack because of stability. Good designing, architecting, guidelines and standards play a large role in having a stable and robust Integration environment.

This solution is highly scalable both ways (Scale Up or Out), especially now that the container and cloud edition gives a tremendous edge from a scalability standpoint

There is definitely some scope of improvement needed in the vendor/technical support area.

There have been customers which have moved from other products to Tibco stack, because of stability and performance issues.

This solution has a fairly straightforward initial setup.

We integrated this solution with support from the vendor team.

Our ROI for this solution is good.

The licensing cost is a challenge for quite a few customers.

Tibco Products may have a high initial setup cost in terms of pricing and licensing. However, it depends on what agreements are made with the Tibco vendor, what kind of setup is being done, and how efficiently the architecture is laid out.

What other advice do I have?

Featurewise, overall, the Tibco product stack addresses most needs.

Venkat Ramanan
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enables users to create workflows and has good performance and scalability

• "The stability of this solution is excellent."
  • "In the configuration, where we need to customize, it takes more time that we expect it to, ideally."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to provide a BPM for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been working a lot on TIBCO products, including this solution. We have a team of thirty to forty people working exclusively on TIBCO and have a dedicated unit with revenue targets set specifically for this.

This solution, as well as other products from TIBCO, are helping us grow.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its flexibility, where it allows the users to create workflows. In terms of scalability and performance, it is also very good.

What needs improvement?

In the configuration, where we need to customize, it takes more time that we expect it to, ideally. We have found workarounds for some of the issues, and we have given feedback on these things directly to TIBCO.

The integration can be more user-friendly.

Four years.

The stability of this solution is excellent. I would give it nine out of ten.

The scalability is very good. That is one of the strongest points of TIBCO and I'm quite satisfied with the scalability.

We have approximately fifteen customers, but of course, that would mean many more users. We focus on TIBCO, but there is a lot of competition from the other product vendors. This makes it a challenge to increase our usage of this solution. That said, we have plans to reach out to a lot more new customers.

As TIBCO releases products or a new version of a product, we start using them as we go around to some of the customers that we are involved with.

The technical support for this solution is very good. Whenever we are stuck with any kind of technical issue, we reach out to TIBCO and get very good technical support from them.

The TIBCO solution is not the only one that has been used in my organization, but this is the only one that I have worked on personally.

The initial setup is literally straightforward and we did not have too many issues with it.

The typical implementation strategy depends on the volume of the business, the number of transactions, and the size of the customer. Typically it takes six to eight months for us to complete an end-to-end implementation cycle for a medium to large sized customer.

In the typical deployment team, we need ten to twelve people for each customer. Some of the staff are developers, but you need a core architect. It is the role of the architect to visualize the solution and create the architecture. Once we have the architect and a couple of leads, the rest are the developers who can do the actual implementation. You also need an administrator, so there are four different roles involved in the implementation.

We are the ones who handle the integration of this product, and we don't normally have to depend on anybody else. Sometimes, TIBCO themselves will assist us, but otherwise, we do it ourselves and don't usually have any issues.

I would consider all of the revenue that we get from TIBCO to be ROI. We do invest resources to get them trained on various TIBCO products. At the end of the day, we are using them to implement solutions for different customers, and we get that revenue. It is approximately three to four million per year.

When it comes to cost, TIBCO is much more competitive than a product like Pega.

Our licensing cost is in the area of half a million, annually. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

From a BPM perspective, we did evaluate other products. Part of our evaluation included the figures for pricing, and other solutions are a lot more expensive. This is one of the reasons that our customers are reluctant to go with Pega.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to evaluate all of the competing products, which is something that we can help with. There should always be a good rationale behind the choice for a particular product.