TIBCO BusinessWorks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO BusinessWorks is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Mule Anypoint Platform: TIBCO BusinessWorks vs Mule Anypoint Platform

What is TIBCO BusinessWorks?
TIBCO BusinessWorks allows to connect applications, whether on-premises or in the cloud, providing proven reliability and scalability, out-of-the-box. With a drag-and-drop graphical development environment, TIBCO BusinessWorks eliminates the pain and cost of point-to-point application integration, connecting and unifying business processes across applications, data sources, and APIs, with access to real-time data across all your platforms.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

TIBCO BusinessWorks Customers

Euler Hermes, QSuper, Scandinavian Airlines

TIBCO BusinessWorks Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TIBCO BusinessWorks pricing:
  • "It is a bit expensive for medium-sized companies. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The existing licensing will not work because the product platform itself is different."
  • "My understanding is that the licensing is very costly."
  • "Its price policy has changed quite a lot in the last two years. It was extremely expensive previously. Nowadays, you can buy a license for BusinessWorks for €2000. Looking at what you get in return in terms of support, TIBCO community, and stability, it is fairly reasonable. It is not too expensive."

TIBCO BusinessWorks Reviews

NB
GM - Enterprise Application Integration at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and has connectors to many of the legacy systems, but needs better pricing and fixes for stability issues in the latest version

• "It is very stable. It is a market leader, and it has connectors to many of the legacy systems. It also has enterprise cloud connectors."
  • "Its price can be improved. For medium enterprises, it is a very expensive tool. In the market, you won't get many resources for this solution. You won't find many developers in the market very easily. The latest version of TIBCO (6.4 or 6.x) is not very stable. It has got many issues. We have raised this with TIBCO, and they are taking a lot of time to come up with a fix, which is making us move away from this product. Some of the performance-tuning aspects are also missing in version 6. They should provide performance-related fixes, which will be helpful for the customers. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The product has evolved, but it is very pricey. That's one of the challenges. They have provided all the features that are there in other products, but this is a platform upgrade. The platform has completely been changed from 5.x to 6.x, and we can't use the same environment. We can't run both versions on the same server as VM. The development environment is entirely different. In version 5.x, there was a proprietary designer. Now, it has common plug-ins developed on top of Eclipse."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for enterprise application integration. Basically, it does the integration between the applications. If you want to integrate multiple systems, it lets you expose an API. For a business application that is running on, for example, AS/400 or COBOL system, if you want to expose some information pertaining to the system, TIBCO would also play a role there. It will get the information from the latest system and just transform it into a simple format and give it as a response to the operating system. We are currently using versions 5.14 and 6.5.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable. It is a market leader, and it has connectors to many of the legacy systems. It also has enterprise cloud connectors.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. For medium enterprises, it is a very expensive tool. In the market, you won't get many resources for this solution. You won't find many developers in the market very easily.

The latest version of TIBCO (6.4 or 6.x) is not very stable. It has got many issues. We have raised this with TIBCO, and they are taking a lot of time to come up with a fix, which is making us move away from this product. Some of the performance-tuning aspects are also missing in version 6. They should provide performance-related fixes, which will be helpful for the customers.

If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The product has evolved, but it is very pricey. That's one of the challenges. They have provided all the features that are there in other products, but this is a platform upgrade. The platform has completely been changed from 5.x to 6.x, and we can't use the same environment. We can't run both versions on the same server as VM. The development environment is entirely different. In version 5.x, there was a proprietary designer. Now, it has common plug-ins developed on top of Eclipse.

I have been using this solution for almost 12 years.

In the latest version, we are frequently facing issues, but version 5.14 was very stable.

Scalability is a challenge. Because we are using on-prem and it is not on the cloud, autoscaling is not happening. Autoscaling is not possible because we need to increase the cores and RAM in our virtual machine and bring the services up.

TIBCO has another version that supports the cloud, but we are not using that particular version because it is very expensive. We have raised some of the questions with them, and we got a quote from the TIBCO team about the cost of the cloud-supported version, but we would also like to evaluate other cloud-supported tools that are available in the market, such as MuleSoft and Fiorano. We would like to compare these tools and see which one is feasible and for which one, people are available for development activities.

We are also using TIBCO Enterprise Messaging Service (EMS).

It is simple. The deployment hardly takes five to eight minutes. but the internal implementation can take time depending on the business scenario. We have around 800 plus APIs as of now.

We have vendors as well as an in-house team.

It requires basic maintenance. If APIs are taking more time, we need to fine-tune that. If they are not responding, we need to look into that. It depends on how it is implemented and deployed in the environment and whether we need to fine-tune the environment. We have a tool called TIBCO Hawk. It is a monitoring tool that gives us some kind of idea about whether the service is up or down. If it is down due to some reason, we can set a rule to autostart.

It is a bit expensive for medium-sized companies. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The existing licensing will not work because the product platform itself is different.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for big companies. It is a stable product.

I would rate TIBCO BusinessWorks a seven out of ten. They should fix the outstanding issues in version 6.

AK
Senior Manager Enterprise Integration and Order Management at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Ease-of-use and simplified deployment makes projects fluid

• "The most valuable part of the solution is the ease-of-use and ease of deployment."
  • "The container-based image is too large and this makes auto-scaling difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We using TIBCO BusinessWorks 5 and the container edition to work with integrations.

What is most valuable?

It is a cloud product. The most valuable part of the solution is the ease-of-use and deployment.

What needs improvement?

I think TIBCO needs to do a lot in terms of making it a first-class cloud solution. Because the issues that we are facing have to do with the container-based image. It is so big that it makes it very difficult to autoscale.

They need to do a few things. First, they need to make it smaller, and also to make it really a true cloud citizen. Because if you compare with other solutions, TIBCO is playing catch up in terms of cloud adoption.

I just received a new version the other day and they have included quite a lot of changes. It is impossible to tell what they have already taken care of. But I have experienced that there are some security vulnerabilities that they need to fix on the Docker image. I do not have the specific details because we have not totally isolated the problem, but there are some vulnerabilities and those are apparent in the TIBCO container edition.

I have been using TIBCO (The Information Bus Company) Businessworks for the last seven years.

I think TIBCO is relatively stable. There is not much downtime.

With TIBCO as a platform, scalability should not be an issue because it is cloud-based and should support autoscaling. You run the Docker image on Kubernetes or RedHat, then the BW (BusinessWorks) site is always relatively stable and also very easy to scale. It is scalable both vertically and horizontally.

As far as looking at it as scaling to a larger number of users, TIBCO is really not a GUI where a user will log in and perform tasks. It is middleware, where you use it to expose APIs and from there you have systems connecting to it. So it supports the operations of the entire enterprise. You can not really quantify the number of users because it is just a tool for exposing APIs.

I work with TIBCO technical support almost every week. We often have to raise a ticket. Not in a bad way. Most of the time it is just that we come to a new situation or requirement and it is better and quicker to have them assist us. It is not because of the stability of the solution. It is always a new challenge where we require their technical assistance.

The technical support team is usually very prompt. I think the kind of support we get from TIBCO is unparalleled.

There was a time we did a pilot with Oracle SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture). But in terms of a faster API tool, TIBCO is miles ahead of SOA in terms of functionality and setup. It is also better in terms of ease-of-use. Oracle is too complex. I find it unnecessarily complex and heavy.

I think the setups that I have done were mostly straightforward. They really did not require a lot of back and forth or complicated configurations. But in some scenarios, I have had complicated implementations. These are businesses with complex business requirements and that is when I need to contact the support at TIBCO.

The initial setup normally takes between a week to two weeks. This is for the deployment and then after that, we spend a little time doing some testing. It is really not an outrageous amount of time for deployment at all.

What other advice do I have?

The only caveat I would tell people considering this solution is that there are issues with the container-based image. It needs to be made much smaller. But as a tool to help you work doing what it was made to do, it is a very good product.

On the scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would you rate TIBCO as a nine-out-of-ten. If you see the amount of work that we do with it and the kind of revenue and customer experience because of the value that we get from TIBCO, the high rating is warranted.

Find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Denodo, Talend and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VD
Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Robust, easy for developers to work with, and the support is wonderful

• "The most important thing is that it is easy for developers to work with."
  • "The cost of this product is too expensive for smaller companies or those with a small number of integrations."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

We are using this in the banking industry and we have some APIs that are based on BusinessWorks.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing is that it is easy for developers to work with.

BusinessWorks is robust, flexible, and scalable.

What needs improvement?

There should be more support for cloud-based integration.

I have been using TIBCO BusinessWorks for more than five years.

This solution is very much stable and we plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable product and we have about 200 people who use it.

The support is wonderful and they respond on time.

Within the past year, I've explored MuleSoft. I haven't used it much but I know how it works. It has different advantages, and it's more API-based. It's a cloud-based solution.

The initial setup is very straightforward and it will not take more than a few minutes.

I deployed it myself. We have a 10 member deployment team that follows a sprint cycle. They include DevOps people, administrators, and others.

My understanding is that the licensing is very costly.

What other advice do I have?

For enterprise integration, this is definitely a very fitting product. I am talking about an organization that has a large number of integrations. However, for cases where there is a low number, this is definitely not a good choice because of the cost. I don't think that it's a good fit for the small customer.

The vendor has also come up with a cloud-based integration, which I think will ultimately be good but to my knowledge, at this time it hasn't picked up well yet.

I would rate this solution and eight out of ten.

Fabio Ferri
Managing Director at Catenate
Excellent technical support, good high availability and load balancing, good stability, and reasonable price

• "The high availability, tolerance, and load balancing features are top-notch. Its scalability features are also pretty cool."
  • "The Business Studio tool can be improved, which is the tool for designing the processes. Improving the Business Studio tool will make this solution more stable. It has a steep learning curve, and it is pretty tough to learn."

What is most valuable?

The high availability, tolerance, and load balancing features are top-notch. Its scalability features are also pretty cool.

What needs improvement?

The Business Studio tool can be improved, which is the tool for designing the processes. Improving the Business Studio tool will make this solution more stable.

I have been using this solution for 20 years.

It is stable and reliable.

Its scalability features are pretty cool. Our clients are enterprise companies.

Their technical support is really excellent.

It has medium complexity. It is not easy, and it is also not complex. It is not a one-day training. At the same time, as a developer, you don't need five years to become an expert.

It is usually deployed on-premise. Since they launched TIBCO Cloud Integration (TCI), cloud deployments are increasing.

Its price policy has changed quite a lot in the last two years. It was extremely expensive previously. Nowadays, you can buy a license for BusinessWorks for €2000. Looking at what you get in return in terms of support, TIBCO community, and stability, it is fairly reasonable. It is not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It is good in terms of high availability and scalability, but for every feature, there are some parameters that you need to use to tune the performance. You need some experience to know exactly what to put and where to put it. It is the same thing that you feel with MuleSoft Eco or WSO2 solution. If you want to tune the performance, you need to play around with different parameters and properties. It is a technical tool, and you need a technical person. I would advise others to just play around. You can download the software and play with it. As with every tool, the more you play, the more you learn.

There are some free solutions, such as WSO2, but if you compare it with these solutions, TIBCO has deployed more applications all over the world. BusinessWorks is more reliable, and its price is pretty fair.

I would rate TIBCO BusinessWorks an nine out of ten.

MahmoudAbu-Ghali
Solutions Development Senior Manager at Zain KSA
User-friendly and has good scalability options

• "It is user friendly, it's not complex."
  • "They don't support out of the box - you have to buy adapters or you have to have the technology."

What is our primary use case?

BusinessWorks is the regional and official software of the company.

What is most valuable?

In terms of valuable features, it has transformation, change, and other features.

It is user-friendly, it's not complex.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, for our requirements, it's good enough. Everything that we like to do, we can find it available on the platform.

Features that could be improved are its transformation matrix; the support for other communities. They don't support out of the box - you have to buy adapters or you have to have the technology.

I have been using TIBCO BusinessWorks for five years.

In terms of stability, we don't have any serious issues so far.

I think the scalability of TIBCO BusinessWorks is very good. We have about 90 million messages per day. They intend to increase usage because sometimes during peak hours all the resources are being used.

I'd describe technical support as average. Average to superior, because they are not excellent. Sometimes they take time to read the overall issue. Overall they are great.

The initial setup was not complex. It took around 2 to 3 weeks.

So far there have not been any other costs besides the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be that they don't go with TIBCO 5 but to go with TIBCO 6. TIBCO 6 is richer in terms of integration technology and has more modern architecture.

On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd give TIBCO BusinessWorks an 8.

AG
Head of IT Integration & Finance Transformation at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Completely reliable with good performance and stability

• "Good performance and reliability."
  • "Could be more user friendly in the development area."

What is our primary use case?

This product is useful for all aspects of corporate integration. Our front-end channel does not have B2B connections to the legacy systems; it's all done by TIBCO which presents services that do the communication between the different applications of our architecture enabling direct links to the different applications.

What is most valuable?

Performance and the stability are both good features. We are a bank and it's very important to be able to keep track of things. Reliability is key and that's what TIBCO provides.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a more user-friendly solution in terms of the development area.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We've had good experience with technical support.

I recall that the initial implementation was done by TIBCO and I imagine that it took no more than a couple of weeks. We tend to refer to TIBCO consultancy when necessary. We have around 40 users in the organization and maintenance is handled by a team of four engineers.

Our license is paid annually.

We initially had a homemade development of an enterprise bus, and we carried out an RFP at the time, but TIBCO was the winner due to its reliability, mainly in financial markets.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Ramesh Shan
Vice President at Citigroup
Offers many opportunities to do synchronous processing and has good time to market

• "The most valuable features are the stability and the time to market."
  • "There are not many plugins available to integrate the databases. We have to write it in Java and integrate it. The developers should have more knowledge. These are the three main aspects that they could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to trigger campaign management related marketing for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the stability and the time to market.

What needs improvement?

II have been using Tibco for twelve years.

There hasn't been a single day that we had any problems because of the product stability. It's awesome.

It is not scalable on its own.

We have around 300 to 400 users. They are infrastructure architects, admins, business users, etc.

Their technical support is very good.

The initial setup was very easy. The deployment doesn't take more than five minutes. It required around ten people for the deployment. We have a team of 100+ people for development.

There are no additional costs to the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Tibco Businessworks a nine out of ten.

There are a lot of opportunities to do synchronous processing.

In the next release, I would like for there to be more integration with big data ecosystems. There should be more plugins.