TIBCO BusinessWorks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO BusinessWorks is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Mule Anypoint Platform: TIBCO BusinessWorks vs Mule Anypoint Platform

What is TIBCO BusinessWorks?
TIBCO BusinessWorks allows to connect applications, whether on-premises or in the cloud, providing proven reliability and scalability, out-of-the-box. With a drag-and-drop graphical development environment, TIBCO BusinessWorks eliminates the pain and cost of point-to-point application integration, connecting and unifying business processes across applications, data sources, and APIs, with access to real-time data across all your platforms.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

TIBCO BusinessWorks Customers

Euler Hermes, QSuper, Scandinavian Airlines

TIBCO BusinessWorks Video

Archived TIBCO BusinessWorks Reviews (more than two years old)

AP
Technical Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution that's extremely reliable, but expensive

• "The solution is stable. We haven't had any serious technical issues."
  • "I'd like to see a new cloud approach in the next release. They need to work on integrations, stability and management issues on their cloud platform."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for various systems.

What is most valuable?

The reliability is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

What needs improvement?

One of the main handicaps on version 5 was its development environment. In comparison with other Eclipse-based products, it is not the easiest landing at the first stages of learning. For advanced developers, it results in a simple and direct environment. It also does not facilitate integration with other external tools (release management etc). All these issues are fixed on 6 versions, but we have not migrated at this time.

Pricing is not one of its strengths. Using Tibco BusinessWorks implies adopting a non-trivial set of products (Hawk, Rendez-vous, EMS in most cases), and previous cost models enabled scalability on installation and deployment. I think that current commercial management on the company is betting on promoting a strict model of licensing per product and instance that makes pricing a disadvantage in comparison with other platforms.

Another gap fixed on new releases is cloud approach. We are investing in cloud migration, and currently, all our installation of this product is on-premise. Tibco BW 6 lets you choose on-premise or cloud (Container Edition) deployment. I cannot evaluate it at this time, but this was a gap on the previous version.

I've been using the solution for six or seven years.

The solution is stable. We haven't had any serious technical issues.

The solution is scalable. We have 20 or 30 people on the solution and a team that handles deployment and maintenance.

Technical support is good.

We didn't previously use a different solution before implementing TIBCO.

The initial setup of the solution is easy. Deployment times vary. If you are setting up a straightforward deployment, you can do it in a few hours. If it's more complex, it could take a few months.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

Our investment is justified based on systems maintenance and migration. This product is our business backbone, so it must be flexible, reliable, and expose a low latency. It's not easy to calculate an ROI by itself, but on the whole of deployed projects.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution to others.

I would rate it eight out of ten. It's very reliable, but it's not fast when it comes to adopting new architecture. It's also slow when it comes to introducing product improvements.

Integration Architect / Specialist at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A very scalable solution but there is no support for non-technical users

• "The solution is very scalable. It can handle a lot. We have encryption plus integration servers running on that platform currently."
  • "Technical support is average. It's not the best."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is contrariwise integration.

What is most valuable?

Support is the most valuable feature of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs integration support.

Currently, it's all very technical and developer-driven. There is no support for a non-technical user to define the integration process. If there was support for integration for them, it would help them define the integration themselves.

More monitoring would also be useful in future releases.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The current version is stable, but now it's got no support for the newest version.

The solution is very scalable. It can handle a lot. We have encryption plus integration servers running on that platform currently.

Technical support is average. It's not the best.

I've personally used a different solution previously. TIBCO was basically a client requirement. I've implemented multiple integration platforms according to the client's requirements and preferences.

Deployment took over a year. We have about four people that handle maintenance.

Users are only charged a yearly maintenance cost. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but I know it's quite expensive as a solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

In terms of advice, I would suggest anyone hoping to implement the solution do their market research first. There are other products available which are easy to implement as well. Do your research and then choose the best product according to your needs.

I would rate this solution six out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Denodo, Talend and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Development Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
XML to JSON transformations, out-of-the-box, help to build REST services

• "Customer support is very efficient."
  • "The OSGI console is available to debug different issues and get low level informations on the applications development, like bundle, dependencies, etc."
  • "BusinessWorks reduces development time, helping developers to focus on business logic."
  • "The Business Studio interface based on SCA Standards helps to show the business logic at first look and improve code maintenance."
  • "A possible improvement could be to give the capability to use different profiles for each AppNode when an application is deployed on an AppSpace."
  • "Improve Business Studio's stability to further minimize development time."

What is our primary use case?

TIBCO BusinessWorks is mainly used to build services based on SOA principles.

It can be used to build synchronous services using SOAP or REST, event-based architecture based on XML over JMS.

REST services based on Swagger Specifications are supported.

How has it helped my organization?

BusinessWorks reduces development time, helping developers to focus on business logic. The Business Studio interface based on SCA Standards helps to show the business logic at first look and improve code maintenance.

Runtime entities management is very simple.

What is most valuable?

Web service development is very simple. It is a service built very quickly, so you can focus on performance and error handling. XML to JSON transformations, out-of-the-box, helps to build REST services.

What needs improvement?

Improve Business Studio's stability to further minimize development time.

No issues.

Runtime entities (like AppNodes) can be added on the fly, and applications on the same AppSpace are automatically deployed on the new AppNode.

Customer support is very efficient.

I have not used other solutions.

It is straightforward.

Not my area of expertise.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work as contractor.