TIBCO Jaspersoft OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO Jaspersoft is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Embedded BI Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: TIBCO Jaspersoft vs Microsoft BI

What is TIBCO Jaspersoft?
JasperSoft is one of the most widely deployed business intelligence (BI) suites in the world, mostly due to its cost effectiveness. JasperSoft has an open-source codebase which allows it to be easily tailored to the needs of different clients, and big data reporting can be used with or without extract, transform,and load (ETL). It also possesses a pay-per-hour model, which can result in cost-savings if used correctly. JasperSoft has a number of pre-built templates for reporting to help make development of reports go quickly without the need for the end user to have IT experience. The dashboard features a drag-and-drop designer, which helps workers better visualize the data. It allows various kinds of data to be visualized including OLAP, relational, and other sources by using HTML5 to create interactive charts. JasperSoft also offers interactive maps and widgets for mobile devices, allowing for easy consumption of data when away from the desktop. The mobile devices also have customizable drag-and-drop dashboards. The columnar engine helps aggregate data, which speeds response times for enterprises that have to deal with large and complex data. The United States Marine Corps needed access to metrics in order to better run the Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune. These metrics included: scheduling the availability of operational resources, identifying risks associated with implementing IT changes, and data for ongoing root analysis. With the IT Service Management application through JasperSoft, the ability for the base to provide response to its user communities has been greatly enhanced. NOTE: Jaspersoft was acquired in April of 2014 by Tibco, makers of the BI solution, Spotfire. As of the most recent update to this page, seen in the date below this description, Jaspersoft is still supported and sold as a BI software solution. Compare JasperSoft with other business intelligence solutions using our Business Intelligence SmartAdvisor.

Download the Reporting Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

TIBCO Jaspersoft Customers
Mosaic, Vander University, Telesoft, Entrust, Ericsson, BT, Groupon, John Hopkins, Puma
TIBCO Jaspersoft Video

Archived TIBCO Jaspersoft Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user540237
Managing Executive at System Business, s. r. o.
Some of the valuable features are flexible report scheduling and common JRXML templates for parameterized reporting.

What is most valuable?

• PostgreSQL support
  • Saving reports in PDF, XLS(X), HTML formats
  • The automatic sending of reports by e-mail (The HTML report can be shown inline, not just via an attachment.)
  • Flexible report scheduling
  • Common JRXML templates for parameterized reporting
  • The possibility to export reports to the file system
  • The user-friendly interface
  • Scriptable reports with the use of variables, parameters, and fields

How has it helped my organization?

• Business processes automation
  • Provides higher efficiency
  • Minimizes human error

What needs improvement?

The following aspects need to improve:

• The possibility to display all report schedules in one place
  • The out-of-the box possibility to integrate with independent installation of PostgreSQL for the JasperReports server
  • Better process control (such as start, stop, restart without failures between various components, etc.)
  • A more straightforward/user-friendly migration of reports between various versions of the JasperReports server

I have used this solution for around four years.

There were rarely any stability issues.

We did not experience any scalability issues as of yet.

It is a good forum.

We were not using any other solution. We were doing things more manually. Jaspersoft was our first try.

The setup was average. Some special features were hard to figure out and configure, such as the Slovak local reports.

We are happy with the free, open source version.

In 2012, there were some other options that we looked into, but just theoretically.

What other advice do I have?

The migration between versions could be hard. It is okay to have multi-version environments, but just be aware of it.

Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
The most valuable features are the security file and the general data level security implementation framework. The user interface needs general bug fixes

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the security file and the general data level security implementation framework. Apart from using the Jaspersoft domains to constrain data on the report, using the security file adds another level of security to your data. This is essential for those of us who require data to be provided based on user privileges.

How has it helped my organization?

Ad hoc functionality has proved to be an essential part of the business, as well as the data level security.

What needs improvement?

The Jaspersoft domain user interface needs general bug fixes.

The ability to create cross joins on the domains is essential to provide a product that can completely support business reporting needs.

I have used this product for five years.

We encountered some stability issues. I experienced user interface issues in Google Chrome when resizing the browser display on domain editing. When using Firefox, it seemed to be more stable.

We encountered some scalability issues, as the server doesn't handle too many concurrent connections very well.

The technical support is average.

We did not use a previous solution.

The setup was fairly straightforward, but it requires an intermediate to expert level installer.

First use the community edition to see if the basic reporting features are adequate for your organization.

If you need to trial run the ad hoc functionality, then ask for a trial license. Have a plan to use those few days optimally. Afterwards, decide on what license will suit you best.

Alternately, you could contact my organization for assistance in this regard: www.silvafox.co.za (LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/roger-baatjes-4496b615).

We have used Jaspersoft for a good couple of years now. We used SAP BusinessObjects, Microsoft SSRS, and SSIS.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure that the needs you want to address match the license you intend to purchase. If there is a mismatch, you might end up spending more money than you need to.

Find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, SAP, Knowage and others in Reporting Tools. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Founder at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features are the setup of layers and row-level security.

What is most valuable?

For the Jaspersoft Server:

• The portal and the management of users
  • Sub-administrators along with template reports
  • Authorizations and row-level security
  • The setup of layers
  • Overall flexibility

For Jasper Reports:

• It is equal in value to Crystal Reports
  • Very good pixel-perfect reporting

How has it helped my organization?

It was very easy to setup a report for more than 30 countries in which they could only see their own data. It was easy to give each country their own sub-administrator who handles their own users.

What needs improvement?

The user interface of Jaspersoft server is not appealing and should get a sparkling makeover.

I have been using the product for over a year.

We have not encountered any stability issues with the Jaspersoft server.

We had an issue with scalability. That was because of the burst of data we had and too few instances of the server on AWS.

I would give technical support a rating of 10/10. I called a rep and he made a special fix for our project on the fly within a few days, as I recall. I didn't put any pressure on him.

We were going to the AWS cloud. Jaspersoft was the only tool which understood the licensing part of the cloud. The easy handling of the row-level security made me decide to choose it.

The initial setup was easy as we used the AMI from the AWS Marketplace. Later on, it became more difficult as we were using load balancers and https.

Although starting is easy, when you go for production sizing, you have to be prepared to pay quite a bit. You can lower it by preparing your datastore/database in a good way.

We looked at QlikView, Tableau, Pentaho, and SpagoBI.

What other advice do I have?

Take some time to check out all the functionalities, especially the portal and row-level security. You can test it really well with the pay per hour option.

it_user542799
Senior Software Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
​The reporting and charting features are valuable. Implementation of subreports is not straightforward enough.

What is most valuable?

• The reporting and charting features: I have worked with other reporting tools and I find this tool is easier and faster to work with while creating charts.
  • Easy editing options.

How has it helped my organization?

I have used this technology to implement a reporting module for my client. This tool has helped my client to track the data more easily.

What needs improvement?

Implementing of subreports is such a pain. This functionality could be made faster.

The concept of subreports is to easily embed an existing report in a new report. This may sound simple but implementing it is such a pain. It took me hours to get it right. It is just not straightforward enough.

while I add a report, I just drag drop the icon and establish a connection with the database and it is ready. But sub report is not the case. It should have been just a drag drop and it should act as an individual report on its own only. It takes a long time to give some connections and there is no much documentation available on the same either.

I have used this solution for about a year.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

On a scale of 1-5, I would rate it a 2 because the technical team never had any proper documentation or guidance for any of my issues. No online help is available either.

We did not previously use anything else.

The initial setup was easy.

It would be good to go with Jaspersoft Studio.

What other advice do I have?

Write down the project requirements and compare it with all that this product can do. Then, decide wisely based on all the options available.

it_user539580
Risk and Operations Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
you can continue working in the tool, while the job that generates reports runs in the background.

What is most valuable?

The reports and analytic view feature and the ability to generate large reports in background are most valuable to us. The feature that allows to run different reports in the background helps to create long running reports without affecting the system performance, i.e., you can continue working in the Jaspersoft tool, while the job that generates reports runs in the background.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps to process very quickly and present it in a very understandable way for the business people.

What needs improvement?

I would definitely recommend to evaluate this product in the context of other business intelligence tools that are currently on the market.

I have used this solution for three years.

There were no stability issues.

We did not encounter any scalability issues.

This product is being supported by our local help desk.

We did not have any other solutions before.

All this is being handled by our IT department.

It was chosen on a group level.

it_user297504
Data Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The pixel-perfect report and embedded report portal are valuable. Visualization design should be improved and aligned with newer tools.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the pixel-perfect report, embedded report portal, scheduling reports, open source, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Jaspersoft is being used as my organization’s report development platform. We use this tool to schedule reports and email users in either Excel or PDF format. We can use the Excel file to support our working processes or use the PDF as an official document.

What needs improvement?

Visualization can be improved further in terms of design, and to align it with other, new reporting tools.
According to user feedback, by comparing with other BI Data Discovery Tools. E.g. Qlik Sense. TIBCO Jaspersoft’s chart types and colour tone are not modern enough. Therefore, users will be more willing to use Qlik Sense rather than TIBCO Jaspersoft.

I have been using this product for about six months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

As I am using the community edition, no customer service is provided. However, it is easy to get support from its community.

Since we are using the community edition, no technical support is provided either.

Previously, we were using SAP Crystal Reports. However, it was already an obsolete version.

I set it up on a Linux server; it is straightforward.

We have implemented it via our in-house team.

I have also evaluated other tools such as Tableau, Pentaho and SpagoBI. The reason we have chosen Jaspersoft is because it is a very popular open-source reporting tool, with the ability to integrate with other web applications and schedule sending of reports.

What other advice do I have?

Jaspersoft is a strong tool for static, pixel-perfect reports. I suggest also including another data discovery / ad-hoc analysis tool in your roadmap.

it_user531804
Software Developer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Stability and server disk consumption need improvement. Creating and scheduling reports is tedious and bug prone.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is a browser-based system and memory consumption for the client with large-scale data is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

The following areas of the product need improvement: stability; server disk consumption; creating reports is tedious and bug prone; scheduling reports is bug prone.

I have used this product for two years.

We constantly encountered stability issues.

We have encountered scalability issues. At certain points, the data became too large and was not effectively cached.

The technical support provided was terrible.

Previously, we used Microsoft reports and switched due to high licensing costs. Also, the older versions for which we had a license for, were not able to effectively manage memory consumption on the client side.

The setup process was relatively standard and it has a good installer. A person with any level of Tomcat knowledge should be familiar with the system.

The community version is free. It has a pretty good feature set for free software. However, the enterprise version is incredibly overpriced.

We evaluated Pentaho, which was incredibly frustrating and unintuitive to use.

What other advice do I have?

Don't implement this product.

VP
Sr. Business Intelligence Developer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Report locales provide multi-language support. It should have a report bursting option.

What is most valuable?

• Profile attributes for implementing multi-tenancy.
  • Report locales for implementation of multi-language support in report development.
  • Subreports, in many reports, to achieve specific report requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using Jaspersoft for report development.

What needs improvement?

There is scope of improvement in terms of:

• More flexibility for report / dashboards development.
  • A report bursting option.
  • Caching of query input controls that creates problem.
    (In regards to input controls which are based on SQL queries, they show cached data instead of fetching new data every time reports are executed. Input controls still show old data, even if there is a change in data and consequent query results.)
  • Scriptlet execution option before the main data set execution.

I have used this product for about three and a half years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I would give the technical support an 8/10 rating.

Prior to Jasperserver, we did use a different solution and decided to switch due to higher licensing costs.

The initial setup was straightforward in terms of server installation, implementing multi-tenancy, multi-language, locales etc.

We evaluated another option, namely Cognos, before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good, simple to learn product with some limitations.

it_user504099
Director, Operational Risk BI & Big Data Analytics with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

• Embedding the reports within other applications
  • Export functionality: Reports can be exported to many different formats including MS PowerPoint and PDF.

How has it helped my organization?

Automation of existing reports and dashboards has helped in increased productivity and huge efficiency savings.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them make it more user friendly for developers and include the latest charting libraries.

In this age of tools such as Tableau, developers are used to intuitive interfaces to develop the reports. It's always relative!!

Jaspersoft is an open-source product and lot of times you have to rely on the community to answer some of your queries. Product documentation also could be improved for the developer to reduce the learning curve.

I have used it for about 3 years.

I have not encountered any stability issues. The product has been pretty stable.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support has been really great. Usually questions get answered within 24 hrs.

We used a home-grown reporting tool that lacked many of the functionalities we needed. We evaluated multiple vendors before selecting Jaspersoft.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward, except the security piece. Over the years, the tool has improved how security is implemented.

It definitely provides value for the money if you have enterprise-wide usage of standard dashboards and charts.

We were looking for a lightweight solution that is easy to implement and that can scale. We looked at several options including MicroStrategy and WebFOCUS. Those tools unfortunately didn't fit the bill.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a need for standard dashboards that can be exported to various formats, Jaspersoft will be a good solution to try out. Jaspersoft also provides various integration mechanism (JavaScript libraries and APIs) for embedded BI.

Also, with the latest releases, they are making good progress in the self-service business intelligence space.

it_user498384
Sr. Application Developer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
The API functionality on the server is valuable because it gave us an easy way to distribute reports to non-technical users. To change some settings, you have to manually edit a text config file.

Valuable Features:

The REST API functionality on the server is valuable because it gave us a really easy way to distribute reports to non-technical end users. They don't have to remember another login, don't have to learn a new interface; they just click a link and *bam* they have their report.

Improvements to My Organization:

We tied it into our help ticketing system database to provide on-demand reporting to our QA team.

Room for Improvement:

Even though it works well enough for our purposes, one thing I think that could be improved is making it easier to configure. There are a number of settings that you have to manually edit a text config file (like allowing anonymous access to the REST service). While some of the settings can be manipulated through the GUI, not all of them can be. I think that could definitely be improved.

Use of Solution:

I have used it for about a year.

Stability Issues:

I did not encounter any stability issues.

Scalability Issues:

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Initial Setup:

Whether initial setup is "straightforward" depends on your basis of comparison. It isn't Microsoft Office. But for a server product, it wasn't bad.

There is a little bit of configuration necessary, and getting permissions right can be a pain. But overall, not bad. Though, to be fair, I did this once over a year ago... so maybe it was a fight and I just don't remember...

Cost and Licensing Advice:

We use the community version.

Other Advice:

Just try it on a pilot basis and see if it will meet your needs. It's a decent tool to have in your solutions bag.

Business Intelligence | IT Service Management at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Charts use HTML5, so they can be rich and dynamic. The support team needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

• HTML5 charts are rich and dynamics
  • Ad-hoc reporting allows the end user or analyst to easily develop their own reports (based on business language).

How has it helped my organization?

We can implement IT service management (operational and management) report solutions.

What needs improvement?

The support team needs to be improved. While I did not have a specific problem with it, I think that support should be improved (like, for instance, the SAP support team, as well).

I have been using TIBCO Jaspersoft since 2015.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 6/10.

Previously, I used SAP BusinessObjects. License costs was the reason for the switch.

For a BI engineer, initial setup is simple and very straightforward.

I did not evaluate any other products, because this product is included in the Business Intelligence module of CA Technologies products.

CS
Jaspersoft BI Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Leaderboard
Interactive reporting and dashboards using HTML 5 charts. Reports developed in older versions are not supported fully in new versions.

What is most valuable?

Pros:

1) Community edition which is free is the best buy for small to medium companies who can't afford any money at all to try a product.

2) Table components and cross tab which are interactive in nature

3) Interactive reporting and dashboards using HTML 5 charts

4) Ad-hoc reporting, which enables end users who doesn't want to get into any technical difficulties, to generate reports easily using this feature.

5) Dynamic formatting, sorting, hiding columns on the fly and visualizing the data as we wish.

6) Licensing costs which makes this product available to any size of company

How has it helped my organization?

I used this to develop reports to identify how many students are joining a specific college.

What needs improvement?

Cons:
1) It's not so stable with it's date calculations in domain level reporting.
2) Reports developed in older versions are not supported fully in new versions.

TIBCO support is not that great as the guys are not very keen at resolving the issue and making issues which can be resolved also as enhancements.

One example issue I felt is that we have a domain based report where if you create a bundle file with domain and generate view and report, you will get the labels in bundle file in view and report.

For an existing domain which does not have a bundle file, I tried the same and could not see the functionality working like for the new domain. They said it's an enhancement but I feel they should be able to fix such issues.

They need to improve their support.

Since 2011.

Yes. Reports with date related calculations are not so stable.

Customers are asking for a report with millions of data to load in seconds and we need some good information about how to improve this.

Average

Average

In-house

It's a good tool with affordable licensing cost. Good scope for opportunities.

Very good.

What other advice do I have?

These are my personal views with the little experience I have with Jasper and there might be deeper views that can be presented such as how the in-memory engine works - columnar they say.

BI developer - (Jaspersoft/Pentaho/Pentaho C-Tools/Kettle/Talend/Data warehouse) at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It includes enterprise features such as ad-hoc reporting on self service BI, rich dashboards, rich embedded BI solutions, mobile BI solutions, multi-tenant features, and rich HTML-5 visualizations.

Valuable Features:

Some specific features that I like are -

• Multi-tenancy
  • Self Service BI using domains, ad-hoc views, ad-hoc reports.
  • High Charts (HTML-5) and D3 (Data Driven Document) charts.
  • Big Data support - Hadoop Hive and MongoDB and etc.
  • Report Books feature - Table of Contents.

Improvements to My Organization:

This product is integrated into a CA product called CA PPM (Project Portfolio Management) for its reporting purpose. Using Jaspersoft's data warehouse capabilities, CA PPM is able to provide faster performance by utilizing this tool when compared to its previous reporting solution SAP Business Objects.

Room for Improvement:

• Full support of new visualizations D3, and C3.
  • Drag and drop desktop tool for analysis such as that in Tableau, QlikView or Spotfire desktop. This could be a part of Jasper Design Studio.
  • Send the report to email with its output as an attachment within the studio.
  • User defined plug-in development and deployment like Pentaho Analytics i.e. a market place feature for server or studio.

Deployment Issues:

We have had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

There have been no performance issues.

Scalability Issues:

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It's open source which means that small to mid-sized businesses can use the community version of Jaspersoft and save lot of money. For Enterprise level companies, it has rich enterprise features such as ad-hoc reporting on self service BI, rich dashboards, rich embedded BI solutions, mobile BI solutions, multi-tenant features, and rich HTML-5 visualizations. These help a client take better and more elegant decisions for a lower cost per candidate per year. Also, you can rent the server for quick solutions in the cloud at a rate of $1 per hour.

Other Advice:

If a business is small to mid-size you should get the community version. Otherwise, if your business is huge, you should look at the Enterprise, Professional, or Cloud versions of the software for a lower price.

DWBI Developer at DST Worldwide Services Pvt Ltd
I'm able to set up and develop reports and dashboards easily, but creating custom domains is difficult.

What is most valuable?

Reporting Engine Dashboards Adhoc Reports Multi-tenancy Report Bursting

What needs improvement?

Inter panel communication within the dashboard Writing custom domains is a difficult task

I've been using it for two years.

5/10.

No previous solution was used.

It’s very straightforward to Install Jaspersoft in both Linux and Windows.…

What is most valuable?

• Reporting Engine
  • Dashboards
  • Adhoc Reports
  • Multi-tenancy
  • Report Bursting

What needs improvement?

• Inter panel communication within the dashboard
  • Writing custom domains is a difficult task

I've been using it for two years.

5/10.

No previous solution was used.

It’s very straightforward to Install Jaspersoft in both Linux and Windows. When setting it up, it's very easy to develop reports and dashboards. Also, entry level developers who have knowledge of CSS/HTML can build themes easily to customize Jaspersoft servers.

it_user6855
CEO with 51-200 employees
Verdict Jaspersoft Community addresses the creation of reports and charts and does so admirably. The scope of the product is fairly limited compared with some other open source offerings, but it does what it does very well. JasperSoft provides several versions of its JasperSoft BI suite. The Community edition essentially provides a reporting and charting environment with supporting infrastructure. The report designer supports charts, images, crosstabs and sub-reports for sophisticated report layouts. Interactive report viewing is a browser based report viewer with sorting, filtering and formatting of report snapshot views. A centralised repository provides infrastructure for reporting and stores user profiles, reports, dashboards and analytic views. Reports can be automatically…

Verdict

Reports can be automatically scheduled and distributed using Report Scheduling, and User Access and Security provides report access by role or user. Mobile BI is also supported for iPhone and Android devices.

The commercial editions add much more including dashboards, a metadata layer, in-memory analysis, data integration capability and interactive visualizations. The list of JasperSoft customers is impressive, although most will undoubtedly be using the more capable commercial version.

Co-Founder at Helical IT Solution (Jaspersoft, Pentaho, Talend, Kettle, DWBI, ETL, Ctools, iReport, Jasper Report)
Jaspersoft vs. Pentaho – Which one to use & is there any need to purchase the commercial edition
Any company (be it technology, manfucaturing, human resource, ecommerce, SME etc) always has the need for Business Intelligence to some or the other extent. If cost is one of the consideration factor, then the 2 BI tools which are at the forefront are Pentaho and Jaspersoft. But, often the same companies are caught up in an imbrogilo as to which tool to use, what are the technology/and end business user wise differences/ do i actually need to purchase commercial edition, is there any work around etc. Differences :- In the below mentioned points, I have tried to cover functionality wise the differences a. Reports :- Jaspersoft is known for its picture pixel perfect reporting. Jasper uses ireport for designing the reports. Hence, for having reports, Jaspersoft is the most ideal candidate…

a. Reports :- Jaspersoft is known for its picture pixel perfect reporting. Jasper uses ireport for designing the reports. Hence, for having reports, Jaspersoft is the most ideal candidate. Pentaho uses Pentaho Report Designer.

b. Dashboards :- Pentaho provides much more capabililties, interactivity in terms of dashboards. Dashboards designed in Pentaho are far more superior in functionality, aesthetically as compared to Jaspersoft. Pentaho CE uses CDE/CDF, Pentaho EE uses PDD . Dashboard functionality is present only in the Enterprise edition of Jaspersoft.

c. Pentaho is having an intermediate layer known as Xactions & hence providing much more flexibility in terms of plugin designing, integration with applications, having out of box experience etc. Xactions supports scripting and scheduling of scripts execution. Jaspersoft dosent provide that much of flexibility in terms of intermediate layer, but never-the-less, Jasper server by default comes with some functionalities like scheduling, for plugin desiging they rely on ireport plugins and Jasper server plugins,

e. Mobile BI compatibility :- Jaspersoft scores higher than Pentaho here. They have BI for iOS, Android platforms. Functionality wise and user interface wise Jaspersoft mobile BI is better. They even have an opensouce Apple iphone application. Pentaho users have to often rely on third party tools to enhance mobile BI experience. But, Jasper provides native mobile API hence helping developers to create mobile applications. Pentaho mobile BI is only present in the enterprise edition.

f. Documentation : Jaspersoft invests a lot of time in documentation. Its pretty evident from that fact that they are having different case studies of the different clients on their website, explaining how Jaspersoft has helped them.

g. ETL : Jaspersoft uses Talend and Pentaho uses Pentaho Data Integrator (Kettle) as their default ETL tools. Kettle is developed by Pentaho organization itself unlike the case of Jaspersoft which uses Talend Open Studio version with some functionalities missing.

h. OLAP Analysis : Both Jaspersoft and Pentaho uses Pentaho Mondrian engine in their BI suite, and it goes unsaid which one will be stronger in this case.

i. Community support : Community support is more in Jaspersoft as compared to Pentaho. Also, the community members are more active of Jaspersoft community, hence if you are using CE, the chances of problem resolution is much more.

j. Plugin : Pentaho is having many plugin which are ready to use like CDE, CDF, Saiku etc. Pentaho is having a highly active community for plugin designing. Pentaho server by default comes with marketplace (just like appstore). Jaspersoft is a late entrant in this field and is currently having very limited plugins till now. They have also started Jasperexchange for their plugins.

k. Data Mining : Pentaho is having data mining module named Weka and Jaspesoft uses R. Again Weka is developed by Pentaho itself unlike the case with R. But toolwise, R is more advanced and more capable as compared to Weka

l. Big Data : Both Jaspersoft and Pentaho provides big data integration services.

m. Unlike Jaspesoft, Pentaho provides a much more tightly integrated BI suite since it has itself developed most of the components.

n. Jaspersoft EE has fusionchart integration. The latest version of Jaspesoft 5.0 EE is having Highcharts integration with it. Pentaho has open flashcharts integration. For geographical charting, Jaspersoft is having mapbox pro whereas Pentaho is having google maps.

o. Summarizing Jasper has a heavy focus on reporting and analysis. It has a better web 2.0 user interface than Pentaho and is generally easier to use. It benefits from better marketing, informational web sites, and documentation. Overall, it makes researching and finding what users need easier than Pentaho. Whereas Pentaho focuses on data integration, ETL, and workflow automation. It has a user interface that is more difficult for business users than is Jasper’s. The documentation is also less robust than its competition. On the other hand, it has strong data mining tools, ETL, flexibility via Xactions.

Which BI tools is to be used, whether enterprise edition has to be purchased or is there any other way out (like best of breed solution of different BI suites, plugin development, data visulization charting engines integration etc) – all these things can only be ascertained by a thorough discussion between the company and the solution provider. Its generally ideal to go and have a consultation with a company having exp in different BI technologies which will be able to give a comprehensive picture and can help the client towards business objective, rather than trying to push their software.