Tintri VMstore OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Tintri VMstore?

All-Flash Arrays

The Tintri All-Flash Array controls each application automatically, so you don’t have to. Tintri guarantees performance, crunches real-time analytics, and predicts future needs—all at the application level. And with the T1000 Array, remote offices and individual departments can experience Tintri too. Now you can rest easy.

Tintri EC6000 All-flash Array Series Data Sheet
Tintri T1000 All-flash Array Series Data Sheet

Hybrid-Flash Arrays

Conventional storage doesn’t play nice with your applications. The Tintri Hybrid-Flash Array does. Tintri controls each of your applications automatically, so you can spend your time and money on the strategic projects that matter. And when 99% of IO is delivered from flash, you get all-flash performance at a not-so-flashy price point.

Tintri VMstore T800 Hybrid-Flash Series Data Sheet

Tintri maximizes performance for your applications and the people who manage them. With all-flash storage and software for virtualized workloads, Tintri automatically manages each application, so you don’t have to. That means you’re free from decades-old storage constraints so you can spend your time on high-impact projects.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Tintri VMstore Customers

That’s why leading enterprises including Comcast, Chevron, NASA, Toyota, United Healthcare and 20% of the Fortune 100, trust Tintri with storage needs.

Tintri VMstore Video

Archived Tintri VMstore Reviews (more than two years old)

Claudio Gallo
System Engineer at Swisslos Interkantonale Landeslotterie
A solution with a straightforward setup and great speed, but technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for the server and for our VDI.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution was how fast it worked on behalf of VDI desktops. The dashboard and the integration capabilities were okay.

What needs improvement?

In the end, we decided the price wasn't going to work for us, along with the fact there was fussiness around the storage.  Technical support needs improvement as well.

We've used this solution for five years.

Technical support is an area where we had several issues, and it was hard to get some support in a specific case we had. I'm not very satisfied with them.

The…

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for the server and for our VDI.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard and the integration capabilities were okay.

What needs improvement?

Technical support needs improvement as well.

We've used this solution for five years.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We used the on-premises deployment model. Recently, we stopped using the solution.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

SC
Manager at Intraservice/City of G̦teborg
User
It is fast and reliable. There hasn’t been a single failure in three years of use.

What is our primary use case?

In our production environment, we have 10 ESX hosts with two replicated Tintri T850 SAN.

How has it helped my organization?

It is fast and reliable. There hasn’t been a single failure in three years of use.  The VMs have worked fine, and the bandwidth to the Tintri SAN has never been an issue.

What is most valuable?

Ease of managing and installing: It’s just to enter an IP address and you’re good to go.  It’s very good at IOPS.  The firmware upgrade is easy.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to have the ability to store data other than virtual machines. At the moment, you can only connect VMs to it, and that’s a bit disappointing.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

• It is fast and reliable. There hasn’t been a single failure in three years of use.
  • The VMs have worked fine, and the bandwidth to the Tintri SAN has never been an issue.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of managing and installing: It’s just to enter an IP address and you’re good to go.
  • It’s very good at IOPS.
  • The firmware upgrade is easy.

What needs improvement?

Find out what your peers are saying about Tintri, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: October 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Reynaldo Martinez
Windows Systems Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Speed Up deployment significantly and the cloning feature is Impressive

• "The Deduplication feature in VDI environments. If Tintri says we can host 3000 VMs in our storage, I know we can host 3000 VMs there. Believe the results."

What is our primary use case?

I use Tintri box for a VDI solution, hosting at least 1800 VDI stations there, deployment really easy, really good performance. No major issues.

How has it helped my organization?

It speeds up deployment significantly. This is one of the greatest improvements because we are able to deploy several virtual machines in seconds. The cloning feature on the Tintri Box is really impressive.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication feature in VDI environments. If Tintri say's: "we can host 3000 VMs in our storage", I know, we can host 3000 VMs there. Believe the results.

What needs improvement?

The area it needs to improve is the pricing. It could be better. Another topic is the replication feature, In the version 4.3 the syncronous replication is not so friendly and you have to do procedures manually to come back once you recover one of your nodes.

Good. We had a couple of issues from the start and they were resolved very quickly with no impact on production.

In the past, we used a typical SAN solution. We made the switch because of the simplicity of the design. We can use the same network devices that have a large number of connections, instead of SAN switches. That's one less layer. And because the deployment is really really fast.

The initial setup is straightforward, no advanced knowledge is required to do it.

Explore the Tintri Synchronous Replication feature (licensing is required). This is a good solution to protect your environment at Storage Level and your RTO will be improved by this.

Yes, XtremIO and you can ask for a deployment test with Tintri, after you test it you will like it, his deployment Is really simple and faster. No other dashboard is needed because you can see the behavior of your storage and the IO performance at VM level.

What other advice do I have?

You can ask for a deployment test with Tintri. After you test it you will like it, it's deployment is really quick and simple. No other dashboard is needed because you can see the behavior of your storage and the IO performance at the VM level.

Lars Hoidis
    System Engineer Client & Server at Swisslos Interkantonale Landeslotterie
    Web GUI for maintenance and resource monitoring purposes is easy to use

• "A very good support team that is available 24/7. They have real technical staff with strong knowledge."
    • "Web GUI for maintenance and resource monitoring purposes is easy to use."
    • "In sync and automated mirror between two Tintris is missing."

What is our primary use case?

VMware virtualisation for Client with VMware VDI & vCenter for server synchronised over two data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

• Easy installation, stable, and reliable operating with an almost zero-touch approach.
    • Allows for more time to worry about real problems.

What is most valuable?

• The web GUI for maintenance and resource monitoring purposes is easy to use.
    • If you have to reconfigure or check something, you will not be lost with too many unnecessary options.
    • Excellent 24/7 support with good reaction times. A lot of first time contacts were to a technical person, not log and route.

What needs improvement?

In sync and automated mirror between two Tintris is missing. However, as far as I know, it is on their roadmap.

Three to five years.

Not a lot to do more on a Tintri. It is always monitored by the vendor, if you like, and their reaction time and quality are awesome.

Moving on to a synched and automated mirror between two data centers was not possible. We have been hearing for a month that this feature will become available. However, in the end, it was too late for us.

A very good support team that is available 24/7. They have real technical staff with strong knowledge.

HP EVA, which is not admin friendly.

Five to 10 min to production.

The vendor team's level of expertise is very good.

Make sure that you have all licenses in one go. Options afterwards can cost extra.

An "all-in-one" license model would be better at this price range.

Not applicable.

What other advice do I have?

Good, friendly sales, marketing, tech, and support teams, who are a pleasure to work with.

reviewer872538
    Senior Technical Analyst
    User

• "Upgrades are super easy and can be done during business hours without interruptions in production."
    • "Its speed has been absolutely fantastic."
    • "Its VM-aware features have been excellent to use and integrate with XenServer as well."
    • "I would love more insight into each virtual machine statistic."
    • "The Tintri Analytics site is excellent for long-term trending, but more data would be great."

What is our primary use case?

Tintri T5060 SSD array used for high performance requirements of Windows 10 VDI environment using Citrix XenDesktop.

KPI: Performance must be equal to or better than a local user environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The Tintri VMstore was faster than most local user laptops and desktops available at the time. Most users were on spinning disk or hybrid storage.

In the VDI environment, the "VM-aware" T5060, along with its extremely fast speeds, has removed storage as your typical bottleneck.

What is most valuable?

• Its VM-aware features have been excellent to use and integrate with XenServer as well.
    • Its speed has been absolutely fantastic.
    • Upgrades are super easy and can be done during business hours without interruptions in production.

What needs improvement?

• I would love more insight into each virtual machine statistic.
    • The Tintri Analytics site is excellent for long-term trending, but more data would be great.

No issues.

Technical support has been excellent, Their engineers are excellent and easy to access.

No previous solution was used.

Initial setup was very straightforward.

Implementation was done in-house.

ROI is excellent, but have no specific data.

Ensure the storage system "natively" supports the protocols that you wish to use (i.e., CIFS) without the need for the overhead of internal "conversion VMs" that run the protocols.

We evaluated Pure Storage SSD arrays.

What other advice do I have?

Tintri has been a breeze to deal with!  We have had no issues.

Infrastructure Engineer at Residential Management Group Limited
    Great for finding problems where VMs are hogging all the performance

• "Tintri VMstore is rock solid. We have not had a single issue with stability. It is also very low maintenance allowing us to concentrate on project work."
    • "Support from our vendor and Tintri are brilliant. They have always answered all of our questions promptly."
    • "It is great for finding problems where VMs are hogging all the performance."
    • "The product could be improved by adding iSCSI support. We have had to rethink how we implement some of our services due to this."

What is our primary use case?

Our old storage platform was on ageing hardware and the performance in our environment was declining. We purchased the Tintri VMstore to increase performance in our virtualised  environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Tintri VMstore has improved my organization by providing a huge performance increase, mostly to our Citrix XenApp environment. Our users have not complained about slow downs while using or opening apps since we got VMstore.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I find most valuable is the VM level awareness that the VMstore gives you. This is great for finding problems where VMs are hogging all the performance.

The VMstore is also very stable. I have not had a single issue since the purchase my company made.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by adding iSCSI support, as others have mentioned. We have had to rethink how we implement some of our services due to this.

Less than one year.

Tintri VMstore is rock solid. We have not had a single issue with it. It is also very low maintenance allowing us to concentrate on project work.

We have not had any issues with this. Currently, we only have one VMstore.

Support from our vendor and Tintri are brilliant. They have always answered all of our questions promptly.

We previously used a NetApp SAN which was ageing and not performing, so we needed a new device. Tintri was recommended by our third-party.

The setup is very straightforward. We were setup in no time and ready to start migrating VMs onto the device.

We implemented this solution through our vendor. They recommended this solution and had a high level of expertise.

Tintri is reasonably priced for the solution you get. Advanced features do require extra to use.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Tintri is the best solution that I have used. The performance is second to none!

Team Lead,Enterprise Software - Infrastructure at BlackBerry
    Has given us the ability to quickly and easily understand, manage and troubleshoot storage at the granularity of a VM\vDisk.
    Tintri's VM-aware storage appliances combined with their intuitive management tools has given us the ability to quickly and easily understand, manage and troubleshoot storage at the granularity of a VM\vDisk.   Appliance performance has exceeded expectations allowing us to migrate more demanding workloads without concern while increasing the responsiveness and throughput of those applications.  Going forward we would like to see tighter integration with vSphere to enable the use of tags and other meta data for use in QoS and other management and reporting functions. Tintri truly delivers a setup and forget storage solution that allows us to focus on our primary business instead of managing complicated storage platforms. Supported with the release and continual improvement of Tintri…

Supported with the release and continual improvement of Tintri Analytics we now have a cloud based solution for not only trending and better understanding our long term storage posture but also that of our compute platform.  Tintri gives us tools and data to better manage our day-to-day operations while also planning more effectively for the future.

Since my initial review we have continued to grow/expand our Tintri footprint and have now completely replaced our legacy, costly, ageing storage solutions.

it_user378327
    jonfwilliams@outlook.com
    We can now identify VMs, which require a lot of disk performance from a single console

What is most valuable?

• The performance graphs, which allow us to see real-time IOPs.
    • Latency at the virtual machine (VM) level.

How has it helped my organization?

We can now identify VMs which require a lot of disk performance from a single console. It has also allowed us to give our developers access to disk IOPS that were not previously possible, reducing both migration times and job run times.

What needs improvement?

The Hyper-V configuration is not as easy as VMware. Documentation could be better as well. The replication technology is good, but could be improved to allow the powering on of the replica instead of having to clone the machine.

I have used it for three years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We had to replace a chassis because of a bad fan connector.

We filled up the performance quota before filling up the space.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

We used Atlantis ILIO. We switched because Tintri gave us similar speed at a good price point on physical disks as opposed to the Atlantis approach of using memory for the disks. We also got a lot more insight into VM behavior.

It is straightforward. Plug it into the power and network, give it an IP address, add the vCenters, then add the storage to VMware.

We did it in-house.

We have not calculated this. It is a difficult one to calculate as well, as it has saved man hours for both support and developers in troubleshooting storage I/O issues. It has also allowed us to actually complete upgrades that were failing on our traditional storage arrays because of time-outs when accessing the disk. So without Tintri, we would not have been able to perform these upgrades.

Pricing is very competitive, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. At the price point, the restriction to a specific TB size per unit can be forgiven.

The VM replicate license is not worth getting.

We compared it to Atlantis ILIO, which we were currently running.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have four 10GB ports available, as each controller has two ports. If they are both filled, it will flash the error LED on the front of the unit.

it_user694668
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The most valuable features are VM awareness and QoS policies.

• "You can control resources on a per VM basis to ensure that contention in resources does not hamper performance."
    • "I think with the world soon becoming only SSD, possibly NVMe, and 3D Xpoint. It would make sense for Tintri to drop the hybrid array down the line."

How has it helped my organization?

From a PoC standpoint, both the hybrid and all-flash boxes delivered a performance boost up to twice the performance in comparison with what was there in production: First Generation VNX, NetApp FAS 6000.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are VM awareness and QoS policies. While VAAI and VASA set the stage for arrays to be intelligent from a virtualization perspective, Tintri has taken it a step beyond.

On a related note, the advent of VVol (which Tintri supports) will be interesting to watch. While VVol is gaining acceptance and can be seen adding similar capabilities to legacy arrays, Tintri does integrate and leverages VASA/VVol.

The product offers a number of features apart from the standard set found on most arrays (snapshots, replication, etc.). This includes inline deduplication and compression, which are now almost standard.

The single discerning feature in which the vendor has been an absolute pioneer is VM awareness and the ability to set QoS on a per-VM basis. While this is available in other products such as SolidFire, EMC SPBM (storage policy based management), Tintri is the pioneer.

What needs improvement?

I think with the world soon becoming only SSD, possibly NVMe, and 3D Xpoint. It would make sense for Tintri to drop the hybrid array down the line. The storage market is becoming cluttered.

There were no issues in terms of stability. But in terms of performance, with the hybrid box, when the IOmeter was set to literally bombard the box, there was an increase in latency which we managed to address with policies. So in short, the box is highly configurable.

There were no issues with scalability. While we didn’t have the need to add shelves, that should be a straightforward process

The support we had during the PoC was good.

The initial setup was absolutely straightforward. We found Tintri more than ready to support us during the installation.

Treat this no differently than any other standard array. Decide on the functionality suite. The licensing model is relatively simple. For things like replication, however, the licensing needs to be looked at.

We evaluated Pure Storage and XtremIO.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your workloads and their demands well. This means you need VM performance metrics for at least three to six months, ideally, from vRealize Operations. Setting up policies is crucial as it has direct implications.

System Administrator at a agriculture with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The ease of administration is crazy good. The dashboard makes things so easy to understand that you have a full grasp on what your VMs are doing and where the bottlenecks are. The speed that you are able to achieve from this storage is better than what we have seen from any other vendor.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to perform maintenance on all our VMs at the same time, backup multiple VMs at the same time, etc. without causing lag to our users.

What needs improvement?

Of course, a lower price would always be welcome. We were one of the first hyper-v adopters, so it was a bit more cumbersome for the initial setup, but the new OS has resolved these issues.

We've used it for one year.

We had problems with performing backups straight from the Tintri when using Hyper-V as the hypervisor, but the fix is due 2nd quarter of 2016 and their support was great to work with.

The Tintri platform is rock solid. The increase in stability has been the major reason that we are so pleased with Tintri.

Scalability is not really an issue. When you run out of space, you just purchase another unit and create a new share.

When we had backup issues, their support was great and we had actual engineers call us back and work through the problem with us.

If you have an issue, Tintri gets the right people on the call to get the problems fixed. You don't waste time getting transferred all over the place.

We used NetApp and had nothing but problems with slow speeds, with stability, with needing to hire consultants for management and upgrades. It was an expensive solution that didn't deliver.

Tintri is probably the easiest SAN that you will ever encounter. 15 minutes and you are up and running. You need very limited information, and the setup poster gave any information to get you going.

There was no need for vendor help or consultants. The setup takes 15 minutes and is extremely straightforward.

We are able to fully patch our servers and run more VMs without having to purchase additional storage. Our ROI after switching to Tintri and Hyper-V is in the $40-$60K range.

Tintri is going to be a cheaper option that some others, but that doesn't mean you lose anything. It was built from the ground up to host VMs, and isn't an older solution retrofitted to work with VMs.

We looked at upgrades to our Netapp, or going with an HP or EMC SAN. Neither was able to deliver what we got from Tintri.

What other advice do I have?

Hands down one of the best investments that we have ever done. We loved it so much we bought a second one for another site a couple of months later, and now we are buying a third.

System Administrator at a agriculture with 501-1,000 employees
    You just set it up in 15 minutes or less by connecting the network, giving a name and IP, and then adding DNS entries and permissions and you are off an running.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is the most valuable feature. You just set up the VMstore in 15 minutes or less by connecting the network, giving a name and IP, and then adding DNS entries and permissions and you are off an running.

How has it helped my organization?

The storage is VMware, so it knows how to optimize performance for VMs, which is what we use exclusively in our modern data center. We never hit drive performance problems. Our headaches are gone after the switch!

What needs improvement?

Of course price can always be lower. Still working with support to enable more options for backup at this time, but we asked for features and they expect to deliver in the next month or two...nice to have a company that listens.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We haven't had any issues with stability.

We haven't had scalability issues.

They've listened to us when we requested more options for backup.

The price could be lower.

it_user583974
    User at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    The VM-aware processing and speed are valuable.

• "Fast deployment for virtual machines"
    • "Active/active cluster between two Tintris on Hyper-V cluster."

How has it helped my organization?

Deployment of new servers is now very fast; just clone master images to deploy a new server in seconds. It will be automatically mapped into Hyper-V. Just start, and it's... done.

What is most valuable?

• VM-aware processing
    • Speed
    • Easy management
    • Fast deployment for virtual machines

What needs improvement?

• Active/active cluster between two Tintris on Hyper-V cluster.
    • Dedup should be better.

It runs very good. Software upgrades can made during office hours.

At the moment, it is half-filled with SSDs; it has have 25 TB in SSD capacity (12.6 TBof it is usable) and after dedupe/compression, 80 TB is usable.

I rate the level of customer service as five stars; very fast and helpful. They also found a firmware error on our switch! Perfect.

I rate the level of technical support as five stars.

Before, we used a NetApp FAS 2552. It was very slow and not so good to manage. It caused performance Issues. Then, we had a PoC with the Tintri 880 Series. It was much faster than the NetApp. After the PoC, we bought an all-flash 5060. It is very fast.

As an example a virtual machine needs 25-30 seconds to boot with NetApp; with the Tintri, it takes 1-2 seconds.

We have storage latency from 0.60 ms.

The setup was easy. We had the Tintri up and running in 60 mins with everything.

It took more time just to rack and cable the Netapp...

We implemented it in-house with support from Tintri.

Prices are not cheap, but it runs...

Before choosing, we also evaluated a NetApp all-flash system but Tintri does it better, the PoC was faster; better management.

What other advice do I have?

Try it, love it. :)

System Engineer Werkplekken at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good for VDI environments or if you need to provide high-end VMWare solutions.

• "It is a set and forget environment with a very good tooling to view performance and delivers the IOPS we need for our VDI environment."
    • "Speed of our VDI machines. We have a very high log in and log out ratio and machines are being refreshed instantly so we have a constant boot storm on our storage."

How has it helped my organization?

When implementing our VDI environment we noticed that we were unable to push out the IOPS for the VDI's to achieve the performance we wanted to. With Tintri we are able to deliver good performing VDI desktops.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it is very easy to set up and delivers. It is a set and forget environment with a very good tooling to view performance and delivers the IOPS we need for our VDI environment.

What needs improvement?

Speed of our VDI machines. We have a very high log in and log out ratio and machines are being refreshed instantly so we have a constant boot storm on our storage. Tintri can easily put up the effort then run this smoothly.

Not until now.

Not until now. Because we don't have a full flash array but a hybrid we expected to not have a 100% flash hit ratio but to this day we never got below 100% hit ratio of Flash.

Perfect. Normally they are aware of an issue earlier than we are. And even if they don't support something they still put in the effort to help us

Very high.

Yes, we used diferent kinds of storages but they were unable to deliver the IOPS we needed.

Straightforward. As said, within 45 minutes from unboxing to production.

Through a vendor team. Other than getting the Tintri out of the box it was very easy.

Yes, we tried multiple storage vendors but at that time Tintri was our best option for what we needed to achieve. They also provided us with a demo model.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say if you are going for VDI environments or need to provide high end VMWare solutions make sure to try Tintri. If you tried it and used it you wont go back to anything else.

Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    We were able to increase productivity by moving away from LUNs and simplifying management of our backend storage.

What is most valuable?

• Dedupe
    • VAAI
    • The deep dive analysis of performance for each VM

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to increase productivity of our small team by moving away from LUNs and simplifying management of our backend storage.

What needs improvement?

Integration of all the interfaces:

• For each Tintri
    • For the global centre management
    • Analytics

The interfaces are all great, but if all the functionality were built into one global centre, this would make the interface a single pane.

We have been using this solution for nearly two years

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

Scaling requires the purchase of a new VMstore.

Customer service is excellent. Any time we needed questions answered or help, our service team was quick to respond and they were very knowledgeable.

Technical support is excellent. We performed an upgrade which caused an alert to be sent to our team. By the time we finished reading the alert, someone from Tintri was already calling us to explain the issue. In this specific case, it was an erroneous alert due to filling a temp folder during the upgrade process.

We were using a hyper-converged solution that wasn't scaling with our limited budget and space.

The setup was straightforward and quick to deploy. It took under an hour from racking to being available for use.

We deployed the solution in-house.

Scope your needs properly and buy the right model. Leverage your pre-sales team for help.

We evaluated Nimble and Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

• Test the sales pitch
    • Do a PoC
    • Push the box to the limits of your environment and see for yourself
    it_user629091
    Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The web UI allows you to view performance of individual VMs, as well as performance of the overall VMstore.

What is most valuable?

Tintri has a great web UI that allows you to view performance of individual VMs, as well as performance of the overall VMstore.

Code upgrades are really simple.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen increased performance of VMs that have been migrated to Tintri.

What needs improvement?

There are occasional bugs but Tintri has been good about fixing them quickly. The bugs are mostly cosmetic; I've never had a bug impact end users or VMs.

In regards to the bugs, we have had minor issues here and there, when accessing things in the UI. Nothing to note recently but in previous releases, we have had a lot of issues with AD integration. However, those issues have been resolved.

We have also had false-positive alerts, while upgrading the code. That only happened with one version of code, that we upgraded to but again, those have been resolved.

Tintri is always very good with resolving bugs, i.e., by frequently providing code upgrades.

I have used it for 3+ years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent. Whenever I call, I get somebody right on the line.

Technical support is excellent. The Tintri is smart enough to generate tickets on its own when there are issues and support is right there to help.

Initial setup is very easy. The whole process from unboxing to adding to vCenter is 20-30 minutes. There are no LUNs to carve and no zoning required!

An in-house team implemented it.

IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    We purchased it and currently use it for our Hyper-V environment.
    Valuable Features: The overall speed/performance of the system is critically valuable for us and the analytical data is extremely helpful for minimizing troubleshooting time for any VMs experiencing issues. This product was purchased for our MS Hyper-V 2012 R2 environment and allowed us to build out a clustered configuration that we have never been able to have due to previously unreliable equipment. At the time we were having severe disk latency issues and realized that we needed an all Flash or Hybrid flash and SATA array. The unit we purchased is a Hybrid unit, although at first we were skeptical it would provide the same performance as an all Flash Array, yet it has far surpassed all expectations. Detailed reporting with the ability to see reports from the hypervisor are very…

Valuable Features:

This product was purchased for our MS Hyper-V 2012 R2 environment and allowed us to build out a clustered configuration that we have never been able to have due to previously unreliable equipment. At the time we were having severe disk latency issues and realized that we needed an all Flash or Hybrid flash and SATA array. The unit we purchased is a Hybrid unit, although at first we were skeptical it would provide the same performance as an all Flash Array, yet it has far surpassed all expectations. Detailed reporting with the ability to see reports from the hypervisor are very helpful.

Improvements to My Organization:

Immediately upon installation we benefited from a 5x speed/performance increase in the overall system for all of our VMs migrated to the unit from an old unreliable Synology storage unit.

Use of Solution:

We currently continue to use our Tintri for our Hyper-V environment and will purchase another unit once we have the need for expansion.

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues with deployment as it was deployed within an hour.

Stability Issues:

The unit remains extremely stable

Scalability Issues:

We currently only have one device, but will scale when needed

The customer service is excellent and second to none!

Only issue experienced was due to administrative error with respect to Active Directory connectivity.

Previous Solutions:

Synology unit that was replaced did not have de-dupe or have any other feature like the Tintri does.

Initial Setup:

Rack the unit
        Plug in power and network.
        Assign an IP via the cli.
        Login via a web interface and complete the set-up.
        Load the needed module on each hyper-visor.
        Mount the storage.

Implementation Team:

Single IT Administrator

ROI:

The ROI for us is expected to be just under 3 years

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Compared to other products in the same area, very cost effective. Licensing is not a factor as there are no additional license costs.

Other Solutions Considered:

Dell, NetApp, HP

Other Advice:

A lot of people get spooked by the word hybrid, but the performance is truly impressive and well worth considering.

System Administrator with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The integration at the VM level provides a detailed understanding of the VMs storage relationship without having to run lots of extra tools and services.
    Tintri Storage a System Built for Virtualization Administrators. As a VM administrator and not a storage administrator the move to Tintri was a great change in storage strategy. The integration at the VM level provides a detailed understanding of the VMs storage relationship without having to run lots of extra tools and services and then having to extrapolate and correlate all the data to determine which VM is the bully and which VM is the victim. The ability to look at the Tintri Global center for a view of multiple VM stores or individual VM stores from the web interface or even just at the VM itself from the vSphere plugin means the all the information about a VM is quickly and readily available.…

Tintri Storage a System Built for Virtualization Administrators.

The installation and setup of a new VM store was about as simple as can be just rack it, power it, IP it and use it. For a non-storage person not having to determine RAID types, RAID groups, volumes, LUNs, etc. and just use it was a great experience.

In the way of an improvement I would like to see additional vSphere features such a meta tags being made available as well as maybe snapshots of VMs at the disk level but being triggered by vSphere snapshots.

The performance has exceeded expectations as has the capacity. Everyone says wonderful things about what their storage can do but Tintri actually delivers on the promises they make.

Senior Network/Systems Engineer with 51-200 employees

Improvements to My Organization

No longer need to manage multiple LUNs and try to balance out storage allocation. Performance has been great with no issues seen on storage since moving from NetApp. We were constantly troubleshooting what was causing bottlenecks with NetApp with the VMStore they give you great insight to the network, storage, or host allowing you great insight of performance at the VM level.

Valuable Features

Performance, cost, and ease of storage management.

Room for Improvement

Always could be cheaper! : )

Not yet.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Top notch. Very responsive and knowledgeable.

Improvements to My Organization

Valuable Features

Performance, cost, and ease of storage management.

Room for Improvement

Always could be cheaper! : )

Good.

Top notch. Very responsive and knowledgeable.

Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Valuable features are speed and visibility in latency.

Valuable Features:

- Visibility in latency - Speed

Improvements to My Organization:

Faster deployment and more responsive VDI environment. What I meant is that by leveraging Tintri and their VAAI plugin we cut deployment and recompose times in Horizon View. We have increased responsiveness because the smart caching in VMStore allows us to achieve flash like performance for the VDI environment because mostly the same data is accessed.

Room for Improvement:

Synchronous Replication

Valuable Features:

- Visibility in latency

- Speed

Improvements to My Organization:

Faster deployment and more responsive VDI environment.

Room for Improvement:

Synchronous Replication

Senior Environments Engineer - Virtualised Environments at Derivco with 501-1,000 employees

• "The management dashboards keep improving and allow for quick and easy tracing of issues."
    • "Tintri need to be able to innovate faster but maintain the quality of their features."

Improvements to My Organization

We can now trend the performance of similar VMs and track performance issues to a point in time and ultimately a change or update.

Valuable Features

The Analytics components (free) are amazing and allow for trending of performance and latency over the life of the product.

Room for Improvement

I think that Tintri's cautious approach to introducing new features has been great however it has allowed competition to catch up to it.

Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to setup and use.

Valuable Features:

Ease of setup and simplicity to use. The per VM metrics are something that isn't found anywhere else.

Room for Improvement:

Backup integration with Veeam. I would really like to see a way to leverage storage side snapshots for this.

Lars Hoidis
    System Engineer Client & Server at Swisslos Interkantonale Landeslotterie
    Speed and availability for VMWare VMs.

Valuable Features:

Speed and availability for VMWare VMs

Improvements to My Organization:

It is (almost) self managing and easy to use, admin overhead could be reduced.

Room for Improvement:

Stretched Cluster also for older models like T540 and T650.

Valuable Features:

Speed and availability for VMWare VMs

Improvements to My Organization:

It is (almost) self managing and easy to use, admin overhead could be reduced.

Room for Improvement:

Stretched Cluster also for older models like T540 and T650.

Review about Tintri VMstore
    IT Challenges: Migrating from one datacenter to another is never an easy challenge especially when downtime must be minimal. There are a few tools I have access to that could have been used to get the job done. These are VMware SRM, Veeam Backup & Replication, and Zerto Virtual Replication. First, let’s take a look at the old datacenter. There are two separate clusters. One is running vSphere 5.0 and the other is vSphere 5.5. Since I am building out a new datacenter and looking to use vSphere 6.0, using SRM was really out of the question. On the storage side, there are multiple NetApp FAS arrays. I could use Veeam, but I am looking for a very low RPO which can be a bit difficult to pull off as constant snapshots can impact application and storage performance. Zerto…

IT Challenges:

Migrating from one datacenter to another is never an easy challenge
    especially when downtime must be minimal. There are a few tools I have
    access to that could have been used to get the job done. These are
    VMware SRM, Veeam Backup & Replication, and Zerto Virtual
    Replication.

First, let’s take a look at the old datacenter. There are two
    separate clusters. One is running vSphere 5.0 and the other is vSphere
    5.5. Since I am building out a new datacenter and looking to use vSphere
    6.0, using SRM was really out of the question. On the storage side,
    there are multiple NetApp FAS arrays. I could use Veeam, but I am
    looking for a very low RPO which can be a bit difficult to pull off as
    constant snapshots can impact application and storage performance. Zerto
    offers a low RPO and does not use snapshots. This sounds like a very
    good use case for Zerto. Unfortunately, this is not the case and I know
    from experience. In the past, I tried replicating a Microsoft 2012 R2
    RDSH environment using Zerto and it failed miserably. I can’t completely
    blame Zerto for the failure. The issue was with the seeding process
    causing the RDSH servers so much latency when reading the VMDK’s from
    the NetApp, that it was not possible to seed without impacting users.
    Sure, you can preseed, but I still need to copy the entire VMDK to
    another storage device. Plus I had a very short timetable to complete
    this project and over 350 VMs to move.

Tintri ReplicateVM for the Win!

I already had some experience with Tintri’s ReplicateVM and it is
    fantastic. And since we are building out a new datacenter, this was a
    good time to purchase new storage. At a very high level, my plan was to
    purchase a Tintri VMstore T850, get a loaner T850, replicate all VMs,
    and perform the migration. Sounds pretty simple, right? Well, nothing is
    ever quite that easy, but with a little engineering, this was a project
    I was eager to start.

Step one, procuring the storage. Luckily Tintri is an excellent
    company and always willing to help out. When I explained my plan,
    getting a loaner to use as a swing system was not an issue. After the
    loaner was installed, I started to Storage vMotion all the VMs to the
    Tintri datastore. This took approximately a week given the number of VMs
    and performing most migrations after hours.

Step two, replicating all the VMs to the T850 at the new datacenter
    over a 1Gbps link. I decided to use a default protection policy applied
    to all VMs using an hourly schedule replicated every 15 minutes. Meaning
    it would start at 5 minutes past the hour and replicate every 15
    minutes. I didn’t actually time how long the initial seed took, but it
    was less than two days to replicate 16TB of data. This is by far the
    fastest replication I have seen when compared to other storage vendors
    or products such as Veeam and Zerto. Best part, absolutely no
    performance impact to either environment!

Now for the fun part. As I mentioned, I won’t be using SRM. So some
    PowerShell automation will be required. Using RVTools was a great way to
    capture all the VM information I needed and save to a CSV file. The
    first part of the script was just a simple VM shutdown, but I added a
    loop to confirm the VM was shut down before proceeding to the next step.
    The next two steps use the Tintri Automation Toolkit. First, it would
    connect to the source Tintri and pause the VM replication.

foreach ($item in $vmlist) { $vmname = $item.vmname Suspend-TintriVMReplication -Name “$vmname” -TintriServer $SourceTintri -Verbose}

Next, the script connected to the destination Tintri to perform a
    “restore” of the VM. There is also a cloning option that I will explain
    later.

foreach ($item in $vmlist) { $vmname = $item.vmname $destination = $item.destination Restore-TintriVM -Name “$vmname” -DestinationDirectory “$destination/$vmname” -UseLatestSnapshot -TintriServer $DestTintri -Verbose}

Using the restore option does not register the VMs in vCenter, so I
    added a section to my script for registering, updating, and powering on
    the VMs.

foreach ($item in $vmlist) { $vmname = $item.vmname $filepath = $item.filepath $vmx = $item.vmx $vmhost = $item.vmhost $pool = $item.pool $folder = $item.folder $network = $item.network New-VM -VMFilePath “$filepath” -Name $vmname -VMHost $vmhost -ResourcePool “$pool” -Location “$folder” Get-VM -Name $vmname | Get-NetworkAdapter | Set-NetworkAdapter -NetworkName “$network” -Confirm:$false Start-VM -VM $vmname}

Once completed, all VMs were in their correct resource pool, folder,
    networking was configured, and VMs powered on. There was a bit of trial
    and error in the beginning, but the outcome was a single script that
    worked perfectly for the datacenter move.

So why did I go with the restore option instead of cloning? For one,
    simply to keep the Tintri UI nice and clean. Instead of having the
    replicated VM and clone listed in the UI, the restore command makes the
    replicated snapshot available. More importantly, I wanted to keep all
    the VMs identical to the originals including the UUID and MAC. For
    Windows, this meant no needless re-activations and also the ability to
    restore domain controllers without any issues.

For more information about Tintri’s ReplicateVM, visit https://www.tintri.com/resources/productinformation/replicatevm-data-sheet.

Unix System Administrator at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
    You can restore a VM from an existing snapshot, and if you have Tintri OS 4, you can attach the snapshot as a attached disk to an existing VM.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like the most is SyncVM. With a few clicks, you can restore a VM from an existing snapshot, and if you have Tintri OS 4, you can attach the snapshot as a attached disk to an existing VM!

The must have features are: Per VM QOS et Replication.
    The new Scale Out option since TintriOS 4.2 is another feature and really useful when you have two VMStores and more. You don't have to manually balance VMs between VMstore, this feature do it for you!

How has it helped my organization?

VMStore does the job very well. I was a bit curious about how this box could perform like the big names, but after the POC, I was very impressed! It has simplicity, performance, and the best support team.

V.M...A.W.A.R.E. This is the new aspect we didn't have before. We have a lot of internal monitoring component to maintain good performances. With Tintri, the device does it by itself.

What needs improvement?

iSCSI could be a nice add-on. Dedupe is a nice to have! At this moment, compression does a very good job, but I'm sure dedupe could be the next big thing for VMStore.

I've used it for more than 1 year.

Yes, we got a faulty DIMM, but got it replaced the next business day.

VMStore is fully redundant. We tested all kinds of failures and the box is very stable. If you upgrade the firmware, you don't have to worry about downtime -- you don't have any! We also had some network problems but the HA did very well.

For now we don't have scalability issues, but It would be nice to add an external bay for additional storage space. If you need more space, you need to buy another full VMStore.

The support team is available 24/7. If your ticket is critical, you can pick up the phone and you have the right answer very quickly!

For any kind of problem, you can expect the right guy. You can escalate the problem very quickly if you need it. You don't have to talk to a thousand tech guys to get the right answer. Tintri support gave us the right facts and responded very quickly.

We used Hitachi VSP, but the support renewal is very costly. We got good feedback with the first contact with the Tintri sales team and we did a POC right after that!

The initial setup was really simple. You read the quick start manual and got a working solution in under one hour. No complicated setup at all!

We got the solution from a vendor team and they knew the box really well. We did a comparison in-house to be sure, and we don't regret this step.

At this moment, the ROI is really good for us. We bought additional VMStores in the first year for additional storage space and DR site. We are looking to add more and more in the following year.

You pay for what you get. You will have the performance you need and you will not be disappointed at all! About licensing, you get the essential options for the smaller price. Some killer add-ons are available, but it's all your choice.

We looked at Tegile because they offer multiple protocols (iSCSI, NFS, SMB, etc.), but their replication process is very disappointing. Tintri is the best for a VMWare solution and its simplicity is a must!

What other advice do I have?

Tintri has the best solution in the storage world. Virtualization and storage is a good match and they are always adding new stuff with each new firmware release. I don't hesitate to recommend Tintri to my friends!

Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
    Simple to instal and manage. High IOPS.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customer don't call anymore for slowness on their VM's disks. Our engineers have much more time for more valuable things instead of storage management. Time to market enviable. Support hyper-reactive.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity of installation and management, high IOPS, management per VM, QoS, power and space saving.

What needs improvement?

More cloud integration.

Customer Service: It's far above average. Technical Support: We always spoke with a senior engineer.

We switched for low IOPS and cost of management.

Directly from Tintri, very high professional level.

What's my

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

More cloud integration.

It's far above average.

We always spoke with a senior engineer.

We switched for low IOPS and cost of management.

Directly from Tintri, very high professional level.

The cost of all the SW is well spent because it makes you save on backup and DR.

Director of Data Centers at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    It has QoS per VM and great overall performance tracking.

• "It has easy setup, easy administration, and no LUNs!"
    • "The Tintri OS and GlobalCenter software do a great job of showing you troubled VMs, however it still could be a bit more helpful in diagnosing the issues."

How has it helped my organization?

We are a small shop, not having to manage LUNs, disk type and disk tiers has allowed us to focus more on overall health of our virtual environment and not the day-to-day challenges of traditional LUN-based SANs.

What is most valuable?

It has easy setup, easy administration, and no LUNs! Performance for the price is amazing. It has QoS per VM and great overall performance tracking.

What needs improvement?

The Tintri OS and GlobalCenter software do a great job of showing you troubled VMs, however it still could be a bit more helpful in diagnosing the issues. We have had a couple Linux VMs that went out of control with IOPs and Tintri showed us that, but we still had some digging to find out why. So adding some more detailed information as far as where the IOPs issue is coming from would really help.

We've had no issues with the stability.

This is our main love of these units -- connect to VMware and Tintri monitor and manage your performance.

Amazing, only a couple of support call so far, and they were small things. Tintri was great with their response and assistance.

10/10 - we have had two cases open with Tintri, a bad power supply, which they quickly replaced and a issues with snapshots which was fixed with an OS update. Both cases were handled quickly and professionally.

We had both CORAID and EMC, but all Tintri now. This is hard for me, we have had so many issues with our past storage systems, CORAID (which we have totally decommissioned) and our EMC storage systems, that our Tintri systems have just been perfect. I know that sound a bit biased, but it is not, I have been a storage administrator for almost 20 years and the past eight months with two Tintri units has been hands down the best.

It was easy to setup.

Tintri did free install with an engineer but we didn't really need it.

We are a smaller IT shop and even the T820 is a bit large for our needs, which means we are paying for more storage space than we need, so something a bit smaller/cheaper would be nice.

We looked at NetApp, Tegile and Nimble.

What other advice do I have?

Seriously, my 20 years in storage and this is the best solution I've ever used hands down. The company is great to work with as well!

It has provided us with agility and allowed us the ability to have granular views of storage without having to be storage experts.

Valuable Features

The ease of use and management capabilities are the most valuable features for us. Tintri is incredibly easy to use and manage. The performance and its secret sauce, VM understanding and management, works great.

Improvements to My Organization

Use of Solution

I've used it for four years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: In my experience, Tintri's customer service has been excellent. Technical Support: In my experience, Tintri's…

Improvements to My Organization

Use of Solution

I've used it for four years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

In my experience, Tintri's customer service has been excellent.

In my experience, Tintri's technical support has been excellent.

The initial setup was really intuitive. It was easy to install.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team.

Infrastructure Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    By using the Tintri management interface, we get VM-level statistics from both of our hypervisors.

What is most valuable?

We've been using Tintri for around six months now and we love the per-VM level statistics. It's also very easy to setup and to live with.

How has it helped my organization?

By using the Tintri management interface, we can now get VM-level statistics from both of our hypervisors. This allows us to quickly diagnose latency issues and find solutions for them before they become bigger problems.

What needs improvement?

Tintri hardware is perfectly sized for the medium-to-large office. Their interface and methodology is great, but it's a shame there is nothing for a robo office with 10-20 machines.

We've used it for six months.

We've had no issues with deploying Tintri. From start to finish it was less than 45 minutes with most of the time taken to get it into the rack.

We have performed failover testing before going live and experienced no issues.

We have also performed updates to Tintri during the day with no problems.

When Tintri gets to either the maximum performance reserves or available disk space, the only upgrade path is to purchase a new unit.

Customer service from Tintri is excellent. Our account manager is always available to talk to us and we have access to him and his expertise.

The technical support has been very helpful, even proactively replacing a piece of hardware with a known fault.

When we had to look at support renewal costs for our existing hardware vendor, they were very high which the prompted us to look into different hardware vendors.

The initial setup was very simple and it took 45 minutes to get fully up and running. Unboxing and racking took the longest.

We used in-house skills to get this working as it really doesn't require any expert knowledge compared to other storage vendors.

We plan to be using the Tintri system over 5 years, but we expect our ROI within 1-2 years based on lower admin overheads and quicker troubleshooting of issues.

To get the best pricing, work with Tintri and a vendor and they will be able to advise best on what they can offer.

Before we chose the Tintri storage system, we looked at a number of different companies, but many were removed from our selection process because of no NFS support which was our main focus.

What other advice do I have?

Stop using LUNs and start working with Tintri. The simplicity will amaze you and takes the stress out of storage.

Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    With the VM Visualization feature, we get fast troubleshooting when we have a performance issue with our VMs.

What is most valuable?

With the VM Visualization feature, it gives us extremely fast troubleshooting when we have a performance issue with any of our VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

The performance of the array is superb, but for us it's the time saving we get - the IT staff don't need any special SAN training to fully operate the Tintri unit, and it saves huge amounts of time when provisioning systems.

What needs improvement?

It needs a Hyper-V toolset and OpenStack Horizon support. Most of the features are in line with the competition, but they could provide automation to move VMs between hypervisors.

I've used it for 3+ years.

No, everything was extremely simple. We had the unit racked and powered on in 15 minutes, and it took only 10 minutes to set the device up.

We've had no issues with stability, even when upgrading. The VAAI plugin is a little tedious to install on the ESX hosts, but it's not needed for every function.

Scaling is very easy to do, as they effectively are standalone units. You can get a Global Center OVA which monitors and manages up to 32 devices at once. We have this in-house and use it frequently.

9/10. They have always been prompt at getting back to us, follow-up service has never been pushy by pressuring us to buy more, and we can highly recommend them.

9/10. The support site is a great resource. The techies in the UK really know their stuff, and the upgrades have always worked flawlessly (save one issue, which they released a fix for almost immediately!).

We used HDS, but its cost and technical skill level of implementation was too high for our IT staff. Also, the introduction of fiber channel meant a big change to our infrastructure. Tintri was simple, and plugged into our environment with minimal changes.

The initial setup was incredibly simple. The whole system was installed and running in less than an hour. It took longer to rack and plug the cables in than to configure the software! We have VMware mainly, and adding it was a cinch.

We implemented it with our in-house team with very little training required. As long as you know VMware, it's really easy to put in. Mounting the device as a NAS also takes a lot of the pain points away.

Our ROI is in the time saved on our troubleshooting. Also, management hours have been massively reduced as monitoring and maintaining the Tintri have almost gone down to zero!

Only go for the Tintri Global Center if you intend to buy more than two VM stores, but other than that, it was straightforward, and even the SKUs are simple to understand.

Yes, HDS, Huawei, and HP. We looked at a lot of different vendors beforehand, but Tintri just fit our needs nicely, and I cannot fault the performance.

What other advice do I have?

We love our Tintri's here, so much so, we have 3! I would highly recommend them to anyone. We are mainly VMWare, but the multi hypervisor support means that it can fit almost any environment.

Server Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Although I no longer have to manage our storage, I'd like to be able to add more storage capacity without buying additional, separate arrays.

• "The ease and use and the great performance are why we went with our 2nd Tintri VMstore."
    • "I would like to be able to add more storage capacity to our 2 units down the road with out buying an additional seprate array."

Improvements to My Organization

I no longer have to think about our storage or managing it. Tintri solved all those problems for us while improving performance.

Valuable Features

The ease and use and the great performance are why we went with our 2nd Tintri VMstore. Tintri arrays are cheaper then other vendors while still providing an excellent level of performance.

Room for Improvement

I would like to be able to add more storage capacity to our 2 units down the road with out buying an additional seprate array. I hear that their newer models may solve that issue though.

RC
    Server & Storage Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The overall speed of the system is the main feature that's valuable for us.

• "We also find the detail per-vm reporting at the ability to see reports from the hypervisor straight back to the storage useful."
    • "On the software side, I suggest adding integration with backups software like CommVault Simpana or Veeam where these products can integrate with the array and trigger things like snapshots for backup, etc."

How has it helped my organization?

The SAN was purchased for our VDI environment. As soon as we put it in place, we noticed a threefold speed increase in the overall system.

It has greatly improved the performance of our VDI environment to start. Since the initial deployment we also attached it to our "Server VM" vsphere and even placed some of our virtual server workloads on it and it has handled that load very well.

What is most valuable?

The overall speed of the system is the main feature that is valuable for us. The metrics and analytics it provided is great also.

This product was purchased for our VMware View VDI environment . At the time we were having disk latency issues and were looking for an all Flash array. This is a Hybrid unit. At first we were skeptical it could provide the same performance as an all Flash Array, but when we tested it against one it did. So speed was our primary feature we were looking for and we certainly got. We also find the detail per-vm reporting at the ability to see reports from the hypervisor straight back to the storage useful. Another other nice feature is the vmware aware granular abilities to provide QOS to each VM.

What needs improvement?

On the physical side, I would suggest adding a light to each of the controllers that would indicate which is the active and with is the passive.

On the software side, I suggest adding integration with backups software like CommVault Simpana or Veeam where these products can integrate with the array and trigger things like snapshots for backup, etc. We are considering buying another to host more of our virtual server workload.

The unit has been very stable since it came on-line.

We currently only have one device, so have not scaled it.

The customer service is excellent.

The only time we ever had an issue was when we were converting our storage infrastructure from 10GB Base-T to 10GB fibre. We inserted the wrong style Gbic into t he unit and a port would not come up. Support called us before we even thought to call them.

We have an all Flash Equallogic unit and the Tintri is much faster. The Equallogic also does not de-dupe the data or have any other feature like the Tintri does.

The initial setup was very easy.

1. Rack the unit
    2. Plug in power and network.
    3. Assign an IP via the cli.
    4. Login via a web interface and complete the set-up.
    5. Load the needed module on each hyper-visor.
    6. Mount the storage.

We implemented it ourselves.

The ROI is very good and will continue to grow as we scale our vdi

Compared to other products in the same area, it's cost effective. The price is the price and is reasonable for the class of storage. Licensing is not a factor as there are no additional license costs.

In addition to Tintri we also did a proof of concept on Pure Storage. While the Pure Storage was slightly faster it was 40% more expensive and provided 70% less useable storage.

We also met with SolidFire, NetApp, Dell, and HP.

What other advice do I have?

A lot of people get spooked by the word hybrid. Don't be. This thing is a hybrid but has all-flash speed.

it_user359496
    Technical Team Lead - Environments Team with 501-1,000 employees
    The most valuable features for us are the reliability and it's ease of use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the reliability and it's ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

It's the most stable storage unit since the much more expensive HP 3PAR unit was released.

Our first unit – the T540 - was bought at the beginning of 2012.

We encountered no issues with deployment.

There were stability issues only when we exceeded the operational limitations. We found that the number of running VM’s advertised per device is not consistent with what we experience due to the workload each of our VM’s generates.

We…

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the reliability and it's ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

Our first unit – the T540 - was bought at the beginning of 2012.

We encountered no issues with deployment.

We encountered no issues with scalability.

The customer service is very good. We have active interactions with the technical support and development teams

Technical support has been excellent so far.

We switched because we encountered reliability problems. The cost of scaling out the solution to overcome these issues was excessive.

The initial setup was extremely simple.

The implementation was done in-house.

We evaluated Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

Just give it a try, even via POC, to see how much simpler it is to implement and how well it performs.

it_user371448
    LAN Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Cloning new VMs using Tintri has saved me time. I use the feature on a regular basis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for me are the cloning and snapshot recovery functions.

How has it helped my organization?

Cloning new VMs using Tintri has saved me hours of waiting/work. It is the one feature that I use on a regular basis. Snapshot recovery is amazing as well. We rely on Tintri snapshots over VMware snapshots. They are so much easier to manage.

What needs improvement?

That’s tough. The thing is rock solid and easy to manage. Can’t think of anything right now, but reserve the right to revisit this.

The licensing model, however, is disappointing as each feature requires a license.

We've used it for three years.

The deployment was straightforward and easy! We had a POC and never sent the box back. We really didn’t even need an engineer, but it was nice to get the knowledge transfer of tips and tricks after setting the box up.

None so far in three years.

It scales as promised. You run out of resources, you buy another one. We have not hit the limit on any of our boxes yet.

A+ excellent! Love my Tintri guys. They understand our use case and help us find the best solution. They keep their finger on the pulse and get in touch with me when something is going on that I need to know about. Our vendor relationship is outstanding.

Maybe even better than customer service!!! I don’t want to hurt any feelings here but I probably talk to technical support a little more often than I do customer service so I am giving them A++. So far, I have always gotten a person when I called. None of that they will call me back stuff. I really appreciate that. I need to talk with someone when I call, not 4 hours from when I call.

We did – NetApp. We switched for a variety of reasons – cost, we felt like the technology was old and they were trying to retrofit to keep up with emerging technologies, we didn't like the licensing model they used (every feature seemed to require a license).

The initial setup is very straightforward.

We had a vendor team help us. Well, we lucky enough to have Trent Steele help us. That guy is just amazing.

Pricing is fair, but the licensing model is disappointing. Initially, we thought Tintri was going with a “you buy our box, you buy everything” to simplify the licensing, but they have gone down the NetApp road of licensing features. We really don’t like that. Big disappointment.

We evaluated several options, including

• Tegile
    • EMC
    • Nimble Storage
    • Nimbus
    • NetApp

What other advice do I have?

Do it. If you are in the NFS virtual world, there is no better device.

Network Services Manager at a legal firm with 201-500 employees

• "I've worked on both EMC and NetApp SANs, and this is by far the easiest system to maintain"
    • "Their current replication is really just enough to "check the box" that they do replication. We'll probably implement Actifio, Zerto or EMC RecoverPoint for VMs for more critical data replication."

How has it helped my organization?

We have 300 virtual desktops running on VMware Horizon. While many VDI deployments (like call centers) are able to take advantage of non-persistent desktops, licensing and other application issues forced us to use more IO-intensive persistent desktops. The T650 allowed us to cost-efficiently provide very high performing desktops by optimizing the use of Flash. We're currently using 19 TB of storage space for the desktops, but their optimization has consistently given us a 100% flash-hit ratio.

What is most valuable?

For my company, Tintri's most valuable feature is it's TCO. This system is easy to install, requires no training, and is easy to upgrade. I've worked on both EMC and NetApp SANs, and this is by far the easiest system to maintain. As a SysAdmin, I really appreciate the built-in monitoring capabilities as well as the PowerShell and REST API toolkits.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see improvements in their replication engine. Their current replication is really just enough to "check the box" that they do replication. We'll probably implement Actifio, Zerto or EMC RecoverPoint for VMs for more critical data replication.

We've had no problems at all with stability. At this point, we've done several upgrades of the system which uses the High Availability features to restart each head during the upgrade.

We've had no issues with scalability.

As I mentioned above, their level of customer service is extraordinary.

Technical support has been very responsive. A few weeks ago we upgraded some switches at a remote site, causing the T650's management interface to go offline for a few minutes. Within a few minutes, we got a few emails from tech support and my sales engineer offering any help. They're also very good about keeping us informed about any new upgrades or patches.

This system was used for a new project.

Initial set-up was very easy and was probably finished in 30 minutes. I was surprised that the initial set-up required a keyboard, mouse and monitor rather than just a serial connection.

We purchased through a vendor called Datalink, but our Tintri sales engineer came in and installed the system at no additional cost.

With any SAN purchase, the sizing procedure is the most important step. I'd suggest going through exactly how you will use the system with your sales engineer and get their approval in writing.

We evaluated EMC, NetApp, Nimble Storage, and Pure Storage. At the time the "all-flash" options were still very expensive and we hoped that a hybrid approach would be sufficient for our performance needs. We're very happy with the decision.

What other advice do I have?

With the drop in flash prices, there are a lot more options on the market than when we first started our research for this project. In particular, I'm currently very interested in hyper-converged solutions. However, if are looking for an easy, but high performing storage platform for VMware, then you can't go wrong with Tintri.

it_user371436
    IT Systems Manager at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Some of the most valuable features we've found are the thin provisioning, deduplication, and VMware View/VDI support.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We purchased the T540 for our VMware View/VDI deployment. When we chose Tintri, it was the only product to offload the VDI cloning to the array. This reduced the provision by 8-15 minutes depending on which system we were on. Other systems now have this same feature, but the Tintri is rock solid.

What needs improvement?

We have tested the replication piece – it actually works well, but is expensive based on our limited needs – if we were utilizing the Tintri for more of our VM workload it may be more cost effective.

I've used it for two years.

Installation was maybe an hour including racking the equipment and setup. It's one of the simplest SANs I have touched. We have been eliminating new arrays all of 2015 and still, Tintri is the easiest to configure.

We encountered no issues with stability.

We currently have about 240TB of data and add about 60TB a year. Ideally, we prefer to have a single array to manage for our primary workload. Our VDI environment is stored separately and Tintri more than fits the need of this environment.

Customer service is great to work with.

Technical support has been excellent. We did a beta test of the T850. This involved us in weekly conference calls with their engineering dept. They are extremely knowledgeable and great to work with.

We were utilizing an EMC VNX which worked well for our day to day workloads, but was not optimized for VDI. That was what lead us to the Tintri solution in 2013.

It had the simplest setup of any SAN I've worked with.

For the first T540, the Tintri engineer came up and walked us through the setup. I think this was mostly a good will gesture and to meet us in person. The second one my team did themselves. We had both communicating with the VMware environment in less than an hour.

I think for the money, Tintri is a great solution.

We looked at other solutions. When we purchased this, it was the only solution offering the features we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Buy it.

it_user371418
    Senior Technologist with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Integration with hypervisor managers, "VM awareness" within the storage, and visibility into the behaviors of each VM container and virtual disc are the most valuable features for us.

What is most valuable?

We've found that its VM-related features are very valuable: integration with hypervisor managers (VMware and RHEV-M), "VM awareness" within the storage, and visibility into the behaviors of each VM container and virtual disc. It has very hands-off, detailed visibility and control mechanisms for issues or questions of VM performance.

It's also very reliable and has an overall ease-of-use.

How has it helped my organization?

By providing a domain-specific, virtualized, storage solution, Tintri helps me -

• Move VM storage off general-purpose arrays and re-use that resource more appropriately; and
    • Free up engineering resources to do more-useful work, versus managing and analyzing VM storage.

What needs improvement?

It needs current RHEV-M support (v2.5) which is slated for 2016. It also needs dedupe on the spinning media for the hybrid array. Change the UI to use something other than Adobe Flash.

We've used it for a little over three years.

It was one of the simplest install and deploys I've been involved with.

It's got reliable hardware plus seamless HA failover.

Scaling is via a loosely-coupled "cluster" of independent VM store appliances.

Excellent; the appliance does phone-home and auto-support uploads, so Tintri support knows when there are issues. On-site support (used once in 3+ years) was efficient and professional.

Excellent; I have direct contact and touch-based communication with my SE, and timely response with support for any question or issue we've had.

We switched to save cost, improve performance, free-up existing resources for other tasks, and to gain VMware and RHEV-M support.

It's super-simple. We were already an NFS-attached VM storage shop, so I just added the Tintri appliances as a data store, then live-migrated VM images to it. From opening the box to initial testing took 30 minutes.

I purchased from a VAR, but we did the install and integration ourselves, not for any lack of expertise from the VAR, but because the product is simple to install and deploy.

ROI is hard to quantify, but we gained visibility and optimization of the VM execution environment, freed up more-valuable resources (equipment and people) and improved reliability and stability of the VM execution environments.

Ask for discounts. Ask for "Tintri Global Center" as a free licence to go along with the VM appliances.

We considered NetApp, Nutanix, and HP 3PAR.

What other advice do I have?

Try it, you'll like it.

it_user371412
    Head of IT at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The most important features to us are its low latency, the high performance, and the per-VM QoS.

What is most valuable?

There are several features we find valuable, but the most important to us are its low latency, the high performance, and the per-VM QoS.

How has it helped my organization?

With VMstore, we're able to perform better and have better insight into our data storage infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

It lacks deduplication, and dedupe on all data is something that would be a big improvement that we need.

We've used it for one year.

We didn't encounter any issues with deployment.

It's been very stable for us.

We've been able to scale without any problems.

10/10

10/10

We switched to VMstore get better performance, VM-aware storage, and improved QoS.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

We anticipate that our ROI will be around three years.

Before choosing Tintri, we evaluated solutions from Nimble Storage and Equalogic.

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a perfect product if you need a VM-aware storage solution. As a service provider we love the possibility to look at the virtual environment from the storage perspective, to see which VMs are using IOPS/capacity and to analyze where the latency is produced (host/network/storage). With the new QOS features we can guarantee to meet customer demands and we don’t have to use different storage platforms for different performance alternatives. For example; if the customer wants spinning-SATA-RAID5 performance we can set a limit on the IOPS and if the customer wants Hybrid-SSD-spinning we can guarantee 5000 IOPS.

it_user371409
    Director of Operations at STM IT Solutions
    The most valuable features to me are the VM-specific QoS feature, the enhanced visibility, and “noisy neighbor” prevention.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The big benefit to the organization is that we no longer have to worry about a few rogue VMs taking up performance resources on the SANs, which impacts all of our clients.

What needs improvement?

I would love an Active/Active set-up, if possible.

I've used it for two years.

We encountered no issues with deployment.

We had a couple of issues when updating firmware on the T540, but Tintri support was very fast to respond.

We've had no issues with scalability.

9/10. As mentioned previously, technical support was very quick to respond.

We still use EMC VNX appliances. The switch was due to performance limitations introduced by VDI and VM cloning.

The initial setup was very straightforward, especially compared with iSCSI solutions from other vendors.

We used an in-house team as the implementation was very straightforward.

It's hard to pinpoint the ROI, but the devices have been worth every penny spent.

Tintri pricing is very competitive, but there is a definite gap in the “entry level” market (sub-$30k).

We evaluated solutions from Nimble Storage and EMC.

What other advice do I have?

Understand it is NFS-only and while other products may be cheaper, it is very granular.

it_user371406
    Technical Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

For my role, I've found that the most valuable features are its ease and simplicity, especially with configuration. Tintri's support is also great.

How has it helped my organization?

Even though we brought it in less than a year ago, we've already found that it's improved the way we function by simply being easier to manage than the other products we've used as well as those we looked at.

What needs improvement?

Right now, we see that the configuration access isn't as good as it should be. An improvement in this area would be a huge help for us.

We implemented it recently, less than a year ago.

We've had no issues with deployment whatsoever.

We have yet to uncover any instability issues.

We haven't had to scale it that much yet, but we haven't had any issues.

The technical support at Tintri has been great so far.

We did not want to be locked down by a specific vendor or product, so we switched to Tintri.

The initial set up is very straightforward, almost plug-n-play.

We used a vendor team for the implementation.

As it's been under a year since we initially implemented, it's too soon to determine our ROI. But it looks good so far going forward.

Buy what you need and not what you want.

We evaluated solutions from NetApp and EMC.

it_user371403
    Enterprise Infrastructure Architect at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    We replaced a EMC VNX 5700 with Tintri. Cost, performance, and ease of management were the primary reasons for the replacement.

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features for us, among them are speed, savings of storage space, and the ease of setup and management.

How has it helped my organization?

Using VMstore, we no longer need a dedicated storage engineer, saving us costs from a human resources perspective. There's also very little setup required for new Tintri units. And once set up, management can be done by anyone.

What needs improvement?

It would be very helpful if it had scheduled time-to-full trend reporting because management always wants to know how much time is left on storage.

I've been using it for 11 months.

We've had no deployment issues at all. It's the simplest storage installation we've ever seen.

We encountered no issues with stability.

It's scalability is great. Because it’s node-based, if you need more space, you just add a node.

Customer support is excellent. They're very responsive.

Technical support is top-notch. We dealt with Steve Phillips, and he's been great.

Tintri replaced an EMC VNX 5700. Cost, performance, and ease of management were the primary reasons for the replacement.

The initial setup was very straightforward. We gave VMstore the addresses, told it where the vSphere vCenter was, and it literally did the rest. It took us about 30 minutes, including racking the unit.

Steve Phillips from Tintri came in person to show us how to set up the unit. His expertise is complete.

Pricing is much less expensive than anything of similar size/performance that we looked at (Pure, Tegile, upgraded VNX). The licensing is quite simple, especially when we made the purchase. It was all-inclusive then, and now they have more products that can be licensed.

We looked at Pure Storage and Tegile, and considered upgrading the existing VNX 5700.

What other advice do I have?

Install a POC unit and put test machines on it. That is the best way to see what it can do, and it is *very easy* to install/remove.

Fig 1: Typical Monday morning in the primary datacenter on Tintri T-850. The space savings (x1.9) means that we are getting nearly twice as much value out of the Tintri than standard storage.

Fig 2: IO changes between Sunday and Monday performance not changed by the increase in IOPS:

Information Systems Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's reduced disc latencies in our ERP system from 300-400ms to nanoseconds.

What is most valuable?

There's virtually no management required. There's also no disc latency with each VM having its own I/O lane.

How has it helped my organization?

It's reduced disc latencies in our ERP system from 300-400ms to nanoseconds. It's also freed up daily management requirements for old SAN management.

What needs improvement?

Replication between two VMs needs to be improved to real-time. The solution also needs to have a better licensing model.

We've used it for one year.

We've encountered no issues with deployment.

It's been stable for us.

We've been able to scale it without issue.

The customer service is good.

The level of technical support is excellent.

We previously used Dell Equilogic. It was a continuous management headache with very high latency. Tintri is much easier to manage -- there's virtually none -- and the latency is only in the nanoseconds.

The initial setup was easy. This tool took longer to mount in-rack than to have it ready to start moving VMs to it. It was a very easy configuration.

The implementation was done in-house.

Price is reasonable considering performance and time saved in managing.

• Nimble
    • Pure Storage
    • Storage Craft
    • DataCore
    • EMC
    • SCALE

What other advice do I have?

Get it. You won’t be disappointed.

Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
    Integration with vSphere and centralized control are very valuable features.

What is most valuable?

Rack space, compression, ease of use, IOPS and latency performances, vSphere integration, centralized control

How has it helped my organization?

Much more time available for other project, new items to put into our catalogue to offer our customers

What needs improvement?

Integration with Commvault for native storage snapshots

1 month

Not at all, we had their technicians more than once at our sites, to explain and to install the boxes, at no extra cost.

Not yet, and I don't expect.

Well, this is one of the most important points: 1 rack for almost 1 PB!

Great. More than great. Reactive, no, proactive, via autosupport.

As explained above: wonderful.

Yes, we had NetApp FAS: switched because of performance but, worst at all, support cost after the first 3 years. Unsusteinable and with no justification

It's been smooth, asked for a couple of ports from our network guys, installed the needed SFP-- et voilà.

It was directly contacted Tintri Europe, and we were assisted by Zycko Italia. Nice support

Not my field

The cost could be the same as traditional vendors, but the product is totally superior.

Yes, all traditional ones from NetApp, to EMC, to HP and Huawei.

MSP
    It offers per-VM queuing, QoS, and most importantly was designed specifically for virtualization.
    For the original Tintri Does "IT" Better review, visit https://tactsol.com/tintri-does-it-better/ IT Challenges: Recently I had been trying to solve a problem with latency in a Microsoft 2012 R2 RDSH environment hosted on NetApp FAS storage and vSphere 5.5 Enterprise Plus. Storage was fast in terms of hard drive standards using 15k RPM SAS drives, and latency on the aggregate and volumes was relatively low. Although when connecting to RDSH any amount of latency is very noticeable. NetApp has two different types of Flash technology to make use of intelligent caching. One is called Flash Cache which are PCIe cards that fit directly into the NetApp controllers and provide improved “read” performance. Flash Cache is a very good idea, but based on my…

IT Challenges:

NetApp has two different types of Flash technology to make use of intelligent caching. One is called Flash Cache which are PCIe cards that fit directly into the NetApp controllers and provide improved “read” performance. Flash Cache is a very good idea, but based on my metrics; I was seeing about 50/50 split between read and write latency. Another technology that NetApp offers is called Flash Pool and unlike Flash Cache, both read and writes can be cached on the Flash Pool SSDs. I went ahead and procured a brand new disk shelf with a combination of 10k RPM SAS drives and SSDs. The disk shelf was configured as a hybrid aggregate to take advantage of NetApp’s Flash Pool. Initial testing and benchmarking proved to have increased performance and lower latency. Once I was satisfied, I proceeded to Storage vMotion the RDSH environment to the new datastore. Users saw a much-improved performance at first, but as the environment grew and more VMs were added to this datastore, the latency increased and performance dropped.

Another idea that was new to vSphere 5.5 is the vSphere Flash Read Cache (vFRC). This seemed like a possible solution to at least reduce some of the read latency and was worth a shot. I went with a single 200 GB SSD for each ESXi host to keep the cost down since this is a new vSphere feature that we had not tested yet. Initial tests showed improvement and two Virtual Machines were upgraded to VM Version 10 and vFRC enabled. Soon afterwards I started seeing issues with Veeam backups either failing or VM Snapshots constantly needing consolidation. This was before Veeam v8 that has NetApp integration and the ability to take storage snapshots. After working with VMware and Veeam and not being able to find a resolution, I was forced to disabled vFRC.

Tintri Does “IT” Better

When it comes to high-performance flash storage, there are a lot of players in the market. It was no surprise to hear vendors tell me that an “All-Flash” array was necessary for my type of workload. While All-Flash would indeed solve the challenge I was having, was it the appropriate solution and does it make sense from a cost versus performance standpoint? The short answer was no. In this situation, a “Hybrid-Flash” array made the most sense. But you may be saying to yourself, we just spoke about NetApp’s hybrid solution that did not work out. So what makes Tintri different? Well, just about everything.

Let me just say, this is not Tintri versus NetApp. This is Tintri versus aging storage technologies that have seen very limited improvements over the years. These traditional storage arrays use file systems that were designed long before virtualization hit the market, and the same file systems are still used today. Tintri, on the other hand, has a brand new file system that was created from the ground up, offers per-VM queuing, QoS, and most importantly was designed specifically for virtualization. One of the reasons I learned about Tintri was from looking into VMware VVols for more VM-level management at the storage layer. Unfortunately, VVols is still in its infancy, and Tintri created VM-aware storage several years before the release of VVols.

But it is not just about who came up with the idea of VM-level management first. It is about how each technology was designed and implemented. As I said before, Tintri was built from the ground up and is purpose-built for virtualized environments. VVols is just an API and does not change the underlying storage architecture. Point being, not all storage systems are created equal and traditional storage systems cannot deliver such VM-level data services as they don’t fundamentally understand VMs and vDisks.

Enough with the comparisons. You just want to know how well the Tintri VMstore performs, and I can tell you it performs great! The RDSH environment that experienced latency now lives on a Tintri VMstore T820. Latency is consistently sub-millisecond, and the flash hit ratio is always 99-100%. The performance with the RDSH environment is so much improved that I can work more quickly when logging into the RDS Farm when compared to using my local laptop. But Tintri is not just an RDS or VDI solution. It works great with all types of workloads whether it be websites, databases, Exchange, and much more. If you are looking to increase performance and save money in your virtualized infrastructure, then you need to check out Tintri.

For more information about Tintri’s unique Operating System, visit https://www.tintri.com/resources/productinformatio...

it_user256836
    Enterprise Architech at UC Irvine
    The hybrid flash is fast with low latency, but we didn't get the expected data compression ratios in deployment.

What is most valuable?

Speed - the hybrid flash has low latency even at high bandwidth.

Performance Metrics - the ability to see which VM is having issues in now only 3 clicks away.

How has it helped my organization?

Since our purchase Tintri has added QoS. While that works great the vmstores are so good at eliminating noisy neighbor issues we have not had to use it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration of the Tintri features directly into vSphere. Some of this is an extensibility issue in vSphere. They need to keep improving single pane of glass management across many Tintri units and not just monitoring of all units. They are making progress on both of these issues.

9 months

We do not get the expected data compression ratios. This has been true for all data-dupe/compression technologies.

No. I can perform OS upgrades during the day. The active-passive architecture switches so fast the upgrade causes no issues.

Scalability is just an add-more proposition. It is easy and the units come essentially in small, medium, and large.

They have been very responsive to all questions and tickets.

They have been responsive and helpful.

We were using NetApp FAS3240. They are older models and too slow. Their OnCommand Balance product never lived up to expected monitoring.

Setup is easy. The storage is only for virtualization so it is ready to go. Add some basic configuration information, add the datastore, move VMs. No knobs to turn to tune it in.

We implemented this in house. One shouldn't need a team to setup a Tintri.

How do you value a trouble free solution that works and provides metrics you cannot get anywhere else?

It is nice that we can add encryption later if we need it. It is so common to need encrypting disks with initial purchase to get this feature.

What other advice do I have?

Get a POC. The time it takes to setup and test is so minimal.

Information Systems Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    With it, we no longer carve LUNs and hunt down latencies, but weight could be reduced for easier installation into the rack.

What is most valuable?

Flash utilization - disk latencies are dropped from 15 - 400ms for our ERP software to 1ns!

Management interface - gives visualization into each VM, making it very easy to pinpoint a problem in the environment.

Automated support - we had a power supply fail and it automatically opened a support ticket, a new power supply arrived the next morning, and, upon replacing the power supply, the ticket automatically closed.

How has it helped my organization?

The end users have noticed a vast improvement in performance with our ERP solution. VDI performance is excellent too, helping us in getting the users to adopt VDI.

For IT - we no longer have to worry about carving LUNs and hunting down latencies. We don't have to worry about storage any more and have time to focus on other initiatives.

What needs improvement?

Reduce the weight of the box so it's not such a bear to install in the rack. (More of a joke because I can't think of any improvements that can be made for performance and to the management interface.)

8 months

It took us longer to mount the T620 in the rack than it did to setup and deploy.

None

None

Excellent

Excellent

Dell Equalogic, EMC

EMC was at end of life and support costs were going through the roof. Equalogic performance was failing to meet our needs.

Very easy. It took longer to mount it in the rack than it took to setup.

In-house

We looked at Nimble, Scale, EMC, Nutanix, Equalogic. Software solutions: Infinio, DataCore, Conducive

What other advice do I have?

Tintri has been an excellent choice for us and the performance has gone way beyond our expectations. We are very pleased with Tintri and highly recommend it.

Systemkonsult

What is most valuable?

Excellent performance

Easy installation

Simple/almost no administration

Total Control over latency from hypervisor to storage

How has it helped my organization?

We´re saving a lot of time and Money due to the lack of complexity.

Instead of focusing on separate parts of the infrastructure like storage, we can focus on the VMs and the applications running in them.

3 months

Tintri has excellent and devoted support personnel. 10/10

Earlier we used NetApp, but spent a lot of time managing volumes and tuning the system. We also got complaints mainly from clients running SQL Server that response times were very slow. Those issues were really difficult to troubleshoot. Not anymore!

Really simple. Just rack the box and insert network cables, assign ip-adresses, mount the one single datastore on your vmware hosts and GO!

We compared the Tintri solution with a newer NetApp investment with flash pool.

We found that we could upgrade primary storage in both our datacenters to the price of one NetApp installation.

What other advice do I have?

The performance is great and management really easy. Don´t stare blindly on dedup number. You get the largest dedup effect in test/dev or VDI Environments, in regular server environments that effect will be rather small, BUT you always get a great compression ratio.

IT Manager with 51-200 employees
    The compression / deduplication numbers they advertise are probably accurate for a pure-VDI environment. In a mixed-workload environment, you numbers will definitely vary.

What is most valuable?

The insight into details such as latency at the VM level (disk, host, and network) is unmatched. At a quick glance you can significantly cut down troubleshooting time and quickly identify bottlenecks.

How has it helped my organization?

Almost no time is spent on maintaining storage. Since LUNs are no longer part of the storage infrastructure, there is no need to worry about performance, LUNs filling up, or optimizing snapshots.

What needs improvement?

None come to mind; the unit was a breeze to setup and I haven't come across any sort of setup issues at all.

Excellent.

Excellent.

We were using a NetApp, however its performance was severely lacking and we required a larger storage footprint.

Extremely simple - you are prompted for a management IP to get things going, and then via a web GUI you can add your vCenter hosts. After you add the datastores to your hosts, you are done - not paritioning, no RAID groups, etc.

Implemented in-house.

We were considering options from NetApp, Dell, HP, and Nutanix.

MSP

What is most valuable?

Performance of flash at a much lower cost.

How has it helped my organization?

No longer need to manage LUNs and reclaim space. No need to worry about performance degrading when capacity exceeds 80%. Space savings is great.

1 month

No, the deployment was very quick and easy to setup.

Never any stability issues. Even OS upgrade is simply and can be done during production hours.

Great customer service!

Haven't had the need for technical support.

We have been using NetApp for several years and made the switch for increased performance. The performance of the T820 exceed that of our NetApp FAS8040 with 46x 10k RPM drives with 5x SSD drives for Flash Pool.

Initial setup was very easy. Just fill in some information including IP addresses, jumbo frames, LACP, and you are good to go.

TBD, but had we purchased the Tintri prior to spending money on NetApp there would have been a huge cost savings.

Pricing is great, especially for what you are getting. The closest competitor I would match Tintri too as far as performance vs price is Nimble and I am glad we purchased Tintri.

Primarily looked at Nimble, but also considered SolidFire and Tegile.

What other advice do I have?

Look at where datacenters and virtualization are going. Many people consider "Software Defined" as simply a buzzword, but the truth is software is driving the datacenter. With Tintri you can save on compute resources by taking advantage of their VM-aware Storage. I honestly stumbled upon Tintri when I was looking into VVOLs with vSphere 6.0 and our NetApp. After lots of research it was apparent that VVOLs is not ready for prime-time and Tintri does A LOT more than what VVOLs can accomplish. Plus it was clear that VMware was simply taking the direction that Tintri already had a solution to. I couldn't be happier with the decision we made to invest in Tintri and our customers are much happier too.

Senior IT Infrastructure Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    After evaluating Tintri and other vendors, we found that Tintri was a better fit for us.

Valuable Features

All of them. Tintri Snapshot, vCenter integration, powerCLI integration, the way you manage everything. Bye Bye time spent on managing storage arrays etc.

Room for Improvement

Bye bye managing storage array, to create volumes and taking care to isolate big IO consumers into the production environment. Huge improvement in creating adhoc labs, pre-prod environments and dev as well, in just few minutes, etc.

Use of Solution

More than 3 years

Easy and fast to deploy.

Excellent!

Excellent!

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, we had to chose between Tintri and other vendor, we bought each of them and after running our tests we decided that Tintri fits best for us.

Other Advice

I definitely recommend Tintri as a storage array.

Head of I.T. with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

The administrative interface is excellent. Being able to see exactly what is happening within our VM network takes the guess work out of troubleshooting and makes management tasks an absolute breeze.

How has it helped my organization?

Implementing Tintri gave an immediate speed boost to our computer systems. This was very welcome to the staff because their desktop computers responded quicker, reports ran faster, and user satisfaction hit an all time high.

This transitioned our I.T. systems from being a 'burden' to being a trusted and dependable source of information.

1.5 years

No - very fast deployment and Tintri's knowledgeable engineers helped us get our units connected and running in less than one hour.

This is a really well thought through product.

Out of the six controllers we have deployed one card failed after a week. The affected system did not degrade in performance in any way and Tintri had a replacement controller out to me for a rapid changeout. I can not speak highly enough of how well the guys tackled the situation and the whole experience had zero impact on our regular computer operations.

Tintri's own OS upgrades are also super stable and applying firmware updates is a total non-event.

In my view Tintri's customer service is excellent, I am in regular contact with various folks throughout their organisation even though we have not had one problem.

Very good. Tintri seems to attract high quality and experienced talent to their team. They are also always available whenever we reach out.

Yes, our network storage was on Netapp / IBM N series. It was a great system when we first implemented our virtualised environment back in 2007, however the performance of the system and design ethos did not suit the workload we wanted to put to it. For us, business evolved and system user demands increased. We needed to move out of the space of just having network storage and move into the space of having high performance and flexible network storage.

As I indicated earlier the initial setup was very straight forward. Tintri have a setup guide that gives admin's a planning checklist to ensure that your install works right from the get go.

In-house with support from Tintri's own systems engineers.

Yes, we ran an evaluation and virtual beauty parade of Tegile, Netapp, HP, Hitachi, Dell, EMC. Tintri was the clear winner for us.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone looking at buying enterprise storage, take a good look at the market place, there are a lot of options out there. I did the same and found that Tintri was a clear leader in the space and would give me the performance and benefits I was looking for.

Versatile solution with multiple uses.

Valuable Features

Tintri is amazingly powerful storage solutions packaged into a 4u unit. It is an extremely versatile solution with multiple uses. It currently handles a lot of our virtualisation systems and we love the quick setup (30 minutes), intuitive admin/monitoring page and amazing support. It is a great system.

Room for Improvement

They should keep up the great innovation and good work.

Use of Solution

4 years

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No. We're onto our 4th unit.

Customer Service: 10 out of 10 Technical Support: 10 out of 10

It is a great system.

Room for Improvement

They should keep up the great innovation and good work.

Use of Solution

4 years

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No. We're onto our 4th unit.

10 out of 10

10 out of 10

Senior Systems Engineer, Virtualization at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Traditionally it is very hard to troubleshoot perceived storage performance issues of a single VM when it's on a shared LUN with other VMs. Tintri allows us to do so.

Valuable Features:

Compression and the Tintri UI in general. Very easy to see what VMs are consuming the most amount of resources and where the latency is (host, network, storage).

Improvements to My Organization:

Much less storage management than both of out other SANs. Traditionally it's very hard to troubleshoot perceived storage performance issues of a single VM when it's on a shared LUN with other VMs; with Tintri it's a snap.

Room for Improvement:

Not a fan of SyncVM being an addition license. Dedupe is only at the clone level; no overall dedupe process.

Use of Solution:

6 Months

Deployment Issues:

None. This storage appliance is a breeze to install and configure.

Stability Issues:

None. This is a rock solid device. We have run high workload one the device…

Room for Improvement:

Use of Solution:

6 Months

Deployment Issues:

None. This storage appliance is a breeze to install and configure.

Stability Issues:

None. This is a rock solid device. We have run high workload one the device while applying OS update on it with no issue.

Great customer service; if there is an issue they often know before I do and have a ticket already in progress.