Toad Data Modeler Overview

Toad Data Modeler is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Database Development and Management tools. It is most often compared to Oracle SQL Developer: Toad Data Modeler vs Oracle SQL Developer

What is Toad Data Modeler?

Toad Data Modeler helps you create high-quality data models. This data modeling tool enables you to easily deploy accurate changes to data structures across more than 20 different platforms.

Toad Data Modeler is also known as Toad.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

Toad Data Modeler Customers

Zions Bancorporation

Toad Data Modeler Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Rajat Wadhwani
Process Data Engineer (Subsurface and Wells) at Shell
Jan 2, 2019
All the users have the same database on the server rather than local individual databases which creates a lot of duplication

What is our primary use case?

Managing huge volumes of data efficiently and making sure everyone uses the updated database with restricted user access to take business decisions.

What other advice do I have?

Managing such huge volumes of data has become very efficient.
it_user279375
Senior Practice Director at Forsys Inc
Jan 24, 2018
It provides us with support for Oracle RAC HA, allowing us to manage and maintain our database health.

What is our primary use case?

Business High Availability to maintain customer 99.99 SLA metrics to meet and demand for scalable, consistent performance

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product every database admin and developer must have toolset.
Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, IDERA, Oracle and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: March 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user738687
Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Sep 18, 2017
IDE is slow and buggy, Autocomplete being especially bad

What is most valuable?

Running queries, because that's kinda important.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't.

What needs improvement?

The IDE is slow and, now, very buggy, Autocomplete being especially bad.

Years.

Lots.

Probably, but that's a big question.

Poor.

Yes. I switched because SQL Developer was still in its infancy.

Complex. Despite requiring a key which only allows specific features, the installer still asks you to select all the features (from a big list),…
KeremDoğan
Senior Software Developer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 12, 2017
Whatever database issues I have, I use this product to solve them
it_user499689
Data Warehouse Developer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 31, 2016
It has a lot of components all in one tool. You don’t need to open or use other apps or the command line.
it_user323601
Sr Program Manager/Data Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Oct 6, 2015
With it, we're able to import data from various sources. However, reverse engineering the physical schema and complex scheme diagrams could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Look for comparatively ETL tools available in market and you pick the one which suits your needs.
it_user285066
Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 4, 2015
I'm able to develop the back-end database functionality and look up schema information during design meetings, but there were a couple of minor issues with scripts and memory errors.

How has it helped my organization?

I am able to develop the back-end database functionality and look up schema information when we are having design meetings. It really is the software that we are developing/maintaining that is the improvement for the business.

What needs improvement?

Better documentation would be a benefit.

I’ve used Toad for most of the last seven years, but that really doesn’t make me an expert by any means.

No issues encountered.

Generally no, although I have had a couple minor issues with large scripts and memory errors.

No issues encountered. …
it_user277944
System Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 26, 2015
It collects SQL database data and the GUI interface allows pulling queries and creating links between tables, but I can't compare it to similar solutions as I've only used this one.

What other advice do I have?

See if the program features meet your task, do so with competitive pricing and their history of quality customer / technical service provided.
it_user277041
Director of Information Technology at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 26, 2015
Multiple nested queries take a long time to run, but it has automated report processing.
it_user275235
Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Lead at Bank of America
Jul 21, 2015
It allows reusable queries for faster debugging, but it doesn't allow creating multiple pipes in one integrated workflow.

What other advice do I have?

For any organization looking for a clean and robust all-in-one data tool, Toad is a good product to choose. There are a lot of tools in the market that promise a lot of things, but you will not be disappointed using Toad.
it_user273741
DBA Team Lead DB2 at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 16, 2015
It crashes inexplicably at times, but it finds ADDM, AWR, and stats-pack reports very quickly.

What is most valuable?

Mostly the database administration feature.

How has it helped my organization?

Database slowness was an issue, but Toad helps us to find the ADDM, AWR and stats-pack reports very quickly. It's a cool product enriched with a lot of excellent features.

I've been using it for 10 years.

I've never had any issues.

Sometimes, Toad crashes without a clue as to why, and it needs an immediate restart.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

Which solution did I use

it_user273738
Summer Engineering Intern at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 16, 2015
Database connectivity can cause stability issues, but it has faster connectivity to databases than a SQL developer does.

Valuable Features:

Ability to save my custom queries and Macros Faster connectivity to databases than a SQL developer

Improvements to My Organization:

UI/UX can be improved according to functionality.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for eight to nine months.

Stability Issues:

There were issues due to the databases connectivity.

Initial Setup:

I worked in a pre-deployed environment.

Implementation Team:

It was done by my employer's in-house IT team.
it_user273135
Business Systems Project Leader at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Jul 15, 2015
We have the ability to run scripts of any size against databases, but there was an issue due to database access restrictions.

Valuable Features:

I find the script/text editing feature most valuable, as well as the ability to run scripts of any size against databases.

Improvements to My Organization:

It saves time by allowing automated, as opposed to manual, data entry into databases.

Use of Solution:

I have used the product for about three years in total, at two different employers.

Deployment Issues:

The issues I had in installation were due to database access restrictions.

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward from the software side.

Implementation Team:

I had the software implemented through in-house teams.

Other Advice:

It is a very good option for creating and editing SQL scripts, especially large ones that I have run in support of government billing…
it_user151125
Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Sep 10, 2014
Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, IDERA, Oracle, and more!
Quick Links