Toad Data Modeler OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Toad Data Modeler?

Toad Data Modeler helps you create high-quality data models. This data modeling tool enables you to easily deploy accurate changes to data structures across more than 20 different platforms.

Toad Data Modeler is also known as Toad.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Toad Data Modeler Customers

Zions Bancorporation

Toad Data Modeler Video

Archived Toad Data Modeler Reviews (more than two years old)

Valerii Shchipanovskyi
Sales Engineer at BAKOTECH LLC
Excellent functionality with great tools for database architecture

• "Many users don't know how to add licensing to Toad, or where it is shown, so they could make that easier."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for support.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the database architecture, the good functionality, and the user interface.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for three years.

The software is very stable.

I'm not a database administrator, so I'm not sure about this aspect of the solution. I understand that Toad can take on about 600 licenses.

The initial setup of the solution is complex. Deployment involves an EXE file and you choose your operating system and click-through, so that part of the user installation is easy. It takes a few hours.

What other advice do I have?

I don't work with Toad, I support Toad because I work in a distributor company. I deal mostly with the on-premises version of the solution.

I would recommend Toad but I think it would be a better solution if it had one platform or if it was an all-in-one tool.

I would rate this solution nine out of ten. I'd rate it higher, but right now, for example, if I want to work with the database I must load Toad for Oracle or Toad for MySQL, etc. But if I want to work with the Toad Modeler, I don't want another Toad installation. If there was a one-stop solution, it would be a ten.

Rajat Wadhwani
    Process Data Engineer (Subsurface and Wells) at Shell
    All the users have the same database on the server rather than local individual databases which creates a lot of duplication

What is our primary use case?

Managing huge volumes of data efficiently and making sure everyone uses the updated database with restricted user access to take business decisions.

How has it helped my organization?

With Toad, all the users have the same database on the server rather than local individual databases which creates a lot of duplication. It also enables great security over who can see the data.

What is most valuable?

SQLBuilder really helps to play with the data and develop SQL queries to extract data from huge databases as per the requirement.

What needs improvement?

A platform to code in Python would be really helpful as Python is becoming very well integrated with other platforms.

It's quite stable but takes a bit of a time to run SQL queries if the database is huge.

It can be used company-wide with hundreds of thousands of records.

Has great support for any technical hiccups.

Microsoft Access was used before jumping to Toad which created a lot of issues as there was no common database and everyone used their own local database.

It is pretty straightforward, and they have very helpful documentation for the same.

In-house team.

A few months.

Cost is very minimal for the license as compared to the value it generates for the organization.

What other advice do I have?

Managing such huge volumes of data has become very efficient.

Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, IDERA, Oracle and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: October 2021.
    541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Practice Director at Forsys Inc
    It provides us with support for Oracle RAC HA, allowing us to manage and maintain our database health.

What is our primary use case?

Business High Availability to maintain customer 99.99 SLA metrics to meet and demand for scalable, consistent performance

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with support for Oracle RAC, allowing us to manage and maintain our database health. We used this product in trial edition to check RAC support with Oracle 12c Database, and it has given great results and we will recommend this option for all our new clients

What is most valuable?

Its compatibility with Windows 10 is the most valuable feature for me. This is because all new laptops and news users will be upgrading Windows to 10, and compatibility and stability is mandatory to use the product

What needs improvement?

The reporting feature need to enhanced. They also need to enhance big data features in the next release.

More than five years.

Great

Indeed Yes

In house

200%

The pricing is a little expensive. Toad needs to offer more competitive pricing to have more adoption.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product every database admin and developer must have toolset.

it_user738687
    Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    IDE is slow and buggy, Autocomplete being especially bad

What is most valuable?

Running queries, because that's kinda important.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't.

What needs improvement?

The IDE is slow and, now, very buggy, Autocomplete being especially bad.

Years.

Lots.

Probably, but that's a big question.

Poor.

Yes. I switched because SQL Developer was still in its infancy.

What is most valuable?

Running queries, because that's kinda important.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't.

What needs improvement?

The IDE is slow and, now, very buggy, Autocomplete being especially bad.

Years.

Lots.

Probably, but that's a big question.

Poor.

Yes. I switched because SQL Developer was still in its infancy.

Complex. Despite requiring a key which only allows specific features, the installer still asks you to select all the features (from a big list), instead of hiding what you cannot have.

It's way overpriced, even if it wasn't the buggy product it has become. Honestly, Toad for Oracle needs to die; SQL Developer is much better than it was.

Yes, SQL Developer, Tora, SQL Plus.

What other advice do I have?

Don't, really don't.

KeremDoğan
    Senior Software Developer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Whatever database issues I have, I use this product to solve them

What is most valuable?

This product is fast to learn and a user-friendly tool. It's most valuable to me because of its great shortcuts. It really helps on development time. You can even define some quick assist codes and prefixes. Also, you can use this tool for comparing files, debugging, FTP file transfer, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Whatever database issues I have faced, I have solved them with the Quest Toad product.

What needs improvement?

Maybe it could be optimized by using less RAM memory. Also, this product may have stability issues.

I have been using different versions of Toad since 2010. I've been using this version since March 2017.

Yes, I have still been facing some issues. Currently, with Windows 10, it sometimes would get stuck and stop responding. I am guessing it is something about the RAM usage. When this happens, I have to open task manager/stop process and it is frustrating because you might lose some uncompiled DB objects code.

I have worked with this product on Oracle 9i, 10g, and 11g. My operating system is Windows. It was fun to work with them. I don't know about Oracle 12c or running it on a Linux platform.

I haven't asked for technical support before this, but Toad user forums show good solutions and tips for the product.

I have tried Oracle SQL Developer before, but I prefer to use Toad. It really is faster to build solutions with Toad.

It is straightforward. Initial setup requires an Oracle Client installed on the machine. Other than that, it's nowhere near complex.

I'm a developer and don't know much about pricing. The license is on our company, but I guess it's the most expensive database IDE.

Just tried Oracle SQL Developer and Toad for Oracle. I would definitely choose Toad.

it_user499689
    Data Warehouse Developer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has a lot of components all in one tool. You don’t need to open or use other apps or the command line.

What is most valuable?

This is our main SQL tool; everything is there and makes it efficient and easy to perform the needed tasks on the database. I have it open every day.

How has it helped my organization?

TOAD makes it easy to code and compile stored procedures. It is easy to find and edit code, and offers the ability to debug and test. It is a great tool that saves a lot of time. The real advantage is that it has a lot of components all in one tool, and you don’t need to open or use other apps or the command line.

What needs improvement?

The one thing about it is that there are almost too many features and options; some we don’t even use. It can be overwhelming at first, but once the initial learning curve is over, it is not bad.

For example, we don’t use the automation designer or the query builder.
    Query builder is a graphical interface to build SQL (drag and drop), but once you have good skills at writing in the editor, it is much faster and you have more control than with the query builder.

I have been using it for the last five years.

I rarely encountered any stability issues; it is very stable.

I didn’t encounter any scalability issues at all.

Technical support is excellent, very responsive. They have a great online and built-in technical help, and manuals as well.

I had a question on a thread setting and had a very positive experience.
    I was not able to find anything on this setting in the online help, so I opened a case and was able to get all the details needed.

Prior to TOAD, we had to use many other apps for testing, compiling code or even the Oracle command line. TOAD eliminates the need to open or use other tools.

it_user323601
    Sr Program Manager/Data Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    With it, we're able to import data from various sources. However, reverse engineering the physical schema and complex scheme diagrams could be improved.

What is most valuable?

• Data comparison
    • Imports from various sources

What needs improvement?

Reverse engineering the physical schema is complex and can be made easier. Schema diagrams which depict relationship is clumsy when the schema is complex. Presenting the complex schema in Toad with clear relationship between tables, etc.

I've used it for over six years.

Just some minor niggling issues.

9/10

9/10

I've used Toad from the beginning.

It wasn't complex.

We did it in-house.

We should be able to do it within two to three months.

It depends on your requirements and number of users.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Look for comparatively ETL tools available in market and you pick the one which suits your needs.

it_user285066
    Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    I'm able to develop the back-end database functionality and look up schema information during design meetings, but there were a couple of minor issues with scripts and memory errors.

How has it helped my organization?

I am able to develop the back-end database functionality and look up schema information when we are having design meetings. It really is the software that we are developing/maintaining that is the improvement for the business.

What needs improvement?

Better documentation would be a benefit.

I’ve used Toad for most of the last seven years, but that really doesn’t make me an expert by any means.

No issues encountered.

Generally no, although I have had a couple minor issues with large scripts and memory errors.

No issues encountered. …

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Better documentation would be a benefit.

I haven't had to use it.

I haven't had to use it.

No previous solution was used.

The only hassle was the EUA process.

In-house, via an EUA request, and we used a software center to install.

I don't know the financials, but I wouldn’t be able to do my job (build applications/databases) without it.

What other advice do I have?

It works well for Oracle design and development.

System Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It collects SQL database data and the GUI interface allows pulling queries and creating links between tables, but I can't compare it to similar solutions as I've only used this one.

What is most valuable?

It was immensely helpful in collecting SQL database data, especially as I am not a database admin/engineer. Also, the GUI interface has good ease of use for pulling queries and creating links between tables to pull specific server information in a timely manner for someone who may not have database experience.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us a better look at the big picture of the state of our server environment.

What needs improvement?

I've not used a product that I could compare it with.

I used it for a month.

The program did not crash or have other intermittent problems or issues. It worked as expected.

The program worked flawlessly whether pulling information for 10 or 1000 servers.

I didn't need to contact them.

I didn't need to contact them.

This is the only solution I've used.

Corporate standard installation process was as expected and went smoothly. It was a standard windows client installation, which connected without issues to our asset management database on the mainframe.

We did an in-house standard corporate windows client application installation.

I was not involved in the purchase agreement, from a personal point of view, a good working tool is well worth it if priced competitively.

I did not. My role was as an end user, not of evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

See if the program features meet your task, do so with competitive pricing and their history of quality customer / technical service provided.

it_user277041
    Director of Information Technology at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Multiple nested queries take a long time to run, but it has automated report processing.

What is most valuable?

• Report/Query automation
    • Cross database queries
    • Ability to query multiple data sets

How has it helped my organization?

• It's moved us away from MS Access.
    • Automated report processing

What needs improvement?

We sometimes have issues with multiple nested queries. They take a long time to run, and it would be nice to have them run faster.

I've used it for seven years.

It was a bit tedious to set up the computers that run the software. We needed to download Oracle thin client, and set up computer variables. It took a while to do so.

It's very good.

From Good to very good, depending on who you get to help you.

MS Access. We switched because we were accessing an Oracle DB in the cloud with lots of data. Access needed to download the data in order to process queries which ended up either taking forever or not working at all. Toad allowed us to run the query on the cloud DB and, return data from the query. Made things much faster.

It was a bit tedious to set up the computers that run the software. We needed to download Oracle thin client and set up computer variables. Took a while to do so.

We did it in-house.

Each license costs a bit of money, and you need to purchase maintenance for each license in order to get updates and use tech support.

• MS Access
    • Crystal Reports
    Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Lead at Bank of America
    It allows reusable queries for faster debugging, but it doesn't allow creating multiple pipes in one integrated workflow.

What is most valuable?

To begin with, it’s got a simple to use yet robust GUI. It’s so easy to connect to any database, and it can connect to heterogeneous DB’s including flat-files.

Querying could not be any easier (Query Builder), as well as learning an optimistic way of writing a query that is generated after selection from simple drag and drop. The wide variety of selections it offers, from data analysis, entity relationships, highlighting reserved words to help understand the query easily, drop-down to pick tables, column names, and explaining the plan for performance tuning the Query and many more are also valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We used it extensively for data profiling, database management, data modelling, and data quality checks, apart from few other features. So, every time we needed to debug error in data, Toad proved extensively handy. Reusable queries help in faster debugging, and the data management has saved us a lot of time and money.

What needs improvement?

Although a lot of people get deceived by the name “Data Analysis”, it has capacity of any enterprise tool, but not to the point of creating multiple pipes in one integrated work-flow, batching the work-flows and running them parallel for data loads.

I've used it for about three years.

I did not use Toad for any code or data deployment.

No. It is a very stable and high capacity tool. At one point, I could have 10 query windows open and would be connected to three databases at the same time, and not have a sign of instability.

No. Toad can handle large volumes of data with ease, helps maneuver around result data sets by click of mouse and it’s instantaneous with results.

Personally I have never had the need to call customer service. Most of the features I used were self-explanatory, and so understanding it was very easy.

I have not had the need to call tech support either. I've never had any issues that required approaching Toad tech support, but I’m sure given the reputation, it must be good. Even if there was a problem, the error log is pretty simple to understand, and figure out what caused the problem.

I used SwisSQL data migration 5.0 and Oracle Developer. I wanted to connect to different databases, and be able to query across them, and Toad was perfect for that.

It was extremely easy to install, and once installed, I just needed a few things to connect to database, and I was all set. Very efficient tool.

It was done in-house. I used it in two different organizations, and both places had it already set up.

Toad is 100% value for money product. Especially for the features it offers vs. the price, it is totally worth it.

If I have to manage a data warehouse project, Toad would be my first pick given the pricing it offers for the features. And, from a start-up to a large scale company, from five to 100 licenses, the pricing is a golden bargain.

• i-Series Navigator
    • Oracle Developer
    • SQL Plus
    • SQL Pro

What other advice do I have?

For any organization looking for a clean and robust all-in-one data tool, Toad is a good product to choose. There are a lot of tools in the market that promise a lot of things, but you will not be disappointed using Toad.

it_user273741
    DBA Team Lead DB2 at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It crashes inexplicably at times, but it finds ADDM, AWR, and stats-pack reports very quickly.

What is most valuable?

Mostly the database administration feature.

How has it helped my organization?

Database slowness was an issue, but Toad helps us to find the ADDM, AWR and stats-pack reports very quickly. It's a cool product enriched with a lot of excellent features.

I've been using it for 10 years.

I've never had any issues.

Sometimes, Toad crashes without a clue as to why, and it needs an immediate restart.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

Which solution did I use

What is most valuable?

Mostly the database administration feature.

How has it helped my organization?

I've been using it for 10 years.

I've never had any issues.

8/10.

8/10.

We started with Toad, and stayed with it.

It was very simple.

It's very straightforward.

100%.

It's a must-buy, and both pricing and licensing is well in the range of every organization.

Among others, we looked at SQLDeveloper and FogLight.

What other advice do I have?

You should implement this product.

it_user273738
    Summer Engineering Intern at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Database connectivity can cause stability issues, but it has faster connectivity to databases than a SQL developer does.

Valuable Features:

Ability to save my custom queries and Macros Faster connectivity to databases than a SQL developer

Improvements to My Organization:

UI/UX can be improved according to functionality.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for eight to nine months.

Stability Issues:

There were issues due to the databases connectivity.

Initial Setup:

I worked in a pre-deployed environment.

Implementation Team:

It was done by my employer's in-house IT team.

Valuable Features:

• Ability to save my custom queries and Macros
    • Faster connectivity to databases than a SQL developer

Improvements to My Organization:

UI/UX can be improved according to functionality.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for eight to nine months.

Stability Issues:

There were issues due to the databases connectivity.

Initial Setup:

I worked in a pre-deployed environment.

Implementation Team:

It was done by my employer's in-house IT team.

Business Systems Project Leader at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
    We have the ability to run scripts of any size against databases, but there was an issue due to database access restrictions.

Valuable Features:

I find the script/text editing feature most valuable, as well as the ability to run scripts of any size against databases.

Improvements to My Organization:

It saves time by allowing automated, as opposed to manual, data entry into databases.

Use of Solution:

I have used the product for about three years in total, at two different employers.

Deployment Issues:

The issues I had in installation were due to database access restrictions.

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward from the software side.

Implementation Team:

I had the software implemented through in-house teams.

Other Advice:

Deployment Issues:

The issues I had in installation were due to database access restrictions.

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward from the software side.

Implementation Team:

I had the software implemented through in-house teams.

Other Advice:

It is a very good option for creating and editing SQL scripts, especially large ones that I have run in support of government billing applications.

Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Best tool to work with Oracle

What is most valuable?

1. Horizontal layout for each connected database connection
    2. Easy way to generate statements for select,insert and update
    3. Easily identify the locks on the table and processes running on the database and their source information
    4. It is easy to Explain plan
    5. It is easy to optimize the query using optimizer
    6. Table import and export are easy
    7. Formatting of sql also makes it easy to read

What needs improvement?

1. Toad crashes sometimes and it will lose all the saved database information
    2. We cannot the execute SQL, offline easily (If you are creating a MV and if you shut down your laptop it won't create it)

I have used it for more than 5 years

I have worked with sql developer before and it not easy to work with

It is straight forward if you have Tnsnames entries located correctly

In house

Sql developer
    Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, IDERA, Oracle, and more!