Toad for Oracle OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Toad for Oracle is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top Database Development and Management tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Enterprise Manager: Toad for Oracle vs Oracle Enterprise Manager

What is Toad for Oracle?

With Toad for Oracle, you'll reduce costs and risks by easily ensuring the health and performance of your Oracle Cloud Platform and on-premises databases. ... On the operations side, you can automate administration tasks and proactively manage your databases while embracing performance optimization and risk mitigation.

Toad for Oracle Buyer's Guide

Download the Toad for Oracle Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Toad for Oracle Customers
intel, ebay, uber, mars, microsoft
Toad for Oracle Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Toad for Oracle pricing:
  • "My advice is to try to use the three-year maintenance agreement if possible."
  • "The professional edition is about $1,000 AUD ($700 USD) and the developer version is about twice that much."
  • "In my opinion, this solution is a little expensive, but I understand that good programs cost more money."

Toad for Oracle Reviews

Bryan Wrench
Software Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
User
Great PL/SQL debugger and "Make Code" feature with technical support that goes above and beyond

• "A quite simple feature that I have not encountered elsewhere is the "Make Code" feature. I can easily export a complex SQL statement to a programming language. This is a great timesaver as I do not have to type in all of the escape/concatenation characters just to create a SQL statement in C# or C++."
  • "Once in a while, I may encounter a memory exception and have to abort the application. On a few occasions, the file that stores the saved connections for the New Connection window will become corrupt and I will lose all of my saved connections. I am not sure if that is a Windows or TOAD issue, but it has happened to all of my developers at some point or another."

What is our primary use case?

I use TOAD for all Oracle database management and development. I've also purchased it for our developers. The resource time I save by purchasing TOAD for my developers easily offsets the cost.

We are a smaller software company and maintain an Oracle database to test new releases. We do database administration, design, and development.

Database management includes tablespaces, data files, rebuilding indexes, tables, analyzing tables, and schema comparison.

PL/SQL development includes creating and maintaining packages.

SQL includes data queries and editing.

How has it helped my organization?

TOAD saves many hours of work by simplifying the redundant maintenance tasks for databases. We attempted to use SQL Developer a few times, but It is not as user-friendly. It seems TOAD was created to make an Oracle Developer's/Admin's life as easy as possible.

Specifically, it helps with:

• Schema comparison and promotion scripts
  • Rebuilding table scripts (very helpful when an existing table has been altered and needs promoting)
  • Debugging/Analyzing connected sessions and current SQL

It has a Schema Browser that provides all needed data in a clear and accessible way. This helps our software engineers who are not Oracle experts with the dictionary tables

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is honestly that so many features are packed into a single software package. TOAD is one of only a few applications that I have not had to complement with additional software or "add-ons".

The PL/SQL debugger is fantastic and has been a huge time-saver.

This is not a "software" feature, however, I have contacted Quest when a version had a very specific bug that was affecting my team. They scheduled a meeting to review the issue pretty quickly and I spoke to several knowledgeable people. They had already implemented a fix, communicated when the release would be available, and provided me with a beta version to hold me over until the official release. The level of service they provided was astounding.

What needs improvement?

I honestly cannot think of any at the moment. I am sure there are some, however, I use it every day. Any issues tend to be few and far between. Once in a while, I may encounter a memory exception and have to abort the application. On a few occasions, the file that stores the saved connections for the New Connection window will become corrupt and I will lose all of my saved connections. I am not sure if that is a Windows or TOAD issue, but it has happened to all of my developers at some point or another. The incident rate is only about once every 6 months, so that makes it more palatable.

I've been using the solution for 16 years.

The solution has been very stable.

The stability issues I have encountered have been memory exceptions which can cause the application to crash. Since I use the application intensely on a daily basis, these do not occur with enough frequency to cause disruption. The memory exceptions have reduced in likelihood with each new release. If I had to put a "rough" number I would say once every month or so.

The solution seems easily scalable. The developers that use it have no issues keeping new versions updated.

The one time I used the customer service, it was excellent. Everyone I spoke with was very knowledgeable and customer-focused. I shared that experience many times afterward because I was so impressed that there are still companies with that level of support.

I have tried SQL Developer but it was missing several "of the nice to haves" that made TOAD very convenient.

The setup was easy. I downloaded TOAD and an Oracle Client.

We handled the deployment in-house.

I do not have specific numbers, but the ROI has been positive. I want my developers to focus on logic and not on the nuances and minutia of Oracle.

If you or your team regularly develops within Oracle, the convenience and time-saving are well worth the cost. On the surface, the initial cost may seem steep. However, my thoughts are that:

1. The renewal rate is reasonable so look at the multi-year cost.
  2. If a developer saves 20 hours annually by utilizing TOAD's functionality, the software has easily paid for itself just in saved productivity alone.

No, I did not evaluate anything else prior to using TOAD.

reviewer1458423
Self Employed, Software Developer, Energy Expert at My Power Station Technology (Pty) Ltd
Good support, easy to use with a visually appealing design, and it is straightforward to set up

• "I find Toad easy to use and I love the Workspace feature, which allows me to set up projects so that I can open SQL files applicable to what I am working on at any particular time."
  • "There should also be a better "cancel query" option as sometimes one cancels a query, but then it still might run for a long time, and then one has to crash Toad in order to cancel the query."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is Oracle software development. I use Packages, Stored Procedures, Triggers, DDL, and DML. I also use it for viewing schemas, viewing sessions, table spaces, etc.

I work in Oracle versions from 12c to 19c and a single version of Toad allows me to do this. I also work in Oracle htp.p (HTML, CSS, JavaScript from inside the database) and also Oracle Apex, and I can do this with Toad too.

I work on multiple VMs and multiple clients and I can load a 64-bit Toad in one environment and a 32-bit Toad in another environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Toad is the one tool that I use almost every single day of my life. Besides Operating Systems. email applications, office tools, mind mapping, and the like.

Toad is my choice programming environment for writing Oracle applications which live in the backend.

I find Toad easy to use and I love the Workspace feature, which allows me to set up projects so that I can open SQL files applicable to what I am working on at any particular time. I've also used the debugger and optimizing tools from time to time.

I like that Toad saves me time in my work and recently I've started using the Reporting feature. It is also easy to add comments to tables and columns.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to look at the database visually, almost graphically.

Some other features that I like are:

• The ability to add ROWID to queries to allow quick updates without having to write SQL.
  • Visually appealing design.
  • Ability to view users and tasks and with DBA permission to be able to terminate sessions if required.

I also like that Toad has a one-year and a three-year maintenance license plan and upgrading for three years at a time allows one to save considerably on the license. Normally, I use the three-year option and I did this year, but last year I had a financial challenge and so only used the one-year upgrade option.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes if there's a crash, there are unsaved files that need to be recovered. Although this list is shown when you restart, I find this difficult to use.

After all these years of downloading the product, I still find the product download form a bit challenging and one needs to know to click on the Download Now checkbox so that one can download without choosing manuals, etc. I think that this form should be redesigned.

As with so many other tools and suppliers, I believe that long term users should get better maintenance pricing.

I have been using Toad for Oracle for the last 10 years.

It is very stable and fails (crashes) very seldomly. The main problem is when one wants to cancel a long-running query.

One can work with any sized database with this tool.

I only really contact my supplier when i need to upgrade. Support is good.

I started using Oracle in 1993. I can't remember what tools I used before I started using Toad.

I have colleagues who use other tools and I've looked at them. They load slowly, crash regularly, and don't have as nice a user interface as Toad. I find myself wasting time when I use other tools.

The initial setup is straightforward. Although during the last upgrade, I chose the Maintenance upgrade option instead of the full release, and the maintenance upgrade option didn't work for me.

In-house install, by me.

I don't have a quantitative measurement for this but I do know that Toad saves me time. Compared with other modern products, it allows me to do many functions in a single tool.

My advice is to try to use the three-year maintenance agreement if possible.

Per-user licensing allows me to use Toad in multiple places as long as I don't work on two at the same time

I have evaluated SQL Developer.

I've looked at this since starting to use Toad, especially last year during challenging financial times.

Learn what your peers think about Toad for Oracle. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JB
Development Department at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good UI, customization, and remote debugging capability

• "The most valuable feature is the navigation within the UI, where you can right-click on an object in an SQL query and go right to it, versus going through all of the menus to find what you are looking for."
  • "The way the dialog boxes appear can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer and I used Toad in my previous company with the Oracle database, but currently, I am using it with SQL Server. My primary use for this solution is database management.

How has it helped my organization?

Only done a trial.

What is most valuable?

I like that Toad has the ability to formulate code.

The remote debugging functionality is useful.

I like the themes that it has, such as the light theme and the dark theme. There are a huge number of options available to customize what you're doing.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be reduced. I like SQL Server Management Studio a lot so it has been hard to justify the cost for TOAD. However, if it is anything like the Oracle version, it is light years ahead.

The way the dialog boxes appear can be a little bit inconvenient. However, I am sure I will adapt - it is not a huge issue.

3 weeks

I haven't had any issues with stability. It used to be quite hungry on resources, but I would imagine that it has been fixed by now.

I am the only person using this solution in my company.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I did not use another database management solution prior to Toad, although Microsoft Access does give you the ability to do things like link tables.

The initial setup is reasonably straightforward for someone who's used something like SQL Management Studio. It's set up similarly in terms of having a tree-like structure, or you can also choose a tab structure. There are different ways of presenting the object in the database, which is helpful.

The software takes about ten minutes to install, as long as you have your Oracle or SQL database up. It is very easy to connect with them.

I implemented this solution on my own. If you have the SQL server set up then it just works.

Not assessed.

The software is expensive but it is very good.

I am currently using the trial version and I will probably purchase the professional edition. The professional edition is about $1,000 AUD ($700 USD) and the developer version is about twice that much.

No - I just loved the Oracle version when I worked with MARS.

What other advice do I have?

I have not used the SQL Server version a great deal, but I can say that when I used it with Oracle and comparing it to the Oracle Management Studio, Toad was by far the best.

For Oracle developers, this solution is a must. I don't think it is such a big jump from the SQL Management Studio, but from the Oracle point of view, it's a brilliant piece of software that makes things so much easier. It includes triggers or exits with remote debugging, and you have execution plans, all of which are helpful.

This is a very good product, but it is a little bit expensive.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

PP
E-service at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Reach list of features make administering Oracle easier

• "Toad has a lot of features that are very useful, fast, and well developed."
  • "I would like to see an improvement in the performance because opening the browser and the editor should be faster."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for administering my Oracle database.

How has it helped my organization?

Toad has a lot of features that are very useful, fast, and well developed. It is a very easy and helpful tool for me and my work. It is the main program that I use, every day.

What is most valuable?

I like a lot of the features in this solution including the Session Browser, Tablespace, SGA browser, good editor, it is to dificult to enumerate all features.

What needs improvement?

The limit of 100,000 lines when parsing trace files is not always enough, and I would like to see the limit increased.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

The current version of Toad is stable. However, the previous version was not stable.

This solution is scalable.

I have only contacted technical support one time and it was by email. I would rate them somewhere between average and good. It was a few years ago, so they may have improved since then.

I have used other tools, but Toad is the best of them.

The initial setup of this solution is easy. Deployment takes approximately one hour.

I deployed the solution myself, and one person is suitable for both deployment and maintenance.

In my opinion, this solution is a little expensive, but I understand that good programs cost more money. I find it acceptable, although my bosses may think differently. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is a program that I like very much and I recommend for others.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Download our free Toad for Oracle Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.