Tomcat Overview

Tomcat is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Application Server tools. It is most often compared to Oracle WebLogic Server: Tomcat vs Oracle WebLogic Server

What is Tomcat?
Apache Tomcat is an open source software implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Expression Language and Java WebSocket technologies. The Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Expression Language and Java WebSocket specifications are developed under the Java Community Process. Apache Tomcat powers numerous large-scale, mission-critical web applications across a diverse range of industries and organizations.

Download the Application Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Tomcat Customers
Walmart.com, The Weather Channel, E*Trade, Delta Virtual Airlines, General Motors, AppFuse, Bonhams, CardinalHealth, CarGurus.com, FarmDirectory.org, Millenium Pharmaceuticals, RecipeLand.com, WebShots, QuickCreative.net, MyOtherDrive
Tomcat Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tomcat pricing:
  • "This is an open-source product and it's free to use."
  • "We are using the open-source version."
  • "The solution is free."

AM
Senior System Analyst at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
User-friendly and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We are using Tomcat for one Java-based application that's used for any carrier site. We have one portal for carriers. Any external user can apply for whatever openings are there. Through that site they can apply and our HR can review their profile and invite them for an interview. Tomcat is handling all these processes.

• "Tomcat is user-friendly and easy to set up, especially compared to WebLogic or JBoss where some specialty is required. If you are going for Tomcat, you can use their guidelines and can set it up easily."
  • "Tomcat is used mainly for database connections. As of now, we configure that environment for any database configuration. But if any utility can integrate where we can pass the database connection as a string of details, then it should encrypt them and keep them inside. From that security perspective, Tomcat requires improvement. They should integrate this security feature."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering Tomcat is that they don't have too much load on their website. It's not for all websites. For normal sites, they can use Tomcat. On a scale of one to ten, I would give Tomcat an eight.
Oguz Mutlu
Sr. Devops Engineer at a media company with 201-500 employees
Stable, easy to deploy, and user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution on our main e-commerce web page.

• "The deployment process is very fast."
  • "It would be great if they offered more integration of monitoring tools."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Tomcat. We also use the solution on a private cloud as well as on-premises. I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten. We're pretty happy with it. I have experience with WebLogic and Tomcat. I'd recommend Tomcat over Oracle, as it's easier to manage and install. It's my understanding that the pricing is a bit lower as well.
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Oracle, Red Hat and others in Application Server. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AB
Managing Consultant/ Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reliable, open-source, and has good documentation but the high availability is not robust

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for application services and web services.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it supports Java Enterprise."
  • "The high availability is not as robust as the competition is such as WebLogic and Jboss."

What other advice do I have?

Apache Tomcat is the application server, but the enterprise server that runs in it is Apache ServiceMix. For anyone who is interested in using this solution, I would suggest knowing your use case, and knowing it very well. If you can make it containerized, it's better, so that it can scale better. But, again, know your use case. Because I have not used other hardware, there is nothing to compare with and it is hard to rate. In terms of my usage, I am happy with it. I would rate Apache Tomcat a seven out of ten.
AB
Especialista em TI at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Open-source, amazing stability, scalable, and has a good knowledge base

What is our primary use case?

I use Tomcat for CM solutions, for access management.

• "We chose to use Tomcat because it's perfect compared to other containers that we have tested."
  • "The interface is not user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation that is available on Apache.org. If you have any issues, look to see what is available on the forums and on the web. Some people have been able to find a solution using the web. We have not had big issues when using Tomcat. I would rate Tomcat an eight out of ten.
SR
Vice President - Information Technology at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, and stable, but they need better administration and maintenance capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a web application server.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the general web server features."
  • "Technical support is limited."

What other advice do I have?

My advice Look at all the options of server hosting before choosing Tomcat. I would rate Tomcat a seven out of ten.
Vincent Cheng
Sr. Director at LogiCorner Info Tech.
Easy to install, reliable, and beneficial EE server

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution because of the Oracle REST data services we are using.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the free EE server.

What needs improvement?

In the solution, we are using the terminal to enter command line codes for operations and management, this is difficult for me. It would be better if we had some administrator UI tools for this.

I have been using the solution within the last 12 months.

The solution is reliable.

We have approximately five people using the solution in my organization.

The initial setup is easy. However, we…
Ankur Sood
Technical Architect at Photon Interactive
MSP
Light-weight, easy to use, good documentation, and integrates well with Eclipse

What is our primary use case?

Tomcat is a really light-weight Web Server.

How has it helped my organization?

Web applications with Spring can be utilized quite effectively with the help of Tomcat.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use for development as well as in a production environment. It can be integrated with Eclipse as well, for rapid development. Documentation is very good and is helpful in case of any issue. Web apps are very easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

I would personally like it if the admin console would show more information specifically about memory being used.

I have been using Tomcat for more than 12 years.

Tomcat is widely accepted in…
Product Categories
Application Server
Download our free Application Server Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Oracle, Red Hat, and more!