Tomcat OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Tomcat is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Application Server tools. It is most often compared to Oracle WebLogic Server: Tomcat vs Oracle WebLogic Server

What is Tomcat?
Apache Tomcat is an open source software implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Expression Language and Java WebSocket technologies. The Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Expression Language and Java WebSocket specifications are developed under the Java Community Process. Apache Tomcat powers numerous large-scale, mission-critical web applications across a diverse range of industries and organizations.

Download the Application Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Tomcat Customers
Walmart.com, The Weather Channel, E*Trade, Delta Virtual Airlines, General Motors, AppFuse, Bonhams, CardinalHealth, CarGurus.com, FarmDirectory.org, Millenium Pharmaceuticals, RecipeLand.com, WebShots, QuickCreative.net, MyOtherDrive
Tomcat Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tomcat pricing:
  • "This is an open-source product and it's free to use."
  • "We are using the open-source version."
  • "The solution is free."

Tomcat Reviews

AM
Senior System Analyst at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
User-friendly and easy to set up

• "Tomcat is user-friendly and easy to set up, especially compared to WebLogic or JBoss where some specialty is required. If you are going for Tomcat, you can use their guidelines and can set it up easily."
  • "Tomcat is used mainly for database connections. As of now, we configure that environment for any database configuration. But if any utility can integrate where we can pass the database connection as a string of details, then it should encrypt them and keep them inside. From that security perspective, Tomcat requires improvement. They should integrate this security feature."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Tomcat for one Java-based application that's used for any carrier site. We have one portal for carriers. Any external user can apply for whatever openings are there. Through that site they can apply and our HR can review their profile and invite them for an interview. Tomcat is handling all these processes.

What is most valuable?

The company decided earlier, when our database was on Oracle, that Tomcat is more suitable for Java-based applications and it's a free tool with free servers that we can download and use there.

What needs improvement?

Tomcat is used mainly for database connections. As of now, we configure that environment for any database configuration. But if any utility can integrate where we can pass the database connection as a string of details, then it should encrypt them and keep them inside. From that security perspective, Tomcat requires improvement. They should integrate this security feature.

I have been using Tomcat in my company for the last two years. In my previous company I used Tomcat for application, deployment and configuration.

Tomcat is very stable, nothing new in this one, it's a very old product. We were using this product for our small application testing back when we were in college.

In terms of Tomcat's scalability level, wherever scalability or a higher ability is required, we use a load balancer and other things to just upscale the data.

We have one 15-person team that is using it. It is exported to the internet, so external users are using it whenever they connect to the application.

We provide technical support because we have the knowledge about this product so we don't feel any external support is required as of now for Apache and Tomcat related issues.

The initial setup is very easy and straightforward.

It takes me a couple of hours for Tomcat implementation.

Tomcat is an open-source solution so we don't have licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering Tomcat is that they don't have too much load on their website. It's not for all websites. For normal sites, they can use Tomcat.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Tomcat an eight.

Oguz Mutlu
Sr. Devops Engineer at a media company with 201-500 employees
Stable, easy to deploy, and user-friendly

• "The deployment process is very fast."
  • "It would be great if they offered more integration of monitoring tools."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution on our main e-commerce web page.

What is most valuable?

Compared to Oracle Web Projects, it's very user-friendly and the administration is very simple. The navigation is very intuitive.

The deployment process is very fast.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

I don't have too much experience with monitoring, however, it's possible it could be improved. It would be great if they offered more integration of monitoring tools.

The management maybe can be improved a bit.

I've used the solution for a small instance in the past. We have used it for three or four months now in a bigger instance. We've only used it for a few months at this point, and therefore, it's still pretty new to us.

The stability is good. We haven't had any issues. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is good. We have a structure that we can easily scale up or down. It's very simple for us.

We haven't contacted technical support. We haven't needed any assistance. Therefore, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I've also used Oracle WebLogic.

The initial setup is very easy to install. It's very easy. A company shouldn't struggle with the setup process.

The deployment is fast.

I don't have any information on the pricing. I don't handle that aspect of the solution.

That said, my understanding is it's less expensive than, for example, Oracle.

I'm able to compare WebLogic with Tomcat, and I can say that Tomcat beats WebLogic on a number of fronts. It's easier, simpler to deploy, and less expensive. I prefer it.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Tomcat.

We also use the solution on a private cloud as well as on-premises.

I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten. We're pretty happy with it.

I have experience with WebLogic and Tomcat. I'd recommend Tomcat over Oracle, as it's easier to manage and install. It's my understanding that the pricing is a bit lower as well.

Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Oracle, Red Hat and others in Application Server. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AB
Managing Consultant/ Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reliable, open-source, and has good documentation but the high availability is not robust

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it supports Java Enterprise."
  • "The high availability is not as robust as the competition is such as WebLogic and Jboss."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for application services and web services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it supports Java Enterprise. I don't have to worry about compliance. Once Java EE runs then it's good.

What needs improvement?

The high availability is not as robust as the competition is, such as WebLogic and Jboss.

At the moment, it is dependent on how Java is working. So if Java goes this way, then Apache Tomcat follows. Apache is very tightly coupled to Java.

The question would more be where does Java need to be? Then Apache Tomcat will follow because it's Open-Source.

I have been using Apache Tomcat for three years.

I am using the latest version.

This solution is stable. It has a lot of support because it is a part of the Apache Foundation, open source.

I am a strong proponent of open source.

Scalability on its own is getting there. With the Cloud, you can deploy and make it scalable, but on its own, not as much. Unless, along with the cloud, you put it in a Kubernetes cluster, then it's scalable.

The first two projects from Apache were HTTP Daemon, Web Server, and then Tomcat. So it should have one of the richest support articles. Unless you're talking about and speaking with somebody personally, but the documentation for Tomcat is very good.

The initial setup was straightforward.

This is an open-source product and it's free to use.

What other advice do I have?

Apache Tomcat is the application server, but the enterprise server that runs in it is Apache ServiceMix.

For anyone who is interested in using this solution, I would suggest knowing your use case, and knowing it very well.

If you can make it containerized, it's better, so that it can scale better. But, again, know your use case.

Because I have not used other hardware, there is nothing to compare with and it is hard to rate. In terms of my usage, I am happy with it.

I would rate Apache Tomcat a seven out of ten.

AB
Especialista em TI at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Open-source, amazing stability, scalable, and has a good knowledge base

• "We chose to use Tomcat because it's perfect compared to other containers that we have tested."
  • "The interface is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I use Tomcat for CM solutions, for access management.

What is most valuable?

It's open-source and there is a lot of documentation available on the web. It has a good knowledge base.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not user-friendly.

You need to have knowledge of the operating system, and Linux to configure the solution. It is not user-friendly.

I would like to see a user-friendly interface.

I have been using Tomcat for 10 years.

I started with Version 8 and now we are using Version 9.

The stability is amazing. If it is configured properly, you won't have any issues.

It's scalable. It is possible to create a cluster with Tomcat. You can run it using Docker, in the Kubernetes platform. It is also possible to be embedded in some devices.

It's pretty much a full-stack solution with many ways to use it.

We have 30 technicians who are using this solution in our organization.

I have never used support from Tomcat. We have only used the documentation that is available.

There is a lot of documentation available on the internet, which is very helpful.

We have found a solution for questions that we have had through forums and the knowledge base.

The initial setup is neither hard nor too easy. There is a lot of documentation to review.

The time it takes to deploy really depends on your experience. If you are a beginner, it can take eight hours, and for the heavy user, it's about two hours to deploy it.

We are using the open-source version.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation that is available on Apache.org. If you have any issues, look to see what is available on the forums and on the web.

Some people have been able to find a solution using the web.

We have not had big issues when using Tomcat. I would rate Tomcat an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
SR
Vice President - Information Technology at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, and stable, but they need better administration and maintenance capabilities

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the general web server features."
  • "Technical support is limited."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a web application server.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides website hosting services.

What is most valuable?

It's simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In terms of features, this solution is limited. It does do its job, but the enterprise-level features are missing.

In the next release, I would like to see better maintenance and administration utilities. For example, they could be simplified.

I have been using Tomcat for three years.

We are using the latest version. It is always updating.

It's a pretty stable solution.

This solution is actively being used.

Technical support is limited. We don't get very many issues, but when we do, the service is not very straightforward.

It was a default install and it was done before I arrived.

We used a vendor for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice Look at all the options of server hosting before choosing Tomcat.

I would rate Tomcat a seven out of ten.

Vincent Cheng
Sr. Director at LogiCorner Info Tech.
Easy to install, reliable, and beneficial EE server

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution because of the Oracle REST data services we are using.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the free EE server.

What needs improvement?

In the solution, we are using the terminal to enter command line codes for operations and management, this is difficult for me. It would be better if we had some administrator UI tools for this.

I have been using the solution within the last 12 months.

The solution is reliable.

We have approximately five people using the solution in my organization.

The initial setup is easy. However, we…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the free EE server.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution within the last 12 months.

The solution is reliable.

We have approximately five people using the solution in my organization.

The initial setup is easy. However, we did have some difficulties at first that we managed to resolve. There is plenty of documentation online to help with the solution.

We did the implementation of the solution.

The solution is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Tomcat an eight out of ten.

Ankur Sood
Technical Architect at Photon Interactive
MSP
Light-weight, easy to use, good documentation, and integrates well with Eclipse

What is our primary use case?

Tomcat is a really light-weight Web Server.

How has it helped my organization?

Web applications with Spring can be utilized quite effectively with the help of Tomcat.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use for development as well as in a production environment. It can be integrated with Eclipse as well, for rapid development. Documentation is very good and is helpful in case of any issue. Web apps are very easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

I would personally like it if the admin console would show more information specifically about memory being used.

I have been using Tomcat for more than 12 years.

Tomcat is widely accepted in…

What is our primary use case?

Tomcat is a really light-weight Web Server.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use for development as well as in a production environment.

It can be integrated with Eclipse as well, for rapid development.

Documentation is very good and is helpful in case of any issue.

Web apps are very easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Tomcat for more than 12 years.

Tomcat is widely accepted in tech communities because getting support is really easy.

Product Categories
Application Server
Download our free Application Server Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Oracle, Red Hat, and more!