Trello OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Trello is #13 ranked solution in top Project Management Software. IT Central Station users give Trello an average rating of 8 out of 10. Trello is most commonly compared to Asana: Trello vs Asana. The top industry researching this solution is Comms Service Provider, accounting for 20% of all views.
What is Trello?

Trello is the visual collaboration tool that creates a shared perspective on any project. Trello’s boards, lists and cards enable you to organize and prioritize your personal and work life in a fun, flexible and rewarding way.

Download the Project Management Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Trello Customers

Pixar, Google, PayPal, Kickstarter, National Geographic, Viewbox Holdings

Trello Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Trello pricing:
  • "I use the free version of Trello, which is sufficient for my day to day use."
  • "Maybe it would be better if they offered some extra tiers, so you don't have to go all the way up to the pro level."
  • "I am tinkering with the free version."

Trello Reviews

Prem Lingala
Customer Success Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Kanban-style management that is easy to use and quite stable

• "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "There aren't as many tracking tools."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to organize projects.

Trello is mainly for a Kanban-style of product management. You have a set of tasks and you'll move tasks from one phase to another phase. They won't do anything themselves from the organization's perspective, or from the strategy or the product perspective. A user needs to manipulate the information and set up the processes. If they want to introduce any product, they'll make a different board for that product. Jira, on the other hand, for example, has both a Scrum mode for managing projects and having a toolkit as well as a Kanban-style board.

What is most valuable?

The solution uses Kanban boards.

The solution is very easy to use.

On the features side, it's very stable.

What needs improvement?

There aren't as many tracking tools.

If you use Agile as a methodology, Trello doesn't really fit very well. It cannot run at the speed of the team or show pending tasks and backlogs as well. Those types of features aren't really on Trello. Something such as Jira is much more adept at Agile.

The product doesn't handle heavy loads very well. The information does not load quickly once there's a lot of information in the system. IT needs some sort of load balancer to allow it to take on more information and load more quickly.

I used the solution for about three to four years. I used it recently for six months on another project.

While the features side is stable, and there aren't bugs and glitches, the solution can get overwhelmed if there is a lot of information on it. In that case, it stops loading quickly and really slows down. It can only take so much.

I'm not confident we will return to using Trello, and therefore likely won't expand it. We've been more satisfied with Jira, as it is a bigger tool and serves our purposes better.

I've never reached out to technical support. I can't speak to how responsive or supportive they are. It's not something I can talk about.

I previously used a different solution, however, it was difficult to load as you added information, such as images. I then moved to Trello, and now I am on Jira.

Trello isn't as good at tackling Agile development as a solution like Jira would be. It doesn't have the feature sets for that kind of process.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and end-user.

I use whichever solution the project requires. Sometimes I use Trello, and other times the project calls for something like Jira. I don't use Trello all of the time.

The solution is an online tool.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the product at a seven. The only drawback I see is the loading issues. For a different set of employees, that wouldn't matter much. They can wait five minutes for everything to load and they can do their work quickly, after five minutes of wait time. However, for my role, where I'm directly facing customers, it should be quick to get the information while I'm talking to them to address their inquiries quickly. I cannot say "I don't know." I cannot give such kind of answers to my customer when they're on a call with me.

For my segment and for the roles I've been in, which are mostly the customer-facing or manager-type roles, it should be quick enough. However, for developers or testers, it need not be.

Kevin Adamo
CEO & Co-founder at Adamo Digital
User
Helpful Kanban board and good alerting, but it should support online conferencing

• "Another feature that impressed me is the clear Kanban board, as it provides a clear view of to-to tasks, assuring the team not to forget anything."
  • "Trello could add an analytic tool that allows me to see the performance of each team member, answering questions like whether they meet the deadline or miss the deadline."

What is our primary use case?

My company is hiring an outsourced copywriter team for some content purpose. For the first time, we connect by email for exchanging writing documents. Unfortunately, performing tasks by email came up with a poor result that we could not control the progress when several team members participating.

Hence, we need communication software to control the process and results. File storage and process tracking are two key targets. Normal instant text messaging software like Skype or Messenger is not suitable in this case. We have come up with Kanban software, and Trello is one of the top selections.

How has it helped my organization?

It separates messaging and files storage, which allows us to handily keep up with updates. Accordingly, we can separate several projects and track the progress with the Kanban table.

In this case, we define tasks by preparing, in progress, and completed to divide results. The completed tasks would be paid from us, while in-progress tasks could be requested to change. Accordingly, I can see the progression of projects with several statuses. Additionally, I can also compare and track the quality of writing documents.

What is most valuable?

Since we use several tools, sometimes, we cannot signup daily to check progress. That’s why we appreciate the notification scheme from Trello. Trello will message me the updates. It allows me not to sign up for Trello daily without missing any progress from copywriters.

Another feature that impressed me is the clear Kanban board, as it provides a clear view of to-do tasks, reminding the team not to forget anything. Whenever I see the board, I can rapidly understand the overview of what tasks were done and what should be done. Additionally, colleagues could remind me when I miss any progress.

What needs improvement?

1. Video call and messaging for the online conference: 2020 was the time for remote working and online conferencing while social distancing deterred people from going out. I think, as an online collaboration tool, Trello should include an online meeting feature as it would allow members to meet, discuss, and share ideas.
  2. Analytics: Trello could add an analytic tool that allows me to see the performance of each team member, answering questions like whether they meet the deadline or miss the deadline. Besides, I want to know the time spent on each project and the potential issues that occurred.

I have been using Trello for team management and team collaboration for two years time.

Google
Find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, monday, Asana and others in Project Management Software. Updated: October 2021.
543,936 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AV
IT Project Manager at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
A reliable and stable personal board for good monitoring of day to day tasks

• "The installation was extremely straightforward."
  • "As a team board it did not work well for us."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version, which is free and online.

I use the solution as my personal board for daily, project and operational tasks.

What needs improvement?

As a team board it did not work well for us. It allows non-permanent members of the company or team to manage or delete posted tasks and notifications. It was a big problem for us that every member was able to delete or edit something posted by another and we felt the need to remedy this. We encountered a situation in which a member of the board deleted every task which he was assigned, which was a lot. We found ourselves trying to refill all the boards so that our stakeholders could have complete visibility of our tasks, a matter which concerned our finances and overall schedule.

For this reason we made use in the bank of Microsoft Planner, which we already had in place. It has a feature that prevents others from deleting or editing notifications posted by another. This is nice to have when one must deal with six picky stakeholders.

As for the user interface, I am glad that Trello does not make alterations to this. I like that the buttons and colors which appear in a consistent manner and this is one of the reasons that I remain with Trello.

I've been working with Trello for nearly five years.

The software is very stable. It never crossed my mind that there was a need for support or that something was working improperly.

We have had no need for technical support.

The installation was extremely straightforward.

I use the free version of Trello. It is sufficient for my day to day use.

Although I had evaluated Monday as well as another solution, I decided that Trello was the way to go, as I had been using it for quite a while.

What other advice do I have?

Trello is cloud-based.

For use as a personal board I rate Trello as a ten out of ten.

DP
Product Owner - Structural Frame Software Group at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A Kanban-style application with features for task management, prioritization, and collaboration

• "I think task management, prioritization, rankings, and collaboration features are useful."
  • "Pricing can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Trello for task management. We've used it a lot in the last year. I'm able to integrate it within Aha! and link to the Trello board. I kind of use the Aha! side more myself and it feeds into Trello. I do pull up Trello to look and make sure things are in the right spot and we review biweekly in Trello.

How has it helped my organization?

The collaboration features and keeping track of tasks in a shared environment has definitely helped improve our organization.

What is most valuable?

I think task management, prioritization, rankings, and collaboration features are useful. It's a really easy tool to enter data, keep track of the tasks and management, and update all of that. It's very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Pricing can be improved. Maybe it would be better if they offered some extra tiers, so you don't have to go all the way up to the pro level. We're using the integrations on the other side, and I think you only get some of the things if you're not subscribed at a higher level. You only get a certain amount of features. For example, they have this thing called the Butler, and unless you're at a pro-level, you can only use one Butler feature. You have to pay more to unlock certain features.

I've been using Trello for a year and three months. I think the team's been working with it for probably five or six years.

Trello is a stable solution. I think any instability was probably a user error.

I haven't had any issues scaling Trello up or down.

I was involved in my branch and it was pretty basic and pretty easy.

Pricing can be improved. You have to pay more to unlock certain features.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Trello an eight.

JQ
Life Leader Coach at Rogers Communications
Very user-friendly, visual, and intuitive

• "I like how user-friendly, visual, and intuitive it is. It doesn't take a lot of time to figure out how to make it work for you."
  • "If there are pre-done templates or suggested templates for various fields, they would be helpful for me as a coach."

What is our primary use case?

I am just a solopreneur who uses it as an end-user. I am using it to organize my social media.

How has it helped my organization?

I am currently using it to organize my social media so that I can see all of my posts and know what I've posted when, and it makes that super easy.

What is most valuable?

I like how user-friendly, visual, and intuitive it is. It doesn't take a lot of time to figure out how to make it work for you.

What needs improvement?

There should be some quick videos and little bites right there in the app to help those who are new to it to optimize what it can do. I haven't done enough digging, and it is possible that they exist.

If there are pre-done templates or suggested templates for various fields, they would be helpful for me as a coach.

I've been using it probably for six months.

I am tinkering with the free version.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Trello an eight out of 10. I am overall pretty happy with it.

Product Categories
Project Management Software
Download our free Project Management Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, monday, Asana, and more!