Trend Micro Deep Security Overview

Trend Micro Deep Security is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Virtualization Security tools. It is most often compared to Trend Micro Apex One: Trend Micro Deep Security vs Trend Micro Apex One

What is Trend Micro Deep Security?

The Trend Micro Cloud and Data Center Security solution protects applications and data and prevents business disruptions, while helping meet regulatory compliance. Whether you are focused on securing physical virtual, cloud, or hybrid environments, Trend Micro provides the advanced server security you need  with the Trend Micro™ Deep Security™ platform.

Trend Micro Deep Security is also known as Deep Security.

Download the Virtualization Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Trend Micro Deep Security Customers

Rush University Medical Center, Guess? Inc., Mazda Motor Logistics Europe, MEDHOST, KSC Commercial Internet Co., Ricoh Company Ltd., Square Enix, SoftBank Telecom, Telecom Italia, United Way of Greater Atlanta, A&W Food Services of Canada

Trend Micro Deep Security Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Rayees Tamton
Data Center Manager/Support Delivery Manager at Salam Technology
A user-friendly product that protects us from both internal and external attacks

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to prevent DDoS and other types of attacks from internal or external sources.

• "The most valuable features are web security, email filtering, and content filtering."
  • "The support for email protection can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We would recommend this solution to others. This is based on our security implementation. We are strongly protected through Trend Micro. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It provides full protection against vulnerabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use it for virtual environment protection.

• "It has improved functions by bringing us complete security on our clients' virtual environment."
  • "It has a perfect SaaS which integrates with AWS, offering flexibility to deploy quickly and easily in the cloud."
  • "It needs better global visibility of the virtual environment."

What other advice do I have?

While it is a good security product, they have to develop better tools to manage it. I have not tried to integrate it with other products.
Find out what your peers are saying about Trend Micro, Sophos, Juniper and others in Virtualization Security. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Matthew White
Production DBA at BLUE MOTOR FINANCE LIMITED
Endpoint Security in the Cloud, providing a strong set of controls and protection

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to provide endpoint security for our AWS EC2 instances, covering features, such as host-based firewall, IDS/IPS, anti-malware, and application control.

• "Deep Security enables us to bridge the gap between patching windows using the Virtual Patching feature. This allows us to make sure full patching is tested properly in our testing environments before rollout."
  • "It provides a comprehensive feature set and a strong security baseline for us with integrations into other security tools."
  • "I would like them to add EDR features, moving away from traditional signature-based anti-malware."

What other advice do I have?

It provides a comprehensive feature set and a strong security baseline for us with integrations into other security tools. It integrates with AlienVault USM Anywhere and AWS GuardDuty in our environment.
Divyang P
Senior Cyber Security Consultant at Infosec Ventures
Reseller
Straightforward implementation without downtime, user-friendly interface

• "There are compliance issues for legacy applications and after applying OS security patches. The product's HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) modules do the job for you automatically, without any downtime."
  • "Very user-friendly interface, easy to understand."
  • "​Very straightforward and very easy to implement.​"
  • "There is no competition for this product, as no other product provides HIPS, host-firewall, and anti-malware together."
  • "The default reports provided don't provide much insight."
  • "I would rate tech support in the range of six to eight out of 10. Time to provide solution could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product at nine out of 10. There is always a chance that it can be improved. Go for it without any hesitation.
Jason Cradit
Director of Cloud Architecture and Security at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
It links directly to AWS to tell me if a new instance created is unprotected. When running reports, you see can whether or not your environment is covered.

What other advice do I have?

Think about it. It's for the cloud and not meant to be retro-fitted. You're not managing a core server and it's got elastic scalability up and down from a cost perspective. You just pay per agent. If you don't need a server anymore, you don't pay. When you implement and install, really learn how to set up the dashboard. You have to have a good intimate knowledge of your environment. Take the time to learn the product; don't just plug it in because it's not meant for that.
Mohit Sharma
CTO at RightCloud Pte. Ltd.
Virtual patching makes it easier, and you are protected as soon as the patch is released

What is our primary use case?

It's used as a part of our managed solutions. Security is key for them because we have seen a lot of ransomware in the past. We do very well on security side, whether it is application network or a host-based security. This is one of the offerings that we offer to our customer by default. As it is a core part of our managed services, it integrates with other products which revolve around patch management. We have our own IP which takes care of the actual patch management that we leverage. We also have a lot of monitoring platforms with a single, integrate dashboard taking the data from the… more »

• "For day-to-day efficiency, it provides a good dashboard, so our team can be active 24/7 instead of doing a lot of manual stuff. We just look at the dashboard, and it's all done."
  • "It needs to improve its integration with a lot of other products. This should be in the road map because we have a lot of SaaS-based appliances which are not connected with each other."

What other advice do I have?

Do your evaluation well. After the core evaluation, choose what fits best for your customer. I used to previously work with on-premise solutions and private cloud. Now, I work with AWS.
Tanweer Surve
Sr. Director, Enterprise Architecture & Cloud Technologies at Essilor
The file integrity and log inspection are game-changing features for us

What is our primary use case?

We use Trend Micro Deep Security as a Service on AWS through Marketplace and Trend Micro Deep Security on-prem to meet our virtualization security & compliance requirements.

• "The file integrity and log inspection are game-changing features for us."
  • "They are still working on the company integration from TippingPoint because this was a recent acquisition from a few years ago. So, a Tipping Point integration with Deep Security, having one single pane of glass dashboard, would provide us a simple use case."

What other advice do I have?

We started with it on-premise, and now we also have it on the cloud to protect our cloud workloads. The cloud has all the features and functionality turned on by default, which makes it very easy and simple to use. This hosted solution means there's no set up or configuration and they handle all the product and kernel updates for us.
Swami Venkat
CTO at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
We don't have to worry about intrusions

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the product for IDS, IPS, and deep security.

• "It provides the type of data and availability that we need to have. We don't have to worry about intrusions."
  • "Trend Micro is not government certified or federal complaint. If they could become compliant/certified, this would make it easier for us to use it for our government projects."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Trend Micro. We are happy with them. In the current world, you have to earn the business because it is like a subscription, and they keep us happy. We don't have Trend Micro integrated with any other product except for our internal cloud solution. We just use the AWS version of the product.
Dirty Blueshirt (Aaron S)
Principal Infrastructure Security Architect at S2 Global
We use it for managing application whitelisting, and intrusion detection and prevention for the CLOUD Act

What is our primary use case?

It is for managing application whitelisting, and intrusion detection and prevention for the CLOUD Act.

• "The integration and configuration of this product in our AWS environment was good. We haven't had any problems at all."
  • "The initial setup needs improvement, as it was a bit challenging."

What other advice do I have?

The best approach is to start off with a node where it is sort of monitoring and looking at stuff, then work your way into the actual prevention and blocking. Because it can turn off a bunch of services without too much effort which can be good, but it can also shut things down. We haven't really gone into the integration aspect yet.
KK
DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Their support is good. They are responsive.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is its antivirus and anti-malware capabilities. We mostly integrate it with the EC2 instances.

What is most valuable?

Their support is good. They are responsive, which is nice.

What needs improvement?

I know that they are working on it, but their automation needs improvement. I would also like to see more containerization stuff, specifically Docker.

It has been stable so far. We don't put a lot stress on it.

It scales very well. We have around 2,000 instances running.

Their technical support is great. …
EX
Systems Administrator at Alfred Publishing
It is a reliable product, and we have one centralized place to look at threats.

What is our primary use case?

* End users * Some servers

• "There is a degree of set it and forget it in regards to the actual endpoints and what you can do with the console, which is nice."
  • "If I had more reporting, the product would be an A plus."

What other advice do I have?

It integrates well with other products, e.g., we use it on user endpoints, servers, physical servers, VMware, and AWS. We use it on a lot of platforms. Right now, we are using a cloud-based version, which I believe is the AWS version. We have the risk-free version which gives us a web format for us to push out programs to computer servers.
SebastianFernandez
VP of Enterprise Architecture at Broadridge
IDS and IPS are its most valuable features

What is our primary use case?

It's for security: IDS, IPS, intrusion detection, and securing our perimeter in general. E.g., OWASP rules.

• "Trend Micro gave our security teams a certain degree of comfort by just having it in the background, as they have familiarity with the product."
  • "AWS products could become more compatible with intrusion detection products leveraging help from Trend Micro."

What other advice do I have?

Take a good look at all the different options. If there are things which I think teams are familiar with, that always gives a product a bit of a leg up. This is not just from the perspective of the people who support and deploy the product, but even the security teams who may be already familiar with the product and know how effective it is. It gives them a lot more comfort seeing something that they have some background with. Our company uses the on-premise and AWS versions. I work with the AWS version, and have been happy with it. I am seeing more of the end result of it rather than the…
Carlos Sampaio
HR Analyst Manager at Cesar

What is our primary use case?

We use it for security, specifically for old servers still in the company. It is doing its job.

• "It is connected into an intelligence database and is quick to pick up new threats. It also reduces my workload with its speed and the protection that it provides."
  • "The working interface and the reports for non-technical people could use improvement. They are a bit scary."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. I have been satisfied, as it is a good product.
Vinod Shankar
Manager, Enterprise Risk Consulting at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides AV, file monitoring and log collection in a single agent.

What is most valuable?

It is lightweight and provides a multi-platform for the client. It combines host intrusion prevention and provides AV, file monitoring, log collection, etc. in a single agent. There are a good signature set and a high rate of detection. It is one of the best client protection available for cloud computing.

I have used this product for three years.

Installation and operations may have issues on some machines owing to their configuration of the network cards as the product is a DPI driver. The typical client-server issues exist as with any other product.

The setup is simple as the agent provides a feature called as the Recommendation…
Jusiah Noah
Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's enabled us to protect our enterprise applications and data from breaches and business disruptions without emergency patching.

What other advice do I have?

With the changing tech world, with competitors not sleeping as time is money, simplified management is very crucial to my business.
it_user339417
Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Having centralized malware is practical. There should be a way to migrate without having to uninstall prior antivirus products.

What other advice do I have?

Prior evaluations of possible scenarios have resulted in determining problem areas as well as good practices. Also, it should be clear the level of integration with VMware and its different versions. My advice would be to have the most updated versions of ESXi, vCenter, vShield, etc. It's fundamental to have a network or network segment for the administration and management of all infrastructure.
Tech Evangelist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We can extend the security of the datacenter to cloud using API integration in a single management console.

What other advice do I have?

It's a hybrid platform with about five modules that will help you to manage and secure your datacenter and cloud initiative with multi-platform support. To get the same solution, you may have to contract at least four different vendors.
it_user402825
Server Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The modules that are included with it will help us displace the local anti-virus that we're currently using.

What other advice do I have?

It's important that you get a baseline of training, then partner with Trend Micro, whether it's an engineer pre-sales or an engineer that's implemented the product before. Be certain that your staff have the steering wheel and Trend Micro are the ones helping you navigate through the solution.
it_user400656
Security Practice Director at Rolta AdvizeX
It makes controls available to consultants and security architects in the new, software-defined datacenter and traversing up into the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

The important thing that I would encourage people to look at with Deep Security is how it plays with Endpoint, how it plays with your particular software-defined data center or hybrid cloud, and make sure that you understand where the capabilities are available to you. Because for most people it's surprising that Trend Micro can do all the things that it can.
it_user400725
Enterprise System Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's agile, flexible, and performs multiple tasks simultaneously. We're able to do firewalls, IPS, and log inspections with it.

What other advice do I have?

Come up with a solid working plan before you even think about actually implementing anything. The foundation is all in the preparation, the education and the project management. No product is perfect. Deep Security is a fantastic product but there are certain little details, I think, that could be tweaked or improved. Do your homework, engage Trend Micro, get trained, get all the knowledge you can and come up with a solid working plan before you even think about actually implementing anything.
it_user386796
Epic Client Systems Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's agentless, meaning we can implement it without having to protect every guest at a guest-by-guest level.

What other advice do I have?

Be involved with the installation so that you really get a feel for what the product's doing. If they provide any support or any training, definitely attend that. It is an intuitive product but there's a lot of moving parts. You're doing virus scanning so you definitely want to make sure you understand what you're doing because if you do have an issue, it’s very important piece of your infrastructure to make sure you're protecting your server.
it_user382038
Senior Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
There are several valuable features -- it's agentless, each module can be installed on its own, and it provides a single pane of glass for managing it.

What other advice do I have?

Make friends with your local rep and support tech – they can help you over the gotchas and issues that invariably arise with a new implementation. There is lots of online training also from Trend Micro. And classroom courses are available; I took the Deep Security course in Ottawa the first year we had it.
it_user380925
Program Manager / Enterprise Services at Entertainment Partners
​The most valuable feature for us is moving the AV scanning engine to the hypervisor and removing it from the virtual machine.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your VMware SME is plugged in from the very beginning, do a limited low-level impact POC, and plug into the Trend Micro user community.
it_user369318
Supervisor with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us is the fact that we can control what the PC or server is doing protection-wise, even remotely.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you perform thorough testing as there were different situations that came up for us that we didn't account for. I think that a POC would really be worth the investment because you can find out what the structure can do and what it can't. That's really important.
it_user378123
IT Security Analyst - Systems Administrator at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The anti-virus module, the firewall module, and integrity monitoring are the most valuable features for us that we use daily.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that before Trend Micro comes out to install the product, you need to come up with a plan with the product. That could be anti-virus and a good plan of how you want anti-virus to work on your work stations, computers, and servers. I shouldn't just say anti-virus, but also firewall protection, integrity, what exclusions do you want. You want a good plan for each system and that will make the installation much faster. If you have to go back when the person is with you and try to figure it out as you go along, it will slow you down. Get a good plan.