Trend Micro ServerProtect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Trend Micro ServerProtect is #25 ranked solution in endpoint security software. IT Central Station users give Trend Micro ServerProtect an average rating of 8 out of 10. Trend Micro ServerProtect is most commonly compared to CrowdStrike Falcon:Trend Micro ServerProtect vs CrowdStrike Falcon. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is Trend Micro ServerProtect?

Trend Micro ServerProtect for Storage, powered by XGen security, leverages a blend of cross-generational threat protection techniques to safeguard a wide range of network attached storage systems by detecting and removing viruses and spyware in real time. This comprehensive storage security uses the industry-standard ICAP protocol to complement support for traditional RPC communication protocols. To simplify network protection for EMC, NetApp, and Hitachi Data Systems storage systems, ServerProtect for Storage provides automatic, incremental security updates and centralized management of servers via a web-based console.

Trend Micro ServerProtect was previously known as Trend Micro ServerProtect for Storage, ServerProtect, ServerProtect for Storage.

Download the Endpoint Protection for Business (EPP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Trend Micro ServerProtect Customers

Siemens

Trend Micro ServerProtect Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Trend Micro ServerProtect pricing:
  • "Pricing is based on the components you choose from the suite to run in your installation. Costs vary by the number of features and the number of servers."
  • "Pricewise, this product is okay."

Trend Micro ServerProtect Reviews

SA
Senior Specialist - Security Solutions at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Realtime intelligent end-to-end detection and protection from malware in a highly versatile product

• "Virtual Batching and the intelligent anti-malware components are valuable security tools."
  • "The cost is very high and it should be lower to be more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

I am actually a reseller for Trend Micro. I do not use the ServerProtect product for my environment, I only resell the company's products. Our clients use it for multiple purposes on-demand, like using it as an IPS (Intrusion Prevention System), for Virtual Batching, or for application control. Those are only some of the use cases. There are many and they apply as per the needs of the particular client.

What is most valuable?

There is some feature in ServerProtect called Virtual Batching, which helps to protect other servers in a system from threats or exploits. That is one of the most useful features. Then there is an anti-malware component with behavioral analysis and machine learning. That is also a very good feature of the product that provides a high-level of intelligent security.

What needs improvement?

From a technical perspective, I think ServerProtect is one of the best security products on the market. It is a mature product that already has most features that any product of this type has. What can be improved is that the cost is very high. So I feel that the cost should be reduced, even if it is justified.

One thing that I would like to see as an additional feature is just a custom sandbox within the solution itself. So instead of having to go and use an additional sandbox for testing, you could have a custom sandbox integrated directly into the solution.

I have been using Trend Micro ServerProtect for just under three years.

It is a very good and very stable product. A lot of people use it, so it is very well tested under load in various environments and under different conditions.

ServerProtect can scale very well. There are no real challenges in scaling the solution. Our clients who use Trend Micro Server Protect, are usually enterprise businesses rather than small or medium-sized businesses. The client base includes large enterprise companies as well as government entities.

I have contacted the technical support and the technical support is good. I have not been disappointed in my interactions with them.

Our company does the initial setup and the deployment process for all of our clients. The process is pretty straightforward and we have quite a lot of experience. The deployment time depends on the number of servers. Usually, it will take from between two to five days to complete a deployment if it is for about one-hundred servers or one-hundred VM's. The number of days and amount of time depends on the number of features that you want to configure and the downtime that can be achieved to complete the work. It depends on a lot of factors; there is no fixed number of days. But it is just a difference in the amount of time spent. More complicated installations are still straightforward and it is not really more complicated to do, it is just more time-consuming.

We usually have only one technician involved in the deployment process. It also takes one person from the customer's side as well. So really you can say two people or a maximum of three people, approximately to complete the process.

We are also doing maintenance after deployment for our clients. That will usually only require one person for the maintenance of one project.

I am not sure that I can give any exact advice as to the pricing because it will be different for each customer and for each solution. There are multiple variations of the product and the cost varies according to that. There really is no fixed cost because there are a lot of components that clients can choose from to include in their installations and, in the end, the cost varies based on which components a company selects.

It all depends on the number of features you want on a particular server. If you want only anti-malware, then the cost will be calculated based on the anti-malware only. If you want to add threat prevention and Virtual Batching, then you will have additional costs. If you want to add to that with application control and a firewall, then again the cost will be still more. The cost varies according to the features that you select on the server you are protecting.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I have for people considering this product as a solution is that I would recommend to go ahead and work with this product. Do an evaluation based on your setup and see if it suits your environment. It is definitely a good product to work with. Take time to choose the components you need based on your evaluations to keep the costs lower.

On a scale from one to ten when one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine-out-of-ten. Nothing is really perfect.

Hybrid Cloud
CK
Cyber Security Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Provides very good cloud-based endpoint protection with great technical support

• "It can be managed from the cloud."
  • "No built-in vulnerability scanner for management solutions."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case for the solution is to provide our employees with endpoint security. We install it on their endpoint, deploy and manage it. Traffic size is quite small, with less than 40 workstations in our network and our aim is to begin offering it to our clients as an option. There are two of us in the company who maintain it - one IT person and myself and the solution is running 24/7. We are customers of Trend Micro ServerProtect and I'm a cybersecurity engineer.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that you can manage the solution from the cloud, so you don't have to be in the office to access the management console.

What needs improvement?

I don't think there are really any large areas of concern for me right now although it would be helpful if the endpoint security had a vulnerability scanner for management solutions built into it. It would mean that if, for example, a system had different patches it would also be able to report that to you.

I'd like to see more modules. The vulnerability management feature would be something I'd like to see in the next release so that most endpoint software had a patch management or a vulnerability management. It would mean that you would not have to rely on two different agents and workstations, one for patching and one for security. I believe Fortinet has this.

I've been using this solution for one year.

The solution is stable. Initially, some of our users complained that Micro Point was slowing down their system. That hasn't happened in the last four or five months so it may have been connected to their systems.

We haven't yet tested the solution for scalability.

We're very happy with the technical support, they respond quickly and are very helpful.

I've used Sophos a lot and have more experience with it. I prefer the Sophos portal, I think it's easier to use than Trend Micro in terms of navigating to a management portal. Sophos is actually pretty easy to deploy. I haven't deployed Trend Micro so I can't say how easy it is. Trend Micro could perhaps be more intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

I think all the solutions for endpoint protection are quite good, so if someone is looking for a product they should check the pricing because that's where the major difference is. Most of the solutions get the job done and they are good at detecting threats

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about Trend Micro, CrowdStrike, SentinelOne and others in Endpoint Protection for Business (EPP). Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MK
Head of IT Infrastructure at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to protect our OneDrive, SharePoint, and emails from malware

• "Allows us to protect OneDrive and SharePoint, and emails too."
  • "Lacking analytics and a machine learning technique."

What is our primary use case?

Smart Protection is a suite from Trend Micro for endpoint antivirus, called Apex One. It comes with sandbox and we also use the mail protection and the mail host gateway, which is part of the same bundle. It allows us to protect the OneDrive and SharePoint, and emails too.

What needs improvement?

The price of the product could be improved, other than that it's a perfect solution.

I'd like to see an enhanced dashboard in the next release. Previously, when we used it as an on-prem solution they offered us the reporting server, which was amazing. We were able to get a weekly report that could be customized. When we moved to cloud this feature wasn't available so the dashboard needs to be enhanced a little bit. It's also lacking analytics and a machine learning technique.

We've been using this product for five years.

I had some issues with technical support early on, there were some delays and I had difficulties raising a ticket with them. I haven't needed to use them in the past two years, so it's hard to comment - perhaps things have improved.

I had initially looked at moving to Microsoft this year but unfortunately, the price was too high so we stayed with Trend Micro.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to anyone. I don't have any issues with it.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

UB
Networking & Security Specialist at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Good pricing, stability and scalability

• "Technical support was perfect."
  • "Trend Micro is a little bit complicated when it comes to setting up special policies."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

We've decided to change to a different solution. We liked Trend Micro, however our colleagues in the United States used Cylance as their primary endpoint protection.

What needs improvement?

When we looked at Cylance, in comparison to Trend Micro, there are some features that seem to be better on Cylance than on Trend Micro. Cylance offers, for example, an easier management console and some functions are easier to implement.

You need to look deeper for special features, as it's not as obvious as Cylance, for example, which allows you to find items with just one click.

I've been using the solution for eight years.

We never had issues with stability.

We never had issues with scalability.

Technical support was perfect.

The pricing of the solution is reasonable. Often, Trend Micro will quote a price, and if you say it's too much, at the last minute they will reduce the offer dramatically. There are no additional costs over and above the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

We never got to test the cloud, but I believe there was a big advantage to using the cloud.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

ZB
Information Technology Security Assistant Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Very good capability for software protection; easy to use and reasonably priced

• "Able to quarantine any malware."
  • "Could include additional features such as an intrusion prevention system."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for the Malware protection and loss prevention, DIP. We have this deployed on-prem and also on cloud. I'm an information technology security assistant manager and we are customers of Trend Micro ServerProtect.

What is most valuable?

I liked that we could set the policy and quarantine any malware coming in. The solution is easy to use and it's reasonably priced. In terms of its capabilities for software protection, it covers our needs.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a Sandbox type of feature included. There are several features we don't use because they need some add-ons and some we'd like to see that are not included such as an intrusion prevention system. Having such a feature would mean that we wouldn't need to be dependent on the firewall.

We've been using this solution for seven years.

We've had a few issues but they're quite small. Sometimes there are problems with the configuration and we need to contact technical support.

We're satisfied with the technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward, it's just a matter of following the step-by-step instructions.

Licensing fees are fair for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and rate it an eight out of 10.

ZB
Good data loss prevention features and easy to use

• "The most valuable feature is Data Loss Prevention (DLP)."
  • "I would like to see SMS notifications sent as alerts, in case we do not have access to our email."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to protect our server and at the same time, we use it to monitor the DLP.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is Data Loss Prevention (DLP).

This solution easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see SMS notifications sent as alerts, in case we do not have access to our email. This way, we would know who is copying information outside of our data center.

When malicious activity is detected, the packets should be removed from the traffic and saved on our server for analysis.

We have been working with this solution for almost five years.

We have not had any issues in terms of stability.

Scalability has not been a problem.

We have enough support and we are satisfied with it.

Pricewise, this product is okay. I can't say that it is a problem for our company, but I have noticed that the price increases every year.

BobenGeorge
Sr.Customer Engineer- Projects at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Performance is very good

What is our primary use case?

I've talked about my use case in the other reviews for Apex One and Apex Central.

What is most valuable?

Performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

One thing I have been facing is that some fake threats have appeared that even Trend Micro was not able to clear up. It couldn't tell you why these threats are happening, where they are coming from and what cause it to occur.

For the past three years, I have been working exclusively with Trend Micro.

Scalability is good. I would say eight out of 10.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Trend Micro ServerProtect an 8.5 out of 10.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

For the past three years, I have been working exclusively with Trend Micro.

Scalability is good. I would say eight out of 10.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Trend Micro ServerProtect an 8.5 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Endpoint Protection for Business (EPP) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Trend Micro, CrowdStrike, SentinelOne, and more!